Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/FoulTerritoryTV/status/1737204758681657564

Ole glass arm Tommy Shelby has thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
he must be really stoked that he's on a superteam and he can live at his parents house, wow, quite the off-season

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

maffew buildings posted:

he must be really stoked that he's on a superteam and he can live at his parents house, wow, quite the off-season

If he lives there for a couple of years, he should be able to save up enough to buy an apartment in LA.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

bawfuls posted:

He was a piece of the Mookie Betts trade yes

So the Red Sox got nothing for Mookie Betts? It's even worse than thought at the time?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

tadashi posted:

So the Red Sox got nothing for Mookie Betts? It's even worse than thought at the time?

LA got:
Betts: self-explanatory
Price: Dodgers moved him to the pen after a while where he was actually pretty okay.

Red Sox got:
Verdugo: Averaged as a ~2ish WAR guy for four years with the Red Sox, not amazing but also not a guy you'd complain too much about having around. Recently dumped to the Yankees.
Downs: Had a miserable cup of coffee with the Red Sox before getting dumped to the Nats.
Wong: Finally got an extended MLB look this year and put up some miserable batted ball numbers alongside decent defensive metrics.

So the Red Sox got four years of an okay-but-not-great OF regular, a failed former top prospect, and a backup catcher for Betts and dumping Price's salary.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Even if Verdugo had lived up to the loftiest projections of his potential at the time of the trade, the Red Sox still lose that trade

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

And he's an INF, so "just past a diving Jeter" will grace the airwaves yet again

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
If the Yankees were really serious about Jeters they would acquire the pitcher in the Mariners system named (Derek) Jeter (Pedro) Martinez.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FlamingLiberal posted:

Even if Verdugo had lived up to the loftiest projections of his potential at the time of the trade, the Red Sox still lose that trade

I mean, what was the last trade where a superstar player was moved and the consensus after the fact is that it is the team that moved the superstar for prospects ended up "winning" the trade? Arenado, Goldschmidt, Betts, Diaz, etc etc it's the team that gets the known really good player that always comes out looking better. Even something like the Chapman trade where the Cubs massively overpaid can still be looked at as "yeah Gleyber turned out to be a nice piece but the Cubs got a loving ring out of the deal." Maybe you could make the argument for Soto since SD ended up squandering and then flipping him to somebody else? Generally speaking though no matter how highly they're touted prospects aren't actually worth guys who've established themselves as superstars.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The team getting prospects basically never wins. The most they can hope for is it being an even trade but even that is pretty rare.

Even the Soto trade is probably at best an even deal.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/BobKlap/status/1737221542524690887

He's not going to the Yankees.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lol MLB free agency is excruciating.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Yankees are about to trade for Mookie, clearly.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

They better have a backup plan in place to get a pitcher because they aren't getting Yamamoto.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The day Yamamoto signs will be Christmas for Blake Snell's agent

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The team getting prospects basically never wins. The most they can hope for is it being an even trade but even that is pretty rare.

Even the Soto trade is probably at best an even deal.
how soon we forget Tatis for James Shields

but yeah for players of Betts caliber it's essentially impossible to get back sufficient prospect value

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Enjoyed seeing Shields on the hall of fame ballot this year.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Sydin posted:

I mean, what was the last trade where a superstar player was moved and the consensus after the fact is that it is the team that moved the superstar for prospects ended up "winning" the trade? Arenado, Goldschmidt, Betts, Diaz, etc etc it's the team that gets the known really good player that always comes out looking better. Even something like the Chapman trade where the Cubs massively overpaid can still be looked at as "yeah Gleyber turned out to be a nice piece but the Cubs got a loving ring out of the deal." Maybe you could make the argument for Soto since SD ended up squandering and then flipping him to somebody else? Generally speaking though no matter how highly they're touted prospects aren't actually worth guys who've established themselves as superstars.

Trading Mark Teixeira got the Rangers two WS appearances.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I remember listening to a Sox game where their radio announcers went through the full five stages of grief in one inning of Shields giving up a load of dingers. Like a 20 minute speedrun from "Nah Shields is a good pitcher and this bad stretch is a blip, he'll right the ship" to "honestly at this point just leave him out there, why not? Game's lost anyway maybe they can figure out something worth fixing while he's getting annihilated."

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bawfuls posted:

how soon we forget Tatis for James Shields

but yeah for players of Betts caliber it's essentially impossible to get back sufficient prospect value

I'm talking stars. Cause there's lots of prospect for nice players where the team getting prospects wins.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Trading Mark Teixeira got the Rangers two WS appearances.

Trading Greinke got the Royals two WS appearances and a win.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

live with fruit posted:

Trading Greinke got the Royals two WS appearances and a win.

the braves don't win in 2021 if they dont trade Pablo Sandoval

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Sydin posted:

LA got:
Price: Dodgers moved him to the pen after a while where he was actually pretty okay.

Red Sox got:
Verdugo: Averaged as a ~2ish WAR guy for four years with the Red Sox, not amazing but also not a guy you'd complain too much about having around. Recently dumped to the Yankees.
Downs: Had a miserable cup of coffee with the Red Sox before getting dumped to the Nats.
Wong: Finally got an extended MLB look this year and put up some miserable batted ball numbers alongside decent defensive metrics.

So the Red Sox got four years of an okay-but-not-great OF regular, a failed former top prospect, and a backup catcher for Betts and dumping Price's salary.

Don't forget the Sox decided they didn't want Graterol so he went to the Dodgers instead

Sydin posted:

Does Carlos Gomez count as a superstar? :v:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Intruder posted:

Does Carlos Gomez count as a superstar? :v:

Only if you ignore his stats.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I guess it depends on your definition of "winning" a trade. Like Sabathia was never going to reup with Cleveland so getting Brantley for him is a win, but if you compare their two careers post-trade it's more of a push

Same thing with Randy Johnson. Yes Randy was much better than Garcia and Guillen but he was gone anyway

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Sydin posted:

depending on how you define "superstar" mccutchen for kyle crick and bryan reynolds back in 2018, or maybe bartolo colon for brandon phillips, grady sizemore, cliff lee and lee stevens in 02

but the fact that I'm having to go back 20 years for a maybe is probably proof of your argument lol

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Andrew McCutchen is going back to Pittsburgh for another year

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

FlamingLiberal posted:

Andrew McCutchen is going back to Pittsburgh for another year

I suppose it's the least either side could do considering his foot exploded last year.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

This is James "Innings Eater" Shields erasure.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i am sorry to my white sox comrades, but the sox trading for shields and then him having just unleash an unholy run on some of the most dogshit pitching performances ever witnessed was so loving funny.

e: first month on the south side

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 20, 2023

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Big Game James!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Because I am married to a weeb, we watch Japanese train tourism videos. I say this because it is background for the fact it have observed, in a video shot in Japan, a sign of Shohei Ohtani endorsing a steak restaurant.

Could had him hawking Buona Beef. Dang it.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

i am sorry to my white sox comrades, but the sox trading for shields and then him having just unleash an unholy run on some of the most dogshit pitching performances ever witnessed was so loving funny.

e: first month on the south side

The funniest thing is that the trade was mandated by the Padres owner after he called Shields out on the radio.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVFsq9FQBlc

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
I play MLB The Show year round. New stuff ain't even really coming out anymore and I still enjoy hitting homers off idiots who use Nolan Ryan and just pitch fastballs down the middle.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
I'm probably the reason the SDS coffee pot gets a bigger upgrade than the actual game every year

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Legit lol

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Sydin posted:

LA got:

Red Sox got:

Lol at the time it looked awful and well...they sure saved a few bucks!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
One of the wildest things about the Mookie trade is that people will still defend it and say Mookie was dead set on testing the FA market!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

One of the wildest things about the Mookie trade is that people will still defend it and say Mookie was dead set on testing the FA market!

Never let hindsight get in the way of a bad argument.