Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

It’s a noir story he originally wrote in college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Finished "Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell" and "Sixth of the Dusk"

Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell:
An okay book. Some incredible plot conveniences though in happening to have the final encounter with the withered hunter be right next to the silver bolt that had been launched earlier. Plus, the tax collector is kind of a dumbass in thinking that Silence wouldn't get revenge on him after he nearly killed her daughter. I didn't see any connections at all to the rest of the Cosmere. If I was supposed to here.

Sixth of the Dusk:
I enjoyed this one more to be honest. As far as I can tell no magic in this one, but maybe some connection to Hoid/Wit's people (?) in the Ones Above in that story. Their non-interference rule against the "less developed" people certainly sounds similar to what the (presumed) companion of Wit mentioned in the chapter openers. They were also mentioned as trading "spheres" which could have been the glass gemstones infused with stormlight from the Stormlight Archive. A tight plot and character arcs that leave people changed and a looming threat that could still leave Sanderson something to come back to.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 19, 2023

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Brandon released a secret 5th book today. Ebook download is free. It looks pretty short and it's non-Cosmere. I'm only on the Forward right now.

https://www.dragonsteelbooks.com/products/long-chills-and-case-dough-hardcover-book

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Brandon released a secret 5th book today. Ebook download is free. It looks pretty short and it's non-Cosmere. I'm only on the Forward right now.

https://www.dragonsteelbooks.com/products/long-chills-and-case-dough-hardcover-book

Yeah, it only took me about 30 minutes to read.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
State of the Sanderson is out:
https://www.brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson-2023/

Lawnie posted:

It’s easy to hate on Lirin, Kal’s dad because he lives in a violent world but he’s a strict and consistent pacifist, which the world needs more of.

No he's just a coward (and even that's being generous). Refusing to act because hundreds might die if you do, while ignoring that thousands or millions could die through your inaction doesn't make you noble. It makes you self-righteous trash.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Evil Fluffy posted:

No he's just a coward (and even that's being generous). Refusing to act because hundreds might die if you do, while ignoring that thousands or millions could die through your inaction doesn't make you noble. It makes you self-righteous trash.

Some wise old guy once said: "To ignore the plight of those one might conceivably save is not wisdom - it is indolence."

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Two things that stood out to me about this:

- Horneater Novella is not next year.

- Mistborn Era three is called (Era 2 spoilers) GHOSTBLOODS and he won't start writing until Jan 2025.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Mordiceius posted:

- Mistborn Era three is called (Era 2 spoilers) GHOSTBLOODS and he won't start writing until Jan 2025.

Yeah I saw that too earlier and sorta wish I hadn't!! Brandon doesn't respect the sanctity of the first time reader experience :argh:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Nitrousoxide posted:

Finished "Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell" and "Sixth of the Dusk"

Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell:
An okay book. Some incredible plot conveniences though in happening to have the final encounter with the withered hunter be right next to the silver bolt that had been launched earlier. Plus, the tax collector is kind of a dumbass in thinking that Silence wouldn't get revenge on him after he nearly killed her daughter. I didn't see any connections at all to the rest of the Cosmere. If I was supposed to here.

Sixth of the Dusk:
I enjoyed this one more to be honest. As far as I can tell no magic in this one, but maybe some connection to Hoid/Wit's people (?) in the Ones Above in that story. Their non-interference rule against the "less developed" people certainly sounds similar to what the (presumed) companion of Wit mentioned in the chapter openers. They were also mentioned as trading "spheres" which could have been the glass gemstones infused with stormlight from the Stormlight Archive. A tight plot and character arcs that leave people changed and a looming threat that could still leave Sanderson something to come back to.

Sixth of the Dusk:
Surely the Aviar's count as magic? Right? Dusk himself isn't doing magic sure, Sak and Kokerlii are doing something! Their powers even seemed vaguely reminiscent of certain Allomantic abilities to me.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

pik_d posted:

Yeah I saw that too earlier and sorta wish I hadn't!! Brandon doesn't respect the sanctity of the first time reader experience :argh:

Reading The Lost Metal before The Stormlight Archive makes certain plot elements... very interesting.

Hence why I had multiple points in my Way of Kings posts that were "PIK_D DO NOT READ" lol

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

pik_d posted:

gently caress Moash

These words are accepted.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

pik_d posted:

Sixth of the Dusk:
Surely the Aviar's count as magic? Right? Dusk himself isn't doing magic sure, Sak and Kokerlii are doing something! Their powers even seemed vaguely reminiscent of certain Allomantic abilities to me.

I guess? They said it was just a parasite that the birds got from living on the island that allowed the ability.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

Some wise old guy once said: "To ignore the plight of those one might conceivably save is not wisdom - it is indolence."

Ah yeah guess it doesn’t matter if you harm some people in the process of saving others, thanks, trolley problem’s been solved then.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

I guess? They said it was just a parasite that the birds got from living on the island that allowed the ability.

That pool where the birds go to get their powers, it's very similar to the one in Elantris, Rock mentions one in the Horneater lands, you've even seen a smaller more condensed one in the form of a well somewhere.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The plan to write all the Mistborn 3 stuff before anything is released, meaning that there's one book at the end of this year, a White Sands rewrite in 2026, and then nothing until 2028 is a bit yikes.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Nobody ever thinks what's happening on their own world is magic. It's just biology or physics to them.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Oh, Chris Davenport is playing the bard in the bar in White Sand. I wonder who that might be hmmmmmmmm.

Edit:
Finished White Sand Vol 1, now some early White Sand Vol 2:
Wow Khrissalla is astoundingly unlikable. Charges in to his order and loudly calls him a liar and his sand mastery the work of a charlatan. Says that as an "uncivilized people" he has a life debt to her for saving him. Which, I mean, even aside from how dismissive that is to half of the planet, all her party did was give him a couple of sips of water, water which he could have easily gotten from the vines anyway. Then she demands that he drop everything to help her go overthrow her leaders on the other side of the planet.

And then her party claims that she is some political genius who should be the one handling the politics needed to save Kenton's order???? This incredibly abrasive and self-important girl?

I dunno about this series. I'm gonna give Sanderson the benefit of the doubt. But this 2 week deadline seems narratively impossible to (plausibly) pull off and Khris is just so goddamn unlikable as a lead character it's dragging it down.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 20, 2023

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

The plan to write all the Mistborn 3 stuff before anything is released, meaning that there's one book at the end of this year, a White Sands rewrite in 2026, and then nothing until 2028 is a bit yikes.

Practically it seems like he usually just writes a novella or three to fill in the big gaps.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

Nobody ever thinks what's happening on their own world is magic. It's just biology or physics to them.

There is no way Brandon Sanderson only writes 2 books in 4 years, he's about as capable of that as GRRM is capable of writing 2 books in 4 years

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Lotsa spoilers in this live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JzPGumm8oE

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

Oh, Chris Davenport is playing the bard in the bar in White Sand. I wonder who that might be hmmmmmmmm.

Edit:
Finished White Sand Vol 1, now some early White Sand Vol 2:
Wow Khrissalla is astoundingly unlikable. Charges in to his order and loudly calls him a liar and his sand mastery the work of a charlatan. Says that as an "uncivilized people" he has a life debt to her for saving him. Which, I mean, even aside from how dismissive that is to half of the planet, all her party did was give him a couple of sips of water, water which he could have easily gotten from the vines anyway. Then she demands that he drop everything to help her go overthrow her leaders on the other side of the planet.

And then her party claims that she is some political genius who should be the one handling the politics needed to save Kenton's order???? This incredibly abrasive and self-important girl?

I dunno about this series. I'm gonna give Sanderson the benefit of the doubt. But this 2 week deadline seems narratively impossible to (plausibly) pull off and Khris is just so goddamn unlikable as a lead character it's dragging it down.

Never liked White Sand, only Cosmere thing I never finished, something about all of it just feels off.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mordiceius posted:

Those two definitely stand out, but the other thing I noticed is that there are no Stormlight books on his tentative release schedule apart from SA5. The schedule goes until 2030! So no new SA books until 2031 at the earliest!

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Sanderson has always said there would be a 5+ year gap between SA1-5 and 6-10.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
As far as I remember Sanderson didn't write White Sand beyond the outline for the plot and magic system. He instead wrote an unpublished semi-related book of the same name many many years ago.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Looking forward to buying Stormlight 10 with my social security check.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
From the State of Sanderson

quote:

This one is going to be a little hard to gauge this year, as while a few things are set, a lot of others are in flux. For example, I’ll be writing Ghostbloods straight through, maybe with Elantris sequels in between, and don’t want to release any of them until they are all done.

Let’s assume they’re all 200k words, and I can do roughly 300k a year. That means I’d be writing them all of 2025, 2026, and 2027. That would put the first one probably coming out 2028, five years from now.

In the meantime, we’ll be working on some other cool things, as listed below.

December 2024: Wind and Truth

Spring 2025: Skyward Legacy One(?)

December 2025: White Sand Novel/Dark One(?)

Spring 2026: Skyward Legacy Two(?)

December 2026: Skyward Legacy Three(?)

December 2026: Horneater(?)

December 2028: TBD

December 2028: Ghostbloods 1

Summer 2029: Elantris 2

December 2029: Ghostbloods 2

Summer 2030: Elantris 3

December 2030: Ghostbloods 3
That's quite a gap in both Stormlight and the Cosmere in general.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Stop loving writing skyward Brando. Let another author pick it up bro

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

RC Cola posted:

Stop loving writing skyward Brando. Let another author pick it up bro

He's not. Janci is writing those.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Oh ok good I take it back. Brando keep doing your thing

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
So the only thing he has planned for 2024 is SA5? I'm not complaining since I have 5 billion other books ready to read but I guess I just want everything nowwwwwww

mewse
May 2, 2006

Subvisual Haze posted:

From the State of Sanderson

That's quite a gap in both Stormlight and the Cosmere in general.

I didn't really pick up on this - stormlight archive is going on hiatus til 2030+?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

mewse posted:

I didn't really pick up on this - stormlight archive is going on hiatus til 2030+?
Sounds like he wants to finish up the whole next Mistborn series before even starting on the next SA book. I wonder if he's feeling a little burned out with the setting.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Subvisual Haze posted:

Sounds like he wants to finish up the whole next Mistborn series before even starting on the next SA book. I wonder if he's feeling a little burned out with the setting.

Somebody upthread mentioned he had always planned to take a large break between books 5 and 6 but I imagine writing a 400k word behemoth does probably make you want to work on something else for a while. Just hope SA5 ties off some big things so we don't have to wait that long for resolution.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Subvisual Haze posted:

He's always planned a big gap between the two arcs, with the idea being to use that time to work on other stuff that is being neglected for the SL 1-5 focus IIRC.

Considering his idea of a break from writing was to write 4 more books, being burned out on Stormlight would probably result in him annoucing a new prequel trilogy or something.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

His writing the 4 short stories also coincided with pushing back SA5's release date a year. I'm not judging the guy, maybe real family life is demanding more of his time, maybe the muse is getting quiet, but his output has slowed a fair bit from his prime and that forward schedule is basically admitting the same.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i bet the ghostbloods stuff gets pushed forward some, it's hard to imagine him actually taking three full years to write it all without releasing any

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Subvisual Haze posted:

His writing the 4 short stories also coincided with pushing back SA5's release date a year. I'm not judging the guy, maybe real family life is demanding more of his time, maybe the muse is getting quiet, but his output has slowed a fair bit from his prime and that forward schedule is basically admitting the same.

He's also been very upfront with noting he's put lots of time into side projects like the Kickstarter and leatherback stuff, and working on scripts for his books. Feels like his output is about the same, he's just stretched thin across other things.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It seems more that RoW came out almost a year before you'd expect based on books 2 and 3 (and honestly I think taking that extra time would have been worthwhile).

Way of Kings: (August 31, 2010)
>1281 days
Words of Radiance: (March 4, 2014 )
>1351 days
Oathbringer (November 14, 2017)
>1099 days
Rhythm of war (November 17, 2020)
>1480 days
Wind And Truth ( December 6, 2024)

mewse
May 2, 2006

The secret projects were a result of covid lockdowns and sadly I don't think they'll be repeated. I just feel a bit of whiplash going from getting a new ebook every 3 months to seeing a planned 4 year break between stormlight 5 and his next released book.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've avoided this thread since the Secret Novels were first coming out as I was afraid of spoilers, but then I found not a one intrigued me except for Frugal Wizard. I've been having a hard time getting interested in reading in general though lately. So I would kinda prefer he just sticks to writing... everything he already knows he wants to write for the Cosmere. Supremely excited to see the book title / release date announcement of Stormlight 5 though :hellyeah:

And I am excited to see how Songs of the Dead is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

DarkHorse posted:

I know Brandon wanted the first letters of the book titles to form a ketek but "The Knights of Wind and Truth" felt clunky besides the obvious problems of the sounds not working right either, it seems like he decided to simplify it and give up on that.

There's also no reason the in-universe book couldn't be The Knights of Wind and Truth