Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
When looking for tips on how to handle Inner Genchiro I found a video of someone absolutely wrecking him in under 1:30 with a prosthetic I've never touched, the money throw, so I know there's a lot more ways to play this I haven't tried or thought of

text editor fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Wamsutta posted:

I don't have any spirit emblems at all, lol, and it's all I can do to keep trying the boss, I absolutely will not farm. If I manage to win it's going to be without emblems

Mortal draw still works without emblems and the ichimonji is free.

If you can't handle this diminished old man can you imagine having to fight him in his prime?

I bet you wish you would have just betrayed kuro. No way that would have had a different and worse outcome.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

i loving did it

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

the real sekiro starts here......

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
The devs are acutely aware of what they just put you through so the next two bosses are much easier (second is mostly a gimmick/freebie, like the monkeys)

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Enjoy the most beautiful and also easiest fight! It was worth it

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Enjoy the most beautiful and also easiest fight! It was worth it

This isn’t making me feel very good right now lmao. poo poo is this really supposed to be easy?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

This isn’t making me feel very good right now lmao. poo poo is this really supposed to be easy?

i've cleared all the game's challenges including the mega go-gently caress-yourself boss rush versions and i always found great shinobi owl uniquely annoying. the way he fights makes it very difficult to keep pressure on him as opposed to using hit-and-run tactics, so it's easier to make a mistake and get blown up

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

No I mean corrupted monk who is now beating the poo poo out of me

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

oh. best advice i have for her is not to stay right up in her face, because one of her attacks (the ground-to-air upward cut) is made to punish wolf at point-blank range - she insta-breaks your guard with the pommel of her spear so that you eat poo poo on the actual cut. if you stay two or three steps away from her instead then you only have the slash to deal with

also you can instantly end her second phase with a well-timed jump stealth attack from the upper branches, and when she does her spinning multi-hit cut you're best off just running away and slicing her up when she gets winded

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Wamsutta posted:

Wamsutta posted:

It's still a little ways away, you'll know it when you get there.

Corrupted Monk is not easy!

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I kinda can’t believe that after two days of Owl I’m immediately shoved into another boss fight, I don’t get to explore a new area or anything? Right back into slamming my head against the wall? gently caress

Edit: thank gently caress, I beat her. About a dozen tries

Wamsutta fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 18, 2023

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Congrats! For Owl, what was the thing that pushed you over into victory? What did you do differently?

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
wow corrupted monk took me way more than a dozen tries my first kill

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Oscar Wild posted:

Congrats! For Owl, what was the thing that pushed you over into victory? What did you do differently?

Mainly just really locking in on what I could and couldn’t deflect, getting used to sidestepping and Ichimonji’ing him after the overhead spin slash, and a few timely uses of ravens mist (I gave in and farmed a little) plus tying all of that together in a run where I made basically zero mistakes.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Zwingley posted:

I think it took a dozen tries for me, but that’s only because I got loving pissed off at the game introducing a new boss after two health bars combined with phase 2 not being especially difficult but time consuming with the shadow clone jutsu and just pocket sand/shinobi fireworksed my way throug phase 3. OP definitely deserves props even if he has the memory boost from Owl.

Also, really wish I could use Ichimonji, but there’s no way afaik to make it a dedicated button press and I usually do the button combo without meaning to on an attack after deflecting (not great) or deflecting after attacking (gently caress gently caress fuuuuck).

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I just beat owl first try on this run. The minibosses at the serpent shrine and the dojo both killed me like twice each.

You get used to bosses in this game while I never engage the purple guys unless I have to.

I'm excited to go back to hirata

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Chakan posted:

Yeah, I still just never think to use prosthetics or combat arts lol. I love seeing your mist raven stylings though.

50 is impressive, and if you get to his second phase you're probably 85% of the way to having the fight down enough to win. When I started I thought I would never be able to beat the Shinobi Hunter, then Genichiro, then the Ape, then Corrupted Monk, then Owl, then then then. Eventually I did. It will come.

I re-uploaded the video because I realized I had the render settings wrong so it wasn't very crisp initially. Because I'm playing so much, I've been thinking about putting together some contests for people to do challenge runs and boss fights. If there's interest, I'll try and have it up after the new year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_IWQdr6N9Y

Absolutely. I'm up for it.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Zwingley posted:

the tip about hitting a death blow from the tree for the 2nd lifebar was really useful for me, and you probably didn't have that info

i liked the corrupted monk fight, once i got used to her moves it was fun to deflect/mikiri/stomp her, and i figured out that her terror spit was an easy chance to get a couple punish slashes in

owl, though, was like someone combined my bloodborne experiences of father gascoigne, martyr logarius (he's easy for me now but walled me insanely hard the first playthrough), and orphan of kos (i have one dub over orphan and am scared to fight him again lol). the idea of a second owl fight is yikes but i'll deal with it when i get there

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

headless fights are the least pleasant part of any from game I’ve ever played. I legit hate these loving things.

Edit: four headless dead, and both shichimen warriors. get bent you undead idiots :)

Wamsutta fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 18, 2023

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The underwater Headless fights are kinda funny imo. They're not particularly fun, but they're funny.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Angry Diplomat posted:

The underwater Headless fights are kinda funny imo. They're not particularly fun, but they're funny.

Yeah that one was easy after the first attempt where I was just like “wait, what?”

I picked up a gourd seed for killing ghostly raging bull but Emma’s dialogue doesn’t give me the option to give it to her so I’m hoping that’s just temporary until I move the story on somehow.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

headless fights are the least pleasant part of any from game I’ve ever played. I legit hate these loving things.

Edit: four headless dead, and both shichimen warriors. get bent you undead idiots :)

There are more than two schichimen
edit: 3 exactly - after double ape fight, fountainhead palace abandoned prison

text editor fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 19, 2023

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

, though, was like someone combined my bloodborne experiences of father gascoigne, martyr logarius (he's easy for me now but walled me insanely hard the first playthrough), and orphan of kos (i have one dub over orphan and am scared to fight him again lol). the idea of a second owl fight is yikes but i'll deal with it when i get there

I'd look up how to get to second owl fight, it's possible to miss the events that trigger it easily. at the very least I don't think you can kill the dragon before doing a few steps

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

text editor posted:

I'd look up how to get to second owl fight, it's possible to miss the events that trigger it easily. at the very least I don't think you can kill the dragon before doing a few steps

Oh, yeah reading up on it now. I haven’t done any of that stuff really. I’m almost certain I can’t get that whole segment of game because I didn’t take some absurdly random unknowable action at the right time. That’s fun.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
It's inscrutable for sure. I don't think you're locked out of it though, just have some tedious back and forth to trigger dialogues.

NG+ is very quick since you'll have just about all the prayer necklaces and gourds so it turns into a boss rush.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Nah I think I’m hosed

Emma is at the top of the stairs at the tower lookout and won’t do anything except ask me to consider saving Kuro
Kuro talking about divine dragon
Used up eavesdrop option on Kuro at this spot
Eavesdropped on Isshin and spoke to him
Nothing happening at the dilapidated temple

Looks like I didn’t guess Miyazaki’s magic words

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i'm pretty sure there are only two points of no return in the game: one for the bad ending (incredibly obvious dialogue choice, you either side with Kuro and get one of the three good endings or side with Owl and get the bad one) and one for locking in which of the good endings will be available (killing the divine dragon)

if you're not able to do the kuro and emma eavesdrops it's more likely that you haven't progressed the game enough than that you've progressed it too much and missed them

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 19, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh my god, really? Like all these poo poo I did with the serpents was for no loving reason, since I missed an eavesdrop conversation earlier? ffs.

Do I at least keep most of the items in NG+? I'm sure I'm gonna run through the game again, maybe just once though. Also apparently that early game vendor I accidentally killed is still blocking off a ton of my upgrades, 20 hours later. Sigh.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'm pretty sure there are only two points of no return in the game: one for the bad ending (incredibly obvious dialogue choice, you either side with Kuro and get one of the three good endings or side with Owl and get the bad one) and one for locking in which of the good endings will be available (killing the divine dragon)

if you're not able to do the kuro and emma eavesdrops it's more likely that you haven't progressed the game enough than that you've progressed it too much and missed them

this is correct, the lockout is killing Divine Dragon, if you haven't done that all non-bad endings are still available

Serephina posted:

Oh my god, really? Like all these poo poo I did with the serpents was for no loving reason, since I missed an eavesdrop conversation earlier? ffs.

Do I at least keep most of the items in NG+? I'm sure I'm gonna run through the game again, maybe just once though. Also apparently that early game vendor I accidentally killed is still blocking off a ton of my upgrades, 20 hours later. Sigh.

you keep everything except plot-related key items. that includes prosthetics and their upgrades, gourd charges, attack and vitality upgrades, skills, etc. so far as I know the only things you lose that might matter are the mortal blade and associated skills (but those come back when you get the mortal blade again) and the ability to dive

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
NG+ is the real Sekiro. The game doesn’t stop being hard exactly but your money/item worries will vanish. Your health will probably max out if you didn’t do that in NG, but your attack power just keeps increasing for a while.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

Nah I think I’m hosed

Emma is at the top of the stairs at the tower lookout and won’t do anything except ask me to consider saving Kuro
Kuro talking about divine dragon
Used up eavesdrop option on Kuro at this spot
Eavesdropped on Isshin and spoke to him
Nothing happening at the dilapidated temple

Looks like I didn’t guess Miyazaki’s magic words

Rest a few times in kuros room, watch and see characters will move around. You want the one with Emma and Into both standing in the main room

Edit: you don't need to stand up between rests, just rotate the camera and keep cycling it.

If that doesn't work then I think the very first trigger was missed before you collected both the guardian ape or ghost monk items, either one

text editor fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 19, 2023

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

text editor posted:

Rest a few times in kuros room, watch and see characters will move around. You want the one with Emma and Into both standing in the main room

Edit: you don't need to stand up between rests, just rotate the camera and keep cycling it.

If that doesn't work then I think the very first trigger was missed before you collected both the guardian ape or ghost monk items, either one

So it wasn’t exactly this sequence but I was able to get the bell charm :) I’m going to wish I hadn’t I bet lmao

Just smashed on lone shadow and his dogs first try so that felt good!

Wamsutta fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 19, 2023

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
It's such a high intensity fight, I loved it. Playing Lady Butterfly in that arena for the Boss challenge feels like everything is in slow motion comparatively

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

that fight's even more fun when you try to stop him from summoning wolves at all imo. You've gotta keep the pressure on constantly and it feels exhilerating to pull it off

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

U-DO Burger posted:

that fight's even more fun when you try to stop him from summoning wolves at all imo. You've gotta keep the pressure on constantly and it feels exhilerating to pull it off

He only got to summon twice before I rushed him down and didn’t let up and killed him

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

text editor posted:

It's such a high intensity fight, I loved it. Playing Lady Butterfly in that arena for the Boss challenge feels like everything is in slow motion comparatively

I took one run at him before dinner and it seemed awesome, I got bodied but not as quickly as I would have expected to and I got some shots in

Edit: alright, it’s looking like that’s probably gonna be my best attempt today. I’ve had deaths against him where I don’t even damage him lol.

Can’t at all figure out how to avoid being firecrackered at the end of his five hit hipcheck combo, and 90% of the time this combo ends in up against the wall of the arena anyway

Wamsutta fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 20, 2023

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

U-DO Burger posted:

This is why Shuriken is the best prosthetic. It's an interrupt, a gap closer, and it's not a crutch unlike firecrackers.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Attempt 19: got a deathblow
Attempt 25: haven’t gotten more than 10% off his health since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Just dodge directly at him and very slightly to the side when he throws the firecrackers out and you'll wind up safe