Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rolo posted:

Decky is slowly becoming my most played game.

Just sitting here tinkering with poo poo, making it pretty. Those who post in the third party retro consoles thread get it.

Is it just me, or is there a huge lack of really good themes? I'm using Outrun with the dark blue and pink scheme, which is great, but other than some theme based around Persona, a game series I've never even given any thought to, none of the themes really stick out.

Also, what does that "Switch-like interface" theme do? It still looks like the SteamOS interface to me :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

jokes posted:

Final Fantasy 12 is a perfect Deck game because it's also a perfect game

Ruining the :emptyquote: FF12 is a perfect game because it's a Yasumi Matsuno game - also the one that broke him, sadly.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 19, 2023

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Does the Deck version have the 4x Fast Forward feature?

Because it was a hell of a trip playing it on Switch that fast. Especially on the world map.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

parasyte posted:

it sure does. ff13fix works on pc and deck to work around some of the worst bits of xiii and xiii-2 at least. it was kind of fragile but I got through them alright. hard to tell how much of that was my deck's half-updated set of decky plugins and other manual tweaks though

One of my partners was playing it and man, the hitches on loading a battle would get to me. It was okay after it loaded but was pretty annoying to see when I was playing it along side him since I wanted to be able to help as stuff came up and it's been years since I last played.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Hammer Bro. posted:

Does the Deck version have the 4x Fast Forward feature?

Because it was a hell of a trip playing it on Switch that fast. Especially on the world map.

Pretty sure that's built into The Zodiac Age version on all platforms, so yes.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It has the 4x and the infinite gil/LP

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

jokes posted:

It has the 4x and the infinite gil/LP

I think all the FF re-releases have this nowadays.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So I'm assuming linux Moonlight just doesn't support HDR to the OLED Deck yet? Can't get it working. Does it work when docked to an HDR external display?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

So I'm assuming linux Moonlight just doesn't support HDR to the OLED Deck yet? Can't get it working. Does it work when docked to an HDR external display?

Its not supported yet.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MarcusSA posted:

Its not supported yet.

That makes me feel better then. I imagine it's in the works since these just came out.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Rolo posted:

That makes me feel better then. I imagine it's in the works since these just came out.

I wouldn't hold out a ton of hope on sunlight/moonlight. The devs in sunlight haven't even pushed the build to the Fedora 39 repos yet and 39 has been out for like a month and a half.

I tried opening an issue or two in the past with them, and they just get snippy on github close the issue and tell people to talk about the issue on discord instead (and then don't respond there)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Nitrousoxide posted:

I wouldn't hold out a ton of hope on sunlight/moonlight. The devs in sunlight haven't even pushed the build to the Fedora 39 repos yet and 39 has been out for like a month and a half.

I tried opening an issue or two in the past with them, and they just get snippy on github close the issue and tell people to talk about the issue on discord instead (and then don't respond there)

Is there something better if I want my streaming setup to have HDR? PC to Deck I don’t care as much but getting it on my TV is important.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

Is there something better if I want my streaming setup to have HDR? PC to Deck I don’t care as much but getting it on my TV is important.

Afaik none of the desktop streaming apps have HDR. Parsec was working on it a year ago with no updates so maybe it’s not as easy as it seems I dunno.

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Sunshine mentions HDR in their docs but it seems like its presently limited to just Windows hosts with GPUs that support HDR and that Windows recognizes as having an HDR compatible display device plugged in already. They also mention that older HDR games that don't use the Windows HDR library are likely to not work.

In theory you might be able to install Windows on the Deck but that is so far into wildlands territory that support is unlikely if you hit an issue.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Nitrousoxide posted:

The controller plugin they use to translate controller inputs has also been abandoned by its dev so I wonder how much longer Sunshine has for this world.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
Moonlight is actively working on deck HDR and you can mess around with it if you want to use the early builds: https://github.com/moonlight-stream/moonlight-qt/issues/1117

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yay!

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I have an HDR display on my desktop and I can't get any streaming to work to Deck without the colors being totally blown out. This happens on Steam remote play and sunshine/moonlight, so idk. I have to completely disable HDR in my winders settings to get it to look right while streaming to Deck.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Did anyone else get to the Key Cave in Link’s Awakening on the DX HD version? I can’t jump across the gap to get the Big Key. I bombed the wall to the left side so I have enough space to do the Pegasus Boots jump, but I can’t seem to make the jump. It’s never given me this trouble on past versions. I’m wondering if there’s something wrong here?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Did anyone else get to the Key Cave in Link’s Awakening on the DX HD version? I can’t jump across the gap to get the Big Key. I bombed the wall to the left side so I have enough space to do the Pegasus Boots jump, but I can’t seem to make the jump. It’s never given me this trouble on past versions. I’m wondering if there’s something wrong here?

could be a bug, the game is rewritten from scratch so i hear there's a lot of issues

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I didn't get that far yet but I have found the hole physics to be far more aggressive than any other version. They really suck you in if you are only a couple pixels towards the edge

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

could be a bug, the game is rewritten from scratch so i hear there's a lot of issues

Dang, I was afraid it was something like that. Nintendo taking it down means it probably won’t get any big fixes.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I wonder if the boots jump is hosed up by not allowing for multiple inputs like how you can’t hold up your shield and swing your sword like you’re supposed to be able to.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

History Comes Inside! posted:

I wonder if the boots jump is hosed up by not allowing for multiple inputs like how you can’t hold up your shield and swing your sword like you’re supposed to be able to.

You also can't jump over the first mini bosses rolling pin attack if you hold your sword out, which was never previously the case. You bounce off of it and then get hit by it, unless you jump over it without using your sword.

It may be some button combos can't be pressed at the same time, in terms of dash jumping, so maybe try assigning them to some different buttons.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I hope the project comes back with bug fixes and they do it like Ship and the other projects where you gotta inject the original ROM.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s nuts that whoever it was did what was presumably a shitload of work to make the unified map and everything else but missed out a pretty fundamental mechanic

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s nuts that whoever it was did what was presumably a shitload of work to make the unified map and everything else but missed out a pretty fundamental mechanic

It’s perfect in the spirit of casual emulation. Make it look pretty, see that it runs, play the first 15 minutes, then never touch it again.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

Dang, I was afraid it was something like that. Nintendo taking it down means it probably won’t get any big fixes.

The source code was also released when it was published so theoretically anyone could fix this and post it somewhere

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Detective No. 27 posted:

The dev included the source code, so it might still stick to around on the private sites. Not sure how much dev work goes on there, but the code won't disappear.

E, fb

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

The source code was also released when it was published so theoretically anyone could fix this and post it somewhere

tell me about myhouse.wad on deck!!

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

MarcusSA posted:

Afaik none of the desktop streaming apps have HDR. Parsec was working on it a year ago with no updates so maybe it’s not as easy as it seems I dunno.

Supposedly sunshine (or Nvidia gamestream instead of sunshine on the PC end) and moonlight on the device end can get HDR to work on the Nvidia shield tv but the display on your PC has to also support HDR. It may have similar restrictions to sunshine where it mainly works on games that support windows HDR.

PC gaming HDR is still pretty hit or miss even in 2023 without adding streaming to it honestly.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 20, 2023

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
does flipping on hdr manually bring hdr support? hdrtray is a really neat windows app for enabling and disabling it for the games that require it to be active to even unlock hdr like bg3

e: my monitor nominally supports hdr, and apple tv is sent an hdr signal when i enable it and stream through moonlight/sunshine fwiw

it's probably still a mess without windows 11's tonemapping if you're using win10

kliras fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 20, 2023

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

beep by grandpa posted:

123 not it!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I now have permanent entries in my library for the enemy and item randomiser mods for Dark Souls, they work perfectly and you can jump in to reroll them at a moment's notice. Thoroughly recommended if you want a casual playthrough but need to mix things up.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I now have permanent entries in my library for the enemy and item randomiser mods for Dark Souls, they work perfectly and you can jump in to reroll them at a moment's notice. Thoroughly recommended if you want a casual playthrough but need to mix things up.

Got a quick guide on how to get mods like that? I assume they're for the remaster edition.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

tell me about myhouse.wad on deck!!

It was running perfectly and while I didnt get that far, all of the perspective and vertical layering tricks worked so I cant imagine the more crazy stuff down the road breaking. If you need help getting it running let me know since theres really no barrier for entry to try it other than own doom 2 or at least have access to DOOM2.WAD

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

njsykora posted:

The controller plugin they use to translate controller inputs has also been abandoned by its dev so I wonder how much longer Sunshine has for this world.
This is the big rub for me. I prefer playing BG3 on gamepad and it just suddenly stopped working over Moonlight/Sunshine a few weeks ago and I haven’t been able to get it working since.

Steam streaming technically works but runs like absolute garbage for some reason. My deck is on Wi-Fi admittedly but Moonlight was silky smooth.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are “Sunlight” and “Sunshine” different pieces of streaming tech? I’m having trouble following this conversation.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Moonlight is the client, and Sunshine is the server. People are just crossing the second syllables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Whats the advantage of moonlight/sunshine from using the steamlink app to stream? Ive never heard of these before the last page