Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
People have had nearly five years to hear about asymptomatic contagiousness, realize the implications of it, and have a decisive moment on it.

No, the information we have, academically and historically and politically is not widely available now. Hardly anyone would find it even if they had the impulse to try today. But that's now. Now doesn't exist in a vacuum; everyone experienced 2021 as well. Everyone had their one moment where they looked around at half the people masking, half the people not, and made a decision. One based on grappling with what are really a lot more basic facts: "Some of these people clearly still don't want to get hurt, or to watch people get hurt, or watch people flippantly hurt each other." "Anyone could be causing the hurt, without symptoms." "Masks are thought to help, and there are different degrees of it, as shown by the people around me, and all the meanest people around me took theirs off first." Let's not forget that everyone did mask before they individually decided not to. Let's especially not forget the types of personalities around us who did soonest and started up the peer pressure first. People got here somehow. For most, for at least a moment, it was not pretty or admirable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
JN.1 just got upgraded by the WHO to be a separate variant of interest, distinct from BA.2.86. The following is the WHO risk analysis:

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/18122023_jn.1_ire_clean.pdf posted:

Executive Summary
Previously, JN.1 was tracked as part of BA.2.86, the parent lineage that is classified as a variant of interest (VOI). However, in recent weeks, JN.1 continues to be reported in multiple countries, and its prevalence has been rapidly increasing globally and now represents the vast majority of BA.2.86 descendent lineages reported to GISAID. Due to its rapidly increasing spread, WHO is classifying JN.1 as a separate variant of interest (VOI) from the parent lineage BA.2.86.

Considering the available, yet limited evidence, the additional public health risk posed by JN.1 is currently evaluated as low at the global level. It is anticipated that this variant may cause an increase in SARS-CoV-2 cases amid surge of infections of other viral and bacterial infections, especially in countries entering the winter season. Following discussions with the WHO Technical Advisory Group for Virus Evolution (TAG-VE) and considering the data at hand, current population immunity globally as well as immunity generated by XBB.1.5 booster vaccination is expected to remain cross-reactive to this variant, against symptomatic and severe disease. Therefore, the spread of this variant will unlikely increase the burden on national public health systems compared to other Omicron sublineages. However, countries approaching the winter season should be aware that, altogether, SARS-CoV-2 and co-circulating pathogens may exacerbate the respiratory disease burden.
(..)
This rapid growth
is observed across all the three WHO regions with consistent sharing of SARS-CoV-2 sequences, i.e. the region of the Americas (AMR), the Western Pacific (WPR) and the European (EUR) regions, with the largest increase seen in WPR from 1.1% in epidemiological week 44 to 65.6% in epidemiological week 48. BA.2.86.1 (JN.1’s parent lineage) replication kinetics on primary nasal epithelial cells (hNEC) have been observed to not be higher than other XBB-derived variants (2). However, it remains to be determined whether the high transmissibility of JN.1 in humans is also associated with enhanced fitness in primary hNECs and other cell types, and how much of that is linked to non-spike mutations.

(..)
* Growth advantage
Level of risk: High, as the variant is fast growing across all WHO regions with consistent SARS-CoV-2 sequence data sharing and has become the most prevalent variant in some countries.

Confidence: High, as the rapid growth has been reported by several countries in different WHO regions.

** Antibody escape
Level of risk: Moderate, as it is estimated that JN.1 has increased immune evasion relative to its parent BA.2.86.1 lineage that had a similar immune evasion as EG.5 the current most prevalent variant globally.

Confidence: Low, as there are only limited data on cross neutralization of JN.1. Additional laboratory studies from different regions of the world would be needed to further assess the risk of antibody escape in settings with different population immunity backgrounds.

*** Severity and clinical considerations
Level of risk: Low, as currently there are no reports of elevated disease severity associated with this variant.

Confidence: Low. Although, there is regular co-ordination and data sharing between all WHO Regional colleagues, countries, and partners, reporting of new hospitalizations and ICU data with the WHO has decreased substantially, therefore caution should be taken when interpreting severe cases due to this decrease in reporting. Further, additional studies would be needed to further assess the impact of this variant on clinical outcomes.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:denmark:

https://www-dr-dk.translate.goog/ny...&_x_tr_pto=wapp posted:

If you want to optimize the chances of an illness-free Christmas, bring back the corona habits
Professor estimates that 20-30 percent of all Danes are sick right now.

Sanitize your hands, exhale, cough into your sleeve and keep your distance.

Does that sound familiar?

It can almost give nervous twitches to hear the slogans of the corona pandemic again here a few years after the latest shutdown.
(..)
RS virus, cold pneumonia, whooping cough, flu and corona are all in circulation at the moment. According to Jens Lundgren, between 20 and 30 percent of Danes are currently ill this week before Christmas.
(..)
The reason why so many are infected and with so many different infections, we also have to go back to the pandemic to find. This is largely due to the corona shutdowns, explains Jens Lundgren.

- There are still a few leftovers from the two years during the pandemic, when we protected ourselves extremely much against various types of respiratory infections, thereby losing some of the normal immunity that meant they did not come as frequently and at the same time.

- This is the immunity we are building up the hard way now. I expect that next winter we will be back in the situation we saw before the pandemic, says Jens Lundgren.
(..)

Bit weird that the 1-2 year olds have twice the normal level of RSV hospitalizations for the third year in a row, but :ok: Next year then!

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Handwashing! Coughing into elbows! Keeping distance! Bloodletting! Healing crystals! Anything but masks!

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

maxwellhill posted:

People have had nearly five years to hear about asymptomatic contagiousness, realize the implications of it, and have a decisive moment on it.

No, the information we have, academically and historically and politically is not widely available now. Hardly anyone would find it even if they had the impulse to try today. But that's now. Now doesn't exist in a vacuum; everyone experienced 2021 as well. Everyone had their one moment where they looked around at half the people masking, half the people not, and made a decision. One based on grappling with what are really a lot more basic facts: "Some of these people clearly still don't want to get hurt, or to watch people get hurt, or watch people flippantly hurt each other." "Anyone could be causing the hurt, without symptoms." "Masks are thought to help, and there are different degrees of it, as shown by the people around me, and all the meanest people around me took theirs off first." Let's not forget that everyone did mask before they individually decided not to. Let's especially not forget the types of personalities around us who did soonest and started up the peer pressure first. People got here somehow. For most, for at least a moment, it was not pretty or admirable.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Pingui posted:

Bit weird that the 1-2 year olds have twice the normal level of RSV hospitalizations for the third year in a row, but :ok: Next year then!

These 2 years old are clearly suffering from the effects of a month long lockdown 3 years ago.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
One of my best employees has a condition where they really shouldn't get covid. They got placed on a psych hold by their parents, and surprise, they got covid while in the hospital. They are now going on FMLA which isn't great and I feel terrible and impotent to help.

Bonus points for "Its probably because they haven't left their apartment in 4 years because of covid" from my boss

hell world

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Pingui posted:

I don't think that is minority in this thread at all.
yeah you're probably right, it's easy to mix up the frustration and anger we all feel

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Pingui posted:

quote:

I expect that next winter we will be back in the situation we saw before the pandemic

:bighow:

Pulvis Sumus
Jul 27, 2011
Was able to get Pax from test2treat.com with a confirmation of prescription and my pharmacy of choice in <30 minutes today - highly recommend. Just in time to get a diagnosis from my rheumatologist that I have psoriatic arthritis and I will need to go on immunosuppressant biologics in short order lmao. Special thanks to y'all for being my go-to for COVID-related resources and for preparing me for this unexpected outcome - I've already been living like I'm immunocompromised for the past few years, so I feel like I've been training for this moment for a while now. Hoping the life transition will be less disruptive as a result.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
https://twitter.com/michael_hoerger/status/1737215733824733420

Over

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lol
Jesus that delta wave was a doozy

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
https://twitter.com/luckytran/status/1737201157045424363

https://twitter.com/MeetJess/status/1737217189030371719

Things must be dire out there.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Washington state's Monkeypox (Mpox) update.

pre:
Cumulative
Mpox	Total	Change
Cases	732	-1
Hosp.	21	 
pre:
Recent
Week	Cases	Change
Dec-03	1	+1
Nov-26	2	-
Nov-12	2	-
Nov-05	5	-
pre:
Older
Month		Cases
Oct 2023	16	
Sep 2023	9	
Aug 2023	1	
Jul 2023	1	
Jun 2023	2	
May 2023	-	
Apr 2023	7	
Mar 2023	6	
Feb 2023	9	
Jan 2023	15	
Dec 2022	13	
Nov 2022	19	
Oct 2022	23	
Sep 2022	134	
Aug 2022	260	
Jul 2022	190	
Jun 2022	16	
May 2022	1	
Incomplete	0	-2
WA State Mpox Dashboard

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Things must be dire out there.

There are two levels above VoI.

Omicron could grow legs, walk through the front door in Geneva, and piss on their rug, and the World Health Organization still wouldn’t call it a variant of high consequence.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
We all know this and the study has been posted, but here's an easily digestible and well sourced John Snow Project article about it:

https://twitter.com/JohnSnowProject/status/1735442240007262364
https://johnsnowproject.org/primers/covid-19-is-not-just-the-flu/

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Covid's been blowing through my household since the 4th. So far, my oldest daughter and I have both managed to dodge it, but we're not in the clear because both my wife and my mother are still positive. They were both on Pax, and symptoms returned a few days after the course ended. I'm honestly skeptical that we'll be done by Christmas. I'm so tired

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Got my moth juice today and man, my arm started burning basically as soon as the needle touched my skin and kept it up for a good hour afterwards. I dunno if it was just because I had covid 3-6 months ago, depending on who's asking. Well, I'll take a sore arm over a full evening of general malaise.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Got my moth juice today and man, my arm started burning basically as soon as the needle touched my skin and kept it up for a good hour afterwards. I dunno if it was just because I had covid 3-6 months ago, depending on who's asking. Well, I'll take a sore arm over a full evening of general malaise.

How do you new feelers feel though

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
We had our employee appreciation Christmas party thing today. Could count the number of masks on one hand, even if I was a made man in the Yakuza.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

This month my team at work did some bonding activity and I watched as two of my coworkers who had masked all day at our office, where the CO2 monitor rarely reads above 550 ppm and has a great culture of people staying home when sick, proceeded to then go maskless at a venue where the CO2 level reached 1700/1800ish and contained lots of strangers and service staff that I suspect do not get sick days. Why, COVID cautious coworkers! WHY WOULD YOU GIVE UP AT THE FINISH LINE, ah you're killing me, I want the best for you so bad.

Edit: i mean I guess I know why, it's because there was food and after that why bother but, still

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

DominoKitten posted:

This month my team at work did some bonding activity and I watched as two of my coworkers who had masked all day at our office, where the CO2 monitor rarely reads above 550 ppm and has a great culture of people staying home when sick, proceeded to then go maskless at a venue where the CO2 level reached 1700/1800ish and contained lots of strangers and service staff that I suspect do not get sick days. Why, COVID cautious coworkers! WHY WOULD YOU GIVE UP AT THE FINISH LINE, ah you're killing me, I want the best for you so bad.

Edit: i mean I guess I know why, it's because there was food and after that why bother but, still

finish line, lol

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

DominoKitten posted:

Yeah, it is pretty obvious why. They did the math and accounted for all variables, putting COVID at moderate level. At that level indoor dining is ok, though outside is preferred :eng101:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Well, that's a new one to me.
"Bilateral Vocal Cord Paralysis Requiring Long-term Tracheostomy After SARS-CoV-2 Infection"

https://publications.aap.org/pediatrics/article/doi/10.1542/peds.2023-061897/196221/Bilateral-Vocal-Cord-Paralysis-Requiring-Long-term posted:

Bilateral vocal cord paralysis can cause obstruction of glottic airflow, resulting in respiratory distress and the need for a surgical airway. We report a case of acute onset bilateral vocal cord paralysis in a healthy adolescent patient 9 days after a mild severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infection. This 15-year-old patient presented with dyspnea, tachypnea, and stridor. A fiberoptic laryngoscopy revealed bilateral vocal fold paralysis with limited vocal cord abduction causing respiratory distress. A detailed set of diagnostic test results, including blood work, imaging, and a lumbar puncture, were all negative other than her new onset diagnosis of SARS-CoV-2 infection. The patient underwent tracheostomy placement with the subsequent resolution of her symptoms. Her vocal cord function remains impaired, and the patient continues to be tracheostomy-dependent 13 months after the initial presentation. SARS-CoV-2 infection has multiple well-established neurologic complications in children. The current case suggests that vocal cord paralysis may be an additional neuropathic sequela of the virus. Vocal cord pathology should be an important consideration when constructing a differential for children presenting with voice, swallowing, or breathing complaints after SARS-CoV-2 infection.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Pingui posted:

Yeah, it is pretty obvious why. They did the math and accounted for all variables, putting COVID at moderate level. At that level indoor dining is ok, though outside is preferred :eng101:

I mean outside is preferred, but that's no reason to miss out on reheated sysco food.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
if theres one thing i love its work christmas parties with insanely dumb coworkers i hate with an incredible chance of debilitating illness

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Pingui posted:

Mask in any crowded indoor space (remove to eat/drink)

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

RBC posted:

if theres one thing i love its work christmas parties with insanely dumb coworkers i hate with an incredible chance of debilitating illness

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
oKay came across a new failure mode for vflexes

rubber bands got stretched out enough that now it doesn’t get a tight seal

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

oKay came across a new failure mode for vflexes

rubber bands got stretched out enough that now it doesn’t get a tight seal

I knot those elastic bands once in the morning and maybe again midday to make it a bit tighter, no problems so far

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Pingui posted:

Well, that's a new one to me.
"Bilateral Vocal Cord Paralysis Requiring Long-term Tracheostomy After SARS-CoV-2 Infection"

quote:

https://publications.aap.org/pediatrics/article/doi/10.1542/peds.2023-061897/196221/Bilateral-Vocal-Cord-Paralysis-Requiring-Long-term posted:
Bilateral vocal cord paralysis can cause obstruction of glottic airflow, resulting in respiratory distress and the need for a surgical airway. We report a case of acute onset bilateral vocal cord paralysis in a healthy adolescent patient 9 days after a mild severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infection. This 15-year-old patient presented with dyspnea, tachypnea, and stridor. A fiberoptic laryngoscopy revealed bilateral vocal fold paralysis with limited vocal cord abduction causing respiratory distress. A detailed set of diagnostic test results, including blood work, imaging, and a lumbar puncture, were all negative other than her new onset diagnosis of SARS-CoV-2 infection. The patient underwent tracheostomy placement with the subsequent resolution of her symptoms. Her vocal cord function remains impaired, and the patient continues to be tracheostomy-dependent 13 months after the initial presentation. SARS-CoV-2 infection has multiple well-established neurologic complications in children. The current case suggests that vocal cord paralysis may be an additional neuropathic sequela of the virus. Vocal cord pathology should be an important consideration when constructing a differential for children presenting with voice, swallowing, or breathing complaints after SARS-CoV-2 infection.

mild severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
so mild, dog

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Steely Dad posted:

mild severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)

well ok if you're gonna put it that way...

hmm

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pingui posted:

JN.1 just got upgraded by the WHO to be a separate variant of interest, distinct from BA.2.86. The following is the WHO risk analysis:
very proud of everyone's contribution to this. congratulations :coronatoot:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I had to buy a rapid test at work so I could send the right paperwork to occupational health to work even though I took a rapid that morning already but they wanted it on their form with a proof of life, and the test was at home.

It had a picture of the virus on the box and I cut it out and stuck it on my cube wall :coronatoot:
Now I realize I should hang two for how many times I've been hit.

I've want a loving medal. I work at a hospital run nominally by a government, I got the thing wandering around hospital wings collecting busted ipads. I'm serving my country! Medals with the virus on it!

:coronatoot::coronatoot:

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Wife got sick from some food yesterday so we needed to head in to the neighborhood clinic.

About half are masked, with the sickest coughiest people not masking.
Frail elderly people here for their annual checkups wearing poo poo dental masks. Rip.

In N95 we trust.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
roommate popped some stitches in their mouth where they had surgery

drove them to the hospital so the surgeon could examine it. I came along. roommate had to take off their n95 to be examined.

pro: all staff were wearing masks.

con: all of them were wearing surgical masks.

hopefully the fact that 100% of staff are masked, even if with substandard masks, is enough to keep us from getting got

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

euphronius posted:

lol
Jesus that delta wave was a doozy
it's amazing. wonder if we'll ever have another reported spike like that again

went grocery shopping with kids today, a woman in an aura complimented my kids masks, feels good man :3:

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I've not been paying much attention, what's the fashionable variant right now? Got covid again and it feels a lot worse than last time, which was a couple of years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Pingui posted:

Those lockdowns were far more damaging than we could have ever imagined. Never. Again.