Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Yup got it and put it in the discord thanks, I had to find the be reminded of the question mark

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Dec 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The twitter url change is off to the appstore review bots.
I have tried to decoupled this from the user data change because it turned into a whole thing. It also meant upping the minimum version from 5.0 to 7.0 , which yeah I suppose is laughable but would still mean that 3 of you weirdos might miss out on changes.
Let's see if they let me send this out without doing the change anyway.

Regarding the userdata change as it turns out, the decision was quite easy

Yeah, no.

Also seems like I need to get hold of Ferg sometime next year so they don't throw us off the play store. :toot:

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Surprised awful.apk is on the free tier of firebase. I'd be interested in hearing what sort of data you're storing and usage you're seeing. I've got a game with a firebase back end that's still well within the free tier. But Awful has to have at least an order or two more magnitude users.

I've been considering trying self-hosted appwrite, just for reducing Google dependency.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Sereri posted:

The twitter url change is off to the appstore review bots.
I have tried to decoupled this from the user data change because it turned into a whole thing. It also meant upping the minimum version from 5.0 to 7.0 , which yeah I suppose is laughable but would still mean that 3 of you weirdos might miss out on changes.
Let's see if they let me send this out without doing the change anyway.

Regarding the userdata change as it turns out, the decision was quite easy

Yeah, no.

Also seems like I need to get hold of Ferg sometime next year so they don't throw us off the play store. :toot:

Thank you, seriously

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

sharknado slashfic posted:

Thank you, seriously

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

sharknado slashfic posted:

Thank you, seriously

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
Thanks, I got the update and both the Twitter and x embeds on the previous page are working now.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Aw cool, works for me too. Thanks as always for putting the effort in to updating things! :tipshat:

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

I have some problems discerning the lines between posters in the Awful.apk OLED theme. The borders separating the lines become indistinguishable. I know the point of OLED is to save juice but can we not make it so that at least there is a cyan/purple thin marker line at the end of each poster?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

I'm confused where you want to put a line

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

"Blaze" plan :okpos:

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

I'm confused where you want to put a line

I know it's not a must, however, the phenomenon I'm referring to occurs when you are skimming/sliding through the posts. The negative color palette makes a weird motion blur with the text/separator lines.

Is it possible to make it so that this green line only appears in the post in focus? Maybe via the same mechanism that enables to slide through posts? I am no way implying this is necessary, still would look nice I think.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm an OLED user and don't have that issue at all. Using a Pixel 6 fwiw

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

That sounds like a screen problem rather than a theme problem

Or potentially an eye problem

(no issues here with that theme on several generations of pixels over the years)

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Skarsnik posted:

That sounds like a screen problem rather than a theme problem

Or potentially an eye problem

(no issues here with that theme on several generations of pixels over the years)

Coming to think of it I have a very low-end locally assembled Xiaomi phone. I should try it on someone else's and see if it persists.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I'm mainly confused by the green lines in the screenshot, those should be white.

Also the screenshot is hella confusing on the OLED theme, jfc

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Helluva posted:

Coming to think of it I have a very low-end locally assembled Xiaomi phone. I should try it on someone else's and see if it persists.

I think the underlying issue may be "pixel lag" i.e. the pixels are taking a moment to completely turn on / off which causes smearing when you scroll. It's an issue that seems to vary depending on your screen, the relative brightness you have it set to and your own perception. Here's an XDA thread of people arguing about it and not really coming to any firm conclusion: https://xdaforums.com/t/lagging-black-pixels-when-scrolling-with-dim-screen.3696188/

And yeah quickly scrolling through this page on OLED theme made me think I'd changed a font setting somewhere

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Sereri posted:

I'm mainly confused by the green lines in the screenshot, those should be white.

I believe that's a mockup of the feature they're suggesting.

FIX SIGNS
Aug 29, 2006

You're fucking great,
just do what you can.
Are you going to be updating the Kindle Fire version?

If not, is there a direct, official link to the android .APK so I can sideload it without having to go to a sketchy APK site?

Thanks! :buddy:

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

astral posted:

I believe that's a mockup of the feature they're suggesting.

This. Sorry for the confusion it caused.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

how do I get the new version 😭

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

It rolls out gradually, I just got it

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I love this app so much. The only thing it needs is a feature where I pay the developer $5

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

thank you 😭 I just got it

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

smoobles posted:

I love this app so much. The only thing it needs is a feature where I pay the developer $5

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I don't know if this is what made the difference, but I clicked the link in the op to get the beta version and got the new app served a couple of hours later. I figured it was necessary because an earlier update featuring the imgur uploads requiring an account from months ago also never made it to the regular play store version.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Oh, I guess I am a beta user. I forgot I signed up for that!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Also a beta cuck here, that explains why I got the update

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Nvm working now

Uncle Wemus fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 21, 2023

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

always use the beta don't be a coward :)

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Is requiring a imgur account to upload an image a change that they require?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

crepeface posted:

Is requiring a imgur account to upload an image a change that they require?

if you don't have an account, your uploads will be deleted at some point. not a big deal if you're just sending something in a discord, but a total pain if you don't want forum threads to become a mess of broken images when people are browsing them after the fact.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Jabor posted:

if you don't have an account, your uploads will be deleted at some point. not a big deal if you're just sending something in a discord, but a total pain if you don't want forum threads to become a mess of broken images when people are browsing them after the fact.

I really don't want to give imgur my phone number.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

crepeface posted:

I really don't want to give imgur my phone number.

if you use a google account you don't need to btw. luckily I had a burner one of those already but yeah I was considering forking the app just because of that change

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

if you use a google account you don't need to btw. luckily I had a burner one of those already but yeah I was considering forking the app just because of that change

Oh, I missed that. Thanks.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

I think you also don't need one if you use Facebook but lol

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Admiral Joeslop posted:

That just tries to download it on Android.

I know the discord CDN isn't a great storage solution but people seem to love posting videos "hosted" there. Would it be possible to have them embed in the Awful app? I somehow managed to graduate from the local community college IT program, so I am actually able to solve the arcane puzzle of downloading and playing an mp4, but it does seem like an issue for some users :shrug:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

BallerBallerDillz posted:

I know the discord CDN isn't a great storage solution but people seem to love posting videos "hosted" there. Would it be possible to have them embed in the Awful app? I somehow managed to graduate from the local community college IT program, so I am actually able to solve the arcane puzzle of downloading and playing an mp4, but it does seem like an issue for some users :shrug:

Bearing in mind discord media links expire pretty quickly outside discord itself I'm not sure it's something that should be encouraged

Just call people idiots whenever they do it imo

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lol I love how hard it is to post an image on the internet in the year of our lord 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
After actually looking at the code like I should have done in the first place, maybe the existing video embed should just ignore query strings?

JavaScript code:

var videos = Array.from(replacementArea.querySelectorAll('.postcontent a')).filter(function(link) {
  return /\.(webm|gifv|mp4)(\?.*)?$/i.test(link.href);
});

Here: https://github.com/Awful/Awful.apk/blob/86d5260ea252f05731ae48b0d930a7bf0e950474/Awful.apk/src/main/assets/javascript/embedding.js#L192

Idk, I write yaml for a living