Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I'm not sure why destructive environments fall out of fashion. I can't think of a single game with it as a serious mechanic that was explicitly bad because of it off the top of my head.

They're kind of a bitch to implement unless you designed for it from the ground up.
Tons more work when you have to model what's inside walls, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Knocking the cashout box from the top floor to the bottom using RPGs and breach charges, where you have the area trapped up, to steal it and win :hfive:

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
only three thousand channels for all thirty members of the discord. can whoever is in charge of it please add more channels

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
you can do environments that don't destruct for like 20% as much work. also arguably destructability in AAA FPS basically died off with BF5 and then especially 2042. The huge map event stuff was kind of underwhelming and not that interesting after the first handful of times and it clearly took a ton of work to do, meanwhile that grew into the ridiculous ~map events~ in bf2042 which were almost universally hated because literally no one is trying to play an fps in a tornado that's just stupid

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Was the flamethrower good at some point? Because it doesn't feel that great when I'm hosing a light in the face point blank and they can out DPS me with a mac11
Yea it's great for securing kills and harassment but 1v1 it loses a lot of fights even in 'optimal' range.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The flamethrower was nerfed into the ground on release; compared to beta it lost range, damage, rate of fire, and they changed the graphics so it wasnt as blinding. its pretty much garbo atm. it can barely outdamage a heal beam

IMO they should make the flamethrower the alt fire of the goo gun

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Herstory Begins Now posted:

you can do environments that don't destruct for like 20% as much work. also arguably destructability in AAA FPS basically died off with BF5 and then especially 2042. The huge map event stuff was kind of underwhelming and not that interesting after the first handful of times and it clearly took a ton of work to do, meanwhile that grew into the ridiculous ~map events~ in bf2042 which were almost universally hated because literally no one is trying to play an fps in a tornado that's just stupid

Please don't point to the disappointing poo poo show that was 2042 and blame its destruction for why no one liked it.

No one likes it because it is a soulless derivation of previous concepts designed to suck money out of rubes. Also its loving boring.

Also the tornado did nothing.

This game looks interesting. I might give it a try when im less burned out on competitive fps.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
The only game I can think of with destruction, besides BF of old, was Red Faction and I believe it was more a single player series (I only played the first two)

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Bf2042 also had barely any destruction compared to previous iterations of battlefield which is another reason why it sucked.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
the battlefield series got chasing true dynamic destruction and eventually decided it was too difficult and wasn't worth it when all anyone ever wanted was more bad company 2

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

poor battlefield

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The flamethrower was nerfed into the ground on release; compared to beta it lost range, damage, rate of fire, and they changed the graphics so it wasnt as blinding. its pretty much garbo atm. it can barely outdamage a heal beam

IMO they should make the flamethrower the alt fire of the goo gun

I had the feeling its way worse than it used to be, judging by how many people were singing it's praises and yea - now it's laughably bad. Hilarious to use, especially on lights that think they can dodge out of being on fire - but I'm gonna switch to the shotgun I think.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

ZeusCannon posted:

Please don't point to the disappointing poo poo show that was 2042 and blame its destruction for why no one liked it.

No one likes it because it is a soulless derivation of previous concepts designed to suck money out of rubes. Also its loving boring.

Also the tornado did nothing.

This game looks interesting. I might give it a try when im less burned out on competitive fps.

ur reading that post backwards: it didn't have meaningful destruction, that's my entire point. destruction in the bf series morphed from basically the height of bfbc2 into some weird bastardized notion of destruction and weird 'destructive' map events by 2042 that was utterly soulless, in addition to the entire rest of the game being basically fps white bread

Kwolok posted:

Bf2042 also had barely any destruction compared to previous iterations of battlefield which is another reason why it sucked.

yeah that was what I was getting at^

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

the battlefield series got chasing true dynamic destruction and eventually decided it was too difficult and wasn't worth it when all anyone ever wanted was more bad company 2

yeah exactly

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 17, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Valve's recent documentary on Half Life had an interesting bit where at one point they had to define what fun was, and the definition they settled on was interactivity - the game responds to your actions. In 1998 that included things we regard as the default today, like bullet hole decals being left on a wall when you shoot it. But the principle is the same. Battlefield for some reason really decided to lean into big visual set pieces instead.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

figured out maxing out the fov helps with close range fights and far range through better recoil control

cons:
- enemies look like ants
- harder to hit with revolver farther out
- fisheye

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I have seen the light and the light is the loving HEAVY SHOTGUN
My god
Lights disappear when I look at them
Mediums flee but it is too late
Heavies with any other gun melt immediately

Fatty with shotgun, rpg, mines (for sticking to deposit boxes and staircases) and mesh shield/shield bubble - just disgusting.

Also the Bank It mode is way better than vault guarding gametype - y'all were right.
If the vaults gave out incremental rewards along the way it'd be more interesting, but as is the only poo poo that matters is the fight 15 seconds before the timer finishes.
Hell, there should be a small reward for being the ones to claim the initial box, too- something like 2500 for being the first to the box, 10K at 5 increments, and 10K for the 'final' capture.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

^Basically how the tourney rules work

Well not exactly but they are way better. You need team discipline tho.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Tourney is amusing since you can just make the box the 1st place team's problem if you're already in a qualifying position.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

My problem with bank it is it seems like the defensive part of the game just doesn't exist for it, it's kind of just a race. The game seems designed around setting up defenses and also attacking them.

It is a fun mode though but I still prefer quick cash.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

amitlu posted:

My problem with bank it is it seems like the defensive part of the game just doesn't exist for it, it's kind of just a race. The game seems designed around setting up defenses and also attacking them.

It is a fun mode though but I still prefer quick cash.

Oh you can absolutely play defense and its how i win most of my games: mining the poo poo out of the oldest deposit and running to the fresh one, in an endless cycle of exploding lights delivering their riches to you.
Just have to stay ahead of the pack and most of the time the teams will fight each other behind you, send their fast dudes ahead - and they feed you their coins.

Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp6zCXikTv8
(ideal circumstances displayed)

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Dec 19, 2023

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Any recommendations on what to unlock first for each class?

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Any recommendations on what to unlock first for each class?

Heavy - Dome shield

Medium - Explosive Mines

Light - cloak

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Infidelicious posted:

Heavy - Dome shield

Medium - Explosive Mines

Light - cloak

Disagree. Light: glitch grenades
Medium: gas mines or glitch mines

Yours are good no doubt but glitch grenades win games.

Dome shield is a categorical must though yeah

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

In terms of weapons I really like the repeater for the medium class (model 1887?) it hits like a truck and doesn’t require pixel perfect aim. (The AK is very good too)

For the heavy the Lewis is my go-to, I’ve tried the auto shotgun because people seem to love it but it’s micro reload every 4 shots has hosed me time and again so I’ve ditched it and not looked back.

Bank it and tournaments are the best game modes, Quick cash is just a bad version of tournament so I don’t really see the point of it. (unranked tournament is available when you don’t want the sweatiness of ranked)

I just hope they do something about cheaters because I’ve seen a couple already and I would hate to see such a fun game ruined by lack of support.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

For the heavy the Lewis is my go-to, I’ve tried the auto shotgun because people seem to love it but it’s micro reload every 4 shots has hosed me time and again so I’ve ditched it and not looked back.

Amen. The shotgun is amazing when you can just delete someone up close, but that 4 round re-rack gets me every time. I feel like it needs a more visible animation or something at least. Lewis gun all the way.

I haven't unlocked done shield yet but I love the mesh shield. It's really funny to stutter step anyone using a non-automatic weapon with it. It has a relatively short recovery on deactivation, so you can make people waste a lot of ammo while getting a few shots of your own in. It's great when you get by surprise.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Kwolok posted:

Disagree. Light: glitch grenades
Medium: gas mines or glitch mines

Yours are good no doubt but glitch grenades win games.

Dome shield is a categorical must though yeah

Glitch grenades require positioning and game sense, both of which are easier to develop when you're not getting merc'd because grappling hook is on cd.

Medium starts with gas mines, but they're actually pretty dangerous to yourself and teammates outside defending a cashout. Ex mines are safer and more generally useful IME.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
also you can put explosive mines on things and throw them at people which is fun. i mean you can do that with gas mines as well i guess but its less fun because there isn't an explosion.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Snooze Cruise posted:

also you can put explosive mines on things and throw them at people which is fun. i mean you can do that with gas mines as well i guess but its less fun because there isn't an explosion.

I put my vote in for explosive mines almost solely because they 1-shot lights, and one shotting lights is cathartic beyond measure.
Also they let you be clever and mine staircases, doors, ceilings above jump pads, etc - get creative. You get a tone of mileage out of putting the mines on objectives, but if you can mine approaches you'll become Pure Evil and have people rage-add you after games.

Demoman build is wonderful. Adding the turret to it really stepped it up another level of fuckery.
(just need to unlock the beanie)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSb8BeJ_2Bk

My only real gripe with the game is this inconsistent feeling with some of the damage. Sometimes pipes do less damage to people fighting me than they do to me.
Sometimes the light sawn-off one-shots me as a heavy. Sometimes the auto-shotgun 2 taps people, sometimes it takes 4+ shots to do half their health - hard to say if its weird hit reg or my aim being off but something just feels a LITTLE fucky sometimes.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

DarkDobe posted:

My only real gripe with the game is this inconsistent feeling with some of the damage. Sometimes pipes do less damage to people fighting me than they do to me.
Sometimes the light sawn-off one-shots me as a heavy. Sometimes the auto-shotgun 2 taps people, sometimes it takes 4+ shots to do half their health - hard to say if its weird hit reg or my aim being off but something just feels a LITTLE fucky sometimes.

There's definitely something going on, twice now I've been in situations where the same amount of damage was displayed but I died and they didn't and I was at full health, with neither getting heals. Maybe they're doing fractional damage and not displaying it? EG, they did 260.4 damage while I did 260.3999

edit - in both cases it showed 260 damage and mediums only have 250. So yeah, something odd.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

i got four skins at once on my akm at the at moment

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

TremorX posted:

There's definitely something going on, twice now I've been in situations where the same amount of damage was displayed but I died and they didn't and I was at full health, with neither getting heals. Maybe they're doing fractional damage and not displaying it? EG, they did 260.4 damage while I did 260.3999

edit - in both cases it showed 260 damage and mediums only have 250. So yeah, something odd.

There...seems to be 1HP protection/some kind of damage reduction going on; I dunno if it's capping damage on limb shots or what but I lose a lot of fights where they're at a sliver, and I've taken hits I was sure should kill me that left me between 1-5 HP

Which, if so and that's not just me making poo poo up/being lucky with a small sample size, really does make automatic weapons a lot more powerful than they already are

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

DarkDobe posted:

i thought i was just bad at first but yeah it's definitely a bit inconsistent

playing with the light shotgun is especially noticeable because sometimes it just doesn't do the damage it should and it gets you killed

i assume it's a latency thing?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/reachthefinals/status/1737418932594597933?t=gBNSWiSkwNyT54t7m-0B8Q&s=19
https://twitter.com/reachthefinals/status/1737434810656698800?t=lhGw7l344LNP5EpTE3MrIA&s=19

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

lmao we've been able to put zipline anchors on throwable items?! can't believe I never thought to try. sounds like they've just erased the ability to one shot a Light with a mine

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Herstory Begins Now posted:

ur reading that post backwards: it didn't have meaningful destruction, that's my entire point.

Welp I'm a moron. I agree with you completely then.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
As someone who doesn't really play a ton of FPS games, this looked interesting so I picked it up. I've gotta say I'm having a blast so far and really surprised more people aren't talking about this.

The cash gimmick is interesting, the balance seems pretty good outside of a few minor tweaks that they seem aware of, and overall it's just a ton of fun. I'm looking forward to seeing what this brings beyond the first season.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Not sure how to feel about removing mine 1-shots on lights.

Game is fun, generally, but light vs heavy matchups feel more annoying than fun from both sides.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
It's really cool that they're so willing to quickly change clear balance issues. I'm surprised though they didn't touch the light double barrel.

Also grappling hook needs to come off cool down twice as fast imo

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Give everyone the grapple hook. And wall run. Also add a mode where you call in a Titan drop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

FastestGunAlive posted:

Give everyone the grapple hook. And wall run. Also add a mode where you call in a Titan drop