Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

deep dish peat moss posted:

The good news is that Owlcat DLCs generally don't extend the campaign. They tend to offer new companions and classes, additional (separate) campaigns that go in-depth about side stories from the main campaign, vaguely roguelike dungeons that integrate into the main campaign, new mid-game story beats, etc.

The announced Rogue Trader ones are explicitly integrated, though we don't know if they're in the middle or the end or what.

Owlcat posted:

1. Void Shadows
(coming June 2024)

The first major story expansion is all about the Rogue Trader's voidship, the life of its crew, and the threats lurking in its holds. Dive into a new epic story integrated into the main narrative, battle new enemies, and recruit a new companion — a death cult assassin. Explore new decks of your voidship, unlock new upgrade options, and master the mechanics of void combat. Meet new members of your crew on the bridge, such as the Astropath, the chirurgeon, and others.
The events of this story will be reflected in the game's epilogue.

This expansion offers 15 hours of gameplay.

2. Lex Imperialis
(coming December 2024)

The second major story expansion sees the Lord Captain join forces with a new companion — a member of the Adeptus Arbites. As the past of House von Valancius begins to present itself in a new light, the Rogue Trader faces difficult decisions that may affect the future of the entire Koronus Expanse.
Over the course of this story, you will get a chance to learn more about the collection of the Imperial Tithe, otherwise known as the Grand Harvesting. Interfere with this fundamental process of the Imperium at your own peril. Discover new areas, game mechanics, and archetypes — and of course, encounter new horrors of the Immaterium.

This expansion likewise offers 15 hours of gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

These are their current DLC plans, which both read as midgame side stories to me:

e:f,b

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Yeah I think people have been confusing the phrases integrated and extended. The DLC is going to be part of the main story, as opposed to the weird one shots Kingmaker and Wrath were so fond of, not extensions after the ending.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Would burst-fire arch-militants still be broken if they fixed it by not counting burst-fire as an area attack? It seems like an unintended bug that they work with concentrated fire and create two stacks of versatility each burst without having to actually use an alternate attack (because the attack is a burst and an area). Never having to perform suboptimal actions is huge, getting your scaling at double the intended speed is a huge factor in how busted burst-fire is currently, and the flamer talent is currently better for bolters than rapid fire.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

First DLC sounds like it's simply an additional adventure you can go on at some time during the game, because exploring the depths of your ship does not particularly sound like endgame content. The second one is a potential extension though, given it's talking about the future of your house in the Koronus Expanse. Alternatively just more impactful on the overall state of your dynasty than the other.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I expect that we will get the Ork dlc at some point because the lack of Orks is GLARING since they are supposed to absolutely infest the galaxy and there are known Ork strongholds in the Koronus Expanse TTRPG setting. It might even possibly be tied in with an Ork companion since the TTRPG did actually have rules for Orks and an Ork Freeboota/Blood Axe hanging around a Rogue Trader is only slightly more unlikely than an Eldar Ranger hanging around a Rogue Trader.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

KPC_Mammon posted:

Would burst-fire arch-militants still be broken if they fixed it by not counting burst-fire as an area attack? It seems like an unintended bug that they work with concentrated fire and create two stacks of versatility each burst without having to actually use an alternate attack (because the attack is a burst and an area). Never having to perform suboptimal actions is huge, getting your scaling at double the intended speed is a huge factor in how busted burst-fire is currently, and the flamer talent is currently better for bolters than rapid fire.

Yeah. Single Shot, Burst, Ranged Area, Single Melee, and Area Melee were all supposed to be distinct attacks that built one stack per use. Burst seems scuffed because it seems to be either doing 2 per use, or however many targets get hit during the burst. Not 100% sure because I wasn't counting. Your explanation sounds right because it'd also explain why you could spam bursts and get stacks--if it counts as both, then so long as it's counting in the same order each time, it always thinks you're alternating.

Mind you, they'd still be VERY strong. It's not hard to alternate between a burst from a rapid fire weapon and a ranged area from a flamer or a single shot from a sniper rifle, for instance. A proper nerf would be ONLY building versatility from alternating ranged and melee attacks, but that'd pidgeon-hole AMs into a single style which... I dunno how I feel about that.

edit: Maybe also a penalty for switching weapons in combat. I can't tell if they intended for weapons to be free-swappable or if there's supposed to be an AP/MP cost there.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 20, 2023

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

AnEdgelord posted:

I expect that we will get the Ork dlc at some point because the lack of Orks is GLARING since they are supposed to absolutely infest the galaxy and there are known Ork strongholds in the Koronus Expanse TTRPG setting. It might even possibly be tied in with an Ork companion since the TTRPG did actually have rules for Orks and an Ork Freeboota/Blood Axe hanging around a Rogue Trader is only slightly more unlikely than an Eldar Ranger hanging around a Rogue Trader.

Wouldn't hanging out with an ork seed eventual ork invasions in every place you visit?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Sharkopath posted:

Wouldn't hanging out with an ork seed eventual ork invasions in every place you visit?

probably, but keep in mind that while we know that its not entirely clear that many in the Imperium actually realize that outside of the Magos Biologis and the Ordo Xenos

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 20, 2023

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It would also require the residents allowing the early grots and squigs to setup their farms.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

Yeah but that’s in the places you’ve already left so who cares?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

probably, but keep in mind that while we know that its not entirely clear that many in the Imperium actually realize that outside of the Magos Biologis and the Ordo Xenos

Well that solves that I guess.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

The Lone Badger posted:

Yeah but that’s in the places you’ve already left so who cares?

You're a Rogue Trader, you take over the places you visit so you can profit off them. You are only loving yourself.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Just finished the Ruined Palace exploration mission.

Somehow managed to constantly out-heal and eventually out DPS the Corrupted Noble despite him re-healing hundreds of HP per round. Halo devices are just as good as expected.

I've played enough Dark Heresy campaigns to know what to do with their loot next. :stare:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mulva posted:

You're a Rogue Trader, you take over the places you visit so you can profit off them. You are only loving yourself.

Realistically you're loving over your descendants and really they should be able to deal with a Waaagh. Builds character.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I failed Persona Non Grata. Is there a time limit on it? Can I just never get Jae now?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I can't lez out with Argenta? This is very concerning...

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

her heart only has room for the grace of the God-Emperor and Heavy Weapons Proficiency

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

I failed Persona Non Grata. Is there a time limit on it? Can I just never get Jae now?

Yeah, I decided to reload this because I had the same thing happen. The trigger seems to be finishing one of the three main planet missions, as the save I reloaded in the Janus system before I actually finished it still had Persona Non Grata active and I could go back and pick her up fine.

Going by the end of Persona Non Grata, I guess certain things still happen without you present. Honestly I don't mind it, as it's a way of conveying that the world still moves on if you choose to do something else - and the quest description does imply she doesn't have long - but I know a bunch of people don't like that sort of thing, particularly if not heavily signposted.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 20, 2023

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Does Idira have the ability that gives her +1 psy rating every time someone uses a Heroic? Her Scream damage can get disgusting that way (Scream is the best way to hurt this boss).

Hasn't this not working been a known bug all this time? Did they just patch it yesterday? I thought that was just quest stuff.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

KPC_Mammon posted:

They would ramp up slower but ultimately so long as you have officers feeding turns to the arch militant they're still going to scale forever. It'll just be a more even race between their scaling forever and Cass'.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Where is this plasma gun in the shadow quarters?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Eminent DNS posted:

Hasn't this not working been a known bug all this time? Did they just patch it yesterday? I thought that was just quest stuff.

If it’s not working then there must have been some other bug giving her disgusting damage in the later rounds of the fight.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Clerical Terrors posted:

I kept romancing Heinrix on the side while also romancing Jae and Yrliet because it amused me how much he insists he's a good boy Inquisitor and won't let his feelings get the better of him and how he's clearly extremely hot and bothered by my Rogue Trader.

This. I've done the exact same thing. but I let Jae break up with me because she didn't feel like she was good enough for me.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Zore posted:

Realistically you're loving over your descendants and really they should be able to deal with a Waaagh. Builds character.

You're a Rogue Trader, if you aren't living for centuries stretched over thousands of years what the gently caress are you doing with your life?

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Eschatos posted:

Goddamn the word bearer boss fight on the first planet is kicking my rear end. Any tips? Main problem is that I don't have enough movement to get everyone in separate cover first round, so usually at least one person goes down to the heavy bolter before they get a chance to act.

I typically have Cassia give Abelard the 2 free turn 0 APs to let him run out of cover but (VERY IMPORTANT) not in contact with the CSM, and have him Endure+Taunt+Brace for Impact. Which sort of breaks the AI for some reason.
When you do that from cover, s/he will sprint around the cover and unload full auto, destroying everyone. If you do that in contact s/he will kick Abelard away for massive damage (and usually a lost turn) THEN unload full auto at him for massive damage.

But if you shout at them from a few squares away s/he'll only fire the one bolt at you. Dunno why, but I'll take it. Oh, and DON'T hit them in that pre-combat turn, you'll only tickle them but trigger their enrage ability, and that's not great.

Sharkopath posted:

So order him to wear a latex full-body glove underneath the sweet hat you're paying him for its services, it's fine.

Kobal2 posted:

EDIT : that's actually kind of the build I'm going for on my Heretic run (to capitalize on the early melta pistol), except I'm doing that with a Crimelord, high AGI/PER and sort of ditching BS for WS (for The Killing Plan) and alternating with hitting people with a (cursed) sword. I'm hoping Revel, Versatility and the sniper rifle in my other pocket will tide me over re: BS in the long run. Besides, I'll be firing at point-blank and flanking any cover so that should be a'ight. Will do a trip report in the fullness of time.

I'd promised a trip report, so here goes :
So far (early-mid act 2, I did Janus and Dargonus and am now faffing about exploring things and getting into random scraps) it's... OK, but a bit disappointing/less wildly overpowered than Argenta's bolter route. One part of this is having one less Officer to build up Versatility stacks, ofc, but beyond that :

- The Killing Plan from Crimeguy is underwhelming. You can't really stack INT so really don't have many Crimepoints to play with and the "get 1 back" talents don't fire reliably enough to maintain stacks. But when you need that extra kick over the cliff or survivability, it's still nice.
- Mobility-wise, it's insane. 8 MP base, +3 from rush, +8 from Arch-Militant lets you reliably eat poo poo because you're already three rooms away from the team. Well, not really because stacking AGI+Escape Plan lets you dodge 95% of the stuff. 5% is still dicey when you haven't been paying attention to Toughness at all. But really, survivability is not a problem at all on this build as long as you don't get overconfident.
- Action economy-wise it's a bit dicey before you get your 5th AP, the Arch-Militant ulti to give you free shots + Doing My Part (and Argenta kicked off the team) to make a bunch of non-attacks free. Once you get rolling, however, it's good.
- Damage-wise it where the story gets grimmer, and that has to do with itemization. So far, beyond the free heretic melta I've only found one regular-rear end, 2H meltagun that barely does more damage, and a Heavy Melta that I can't wield and don't care to learn to because this build is already pretty feat-hungry. I've found good plasma in either form, good 2H swords/hammers, VERY good bolters and flamers but big ticket 1H weapons and AoE pistols ? Eeeeh. I"m packing a combat shotty in the other slot which works well enough to clear human mooks but high armour foes stump my berzerker rear end dead so far. I can do one big "my AoE is actually a single target nuke" for ~60 damage per turn but after that it's basically plinking.
Thankfully that's where Plasmasqal shines - as long as he doesn't die like a bitch because 4 mega-armored heavy bolter turrets shredded his cover, then him turn 1. That fight was LONG until I'd accrued enough Versatility to put a real dent through the armor... all the moreso that, as turrets, they were immune to my OTHER nuke in a can (Idira w/ Psychic Wail, which is like Cassia's Lidless Stare only with actual damage)

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

There’s a named meltagun in chapter 2 on the corrupted mechanicus planet.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
A single ork isn't going to be the start of some world breaking waagh. At worst you might find a grot on your ship in a decade or something.

The problem happens when an army of orks land somewhere and fight for a bit. Even if they're all wiped out they collectively dropped enough spores that new orks will appear in a few years and compound the problem.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm amused at Perun being too genre savvy about 40k to think that the Rykad Triumph is a good idea, and also being constantly frustrated that there's nothing more to the lower decks strike plot. :allears:

He's right though. Everyone involved in that parade, including the Trader, is holding a giant idiot ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjROXljhfD0

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Kobal2 posted:

- Damage-wise it where the story gets grimmer, and that has to do with itemization. So far, beyond the free heretic melta I've only found one regular-rear end, 2H meltagun that barely does more damage, and a Heavy Melta that I can't wield and don't care to learn to because this build is already pretty feat-hungry. I've found good plasma in either form, good 2H swords/hammers, VERY good bolters and flamers but big ticket 1H weapons and AoE pistols ? Eeeeh. I"m packing a combat shotty in the other slot which works well enough to clear human mooks but high armour foes stump my berzerker rear end dead so far. I can do one big "my AoE is actually a single target nuke" for ~60 damage per turn but after that it's basically plinking.

High-damage pistols in Act 2 I found are the inferno pistol in the crashed Black Ship and the Retobi-Pattern plasma pistol, which you can get from a vendor or on Kiava Gamma. Or Drukhari blast pistols, those hit anything in a straight single-tile line. Also there's two higher damage 2-hand meltaguns, one on Kiava Gamma and one from the Drusian vendor.

Magni fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 20, 2023

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Warmachine posted:

I'm amused at Perun being too genre savvy about 40k to think that the Rykad Triumph is a good idea, and also being constantly frustrated that there's nothing more to the lower decks strike plot. :allears:

He's right though. Everyone involved in that parade, including the Trader, is holding a giant idiot ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjROXljhfD0

I mean there kind of is more to the plot, since that deck gets used for an Incursion that can randomly happen. But it isn't exactly spelled out.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

The good news is that Owlcat DLCs generally don't extend the campaign. They tend to offer new companions and classes, additional (separate) campaigns that go in-depth about side stories from the main campaign, vaguely roguelike dungeons that integrate into the main campaign, optional mid-game story beats, etc. But you never need the DLCs to get the full campaign story experience.

Jack Trades posted:

OH! I just saw another major thing that they have improved since the Pathfinder games.

Season Pass description states that all the DLCs will actually be extensions to the main campaign, rather than some bullshit standalone campaigns or endless dungeons nobody cares about.

Good on you Owlcat, huge improvements all around. Gold star.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

KPC_Mammon posted:

Wait, what? I was alternating burst/single because I read the tool-tip and I always forget to grab the flamethrower from the Explorers. So each burst adds two stacks?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What's with Plasteel being loving EVERYWHERE and used for nothing at all? Is that an Owlcat trap to make me waste my mining outposts?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So I just started playing this in earnest a few days ago. I'm about 6 hours in.
As somebody who only has piecemeal knowledge of 40k the first thing to strike me was how inauspicious a title like "Rogue Trader" is compared to the level of authority it wields.
I was expecting something more akin in scope to Han Solo, not...whatever pop culture reference is applicable to the governor of a spacefaring city-state.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

What's with Plasteel being loving EVERYWHERE and used for nothing at all? Is that an Owlcat trap to make me waste my mining outposts?

It does get used for a bunch of early stuff I think, so I guess you could ostensibly use it to start up your trading empire if you hadn't already.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

evilmiera posted:

It does get used for a bunch of early stuff I think, so I guess you could ostensibly use it to start up your trading empire if you hadn't already.

I'm like 2/3rds through Act 2, I got 18 Plasteel and nothing to use it on. There was one 5 Plasteel contract and that's it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Does Toybox have a specific setting for unlimited respecs or do you pay for them then set your Profit Factor back up to what it used to be?

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

KPC_Mammon posted:

Before I realised that burst was an area attack I wasn't using concentrated fire, so it was double stacking the burst attacks I was still switching between burst and single shot as intended for the class. Even before versatility stacks my Argenta had 86% chance to hit the central lane which made it very reliable against single targets before stacking began.

So based on that, fixing the attack type would change the class from "very very good" to "very good." With cassia able to bunch enemies up into a front line, killzone debuffing those enemies and many sources of +flat damage plus scaling buffs per hit it's still not hard to get your AM online before the enemy even gets to act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Does Toybox have a specific setting for unlimited respecs or do you pay for them then set your Profit Factor back up to what it used to be?

Party tab has a button to respec a character.