Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
bloody Chinese eatin' all me haggis!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
So about these financial services the UK 'exports', is there anything special about British finance knowledge or is it 100% tax dodging

e: I guess it could also be crime

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Knitting Beetles posted:

So about these financial services the UK 'exports', is there anything special about British finance knowledge or is it 100% tax dodging

Have you heard about the different ways we can launder your money through a network of tax havens based in overseas territories.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

if misery were an export then the British Empire would be once more

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/JimBethell/status/1736772936097202293
https://twitter.com/MichelleMone/status/1737034753839177995
Readers added context
Lord Bethell has previously had a government lawyer issue a witness statement that he had lost his phone in early 2021 and lost all access to SMS and WhatsApp messages prior to that date. The imessage he has posted is dated 2020.

gonadic io has issued a correction as of 13:06 on Dec 19, 2023

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

https://oec.world/en/profile/country/gbr

cars just ahead of GOOOLLLDDD

didn't know we exported so much gold. gold is also our largest import from the USA apparently. i guess we do something with it. god knows what all this data's about

Quotey has issued a correction as of 14:35 on Dec 19, 2023

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Knitting Beetles posted:

A lot of it is insurance, particularly for shipping and such. Also various kinds of wealth management and resolving legal disputes.

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 15:28 on Dec 19, 2023

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Quotey posted:

https://oec.world/en/profile/country/gbr

cars just ahead of GOOOLLLDDD

didn't know we exported so much gold. gold is also our largest import from the USA apparently. i guess we do something with it. god knows what all this data's about

we stole the entire gold reserve of Venezuela a couple years back, maybe that’s it

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

e: nm, I was wrong

Jel Shaker posted:

we stole the entire gold reserve of Venezuela a couple years back, maybe that’s it

That wouldn't explain why the imports are double of the exports.

This is a fun list though:

In 2021, United Kingdom was the world's biggest exporter of Hard Liquor ($7.74B), Antiques ($556M), Collector's Items ($394M), Scrap Nickel ($116M), and Scrap Lead ($94.6M)

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 15:48 on Dec 19, 2023

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
22.7% export of cars to USA. I am guessing this is mostly Jaguar Land Rover.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Starbucks posted:

22.7% export of cars to USA. I am guessing this is mostly Jaguar Land Rover.

also Mini BMW

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I presume gold sales is one of the things the city of london will never stop being world leaders in

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

gonadic io posted:

Readers added context
Lord Bethell has previously had a government lawyer issue a witness statement that he had lost his phone in early 2021 and lost all access to SMS and WhatsApp messages prior to that date. The imessage he has posted is dated 2020.

lmao

mone is awful but she has a poster's spirit

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
I've never had an iPhone and had to look up what iMessage was

quote:

According to a survey from Piper Sandler from Fall 2023, 87% of teenagers in America have iPhones.[85] Claims have been made that the app's use of different colors for messages using iMessage's protocol vs SMS fallback has contributed to social exclusion among some teens.[86][87] A study by car insurance company Jerry also found that "young iPhone users who make money don’t seem to date someone who is using an Android device. Some users said that they don’t even text someone who didn’t have an iPhone."

Americans are terrible

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Betjeman posted:

green bubble energy

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

I don't want to text you either

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Knitting Beetles posted:

Legacy industry from the days of Empire.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

British Museum signs £50m funding deal with BP https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67766191

Birds of a feather and all that

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Starbucks posted:

British Museum signs £50m funding deal with BP https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67766191

Birds of a feather and all that

Phasing out reliance on fossil fuels by relying on BP to stop the building falling apart

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
Cake, from Walthamstow

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

lol

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
omg it's real https://twitter.com/transportgovuk/status/1737401590808543620

Readers added context they thought people might want to know
London is not in the North of the UK - so disingenuous to label it a Network North project - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London

HS2 is funded by government borrowing. Government borrowing to fix roads has always been possible with or without the HS2 project.

gonadic io has issued a correction as of 16:52 on Dec 20, 2023

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Is it just me or have government tweets been routinely getting clowned on by reader-added context lately

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

it's because we're governed by clowns, op

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Betjeman posted:

Americans are terrible

jesus i never understood the whole bullying because you don't have an iphone thing but wtf 87%? What's going on with the american phone market?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

jesus i never understood the whole bullying because you don't have an iphone thing but wtf 87%? What's going on with the american phone market?

A culture of conspicuous consumption and of living beyond your means by way of predatory lending (phone plan)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lisa needs friendships (CELLPHONE PLAN)

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

London?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P0v8ciiifE

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Levelling Up London
Really should be levelled down

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

about time they fixed the potholes tbh. those guys up north get about on horse & wagon on dirt roads, as is my understanding

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Tesseraction posted:

it's because we're governed by clowns, op

This is being saved in my mental piggy bank for bringing up during Christmas dinner with me dad, a scouser and (formerly) proud Tory voter.

The only way to fix things is to get rid of the soft woke Tories and something something.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

kecske posted:

about time they fixed the potholes tbh. those guys up north get about on horse & wagon on dirt roads, as is my understanding
horse & wagon? pah! luxury!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

TACD posted:

horse & wagon? pah! luxury!

I hear they have, like... pit ponies there? I suppose they're like pit bulls?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
It rules that London is basically a tumor with museums

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

kecske posted:

Funnily enough, the last time a pothole was filled in London, was for a horse and wagon.
So that King Chuck wouldn't get his poor botty bounced.

And even then it was only with sand. Because gently caress you plebs.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

anyone who wands to rant and rage about 4x4 drivers should come to Northern Ireland this winter , where not only is there no money for potholes but they are not going to be able to afford to grit the roads. So basically driving anything smaller than a tractor is going to be insta-death.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

British voters remember Grande Tema, and they aren't going to put up with that ever again. Free Britain

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

smellmycheese posted:

anyone who wands to rant and rage about 4x4 drivers should come to Northern Ireland this winter , where not only is there no money for potholes but they are not going to be able to afford to grit the roads. So basically driving anything smaller than a tractor is going to be insta-death.

Good - especially for those who drive urban tanks and never move past the rural urban fringe. May their axles tear and their windshields be brittle

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

it's cool how the DUP can single-handedly destroy the government with a shitfit

guessing SF can't call for new elections on the basis of "these loving cunts" because both sides have to agree?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Vehicle weight should play a large factor in road tax