Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

don't even worry about attributes, go with the defaults

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Half-orc barbarian

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I honestly don't think you can go wrong as a new player on balanced. Like Jay said use the default attributes and play whatever race/class you want.

Every archetype you need in the party will be covered by the npcs you recruit so it's not like you can screw yourself by picking the wrong thing

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Waffleopolis posted:

Okay so I bought BG3 months ago, and I have yet to play it. It's a combination of being nervous trying a new genre, being distracted by other games, and various other daily poo poo. Gonna pull the band-aid and get this going.

So I want to start with a custom character, but I have no clue on what to choose, and I want you all to pick.

Note that I never played an RPG like Baldur's Gate before, I know nothing about the previous games, and have incredibly little knowledge of D&D.

So to a new and somewhat lost idiot like myself, what combination of race and class should I choose? You can also suggest what attributes I should look into.

I'd say be a human or half elf bard and invest in Charisma, with Dexterity second. You'll have the most success with dialog options, have reasonable skill at being a sneak thief, and provide great support to any other combination of characters you want to put in your party.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

Waffleopolis posted:

what combination of race and class should I choose? You can also suggest what attributes I should look into.

Half-elf or Human bard, and favor Charisma and Dexterity as much as possible.

So yeah, what the other guy said

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Waffleopolis posted:

Okay so I bought BG3 months ago, and I have yet to play it. It's a combination of being nervous trying a new genre, being distracted by other games, and various other daily poo poo. Gonna pull the band-aid and get this going.

So I want to start with a custom character, but I have no clue on what to choose, and I want you all to pick.

Note that I never played an RPG like Baldur's Gate before, I know nothing about the previous games, and have incredibly little knowledge of D&D.

So to a new and somewhat lost idiot like myself, what combination of race and class should I choose? You can also suggest what attributes I should look into.

Be a Dragonborn Paladin. Look into Strength and Charisma.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I would also resist the urge to read this thread and binge youtube tutorials. Going into this game almost completely blind on my first playthrough was an amazing experience and I envy anyone who is playing through BG3 for the first time. Just go with the flow and see where the story takes you, you'll thank me later.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
But do follow the ideas of:

- there is no real urgency at the start of the game despite the implication
- long rest often
- don't fear the worms

Have fun!!

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
F5 is quicksave, F8 quickload

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

TraderStav posted:

But do follow the ideas of:

- there is no real urgency at the start of the game despite the implication
- long rest often
- don't fear the worms

Have fun!!

Also, there's so many branches in the plot and quests that don't save scum, live with your choices and have a wonderful unique adventure. No need to optimize for anything but fun!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I was just thinking, about the Actor feat, so it gives you EXPERTISE in deception and performance, even if you don’t have them tagged. So… if you HAVE tagged either of them, does it let you then tag another skill for free? Because that’d be real friendly

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Larry Cum Free posted:

So I'm doing a Durge run now, and I want to know if what I'm trying to do works/makes sense. I want to RP a dumb, Dudley Do-right rear end paladin who always makes the moral upstanding choice when it's not Durge related, but always gives in to the dark urge suggestions (except involving recruiting companions, because I missed a ton my first playthrough and want to try them out). Without getting too spoilery about Durge-specific stuff, does this make any sense, or do you have to kind of follow a good character = resist urge model?

Giving into the urge will break your oath really quick.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

TraderStav posted:

Also, there's so many branches in the plot and quests that don't save scum, live with your choices and have a wonderful unique adventure. No need to optimize for anything but fun!

Counterpoint: savescum as much as you like, you will know in your heart where the line is.

I like to savescum interactions to see if/how I can break them

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Halfling Bard was my very first Tav and an excellent first time character to experience the game with. I don't think I rolled a single 1 on any speech check.

Boogan
May 1, 2005

f off
Any ideas on how I can quickly break a Paladin Oath in Act 2? Currently Paladin of the Ancients.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Waffleopolis posted:

I know this will feel like a non answer, but just follow your gut. All I'll say is look at the recommended attribute distribution for whatever class you go with, and stick fairly close to that.
The game will be hard at first, not because it's a hard game but because low level dungeons and dragons sucks rear end. Later, the game will get so easy that minmax poo poo is utterly unnecessary.

Pick something you're excited about. The game will provide ways to roleplay whatever you pick.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Halfling Bard was my very first Tav and an excellent first time character to experience the game with. I don't think I rolled a single 1 on any speech check.

yeah, bard is my prime recommendation for any brand new players who don't know what kind of dude they want. you get a very strong base class with a little bit of everything, 3 subclasses that all cater to different playstyles, and a zillion skills that allow you to make things as sureproof or uncertain as you'd care to have in a first time playthrough

as for race: pick whatever you like the most aesthetically, as they make a very small difference overall beyond highly minmaxed builds. if you're really stuck, wood elf is a rock solid choice for most characters, since you get bonus movement speed, two free proficiencies, immunity to sleep, and don't look like a gremlin or a lizard bug

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

feller posted:

Halfling barbarian

Fixed.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

BG3 was my first RPG as well and I think playing fighter as your first character is pretty nice because it reduces all thoughts down to “should I hit this guy? Ok” Thematically I wanted to play a monk off the bat but knowing nothing about RPGs made need some training wheels for learning everything else first.

Also? Play on Explorer! No shame in that at all

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Trevor Hale posted:

BG3 was my first RPG as well and I think playing fighter as your first character is pretty nice because it reduces all thoughts down to “should I hit this guy? Ok” Thematically I wanted to play a monk off the bat but knowing nothing about RPGs made need some training wheels for learning everything else first.

Your calculus for fighter works pretty well for monk tbh, they're not much more complicated

And yeah explorer is great if you're new to RPGs in general. I am not new to RPGs but I am bad at them, and I definitely struggled with a few things on balanced, it can be pretty tricky in some cases depending on what you're working with.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 20, 2023

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Trevor Hale posted:

Fighters are my favourite class I think. I feel like people tend to overlook them because they're boring, but I really enjoy having one in the party. You get heaps of feats, you hit like a truck, and battlemasters especially are absurdly powerful. Just trip everything and then hit them 5 times in a row when they're down. Battlemaster Laezel was definitely MVP in my honour mode run.

They're also nice and straightforward. IMO it can get overwhelming on level ups and in fights when you have too many characters with too many options. You gotta pick which spells to learn, to have ready, which to use on any given turn, then you gotta manage concentration and buffs and scrolls and whatever else. With a fighter its just "hit that guy really hard". It's nice to have at least one very simple character in your party.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Just like in tabletop! Gale spends five minutes deliberating what he wants to do on his turn, and Lae'zel just says "I hit it with my halberd."

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Thundarr posted:

Just like in tabletop! Gale spends five minutes deliberating what he wants to do on his turn, and Lae'zel just says "I hit it with my halberd."

Yeah and it kinda sucks in tabletop because you're only playing one character so you get bored. But when you're controlling 4? Fighters rule.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Hi thread! Could someone give me a rundown of how local coop for BG3 works? I googled and feel like I’m reading contradicting things. Debating picking it up for my wife and I to try out but want to be able to give her the right expectations going in, ha. Basically looking for some info on how integrated player 2 is. Do they get to make story decisions and have their player character participate in cutscenes and stuff (thinking of like party choices in SWTOR), or is it more just a silent companion who happens to be player controlled while P1 gets all the glory? Combat duties split, etc.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Schwawa posted:

Fighters are my favourite class I think. I feel like people tend to overlook them because they're boring, but I really enjoy having one in the party. You get heaps of feats, you hit like a truck, and battlemasters especially are absurdly powerful. Just trip everything and then hit them 5 times in a row when they're down. Battlemaster Laezel was definitely MVP in my honour mode run.

They're also nice and straightforward. IMO it can get overwhelming on level ups and in fights when you have too many characters with too many options. You gotta pick which spells to learn, to have ready, which to use on any given turn, then you gotta manage concentration and buffs and scrolls and whatever else. With a fighter its just "hit that guy really hard". It's nice to have at least one very simple character in your party.

I like Eldritch Knight a lot and have made Lae'zel that a few times.

Having the wizard spell "Shield" on a tank is amazing. Oh you thought you were gonna hit Lae'zel this round? Good luck getting through heavy armor ac + 5 more from the spell.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Waffleopolis posted:

I agree with those saying don't worry about it too much, I played on normal difficulty and was a wizard with like 9 charisma, did a whole lot of persuade/intimidate/whatever rolls, lost like half of them but that doesn't matter too much and is actually pretty hilarious sometimes, everything worked out fine and I didn't really have any issues in the game

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Schwawa posted:

Any advice for getting the battle master abilities to land consistently? My party is only level 5, but enemies get successful saves on Lae'zel's trip and disarm skills almost every time I use them. I think I've pulled off a disarm once.

Besides using my warlock's hex to debuff the target's strength or dex saves first, what else should I be doing to set those abilities up?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Thundarr posted:

Enough waiting, I crave blood!

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Hulk Krogan posted:

Any advice for getting the battle master abilities to land consistently? My party is only level 5, but enemies get successful saves on Lae'zel's trip and disarm skills almost every time I use them. I think I've pulled off a disarm once.

Besides using my warlock's hex to debuff the target's strength or dex saves first, what else should I be doing to set those abilities up?

Not really at level 5, other than just try again, lol. You get four tries to trip/disarm/push somebody with action surge. Your superiority dice (and action surge) reset on a short rest so don't be afraid to burn through em. If you're strength focus then chug those giant potions. Early in act three though you can buy gloves that give targets disadvantage on all maneuvers (Gauntlets of the Warmaster from Danthelon).

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
You have oil of accuracy that you'll otherwise never use, so that's an option too. Otherwise look for ways to gain advantage like a wolfheart barbarian buddy.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

I always forget that the oils and poisons exist

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Good call. I really need to go through and properly set up the radial menus for all my characters, because digging through the inventory for oils and scrolls on console isn't the best.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Taking the GWM feat too early kills Lae'zel's accuracy, you can click off the extra damage range and just take the bonus action effect.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I waited on that feat for exactly that reason! I figured there would probably be ways to mitigate the accuracy hit later in the game and took the +2 stat points instead

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I feel bad i can’t pull that spear out of the owlbear is it even possible?

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I think Rangers make pretty decent first characters, too. A bit of martial, a little spell casting, a lot of damage.

Like others have said, you basically can’t go wrong. Do what’s exciting so you’re not just restarting constantly. Be aware that your party’s classes can be completely respecced for basically pocket change so you’re not stuck if you end up not liking something.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Someone ruined Astarion for me by pointing out that he sounds like Stewie Griffin.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Geekboy posted:

I think Rangers make pretty decent first characters, too. A bit of martial, a little spell casting, a lot of damage.

Both Beast Master and Hunter can be very capable straight level 12 builds. Volley is awesome, and some of the animal companion abilities you get later on are pretty strong.

Volley is treated as an AOE attack, so it can bypass Sanctuary and mark invisible enemies.

I think Gloomstalker is better suited to multiclassing as the best abilities are front-loaded

grack fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 20, 2023

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Fifteen of Many posted:

Hi thread! Could someone give me a rundown of how local coop for BG3 works? I googled and feel like I’m reading contradicting things. Debating picking it up for my wife and I to try out but want to be able to give her the right expectations going in, ha. Basically looking for some info on how integrated player 2 is. Do they get to make story decisions and have their player character participate in cutscenes and stuff (thinking of like party choices in SWTOR), or is it more just a silent companion who happens to be player controlled while P1 gets all the glory? Combat duties split, etc.

Basically, whichever player triggers any given event gets to be "player 1" for that event, and the other player gets to watch. Sometimes it felt kinda random which player the game would pick to be in charge for a story event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Wyll (and general) Act 3 Spoilers: Apparently completing the Iron Throne before going to Gortash's ceremony makes him fully hostile :v: whoopsies! Also it's a shame you can't non-lethal the Duke, it'll be interesting to see how the eternal pact stuff shows up in the epilogue I guess?

It's pretty funny though that you knock him out, then he erupts into flame and your Tav is like: I swear that was supposed to be non-lethal, it must be the absolute's doing! I was hoping Wyll might have something to say about that since he was with me, but he just acted like I stumbled in and attacked Gortash head on