Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
You also have some of those exposed instances providing URLs back to private trackers, so at least some of those bastards got banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
pwn

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

If you saw an intranet news story with the title "Don't get pwned this holiday season", then we work at the same place.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Gonna play around this winter break with an i3-8109U NUC box for the TV as the only remaining Amazon device in the house is the FireCube on the main TV which I want to eventually replace. If I end up hating it I'll buy an Nvidia Shield or something.

The only things it needs to run are the Plex client (server is on another machine), Amazon Video and Youtube, preferably SmartTube or some similar adblocking youtube client. I was considering LibreElec or CoreElec, or potentially Win10 in tablet mode.

Anyone roll their own streaming HTPC these days that has any insight on it, particularly for best Plex experience? Just not sure which OS etc would be less fussy.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

That Works posted:

Gonna play around this winter break with an i3-8109U NUC box for the TV as the only remaining Amazon device in the house is the FireCube on the main TV which I want to eventually replace. If I end up hating it I'll buy an Nvidia Shield or something.

The only things it needs to run are the Plex client (server is on another machine), Amazon Video and Youtube, preferably SmartTube or some similar adblocking youtube client. I was considering LibreElec or CoreElec, or potentially Win10 in tablet mode.

Anyone roll their own streaming HTPC these days that has any insight on it, particularly for best Plex experience? Just not sure which OS etc would be less fussy.

Apple TV with YouTube premium

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

kri kri posted:

Apple TV with YouTube premium

Thanks, but that’s not what I was asking .

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

That Works posted:

I wonder if LibreElec can run a Plex client...

e: looks like it can, there's a Kodi plugin. Let us know how it goes, OP! We might all be sniffing down this alley in the next few years.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I used to use the Kodi/Plex plugin when I had a Shield, and it worked reasonably well… only shortcoming I found was that there was a bit of an update lag for play history and playback location if you switch from one device to another.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

M_Gargantua posted:

I'll try the Roku 4k stick then. Fingers crossed it'll be minimally bloated.

Just to follow up, ended up returning it. Roku's bloat is awful and you can't even use them without giving them a credit card number, even if you don't want to use any of the premium streaming services they offer. CCwGTV was objectively better by every metric even if it still wasn't quite what I wanted.

Next will be an attempt at Kodi/Jellyfin through an Orange Pi 5+. I'll ask in the HTPC thread too but does anyone know if there is a build image for RK3588? LibreELEC currently only lists the OrangePi RK3399. Suspecting i'll have to compile my own?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

cruft posted:

I wonder if LibreElec can run a Plex client...

e: looks like it can, there's a Kodi plugin. Let us know how it goes, OP! We might all be sniffing down this alley in the next few years.

Will do, checking this out since i have the hardware laying around and expecting that fire cube to be a problem in the future.

Just curious which of the diff OS choices might have problems that anyone knew of already for Plex use in particular.

M_Gargantua posted:

Next will be an attempt at Kodi/Jellyfin through an Orange Pi 5+. I'll ask in the HTPC thread too but does anyone know if there is a build image for RK3588? LibreELEC currently only lists the OrangePi RK3399. Suspecting i'll have to compile my own?

Theres an HTPC thread?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

That Works posted:

Theres an HTPC thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2386006

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I brought my chrome cast dongle on my trip and forgot how dogshit slow the ui. Guess I’ll just pack the Apple TV next trip.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

Just to follow up, ended up returning it. Roku's bloat is awful and you can't even use them without giving them a credit card number, even if you don't want to use any of the premium streaming services they offer. CCwGTV was objectively better by every metric even if it still wasn't quite what I wanted.

https://my.roku.com/signup/nocc

You can disable all of the junk from their main menu in the settings, leaving a right-hand ad and their newer tiny lower-left corner one.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Ahh it wasn't even letting me get to those menus without giving it a card. Glad you have that backup sign up handy though.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

That Works posted:

I don't use one anymore but I used Kodi with the Plex plugin with LibreElec. I used this Flirc USB and it worked pretty well. I didn't use any other services though. Just Kodi/Plex.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Burden posted:

I don't use one anymore but I used Kodi with the Plex plugin with LibreElec. I used this Flirc USB and it worked pretty well. I didn't use any other services though. Just Kodi/Plex.

Thanks

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Did something gently caress up with Plex and the XBone again? I had consistent streaming working over a WiFi 6 backhaul, minimal load on the server, etc, and then last night the logs showed persistent errors about not being able to find a profile for XBox / 10.something. Turning off Direct Play on the client made it go from unwatchable to just buffering every 30sec, without noticeable load difference on the server.

I’ve given up for the night and resorted to putting this week’s hit titles on a 128GB micro SD card and a USB adapter.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Warbird posted:

Saw this pop up and I don't think I've seen it discussed before: https://github.com/jorenn92/Maintainerr

"Looks and smells like Overseerr, does the opposite. Maintenance tool for the Plex ecosystem"

Looks like it can automate some of the more annoying part of dealing with users.

People delete media?!??!!

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
I'm sorry if this is a reoccurring question but OP has no mention of it and I'm not sure of what other megathread is more appropriate.

Any good resources on overseer+plex+radarr+sonarr vs jellyfin+jellyseer+radarr+sonarr?

I know the main ones are the lack of transcoding in the free version of Plex, and I'm guessing jellyfin doesn't connect to your streaming services or anything (though the end goal is to completely cut subs and rely on sharing services).

I'm looking to setup a media server mainly as a way to learn about self hosting tech (docker, NAS etc) while also ending up with something useful at the end (partner and friends prob aren't particularly interested in me spinning up elasticsearch).

Jellyfin, being OSS is appealing but Plex seems more mature, and I have zero clue about how well jellyseer (fork of overseer for jellyfin) works.

If jellyfin vs plex is a dead horse that's well-beaten here let me know but I'd love any links to other megathread or docs that are a good intro to the topic to compare requirements and pros/cons.

I'd be looking to buy either a refurb HTPC or a dedicated NAS to set this up.

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 26, 2023

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Just Try It seems like the consensus. All the tools work well for varying reasons best discovered by testing yourself. Docker Compose makes it super easy to roll your own combo however times it takes to find the sweet spot.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Yeah as long as you get the arrs doing their job and your libraries are setup well you can just run both side by side until you're set on one or the other afaik.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Do you have a machine you could start running things off of now? A NAS or a spare PC can be a big expense. I'd say start small with just Plex on a machine you already own. Get it up and running. Then slowly add another service one at a time. Once you're sure this is something you want to pursue then I'd start looking at dedicated hardware.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
The Arrs are very easy to setup on Windows too. Just in case Docker is overwhelming for some.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

docker is goofy as gently caress

Basically a hard enforcement of “it works on my machine, so you’re gonna have to replicate the state of my machine to make this single app work.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Chillmatic posted:

docker is goofy as gently caress

Basically a hard enforcement of “it works on my machine, so you’re gonna have to replicate the state of my machine to make this single app work.

That's why it's the default low release quality method of distribution these days. It's light enough that it's fine-ish, but yeah......those of us who grew up maintaining unix boxen with year plus uptimes kinda laugh at this.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

:rolleyes: yeah whatever, it works fine for me on my boxen with years of uptime but please do help the conversation with some more empty dickwaving

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Docker is like the opposite of goofy. Haven’t janitored my plex docker for years and years.

Windows however

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

docker sucks and if you disagree then put ur dumb opinions into a container full of people who care

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
You’re not wrong, docker itself sucks, containers are good though. IDK why we need to get all aggressive about it either way.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I mean it's not like docker is the primary target for any of this software, you can absolutely run it without docker. I'm sure it cuts down a lot on the support load for OSS projects though to a degree.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

It isn’t a huge deal but it does get annoying when stuff is made or distributed with assumptions like that

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

kri kri posted:

Docker is like the opposite of goofy. Haven’t janitored my plex docker for years and years.

Windows however

I mean, Windows is purpose built to find ways to frustrate you regardless of the complexity of the task. I have all my stuff in regular installs on macOS and I can’t remember the last time I had issues. Completely survived a rebuild from Time Machine too, which was kinda unexpected and awesome.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
If you’re on Windows, containers absolutely loving suck, so I get that hate. Docker Desktop is the worst.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I guess if you only have a gaming PC and also want to stream to your TV then Windows kinda makes sense, definitely the worst option though.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I currently run my Plex server off my gaming PC in my own home (definitely going for an overbuilt NAS soon) but for my family it’s a mini-desktop that triples as a Windows PC for them, SSH gateway for me to admin their stuff, and Plex server for a nearby cheap NAS. Streaming to the XBox One has usually been the issue but that doubles as a Bluray player.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
I run on a Windows server because I know Windows; so it's straightforward for me to maintain and run other stuff on it (MakeMkv for instance) :shrug:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Windows works for me, and I don't really care what anyone else runs their Plex setup on.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

teagone posted:

Windows works for me, and I don't really care what anyone else runs their Plex setup on.

I run Linux from a RAM disk on a Raspberry Pi with gobs of containers, and I also don't care what anyone else runs their Plex setup on.

You use what you're comfortable with, and if anybody gives you a hard time, just PM me about it and I'll yell at them publicly.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

Oysters Autobio posted:

I'm sorry if this is a reoccurring question but OP has no mention of it and I'm not sure of what other megathread is more appropriate.

Any good resources on overseer+plex+radarr+sonarr vs jellyfin+jellyseer+radarr+sonarr?

I know the main ones are the lack of transcoding in the free version of Plex, and I'm guessing jellyfin doesn't connect to your streaming services or anything (though the end goal is to completely cut subs and rely on sharing services).

I'm looking to setup a media server mainly as a way to learn about self hosting tech (docker, NAS etc) while also ending up with something useful at the end (partner and friends prob aren't particularly interested in me spinning up elasticsearch).

Jellyfin, being OSS is appealing but Plex seems more mature, and I have zero clue about how well jellyseer (fork of overseer for jellyfin) works.

If jellyfin vs plex is a dead horse that's well-beaten here let me know but I'd love any links to other megathread or docs that are a good intro to the topic to compare requirements and pros/cons.

I'd be looking to buy either a refurb HTPC or a dedicated NAS to set this up.

Checkout the TRaSH guides for setup. It points out a lot of setup related pitfalls, which seems to get close to answering the primary question. I don't think there's a consolidated feature-tour for the whole stack though, so to figure out full capabilities you'll have to play around.

When I started running Plex it was off my gaming desktop like others. Eventually I needed more disk capacity so I got a NAS and tried hosting Plex off that with my Xbox 360 for playback. I didn't know no better. Eventually I moved Plex over to a spare Windows laptop. I learned all about Transcoding but more importantly I learned about clients differing capabilities and that the best viewing experience was provided by Direct Play. That I should put all my effort into making transcoding as rare as possible by configuring Plex to not downgrade content and making sure my content was in formats easily played by my clients, both remote and local.

Docker is terrible on Windows. It was a resource hog and the arrs would absolutely drag rear end doing anything (and yes, I had my pathing setup properly in the arrs so the import was a file-move not a more expensive file-copy) but the ability to drop a docker-compose.yml on a machine and spin up my whole stack with a "docker compose up -d" is too much of a draw for me to ignore.

I bought a dell optiplex off ebay at the recommendation of this thread, installed Linux, docker copied my data over, spun it up and for the most part everything worked perfectly. The only problems I had that weren't my own setup changes was in transitioning Plex from Windows to Linux there are no clear instructions on how to translate Plex registry settings to Preferences.xml nodes, but a little experimentation will get you there.

I wouldn't go back to Windows on the server at this point because whenever I'm in the server dashboard, the system resource consumption is so much lower. I wouldn't go back to manual installation of this at this point because it's so time consuming in comparison. I had to take my path to get here though with a bunch of different things motivating decisions at each step.

The only thing I would recommend strongly is this: Buy a Dell Optiplex or something equivalent off eBay for your server if you're planning on buying some hardware for this purpose. Inexpensive, Intel QuickSync enabled, small form factor, comes with Windows if you want it. Not a lot of room for drive expansion though, so if you require the server to also be a drive host it's probably not the right fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Dr. Poz posted:

Not a lot of room for drive expansion though, so if you require the server to also be a drive host it's probably not the right fit.

A USB 3 DAS will be able to serve up files to, like, a whole bunch of streams at once. Like, at least 6. Possibly more like 60 or 600: I'm not feeling like doing arithmetic today.

My point is there's an upgrade path if you decide your Plex server needs a Brazilian Jiggabytes.