Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah hard doubts on anyone actually good for Palestinians to get in after Netanyahu.

The fruit of decades of fascism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

National Parks
Apr 6, 2016

Looking forward to explaining to customers over the next 3 years how everything is expensive again because Israel wants to continue its genocide of the Palestinian people

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Houthis are only targeting Israeli-connected ships, right? So obviously the solution is stop loving dealing with Israel, a thing which you should already be doing because they're poo poo.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

PT6A posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Houthis are only targeting Israeli-connected ships, right? So obviously the solution is stop loving dealing with Israel, a thing which you should already be doing because they're poo poo.

Try telling that to your shipping insurance.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

PT6A posted:

The Houthis appear to be targeting ships and then sometimes issuing statements claiming the ships are connected to Israel. It's a pretext.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Discendo Vox posted:

The Houthis appear to be targeting ships and then sometimes issuing statements claiming the ships are connected to Israel. It's a pretext.

Kindof hard to see what else they stand to gain.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Starting to think these antisemitic terror orgs are pretty indiscriminate when it comes to attacks

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 19, 2023

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Considering all the western nations are in the tank for Israel and covering for the genocide they aren’t wrong. Western nations only care about money and they are getting hit in the pocketbook, the only thing that affects them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

PT6A posted:

They don't have an easy way to verify this, and more indiscriminate economic chaos and disruption only helps their cause of putting pressure on the international community to stop the genocide in Gaza. It's very probably why we've heard more and more politicians talking about the importance of 'moving towards a sustainable ceasefire'. That's so far been empty waffle, but also empty waffle that they weren't bothering with previously.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I can't believe they're just attacking civilians and then claiming after the fact that their victims were combatants.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

National Parks posted:

Looking forward to explaining to customers over the next 3 years how everything is expensive again because Israel wants to continue its genocide of the Palestinian people

I was at my dealership waiting for them to finish work on my car earlier last year while the salesmen were having their staff meeting. The manager was telling the associates that when people are haggling, you gotta "hit em with Covid, hit em with the supply chain issues, hit em with the war in Ukraine," and I assume they have added the war in Palestine to the list

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Halloween Jack posted:

I can't believe they're just attacking civilians and then claiming after the fact that their victims were combatants.
It boggles the mind. Who would do such a thing!?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Starting to think these antisemitic terror orgs are pretty indiscriminate when it comes to attacks
:ironicat:

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 19, 2023

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Who are we supposed to be owning here with this? I don't think anyone has said in any way that Israel is cool when they do that.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Private Speech posted:

Egypt is getting deprived of a huge source of revenue from the fee to use the suez. These actions place immense pressure on Egypt to make meaningful efforts to stop the Palestinian genocide

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I think it puts more pressure on Western countries to send some battleships to Yemen's coast. Which they seem to have agreed to do now. We'll see how that pans out.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

A big flaming stink posted:

Egypt is getting deprived of a huge source of revenue from the fee to use the suez. These actions place immense pressure on Egypt to make meaningful efforts to stop the Palestinian genocide

It's much more likely that they will make meaningful effort to stop the Houthis from shooting at ships. It's something they have much more ability to do.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Paladinus posted:

I think it puts more pressure on Western countries to send some battleships to Yemen's coast. Which they seem to have agreed to do now. We'll see how that pans out.

Tuna-Fish posted:

It's much more likely that they will make meaningful effort to stop the Houthis from shooting at ships. It's something they have much more ability to do.

Well, hopefully, it'll get deescalated before then. Otherwise we'll get to see what happens when the rubber hits the road.

And to answer your question Kchama it is in response to people saying "they are only targeting civilian shipping" as a pretext when it seems as if the Houthis are doing less wanton damage and care than the IDF.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Bout to see the US military, which was chill as gently caress about ongoing genocide and torture of millions, get into some REAL poo poo motion about :10bux:

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

Well, hopefully, it'll get deescalated before then. Otherwise we'll get to see what happens when the rubber hits the road.

And to answer your question Kchama it is in response to people saying "they are only targeting civilian shipping" as a pretext when it seems as if the Houthis are doing less wanton damage and care than the IDF.

There is no way you got that from that post. You must have some amazing glasses on, to read so deeply between the lines.

Jaxyon posted:

Bout to see the US military, which was chill as gently caress about ongoing genocide and torture of millions, get into some REAL poo poo motion about :10bux:

It's always about money.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Kchama posted:

There is no way you got that from that post. You must have some amazing glasses on, to read so deeply between the lines.

It's always about money.

I mean, I think that was what was being said? The juxtaposition of "this is what they claim to be doing" vs "what is being done". How would you read it, if I can ask?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

I mean, I think that was what was being said? The juxtaposition of "this is what they claim to be doing" vs "what is being done". How would you read it, if I can ask?

Pretty blatantly trying to call people out for hypocrisy how Israel also uses said pretext to attack civilians (and kill) when they blatantly know it isn't true. Which is why I was asking "So who are we owning?" since I haven't seen anyone think it is a good thing, even the vaguely more pro-Israel people.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

The Houthis seem to be taking effective action against an ongoing genocide, something the rest of the world is currently incapable of.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Mia Wasikowska posted:

The Houthis seem to be taking effective action against an ongoing genocide, something the rest of the world is currently incapable of.
You are ignoring the vastly greater crime of making number sad.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Mia Wasikowska posted:

Every western government and media outlet will be saying it’s because of Iran instead of support for Gaza. And they will continue to bleed credibility.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

They don't have an easy way to verify this, and more indiscriminate economic chaos and disruption only helps their cause of putting pressure on the international community to stop the genocide in Gaza. It's very probably why we've heard more and more politicians talking about the importance of 'moving towards a sustainable ceasefire'. That's so far been empty waffle, but also empty waffle that they weren't bothering with previously.
If you read the what the advocates are saying about it you'll see that their point is that a "sustainable ceasefire" can only be achieved if Hamas is destroyed. It's a messaging shift rather than an actual policy change.
https://www.gov.uk/government/speec...oreign-minister

quote:

We must also think carefully about the nature of any longer-term peace deal. Even before October 7, it was hard to imagine Hamas as a real partner for peace. After October 7, we can have no illusions. Leaving Hamas in power in Gaza would be a permanent roadblock on the path to a two-state solution.
[...]
First, like any other country in the world, Israel has the right to defend itself but, in doing so, it must abide by international humanitarian law. Israel will not win this war if its operations destroy the prospect of peaceful coexistence with Palestinians. They have a right to eliminate the threat posed by Hamas.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

If you read the what the advocates are saying about it you'll see that their point is that a "sustainable ceasefire" can only be achieved if Hamas is destroyed. It's a messaging shift rather than an actual policy change.
https://www.gov.uk/government/speec...oreign-minister

That was what I was alluding to by 'empty waffle', yes.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Mia Wasikowska posted:

How is it effective action? If

Paladinus posted:

is true, then it sounds like an ineffective escalation. Unless you think the Houthis can effectively defend against said battleships. Which, assuming said countries are serious about their battleships, they can’t.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Kalit posted:

is true, then it sounds like an ineffective escalation. Unless you think the Houthis can effectively defend against said battleships. Which, assuming said countries are serious about their battleships, they can’t.

Yeah, why would anyone believe that the Houthis could effectively hold out against the US and its proxies?

National Parks
Apr 6, 2016

Kalit posted:

I'm going to guess destroying random civilian instructure in Yemen with boats is going to go about as well as the Israelis bombing refugee camps in Gaza in terms of disrupting hamas's or the houthi's military capacity.

The Biden administration fighting a direct war with Yemen in an election year isn't going to go over well.

National Parks fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 20, 2023

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
There would be no risk of a regional war or these sorts of disruptions if the global north stopped supporting Israeli genocide. They're just not very clever.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

National Parks posted:

I'm going to guess destroying random civilian instructure in Yemen with boats is going to go about as well as the Israelis bombing refugee camps in Gaza in terms of disrupting hamas's military capacity.

The Biden administration fighting a direct war with Yemen in an election year isn't going to go over well.

Huh? If the US/other Western nations got mad at the Houthis for attacking civilian ships and/or blocking a canal, they’d simply destroy the ships doing said things. I’m unsure why you think anyone would start bombing civilian infrastructure when the objective would be to get rid of the ships who are doing said things…

Kalit fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 20, 2023

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Kalit posted:

Huh? If the US/other Western nations got mad at the Houthis for blocking a canal, they’d simply destroy the ships blocking the canal. I’m unsure why you think anyone would start bombing civilian infrastructure when the objective is to clear the canal…

The problem isn't ships in the canal, the problem is that drones launched from Yemen are being used to attack ships. They've been able to intercept some with military vessels, but having to continuously do that is not cost effective and it may not even fix the underlying problem of ships getting attacked in the shipping lane. The solution is to either negotiate an end to it or do something about the people launching the drones, playing prevent defense is not an actual answer

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

BougieBitch posted:

The problem isn't ships in the canal, the problem is that drones launched from Yemen are being used to attack ships. They've been able to intercept some with military vessels, but having to continuously do that is not cost effective and it may not even fix the underlying problem of ships getting attacked in the shipping lane. The solution is to either negotiate an end to it or do something about the people launching the drones, playing prevent defense is not an actual answer

Ahhh, I hadn’t heard the latest news about drones, I only heard about the initial attacks from other ships. That clears things up a bit, thanks for the explanation.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
The US would rather fight a new war than stop a genocide.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

hadji murad posted:

The US would rather fight a new war than stop a genocide.

We could probably use fewer incendiary / smug one-liners hereabouts, especially in an environment where there's legit a good bit to discuss about piracy, shipping lanes, historical respones, and so on. What is your statement actually adding to the discussion? An implication that the US will start a new war, that you do not elaborate upon, and an expression of irritation/anger? In a thread where the rules broadly discourage low-effort rageposting, because we're extremely aware that this topic can easily degenerate into endless angry screaming? Maybe let's not do this thing.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Kalit posted:

Ahhh, I hadn’t heard the latest news about drones, I only heard about the initial attacks from other ships. That clears things up a bit, thanks for the explanation.

The drones could also reach some important oil rigs and refineries, which is another reason the USA hasn't done anything about this yet. Also another reason why Saudi Arabia wouldn't join the coalition to stop them.

Right now all the USA is doing is using interceptors that cost close to a million dollars on drones that cost more than a hundred times less. The question is if the Houthi will run out of lawnmower powered drones before the USA runs out of million dollar interceptors.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Private Speech posted:

Ordinary piracy and ransom is most likely. They have also been doing speedboat-full-of-guys boarding attempts. One hijacking was successful and the ship taken to Yemen. The others have been fought off. The missile & drone attacks have mostly been preceded by "Reroute to Hodeida or we will shoot you" threats.

Most of the ships have little to no connection with Israel. Not going to/from there, no flagged there, ship not owned by Israelis, ship not operated by Israelis. A couple have had tenuous links like "A rich Israeli guy is a part owner in the company that chartered the ship".

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Foxfire_ posted:

Most of the ships have little to no connection with Israel. Not going to/from there, no flagged there, ship not owned by Israelis, ship not operated by Israelis. A couple have had tenuous links like "A rich Israeli guy is a part owner in the company that chartered the ship".

It seems more as if the attacks are targeting all civilian shipping in an effort to force people to a negotiating table. However even with the capture there have been few, if any, deaths from what I can see. Whilst still this could be argued to be bad I think that this could also be considered a good thing? It seems to be more like direct attacks on trade as a method of disruption far more than terror attacks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

It seems more as if the attacks are targeting all civilian shipping in an effort to force people to a negotiating table. However even with the capture there have been few, if any, deaths from what I can see. Whilst still this could be argued to be bad I think that this could also be considered a good thing? It seems to be more like direct attacks on trade as a method of disruption far more than terror attacks?

Their just trying to justify their piracy. They don't give a poo poo about Gazans.