Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It has always been the case that intrinsics override perks, but I'm not sure we've ever had a situation where the artifact perk offers benefits above and beyond what the intrinsic does. So this is complying with the rules on paper, but maybe it's a corner of the design space they should have thought a bit more about straying into. 25% damage is pretty big to give up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
To clarify/confirm I'm not talking about the anti-champ artifact mod being effective/ineffective on a gun that has an inherent anti-champ trait. But specifically the Overcharge (of 'overcharge and surge' fame) being applied or not applied to an exotic.

The artifact mod text is "(Weapon Type) is always overcharged when that modifier is active" but it should state something like... "If granted anti-unstoppable in this manner, Bows will be overcharged when that modifier is active"

Messier still is that artifact mods sometimes DO boost and overcharge weapons if they grant the SAME breaker to a weapon. Monarque or Thunderlord can stun overloads. But, they have enhanced stun behavior and bonus damage to champions when Overload Bow or Overload Machine Gun are selected...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The rocket sidearm is cool and good and works great against barriers, but man they gave it the dinkiest firing sound in the world

pew pew!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Monarque or Thunderlord can stun overloads. But, they have enhanced stun behavior and bonus damage to champions when Overload Bow or Overload Machine Gun are selected...

Lol I didn't realize this

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Basically it's

If artifact mod and Exotic weapon have different breaker traits -> artifact mod is not applied
If artifact mod and Exotic weapon have the same breaker trait -> artifact mod overwrites the intrinsic

In most cases the artifact mod is 'better' so this is good, but there have been oddities like Piercing Bowstring making Wish-ender worse, because the arrows would never apply their bonus exit-wound damage

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

With the ornament your angel winged bow creates laser pentagrams. Now I need to get better aim.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Gotta give it a little nerf if some kind. A psychological one counts

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Heads up for anyone doing the new Exotic mission, Wish-Ender is still insanely busted. Rather than hop down and fight the big end boss normally, you can hang back up top and just shoot through the Vex "window" with Wish-Ender until he's dead. You'll have to run back and grab the two buffs every minute or so when they run out but if you don't want to deal with the tiny cramped arena and hordes of enemies, you don't have to. You can also hop up on the tiny ledge where the window is and your gun will poke through enough that you can use your heavy or special, but that leaves you open to taking hits from all the enemies in return.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

T1g4h posted:

Heads up for anyone doing the new Exotic mission, Wish-Ender is still insanely busted. Rather than hop down and fight the big end boss normally, you can hang back up top and just shoot through the Vex "window" with Wish-Ender until he's dead. You'll have to run back and grab the two buffs every minute or so when they run out but if you don't want to deal with the tiny cramped arena and hordes of enemies, you don't have to. You can also hop up on the tiny ledge where the window is and your gun will poke through enough that you can use your heavy or special, but that leaves you open to taking hits from all the enemies in return.

thanks for this :glomp:

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Basically it's

If artifact mod and Exotic weapon have different breaker traits -> artifact mod is not applied
If artifact mod and Exotic weapon have the same breaker trait -> artifact mod overwrites the intrinsic

In most cases the artifact mod is 'better' so this is good, but there have been oddities like Piercing Bowstring making Wish-ender worse, because the arrows would never apply their bonus exit-wound damage

Ahh. Cuz I thought intrinsic always overrode everything but still got the surge/overcharge.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This week's mission and exotic mission were pretty neat. Probably would have been neater if Riven's audio played and if the cutscene didn't crash the game hard enough to force ingame reverification, though

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 20, 2023

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Taranis you have to stop. You wish too hard. Your swag too different. Your bitch is too bad. They’ll kill you Taranis.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah I'm Taranis

Taranis rivenussy apart lol

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah I'm Taranis

lol

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

T1g4h posted:

Oh neat :hfive:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
New mission real fun, love the enviorment

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
There's a part of the new exotic mission where you have to jump to different ledges but there's walls that pop in and out blocking your path.

NBD since this is a dumb mechanic we're all used to. But I missed my jump at one point and fell down to a very small ledge near the bottom of the pit that kept me alive. Too bad that I couldn't get up normally and kept dying only to be rezzed back at that same dumb spot.

I tried all different techniques to try to get back up without having to restart the entire mission. Then after 30 minutes I remembered I could just equip strand and grapple my way back up

:newlol:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

neutral milf hotel posted:

There's a part of the new exotic mission where you have to jump to different ledges but there's walls that pop in and out blocking your path.

NBD since this is a dumb mechanic we're all used to. But I missed my jump at one point and fell down to a very small ledge near the bottom of the pit that kept me alive. Too bad that I couldn't get up normally and kept dying only to be rezzed back at that same dumb spot.

I tried all different techniques to try to get back up without having to restart the entire mission. Then after 30 minutes I remembered I could just equip strand and grapple my way back up

:newlol:

Oh poo poo. Do you have a charge after switching, though?

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Oh poo poo. Do you have a charge after switching, though?

Ha! Nope. But it only took a few minutes to get my grapple charge back up

I played the rest of the mission as a strand warlock but with a very unoptimized load out. The solo operative artifact perk was super useful

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah I'm Taranis

The terminology in the lore suggests it was the other way around.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
The lore after the exotic mission is extremely dumb. Ahamkara were much cooler as an unknowable evil. You can still do “but what if we were the real monsters all along” plenty of ways without having a wish dragon romance.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Lord Wexia posted:

The lore after the exotic mission is extremely dumb. Ahamkara were much cooler as an unknowable evil.
This has been the issue with how most of the storylines have been wrapped up. You have a fundamental question about the nature of evolution embedded is the whole dichotomy of light and dark, and then all of a sudden no, the final shape is a specific shape that one gestalt entity wants to impose on reality by plugging two paracausal rear end-pulls together.

They really didn't have to explain it! I can understand why everyone got mad in D1 over the exo stranger, and I think the situation left a kind of psychological wound where they now feel like 'wrapping up' entails explaining every single thing.

It's one of the reasons I'm actually really not looking forward to the final shape. We get to go into the traveller's pale heart. And instead of it being all mysterious, like whatever the hell it shot all over the witness' pyramid, it's going to be clumsy attempt after clumsy attempt at explaining things best left as cosmic mysteries too huge for our tiny monke brains to fully process.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
You could simply explain the cosmic mysteries in ways our monkeys brains can process, but which are also satisfying and interesting.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
I don't mind the witness stuff. Like 'big dumb idiot doesn't get it but thinks he does and fucks everything up' makes sense and the witness has been established as a big dumb idiot. He's a guy with a lot of power but still thinks linearly and fundamentally cannot understand things that aren't like him. He's not that big a departure from cosmic mystery stuff, and could have been a great addition in the hands of better writers.

Making the ahamkara extremely human and not alien or ethereal or whatever is just Bungie having no idea why something is cool and having less of an idea what to do with it. Just another thing to throw on the pile of proof that this story will not have a satisfying end.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What if Riven simply wished to not die if she wished for herself

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

RBA Starblade posted:

What if Riven simply wished to not die if she wished for herself

What if she wished for an infinite amount of rivens

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

This has been the issue with how most of the storylines have been wrapped up. You have a fundamental question about the nature of evolution embedded is the whole dichotomy of light and dark, and then all of a sudden no, the final shape is a specific shape that one gestalt entity wants to impose on reality by plugging two paracausal rear end-pulls together.

They really didn't have to explain it! I can understand why everyone got mad in D1 over the exo stranger, and I think the situation left a kind of psychological wound where they now feel like 'wrapping up' entails explaining every single thing.

It's one of the reasons I'm actually really not looking forward to the final shape. We get to go into the traveller's pale heart. And instead of it being all mysterious, like whatever the hell it shot all over the witness' pyramid, it's going to be clumsy attempt after clumsy attempt at explaining things best left as cosmic mysteries too huge for our tiny monke brains to fully process.

I mean that's what you get from a subjective attempt to explain the finality of the universe actually probably just a conflict, large scale within the media res of the greater universe by a single entity. The entity has bias, and the greater your scalar size as an entity, likely the more different your perception. Riven, who feeds and thrives on ontological delta among other things, probably perceives The Final Shape™ much differently than, say, Savathun, who has more of a specific angle and vested interest in it on her first glacial-time go 'round in this lifespan.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah I'm Taranis

god ddaaaamn

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 20, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is the Lake of Shadows rework as big a pain in the rear end in GM as it looks like it is? I've never played the new version

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Reinstalled because my brain needed a cheap dopamine hit.

Core game still so, so good. All the jank on top of it still really, really isn't.

I have no idea what makes an orb anymore, and all the armor mods work on picking up orbs? Whatever, I'm just doing low level stuff, and I don't think I even need to engage with it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Failson posted:

Core game still so, so good. All the jank on top of it still really, really isn't.

I have no idea what makes an orb anymore, and all the armor mods work on picking up orbs? Whatever, I'm just doing low level stuff, and I don't think I even need to engage with it.

They changed orb generation so you have to install a helmet mod to enable it for your chosen element (set it to match your primary for a low effort decent orb supply). There are also a couple of mods and artifact perks that make orbs when specific things happen

Elemental wells are gone, most of their functionality is now in the armor charge system which runs on orbs

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Explaining the Ahamkara a bit made them more compelling to me, I dunno. I appreciate Riven as a character a lot more with the wrinkles the last week threw in than just the inscrutable jerk she was before.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That exotic strand bow seems really good. 50% bonus damage and shortened draw time against Suspended targets?

Also, interesting 'bug' or maybe intentional design - Artifact mods that give anti-champ traits to a weapon will not 'Overcharge' certain exotics that have an inherent anti-champ trait. The mod has to successfully grant the anti-champ trait in order to grant the Overcharge effect.

Or in clearer words, say you're running the artifact mod Anti-Unstoppable Bow. If you put on a Ticuu's or a Trinity Ghoul, they will be granted anti-unstoppable and will gain the 25% damage bonus from Overcharged. If you put on a Wish-Ender or a Monarque, they will not be granted anti-unstoppable and they will not gain the 25% bonus damage from Overcharged.

Semi-related, back when Unstoppable Fusion Rifle was in the artifact, it had a bit of leftover applicability to Linear Fusion Rifles from Season of the Lost, so if you equipped a Fusion Rifle and a Linear Fusion Rifle at the same time, the Linear would be Unstoppable as well. Most people knew this and used it until Bungie patched it out. What I think was considerably more obscure was that Linears would also get Overcharged and get the 25% damage bonus if you did this trick.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 20, 2023

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Was there just the one hidden chest in the exotic mission this week? I was running a chest detector, which is how I found out it existed at all, and there were a few places that were very obviously Something Is Going To Be Here, but the detector never found any others even though I was trying to test the boundaries of where I could go by normal means.

I did the mission solo on a solar hunter to test out Shards' new functionality (it was quite useful), so I inadvertently got multiple triumphs, but some of those encounters are quite rough solo even with solo operative active and 100 in both resil and recov.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That's the only one anyone has found. The rest are probably timegated

The places where there is obviously supposed to be something I am assuming are related to the catalyst quests

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
lmao I tried a Nighthawk build in the dungeon and kept missing the crits, and I was like "what the gently caress is going on with my aim, what the gently caress is going on with these hitboxes, this is the worst night of my life."

Today, I watch a build video on Nighthawk and it mentions "make sure you're using Marksman because it'll enable precision damage on your Golden Gun."

I immediately go open Destiny and check my hunter. Guess what I find.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Failson posted:

Armor charge system caps out at 3 charges. You can store more by investing "charged up" armor mods into your chest piece at 3 energy each.

Orb generation comes from:
- Siphons (Helmet) - multikills with weapons, replaced the whole masterwork/catalyst system.
- Ability Kills (Gloves) - Firepower (Grenades) and Heavy handed (melee). Has a bit of a long cooldown between orb generations (10s for 1 copy, 7s for 2 copies, 5s for 3 copies, IIRC)
- Banked Class Ability Usage (Class Item) - Reaper will store an orb generation that pops out if you kill an enemy within 10s.
- Subclass fragments - Something like Spark of Amplitude has a specific condition (Multikills while amplified, in this case) to pop out an orb.
- Other people's supers

For builds, I'd split "spenders" into two camps.

Save it to be spent at specific moments in time:
- Kickstarts (Gloves/Class Item) - Grenade/Melee kickstart will refund a chunk of your grenade/melee based on armor charge and number of kickstart mods on your gloves. Utility kickstart will do the same for class ability activations, and lives on your class item. Good for potent abilities that you want to invest in. Works with some exotics, not with others (Contraverse Hold works, but Ashen Wake and Mk44 Stand Asides are questionable.)
- Emergency Protection - I forget the name of the class mod, but there's a chest mod that will spend all your armor charges and give you a period of damage resistance based on how many of that armor mod you have equipped, as well as how many stacks of armor charge.
- Finishers - Instead of costing super energy, armor charges can be spent to reload your weapons, get your health back, get an overshield, get special ammo, recover a portion of your ability energy, and more. Only one finisher mod can be equipped at a time.

Degrades over time for a passive benefit. By default it's active for 10s per charge, with additional time per charge with the Time Dilation perk (lives on your class item):
- Surges - Stacking damage bonuses that live on your legs. Stacks with other sources of damage amplification like empowering rifts, bubble, or well.
- Fonts - Stat bonuses totaling to +30/+50/+60 for 1/2/3 stacks of the corresponding font mod.

Evergreen bonuses for picking up orbs live on your legs, these would be Recuperation, Better Already, or Absolution. Recuperation is incredibly important, as content's reached the point in terms of enemy density and constant pressure to where having a source of regeneration is necessary to keep yourself in the fight.

There are utility mods that make parts of the armor charge system a bit easier. Stacks on Stacks grants 2 charges instead of 1 when you get charged. Elemental Charge will use subclass widgets (Ionic Traces, Solar Firesprites, so on) to charge you up, but it's not one-to-one. Charged Up will give you 1 additional possible charge per copy. Time Dilation gives you more time with decaying armor charge stacks. Powerful Attraction will absorb nearby orbs when you activate your class ability, range depending on number of copies.

I will say, Legs are the hardest thing to work with in the system. Everything you'd want for PvE builds lives on your legs (Scavengers, Holsters, Orb pickup bonuses, Surges, Stacks on Stacks and Elemental Charge).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

Is the Lake of Shadows rework as big a pain in the rear end in GM as it looks like it is? I've never played the new version

It’s still easy, just a little annoying bits here and there. I think you a still cheese the boss.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
From running it on master, if you take the boss slowly and have at least one person devoted to burning down adds and the resonant splinters that spawn in, the boss room doesn't seem that challenging. If you bring CC like Stasis turrets or Suspend, the tormentor room's easy too.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I like how Riven/the Ahamkara are like haha big delicious reality let's get these dudes set my TABLE, MMMH

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
In the new Lake of Shadows' final boss fight, the waves of adds are triggered by specific levels of boss health. So if your fireteam stops dps and clears them out whenever a new wave spawns, it's actually not too difficult. If your team does a huge chunk of damage at once, or ignores them and keeps shooting, then you'll get several waves in the arena at once and will have a bad time. Also keep an eye out for those pyramid prisms; shooting them gets rid of the ground poisoning.

ponzicar fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 20, 2023

BigOwlGuyBMJ
Dec 13, 2022

ponzicar posted:

In the new Lake of Shadows' final boss fight, the waves of adds are triggered by specific levels of boss health. So if your fireteam stops dps and clears them out whenever a new wave spawns, it's actually not too difficult. If your team does a huge chunk of damage at once, or ignores them and keeps shooting, then you'll get several waves in the arena at once and will have a bad time. Also keep an eye out for those pyramid prisms; shooting them gets rid of the ground poisoning.

The old tried and true bubble and three swords strat still works. Made even better by banner titans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thanks for the advice! Giving it a go

The meatball has way too much hp lol

e: Lol someone wanted to cheese, we got up, we all instantly died to fire

E: This boss sucks lol, no cover at all from the aoe attacks

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 20, 2023