Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Do you think the average Dane was involved? Norway was just as complicit as Denmark in our colonialism and slavery. Hell, "Danish" slavery in the Caribbean was started by a Norwegian merchant from Bergen, even if it was obviously at the behest of the Danish king. The Kingdom of Denmark-Norway was a partnership between (upper-class) equals, which explains why the Norwegian upper class immediately attempted to rejoin Denmark at the end of the Napoleonic wars.

i do think there's a meaningful danish national character to the absolute monarchy based in copenhagen tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I just wanted to use the meme, frankly.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Anders posted:

I assume you're talking about the Norse and thralls? 'cause that was about 800 years prior, and thralls weren't traded in any extent afaik

We did participate thanks to being in a personal union with the Danes, but Norwegian ships and sailors were the exception rather than the rule

I mean, slave trafficking was one of the biggest moneymakers for the vikings, so slaves were absolutely traded.

zokie posted:

Statare was a thing in Sweden long into the 20th century and many of them were de facto serfs, while not chattel slavery we don’t have to look back far for this sort of thing. (Or at all if looking outside of what is legal)

Was a thing that started pretty late to begin with, in the major land consolidations of the 18th and 19th centuries that left alot of peasants landless and were pushed into a rural prekariat of sorts. but yeah it lasted until embarassingly late (until like 1950 i think?). Had a very old uni lecturer who sometimes told anecdotes about his life, once mentioned some interaction he had with local statare, a reminder that it is still in living memory.

Before that (medieval times) you had farmhands employed by nobility and land-owning peasants that were basically considereded "omyndiga", with legal agreements, marriage and so on were decided for them by their employers, like a conservatorship, but with the right to physically discipline them.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 18, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Den som använder en meme på andra, blir oftast en meme själv.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I feel like my playful jab at Denmark spiraled a bit out of control.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Interestingly enough, the Vikings did a whole lot of trade and what would probably classify as colonization - except that at least for the latter, the reason there's not much evidence of it today, is that the Vikings simply embedded themselves into the existing societies (or died out, like in Great Vineland).

All the same, the trick to having done some absolutely atrocious things is, to borrow a phrase from David Mitchell, to have done it a long time ago and convince everyone you were wearing funny hats when doing it - because the raping, pillaging, and other atrocities of the Vikings isn't really treated with the same seriousness as what other Empires have done throughout history.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Anders posted:

I tried once to confirm this but didn't find any sources to back this up (I was trying to argue that Norway has just as dark a past under colonialism as other European nations). But I'd be happy if you have any sources that Norway was as bad as Denmark I'd appreciate it

This is cherry-picking worse than my original joke - the upper class in Norway consisted mostly of Danes. Henrik Wergeland called the period "400 years of Darkness" just 20 years after Norway was ceded to Sweden, so it was far from a popular notion
Did that upper class leave? Like, if we're going to be playing that game, Denmark can just foist responsibility off on our German upper class.

Anders posted:

edit: Jørgen Thormøhlen was born in Holstein when that was a part of the Danish crown lands, if we're getting technical about it
Holstein was never part of the Danish crown, it was merely held by the Danish king under a different title. :colbert:

big scary monsters posted:

Yeah I'm not sure any country in Europe comes off well in a game of "crimes of empire", which makes it a silly game to play if you don't have a point to go with it. Maybe there is one country somewhere that somehow missed out on all the plundering, but it's not Norway.
The Baltic and Balkan nations probably come out looking the best, having primarily been the victims of empire during the height of European crimes.

Taking into account 20th century crimes, I guess we're left with like Slovenia and Albania perhaps?

V. Illych L. posted:

i do think there's a meaningful danish national character to the absolute monarchy based in copenhagen tbh
What part of it was particularly Danish? The monarchy was German to the point that our king tried to secretly join a German federation in the 19th century.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What part of it was particularly Danish? The monarchy was German to the point that our king tried to secretly join a German federation in the 19th century.

the court and military officers all being trained in the danish language in institutions in denmark, all national authority being centralised through a building in denmark, danish being the language of public administration, etc

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the culture war manifestation of the backlash to danicisation in norway, Målstriden, just produced a nobel prize in literature

it's highly kartoffel-brained to suggest that denmark-norway was some kind of equal partnership

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Languagequeer germans. LBGTS'GU.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

the culture war manifestation of the backlash to danicisation in norway, Målstriden, just produced a nobel prize in literature

it's highly kartoffel-brained to suggest that denmark-norway was some kind of equal partnership
I'm not sure a country producing a nationalist culture war is evidence of anything. Besides, the only reason you think of Danish as a unified language is because the same process took place here, and continued after Norway came under Swedish control. Which is my point. Denmark and Norway were equal in the fact that they were territories ruled from Copenhagen, by people speaking German and courtly Danish (an upper class sociolect spoken in the immediate vicinity of Copenhagen), who didn't really care about anywhere else beyond what was required to keep or gain control of it. Obviously Copenhagen was top dog, but it was very much Copenhagen running the show, not Denmark.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm not sure a country producing a nationalist culture war is evidence of anything. Besides, the only reason you think of Danish as a unified language is because the same process took place here, and continued after Norway came under Swedish control. Which is my point. Denmark and Norway were equal in the fact that they were territories ruled from Copenhagen, by people speaking German and courtly Danish (an upper class sociolect spoken in the immediate vicinity of Copenhagen), who didn't really care about anywhere else beyond what was required to keep or gain control of it. Obviously Copenhagen was top dog, but it was very much Copenhagen running the show, not Denmark.

You're not wrong, but you're also describing a pretty clear divide based on class more than geography. The ruling elite lived (Mette is from Aalborg, clearly things have changed) in Copenhagen, but plenty of people in Copenhagen were not elites. I think the elite part is the essential thing, their location is mostly incidental.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Interestingly enough, the Vikings did a whole lot of trade and what would probably classify as colonization - except that at least for the latter, the reason there's not much evidence of it today, is that the Vikings simply embedded themselves into the existing societies (or died out, like in Great Vineland).

All the same, the trick to having done some absolutely atrocious things is, to borrow a phrase from David Mitchell, to have done it a long time ago and convince everyone you were wearing funny hats when doing it - because the raping, pillaging, and other atrocities of the Vikings isn't really treated with the same seriousness as what other Empires have done throughout history.

The Norse conquests of Normandy and England definitely count as early colonialism, but yeah, a lot more Roman style divide and conquer, but with pretty lax connection to the homeland.
But the actual point I wanted to bring up is the theory that the Norse Greenland colony might actually have just assimilated into the native Greenlandic population because the whole agriculture and trade style of life didn't work out.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Nice piece of fish posted:

Booo.

I boo that.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

BonHair posted:

You're not wrong, but you're also describing a pretty clear divide based on class more than geography. The ruling elite lived (Mette is from Aalborg, clearly things have changed) in Copenhagen, but plenty of people in Copenhagen were not elites. I think the elite part is the essential thing, their location is mostly incidental.
Yeah, that's my mistake, I fell victim to the same tendency towards generalization as the Norwegian nationalists. Should have written upper-class in Copenhagen rather than just Copenhagen.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Anders posted:

Henrik Wergeland called the period "400 years of Darkness"

that was Ibsen in the 1860s, not that Wergeland wasn't critical of the period as well.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

ulvir posted:

that was Ibsen in the 1860s, not that Wergeland wasn't critical of the period as well.

You're right, my bad

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

A Buttery Pastry posted:

so your claim here is that copenhagen is/was not a meaningfully danish city in denmark. this is nonsense, sorry.

i agree that there are similarities to be had between the danish periphery and the norwegian holdings, but if we accept that there is such a thing as a danish and a norwegian nation then copenhagen very definitely forms the centre of the danish nation during the union period. it is denmark-norway, after all, not copenhagen-jutland-norway or whatever

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

so your claim here is that copenhagen is/was not a meaningfully danish city in denmark. this is nonsense, sorry.
No.

V. Illych L. posted:

i agree that there are similarities to be had between the danish periphery and the norwegian holdings, but if we accept that there is such a thing as a danish and a norwegian nation then copenhagen very definitely forms the centre of the danish nation during the union period.
The Danish nation was hammered into being in the 19th century, following the Struensee debacle and the loss of Norway and Slesvig-Holstein. Before that point, the Danish identity, such as it was, referred to the larger imperial identity that encompassed all the peoples of the realm.

V. Illych L. posted:

it is denmark-norway, after all, not copenhagen-jutland-norway or whatever
This is specious reasoning. Just because a state is given a name does not mean the name is representative of the state. You could just as well argue that it is evidence that Norway was at least understood as a thing worthy of seeing as a separate thing, while most of Denmark was just lumped under the hegemony of Copenhagen and ignored.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

I certainly wouldn't mind if you said that the upper class in Denmark, most of which lived in Copenhagen, were not meaningfully Danish at various points. But that has to do with social stratification and power dynamics in Europe in general.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Philippe posted:

Booo.

I boo that.

To be fair,

I'm not funny.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I present as evidence exibit #1: my entire posting history.

The defence rests.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Mojahedin-e-Khalq attended a conference in the Danish parliament. This is Politiken's characterization of the CIA proxy terrorist cult. I feel like there's some information missing here.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 19, 2023

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Nice piece of fish posted:

"#fedidwgugl"-rear end post.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

Mojahedin-e-Khalq attended a conference in the Danish parliament. This is Politiken's characterization of the CIA proxy terrorist cult. I feel like there's some information missing here.

Being a politician has to be one of the easiest job in the world.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Being a politician has to be one of the easiest job in the world.

Yeah but you aren't considering the fact that there's a requirement for being a sociopath and having no spine.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

BonHair posted:

The Norse conquests of Normandy and England definitely count as early colonialism, but yeah, a lot more Roman style divide and conquer, but with pretty lax connection to the homeland.
But the actual point I wanted to bring up is the theory that the Norse Greenland colony might actually have just assimilated into the native Greenlandic population because the whole agriculture and trade style of life didn't work out.

Norse conquests are more aligned with the german Volkerwanderung migration wars of the late western roman era. With the possible exception of king Canute, the norse conquered to settle and separate from their homeland on a far more permanent basis than would be the case in colonialism, which is about supplying the homeland with wealth. Colonialism also required more sophisticated means of communication and travel than were avalible at the time.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Mette Frederiksen is likely the worst PM in this country's history. Hide your daughters.

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/politik/amerikanske-soldater-skal-retsforfoelges-i-usa-selvom-de-begaar-kriminalitet-i

quote:

Hvis en amerikansk soldat begår kriminalitet i Danmark, bliver det amerikanske myndigheder, der skal retsforfølge vedkommende - ikke de danske.

Det fortæller statsminister Mette Frederiksen (S) i forbindelse med en ny forsvarsaftale med USA.

Aftalen betyder, at der fremover kan udstationeres amerikanske soldater på tre flyvestationer i Danmark. Nemlig Karup, Skrydstrup og Aalborg. Og soldaterne vil blive "synlige" i gadebilledet og blive set "i Brugsen", lyder det fra Mette Frederiksen.

Skulle soldaterne begå noget kriminelt i Danmark, så vil de dog som udgangspunkt ikke blive retsforfulgt i Danmark, siger Mette Frederiksen.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This is specious reasoning. Just because a state is given a name does not mean the name is representative of the state. You could just as well argue that it is evidence that Norway was at least understood as a thing worthy of seeing as a separate thing, while most of Denmark was just lumped under the hegemony of Copenhagen and ignored.

yes, that is part of my argument

norway was a recognised national polity through the period of danish rule. denmark, likewise, was a recognised national polity through the period of danish rule. the capitol of denmark was copenhagen, which was also the capitol of norway and the seat of power of norwegian administration following the imposition by the king of the reformation in norway. that meant that the king of denmark, seated in the royal power of the kingdom of denmark, was also the king of the secondary realm of norway, meaning that the kingdom of norway was a subordinate kingdom to the kingdom in denmark. this is borne out by most national institutions of the monarchy being localised in the kingdom of denmark.

this is only possible to argue against if you argue that copenhagen was a separate polity entirely from the remainder of denmark. i do not think that you have developed that case sufficiently beyond assertions about the courtly language and the national-romantic period of danish monarchism conveninently post-dating 1814.

V. Illych L. fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 19, 2023

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I'm sure Gaden will be very accommodating for our new overlords.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

norwegian autonomy was also abolished before the introduction of absolutism (up here the general accounting is that it happened sometime in the early 1500s), during which time the crown relied mainly on danish aristocrats for military clout

of course, if one adheres strictly to the idea of the nation as dependent on the modern national states that emerged during the 19th century, then this is not relevant, but then neither norway nor denmark as modern countries bear any culpability in a trade which preceded them

e:https://www.norgeshistorie.no/kirkestat/1108-selvstendighetstap-og-foreningstid.html:

quote:

(...)at Norge «heretter [skal] være og forbli under Danmarks krone, liksom en av de andre lands­del­ene, Jylland, Fyn, Sjælland eller Skåne er, og heretter ikke være eller kalles et eget kongerike, men en del av Danmarks rike og under Danmarks krone til evig tid».

of course, in practice never became as integrated a part of denmark as those other provinces (except for skåne which was lost in the many drubbings imposed upon the kingdom by the swedes), but the idea that denmark and norway were equal components of denmark-norway is quite ahistorical

V. Illych L. fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 20, 2023

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
tbh unify all scandinavian countries under one single banner and let Førde be the capital

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Stalins Moustache posted:

tbh unify all scandinavian countries under one single banner and let Førde be the capital

i would not be opposed to this arrangement

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Stalins Moustache posted:

Førde Union

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

eit folk, eit rik', eit førde

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

SplitSoul posted:

Mette Frederiksen is likely the worst PM in this country's history. Hide your daughters.

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/politik/amerikanske-soldater-skal-retsforfoelges-i-usa-selvom-de-begaar-kriminalitet-i

The prime minister demonstrating her comprehensive knowledge of history:

Mette Frederiksen posted:

Nu har vi ingen forventning om, at der kommer til at ske uhyrlige forbrydelser, det er amerikanske soldater, vi taler om.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

https://www.ft.dk/samling/20231/afstemning/193.htm

quote:

Resumé:

Folketinget pålægger regeringen at arbejde for øjeblikkelig våbenhvile og åbning af humanitære korridorer for at sikre, at civile i Gaza får humanitær støtte og mulighed for at vende hjem, når det er sikkert. Regeringen skal fordømme Israels brud på folkeretten samt øge danske humanitære bidrag til Gaza. Endelig skal regeringen genetablere en politisk horisont med politiske forhandlinger mellem parterne, afvikling af den israelske besættelse, fjernelse af folkeretsstridige bosættelser samt afholdelse af palæstinensiske valg.

Afstemning:

Forslaget blev forkastet. For stemte 8 (EL og ALT), imod stemte 89 (S, V, M, DD, LA, KF, DF og NB), hverken for eller imod stemte 14 (SF, RV, UFG).

Inferior Third Season posted:

The prime minister demonstrating her comprehensive knowledge of history:

How did I miss that? :rubby:

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 20, 2023

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

norwegian autonomy was also abolished before the introduction of absolutism (up here the general accounting is that it happened sometime in the early 1500s), during which time the crown relied mainly on danish aristocrats for military clout

of course, if one adheres strictly to the idea of the nation as dependent on the modern national states that emerged during the 19th century, then this is not relevant, but then neither norway nor denmark as modern countries bear any culpability in a trade which preceded them
Are you saying we should just tell Ghana to take a hike because that was old Denmark, and new Denmark didn't kidnap their people to work in plantations in the New World?

V. Illych L. posted:

e:https://www.norgeshistorie.no/kirkestat/1108-selvstendighetstap-og-foreningstid.html:

of course, in practice never became as integrated a part of denmark as those other provinces (except for skåne which was lost in the many drubbings imposed upon the kingdom by the swedes), but the idea that denmark and norway were equal components of denmark-norway is quite ahistorical
You're arguing my case here. Norway having some degree of autonomy puts it ahead of Denmark outside Copenhagen, when talking about an entirely non-democratic system. Obviously the Danish state was on top in the arrangement, but that the state was on top does not mean its constituent territories had any more pull than their Norwegian counterparts.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

A Buttery Pastry posted:

does not mean its constituent territories had any more pull than their Norwegian counterparts.

You're reaching so far, unwittingly demonstrating how distance alone makes your argument daft

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Are you saying we should just tell Ghana to take a hike because that was old Denmark, and new Denmark didn't kidnap their people to work in plantations in the New World?

I'm saying that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

A Buttery Pastry posted:

no, i'm saying that if one takes your argument that "denmark" only came into being in the 19th century it necessarily implies that. my argument is that there have been more-or-less recognisable national polities called "norway" and "denmark" and that these were in a union ruled from denmark for several hundred years, meaning that the polity "denmark" bears more responsibility for the actions of the actions of the union

quote:

You're arguing my case here. Norway having some degree of autonomy puts it ahead of Denmark outside Copenhagen, when talking about an entirely non-democratic system. Obviously the Danish state was on top in the arrangement, but that the state was on top does not mean its constituent territories had any more pull than their Norwegian counterparts.

this is not your case, or at least it wasn't when we started arguing about this. your case then was:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Do you think the average Dane was involved? Norway was just as complicit as Denmark in our colonialism and slavery. Hell, "Danish" slavery in the Caribbean was started by a Norwegian merchant from Bergen, even if it was obviously at the behest of the Danish king. The Kingdom of Denmark-Norway was a partnership between (upper-class) equals, which explains why the Norwegian upper class immediately attempted to rejoin Denmark at the end of the Napoleonic wars.

(emphases mine)

to which i responded with a quip about the copenhagen monarchy having some substantive connection to the danish nation. you have tried various strategies to counter this, including the above mentioned assertion that

quote:

The Danish nation was hammered into being in the 19th century, following the Struensee debacle and the loss of Norway and Slesvig-Holstein. Before that point, the Danish identity, such as it was, referred to the larger imperial identity that encompassed all the peoples of the realm.

and an argument that copenhagen was strictly separate from any danish national polity that may have existed because of the language spoken in its institutions and germanophilia of much of its elite. the latter case is imo the most interesting here, but it needs a lot of work before it can do what you want it to do.

my position is that while denmark-norway started out as a coalition between danish and norwegian nobility, the danes got the upper hand fairly quickly, to the point of abolishing or subjugating norwegian-leaning institutions such as the catholic church and placing danish nobles in charge of major norwegian governmental positions (båhus, akershus and bergenhus in particular). this culminated in a situation where norway was officially a province "like any other" under the danish crown. while this integration never fully worked out for various reasons and the norwegian territories in practice had greater autonomy than e.g. fyn, it in my view is quite incompatible with denmark-norway being constitutionally a partnership between equals and therefore means that historical culpability for danish-norwegian policies rest to a greater degree in copenhagen than in e.g. bergen or christiania, and thus to a greater degree in denmark than in norway.

none of this is to say that norway is entirely blameless in these affairs, of course.