Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Glass Punkbull 141 posted:

Someone just an hour ago pulled a gun shaped lighter on me and thought that it was the most hilarious poo poo ever when I flinched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Found a Chick Tract on my doorknob, this morning. It was just "Soul Sisters," not one of the famous ones. Neighboring doors got "Fame" and "It's a Deal." Label on the back says it's from the local Southern Baptist church. Yuck.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My mom has been basically held hostage by the hospital since last tuesday. She went in for lumbar spinal surgery last tuesday, to have 3 vertebrae operated on. During the procedure, the surgeon perforated a sac containing spinal fluid, causing a leak. They stitched it back up but noted it and that she would likely need to stay an extra day to ensure it healed properly. That's not the problem. The problem is mom has Afib, and the surgery kicked off her Afib again. Because of this, they refused to discharge her, have physical therapy interact with her, or even allow her to go to the bathroom, instead making her use a commode. So, during the time after her surgery(which is usually day surgery or an overnight stay) when she is supposed to be doing physical therapy to make sure things are going right, they outright would not do said therapy and so she has been bedridden instead. Today was the first day she has been out of bed since the surgery, besides to sit on a commode. She was basically being imprisoned in the hospital, because afib is not a be-all-end-all disaster, it's a lovely thing that sucks, but she's had it for a long, long time and it's not something that requires week-long hospitalization and confinement to a bed. however, if I were to take her home, they would claim we were Going Against Medical Professional's Orders and so insurance would not cover her. It's a horrible situation, and it especially infuriates me because she gets seriously meshuggeneh especially at night in the hospital, because it's such a blank void of a place with next to no interaction or entertainment and terrible sleep quality. The nurses apparently call it "Hospital Delirium", it's such a frequent thing. The cardiologist acknowledged they do send people home who have afib on medication, but he doesn't feel comfortable letting her go just yet. Today the afib finally relented, but her heart rate is at a consistent 135, so they're still keeping her there. They said if they can get it under 110 consistently that she can go home, but that might not be for another couple days.

Also, she has a roommate who had multiple strokes and is possibly dying, so that's another cool thing she gets to deal with.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Apparently iron sucrose IV, while fine during and after the infusion, makes me wake up in the middle of the night to spend until the next morning puking.

And I've got another 4 to go, so that's fun to look forward to (will ask them about if there's anything that can be done to help though)

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
My grandpa died in January. I visited my family several times, the day after he died, his funeral, a few weeks later. My grandma wanted to visit me like she and my grandpa did every year since I moved away. It's a 3 hour drive. By train, not horrible, but involving some London changes, not ideal for an 86 year old. My mum offered at the time to drive her and visit me. Sounds lovely! I have a 1 br flat so it'd involve a cheap hotel. Cool.

It didn't happen. When I asked my mum she said "grandma's calendar is pretty full.". Fine whatever

They just went by train to visit my cousin in a big city 4 hours away from them. He has a nice flat in a big city.

I'm hurt. I know it's my mum, not my grandma. I'll take Grandma away for a weekend again next summer. Just won't bother visiting my mum. 10 years since I moved out, I live 3 hours away and she's visited twice. And not for 8 years. I have a father and two brothers too. My dad and middle brother are both capable of driving. No one bothers. None of them give a gently caress.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I accidently ended up on the local shelter's pet adoption page when i was looking for the dmv to renew my registration.I saw a lovely german shepherd named Freya. she was a impound, because her previous owner sucked in some undetailed way. my judgement had been a bit compromised and i ended up adopting her. that was Tuesday. loving dog, fell for me, my brother, my current dog, Max who is a black shepherd mix, even tolerated my cat, though with some confused i dont understand borks. Spent Tuesday and Wednesday nights sleeping on me, snuggling, licking my face, and being a good girl. She had some issues with seeing chickens for the first time, and ended up chasing them.

My rear end in a top hat neighbor seems me chasing her, and while im trying to grab her and get her away from the chickens, I hear a pistol shot. Thank god he didnt shoot her, but loving hell. "I was just trying to get her attention!" So now thats how thats going. Wednesday, i spend most of the time walking her on a leash, showing her small animals like ducks and chickens and getting her to calm down about them.. She still had issues seeing the horse, but thats because distance. Neighbor is shouting at me to get rid of that rear end in a top hat dog, its making his dogs go nuts in his house. Freya hasnt barked or done anything, his dogs are idiot untrained assholes.

Today, im walking her again, and meet with the older guy who lives there. Freya wont stop barking at him and pulling her leash. She senses what a dick he is. I'd normally tell them to gently caress off, but this has already involved gunfire. So more or less, i rented a dog i love tons for 3 days as i took her back to the shelter this morning :smith:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Where the hell do you live where it's okay for your neighbor to discharge(presumably, hopefully, into the ground???) a firearm as a "warning shot" because you're chasing your dog around? this story seems to be missing parts because unless your dog got loose and it's the neighbor's chickens she was attacking, I don't see why he would go after her to that extent. I'm not saying he's not a psychopathic rear end in a top hat but that seems like an insane escalation. and if your dog is having a reaction to a shithead walking by, you take steps to avoid them, it's usually pretty obvious when a dog begins to get agitated before they go totally nuts. I've definitely had my dogs get very worked up when someone approaches and so I stop moving, stay at a distance from them, and hold my dog's collar and have them sit until the person has passed. this has worked every time, with every dog I've had, with maybe one or two exceptional instances.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Middle of nowhere, Oregon coast. Nearest inhabited house is about a mile off. gunshots get muffled by the trees. Its my family, not my neighbors. That i leave out. even anonymously over the internet, its embarrassing as gently caress that im related to those shitbags. I live in a 400 sqft cabin on the same property as them, the rent is free, and my bills add up to gas, 200 for utilities, internet and tv, and misc for my truck and my phone. my food is oregon trail card because i got that disability at least during covid. ssdi has not been as kind. The gunfire was from my 21 year old brother who has the chickens, and uses his pistol like loving yosemite sam when his untrained idiot dog gets out of the house and goes wandering. he fires a shot or two to get its attention. so i hear discharges 3-4 times some weeks. randomly, 7am usually. im on county land, a mile from any public roads and the sheriffs would have to drive 2 hours to get here anyway. I had her two days, and the shithead was my 74 year old father, who owns the land i live on. so.. .. yeah.

Being told "oh this is your land tooo!' your whole life, but being unable to DO anything with it sucks loving rear end.

mystes
May 31, 2006

yikes that sucks but if your family is that crazy I can definitely understand your decision to take the dog back rather than risk it

mystes has a new favorite as of 02:16 on Dec 8, 2023

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I've got a ""new"" (refurbed) computer, it's got an M.2 drive which is nice and fancy! I like it! Feels a bit faster than the SATA solid state I had in my old computer. I still want to use that, though, because the M.2 drive is only a 256GB drive, and the old one is a 1TB drive, but it would make a great storage drive. I've got it installed, got the SATA cable hooked up to the motherboard, grabbed the power cable... wait, that's not a SATA power cable, that's one of them 4-pin connectors. Ah well, I'll just open up the back of the case and unhook the SATA power cable from the spot it must be velcroed to.

Oh, it's not. There's just... not a power cable at all plugged into the spots on the power supply that say "SATA1" and "SATA2"

No biggie! I'll just go back to my first computer and grab the SATA cable from that power supply instead.

Oh. That one doesn't have modular power supply cables. That's a prebuilt that's irreversibly attached to the case, and all the cables feed through into the inside part of the power supply that has the big sticker on it that says "HEY DON'T OPEN THIS"

and the only way I can have the M.2 drive in this case, is if I uninstall all of the parts currently inside, so that I can swap the motherboards :shepface:

So if I wanna replay Baldur's Gate 3, I'm going to have to clear up enough space so that fully 60% of my 256GB hard drive space is taken up by this one game, or put an order in for some SATA power cables and wait a few days.

And all of my weekends are gonna be fully busy until the New Year.

:shepface: :shepface: Guess it's time to reinstall WinDirStat so I can figure out how my 256GB drive is 3/4th full when my steam library is empty!

e: yeah it turns out my entire photo library mirrored onto my computer, that was an easy fix :shobon:

bawk has a new favorite as of 07:23 on Dec 10, 2023

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

i'm somehow super busy on every day of my four days off that i requested months ago. i had important sitting to do god drat it

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

slept for 17 hours instead of searching for a job

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I was gifted a quarter ounce of mushrooms. Before work. On the Monday of my work week.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My kitchen ceiling has started leaking, which is very bad. My kitchen is permanently freezing now. Dishwasher broke. Heating only works sporadically. Broke and extremely worried about christmas vis a vis my kid. Haven't slept for two days. Landlord is on vacation somewhere in the pacific and is unreachable.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

No time like the present to mention the Goon Fund.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bawk posted:

I've got a ""new"" (refurbed) computer, it's got an M.2 drive which is nice and fancy! I like it! Feels a bit faster than the SATA solid state I had in my old computer. I still want to use that, though, because the M.2 drive is only a 256GB drive, and the old one is a 1TB drive, but it would make a great storage drive. I've got it installed, got the SATA cable hooked up to the motherboard, grabbed the power cable... wait, that's not a SATA power cable, that's one of them 4-pin connectors. Ah well, I'll just open up the back of the case and unhook the SATA power cable from the spot it must be velcroed to.

Oh, it's not. There's just... not a power cable at all plugged into the spots on the power supply that say "SATA1" and "SATA2"

No biggie! I'll just go back to my first computer and grab the SATA cable from that power supply instead.

Oh. That one doesn't have modular power supply cables. That's a prebuilt that's irreversibly attached to the case, and all the cables feed through into the inside part of the power supply that has the big sticker on it that says "HEY DON'T OPEN THIS"

and the only way I can have the M.2 drive in this case, is if I uninstall all of the parts currently inside, so that I can swap the motherboards :shepface:

So if I wanna replay Baldur's Gate 3, I'm going to have to clear up enough space so that fully 60% of my 256GB hard drive space is taken up by this one game, or put an order in for some SATA power cables and wait a few days.

And all of my weekends are gonna be fully busy until the New Year.

:shepface: :shepface: Guess it's time to reinstall WinDirStat so I can figure out how my 256GB drive is 3/4th full when my steam library is empty!

e: yeah it turns out my entire photo library mirrored onto my computer, that was an easy fix :shobon:

Just a heads up, don't use cables from one modular PSU in another unless they're the same model.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I think I broke my loving hand after completely wiping out on some ice, and landing about as bad as I possibly could. And it was my good hand too, ol lefty :argh:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Glass Punkbull 141 posted:

Someone just an hour ago pulled a gun shaped lighter on me and thought that it was the most hilarious poo poo ever when I flinched.

what the gently caress

I assume this person knows you well enough to know they won't get shot because if they're pulling that little "prank" on randos, welp

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Remember my dumbass boss' boss who has all of two brain calls, that are furiously fighting for third place? He's on his bullshit again!

His latest grievance against me that my boss has had to shoot down is that he wants me to get a doctor's note proving that I am, in fact, 100% deaf in both ears and have been for the entire ~12 year span that I've been a security guard.
The company is aware that I am deaf. They knew this when they hired me. His predecessors were aware of it. I'm pretty sure it's in my file in big, bold letters as the *reason* I work the shift I do and the hours that I do. He, however, has gotten it into his head that I must be faking it somehow. My boss has told him repeatedly not to, but my boss has also told me that he's done dealing with this man's bullshit and probably will not be my supervisor by the time the year ends. I have a suspicion most funkalicious that whoever replaces him will be less inclined to stand up to Boss' Boss bullshit.

This feels like something I can get his rear end into a lot of trouble over, but I have no idea where to start or how to go about it such that I'll get to keep my drat job, because you just know he'll find an excuse to boot me for making him look bad.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I added the term "drat this dead dog is heavy" to the topography of my personal noosphere.

Then they had to prep it for a rabies test.

This job is... difficult in a new way for me.

mystes
May 31, 2006

is a personal noosphere like a no no zone, or maybe a nope cube? because there's no way I would want to do that

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

It's all the things I could possibly think, unless I'm horribly misusing the term

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Lib and let die posted:

I added the term "drat this dead dog is heavy" to the topography of my personal noosphere.

Then they had to prep it for a rabies test.

This job is... difficult in a new way for me.

My co worker had to take a clay pawprint from a gore soaked decapitated rabies test dog ten minutes ago.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

UwUnabomber posted:

My co worker had to take a clay pawprint from a gore soaked decapitated rabies test dog ten minutes ago.

There's gotta be a better way :(

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I did custodial work for Oregon State University for a little while, and one day I was cleaning up the vet lab and I turned the corner and my broom hit a dead German shepherd that was just lying on top of plastic. I freaked out and backed up and fell onto a pile of dead German shepherds that were all encased in thick plastic bags :(

Worst day of my life until, you know, later trauma

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Andre Braugher died. 61, brief illness.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The primary renovation (plumbing, bathroom, some elec.) for my apartment was almost finished on friday, so I worked hard all weekend to paint and prep so that everything was in place for the electricians to wrap up the last bit.
Monday, I'm sore as all hell and migrainey, but atleast I got enough done that they can finish.
Unfortunately, the electricians are all either sick or on vacation, so they can't wrap up until next year, and I can't move in to my apartment before christmas like planned.

I think 'oh, at well that means I can take it easy, and wrap up the last couple of walls at a slower pace atleast.'
I wake up this morning and can barely walk, seems like I have tendonitis in one of my ankles, and I still have so much poo poo that needs doing.
Got a washing machine and drier, and almost an actual metric ton of furniture delivered tonight, but even with some help I imagine it's not going to help my foot situation.

God I'm just so tired, I was so looking forwards to rushing a bit so that I could move in and settle in properly over christmas, but now I've got to rush and faff with it next year instead, on top of everything else.
On top of it all my parents are insisting they come celebrate christmas here (Because none of the kids are visiting them this year, and they'll be bored.), to add another cherry on top of this annoying poo poo sundae.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
dropped a metal bar directly on my phone screen at work. the screen is unaffected, thanks to this screen protector kit I got, but that's not the problem.

the problem was replacing the now-cracked protector. It involves pouring a caustic chemical glue that cures under UV light on the screen using a particular method that is very braindead simple, you simply put the phone in a frame, insert a bunch of pegs to ensure the protector lands in the perfect position, pour the glue on the center of the screen, then slide the protector on and it will automatically spread the glue out to every corner, then you use the included UV light to cure the glue. great! so I did just that, and it came out perfect! I went to pop out the pegs and phone, and one of the pegs had gotten glue curing it to the phone, so when I went to detach it from the frame to remove the phone, it lifted up the entire corner of the screen protector despite my gentle pulling while holding the protector down, ruining the entire process. impotent rage followed by angrily, but carefully, removing and thoroughly cleaning the phone of all the recently-cured glue and residue, then setting it up for the final batch of protector + supplies included in the box, I get it all set up, go to pour the glue, and the tiny tube of glue slips out of my fingers right as I begin pouring and splats a bunch of the chemical everywhere. I had just barely enough to put on the screen and have it spread to the four corners with some careful guiding, but then my hand started burning from the chemicals that had gotten on it. so I set it to cure, went to wash my hands, and came back to even more carefully detach the little pegs. but even then it still left a tiny kink in the screen protector where it had connected via glue. such a pain in the rear end, but there's not been a better screen protector I've tried outside of this one, unfortunately, so I'll have to keep getting this kind because while it's a MASSIVE pain to set up, it does work incredibly well once finished. the previous protector lasted me over a year of heavy use, plenty of dropping the phone and hitting stuff did next to nothing to it until the aforementioned metal rod landing directly on it.

it wouldn't have been so bad if not for that one single peg, but man that just set me off after spending 15 minutes delicately and carefully getting everything perfectly into place only for it to all come undone in an instant and have to start over.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Those screen protectors are fantastic. I believe the "glue" is actually just a UV resin that fills in all the scratches and imperfections on your screen and makes them basically disappear; I had one ages ago. There really isn't a better one out there.

My complaint is that I replaced the extruder motor on my 3D printer at the same time that I upgraded to a new firmware (Klipper, which was a headache in itself trying to get it configured for my printer), and once I finally started it up and calibrated a bunch of stuff, the extruder was just not putting through the correct amount of material. So I'm stuck because I was planning on upgrading to a better extruder and a new mainboard at some point. Do I continue to wrestle with the stock board that's probably perfectly fine or do I go ahead and upgrade it now and have to go through the whole process of flashing the firmware and configuring the printer all over again?

This is an extremely niche nerd frustration, but I've been beating my head against it for several days.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

venus de lmao posted:

My complaint is that I replaced the extruder motor on my 3D printer at the same time that I upgraded to a new firmware (Klipper, which was a headache in itself trying to get it configured for my printer), and once I finally started it up and calibrated a bunch of stuff, the extruder was just not putting through the correct amount of material. So I'm stuck because I was planning on upgrading to a better extruder and a new mainboard at some point. Do I continue to wrestle with the stock board that's probably perfectly fine or do I go ahead and upgrade it now and have to go through the whole process of flashing the firmware and configuring the printer all over again?

Sounds like incorrect e-steps, have you calibrated that? Should just be a couple min of extruding 100mm, adjusting the e-steps, then repeating until it's nice.

If not, we do have s 3d printing thread that can help. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973815

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
My boiler has started leaking and the plumber said he'd be here today to fix it but he never turned up. Hopefully they'll come tomorrow. It's only a mild leak.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Handled a customer drop-off today at the pet crematorium. Customers greyhound was let out to pee and after taking a few steps into the Detroit winter went "Man gently caress this it's cold." and ran headfirst into the sliding glass door, breaking his own neck. He then took ten minutes to pass. I heard this story from his owner who's very clearly blaming herself for letting him outside.

Really harshing my mellow here.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Surprise new food allergy. Now, I get to wait 4 days (3 on extra allergy meds) to start testing which part of my sandwich I'm allergic to. In the meantime, mouth blisters and facial swelling every time a pill wears off.

Ingredients, for the curious: bread, cashew butter, jam (raspberry/rhubarb, so two tests there).

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

UwUnabomber posted:

Handled a customer drop-off today at the pet crematorium. Customers greyhound was let out to pee and after taking a few steps into the Detroit winter went "Man gently caress this it's cold." and ran headfirst into the sliding glass door, breaking his own neck. He then took ten minutes to pass. I heard this story from his owner who's very clearly blaming herself for letting him outside.

Really harshing my mellow here.

A co-worker had a dog die similarly to this. He was playing in the park and while chasing a frisbee ran headfirst into a tree.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

SubNat posted:

Sounds like incorrect e-steps, have you calibrated that? Should just be a couple min of extruding 100mm, adjusting the e-steps, then repeating until it's nice.

If not, we do have s 3d printing thread that can help. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973815

lol, it's a lot of things I am still trying to fine tune

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Some last minute poo poo I forgot is only available by mail order on the slow boat from China, ETA 2 weeks after Christmas.

What is this, 1994?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

Surprise new food allergy. Now, I get to wait 4 days (3 on extra allergy meds) to start testing which part of my sandwich I'm allergic to. In the meantime, mouth blisters and facial swelling every time a pill wears off.

Ingredients, for the curious: bread, cashew butter, jam (raspberry/rhubarb, so two tests there).

I'm going with wildcard: food item processed at the same place as cashew butter, not cashews

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I finally went to a doctor to try and do something about the obvious sleep apnea i've had for like a decade. Straight up waking up gasping for breath level apnea. Well, doctor needs me to take a sleep study to move forward, so okay I do an at home sleep study where I take this thing home, attach it to myself and try and sleep and then bring it back. Of course it shows that I have sever sleep apnea.

So doc puts in an order for a cpap, except the company calls me to work out the details and it's going to cost $1000 up front plus $1000 over the next year. So I put a pin in that.

Then I get a notification about my billing be updated, well the Sleep Study itself, that thing where I took a thing home and brought it back the next day, is billing for $1000 and my health insurance won't pay for it.

This is on top of several other issues that multiple doctors have been useless at working with me about because I'm overweight so of course that's the cause of all my problems. So including my up front copays, i'll have been billed about 1300 since october to learn nothing and accomplish nothing. I love US healthcare.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I'm pretty sure my roommate is sick of me and it's really frustrating and painful that people just don't like me and I don't understand why

it's either that or I am just overly sensitive and bad at reading people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

A couple months ago my best friends uninvited me for Christmas dinner. I normally go to their place on Christmas Day while my husband goes to his parents' place because I don't have family to spend the day with (my parents are not good people and my siblings are not much better). This year they told me they want to invite her father and sister over instead of me, and I'll admit that I was kinda relieved because I've felt like the vibes have been way the gently caress off between us for the better part of a year. I went to their place tonight with Christmas presents for them and their kids, and they gave me the gift they got me. I try my level best to not be materialistic but in this instance, (this is a trend with them very clearly getting a gift for me at the last minute) I got them a tarot deck designed by Winslow Dumaine that cost about €70 including shipping from the US to Ireland. The gifts I got for their kids cost a little over €100. They got me a deck of cards that cost €6 (I frequently shop at the store they got it from), with a restaurant voucher inside (no idea how much it's even for) for a chain restaurant right around the corner from the shop.

I think I'm done feeling like a hasty afterthought to them. I'd rather spend every Christmas alone now.