Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I would say that they'd probably have magic/psychic poo poo more than the Ad Mech since part of being Heretek is that they indulge in that kinda stuff right but then with 10th they've made a lot of factions that previously had a lot of psychic poo poo have way less of it, only the Thousand Sons, Grey Knights and Eldar kinda kept a semblance of it (edit: apparently the grey knights barely have any reading some complaints), the rest it's like one unit gets psychic stuff that's more than just a differently named gun (I'm looking sadly at the GSC Magus and Patriarch here).

As some of the discussion has said in the last couple pages, there's so many factions that a lot of them are very similar so a Dark Mechanicus army would be stepping on some toes but I'd think they'd be elite Ad Mech dudes backed up by either daemon engines or hordes of genetically engineered and tech enhanced goons/cultists, could have some weird stuff they've recovered/recreated from the dark ages as well, like full AI or biologically weaponised life forms or something. Again though that's all stuff other armies already have in some form or another, hell, the regular Ad Mech feel like that, in the lore they're supposed to be a relatively elite gunline army with cool tech stuff being the big guns but because of the way they're costed, both points and in actual money, they're almost a horde army unless you wanna spend like £30 quid 18 times on the chicken walker things or something like that.

Visually though, I think differentiating them would be pretty easy, you make them look all techno organic montrosity, like the Ad Mech, Tyranid, Skaven and Chaos Daemons got smashed together, tentacles and robot arms, glowing fusion reactors poking out of flesh, burning them out but keeping the corpse moving, all that kinda stuff. The leaders could be even less human than the Ad Mech leaders are, just heads in jars built onto little propellers or installed on tank treads or attached onto Chaos monsters.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It'll be Daemon engines out the wazoo obviously.

So in the rules they can use all of the CSM ones as vehicles.

...You expected new ones? Don't be silly, you'd get maybe a character and possibly an expansion sprue and nothing more.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

I would say that they'd probably have magic/psychic poo poo more than the Ad Mech since part of being Heretek is that they indulge in that kinda stuff right but then with 10th they've made a lot of factions that previously had a lot of psychic poo poo have way less of it, only the Thousand Sons, Grey Knights and Eldar kinda kept a semblance of it, the rest it's like one unit gets psychic stuff that's more than just a differently named gun (I'm looking sadly at the GSC Magus and Patriarch here).

As some of the discussion has said in the last couple pages, there's so many factions that a lot of them are very similar so a Dark Mechanicus army would be stepping on some toes but I'd think they'd be elite Ad Mech dudes backed up by either daemon engines or hordes of genetically engineered and tech enhanced goons/cultists, could have some weird stuff they've recovered/recreated from the dark ages as well, like full AI or biologically weaponised life forms or something. Again though that's all stuff other armies already have in some form or another, hell, the regular Ad Mech feel like that, in the lore they're supposed to be a relatively elite gunline army with cool tech stuff being the big guns but because of the way they're costed, both points and in actual money, they're almost a horde army unless you wanna spend like £30 quid 18 times on the chicken walker things or something like that.

Visually though, I think differentiating them would be pretty easy, you make them look all techno organic montrosity, like the Ad Mech, Tyranid, Skaven and Chaos Daemons got smashed together, tentacles and robot arms, glowing fusion reactors poking out of flesh, burning them out but keeping the corpse moving, all that kinda stuff. The leaders could be even less human than the Ad Mech leaders are, just heads in jars built onto little propellers or installed on tank treads or attached onto Chaos monsters.

I honestly really like the lore that Heretek guys can go around the imperium with semi impunity because the admech already look so messed up, inhuman, and monstrous that your average citizen won't know the difference unless they're wearing chaos runes that hurt to look at.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

poop chute posted:

How do you differentiate Badmech from Admech, mechanically? Or visually, even?

Badmech would be stuff like the Venomcrawler. A unholy fusion of demon, flesh, and machine.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Another flavor of Dark Mechanicus could be similar to these fellas from Blackstone Fortress

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Two Beans posted:

Another flavor of Dark Mechanicus could be similar to these fellas from Blackstone Fortress

Ah yes, noble electro priests of the omnissiah.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Sharkopath posted:

Ah yes, noble electro priests of the omnissiah.

Ahem, "Negavolt Cultists"

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Infernal Household Chaos Knights are already explicitly Dark Mechanicum; maybe the Chaos Knight army will be expanded on to include some regular units for a full Badmech army

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I don't know the lore well enough to be able to speculate, but would DarkMech still be under the prohibition for innovation and invention? That could be another interesting way to differentiate them.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

rantmo posted:

I don't know the lore well enough to be able to speculate, but would DarkMech still be under the prohibition for innovation and invention? That could be another interesting way to differentiate them.

I imagine not, and they'd have their new god/demon-dude anyway.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

rantmo posted:

Definitely not, thats what started the schism in the first place. Horus promised the True Mechanicum access to forbidden tech and freedom to innovate

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Speaking as a Chaos Knights collector, what I think GW should do is bring in Dark Mechanicum, and roll Chaos Knights into DM and Imperial Knights into AdMech as subfactions. It nearly solves the how do you play a 500 point Knights game, and gives AdMech some giant robots finally.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Super Waffle posted:

Definitely not, thats what started the schism in the first place. Horus promised the True Mechanicum access to forbidden tech and freedom to innovate

Well that and the underlying religious rift of "The Emperor is The Omnisiah" vs "No he loving isn't"

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Isn't the Omnissiah a c'tan bound in the core of Mars or something

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Isn't the Omnissiah a c'tan bound in the core of Mars or something

No, that's the Dragon Of Mars, which Big E defeated/bound

(maybe)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I think they've retconned that whole thing with the Void Dragon after Andy Chambers left GW, since that was his whole idea and the notion that the Necrons were behind a lot of things in the setting.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I wondered what happened with the Void Dragon lore. It was a big deal for a while but I never understood the full implications one way or the other.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Come for the daemon engineering and innovation, stay for the horse skull hats.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

AdMech are in an interesting place, as the only religious faction where the lore is ambivalent about the existence of their deity. Say what you like about Big E being a god or not, it’s confirmed he’s right there sitting on that chair.

I don’t necessarily think this is a negative, but it is interesting given how explicit they are about most other stuff.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
at least the darkmech probably use the internet

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That's because they got kicked out of the noosphere by the AdMech, so they made their own. With blackjack, and hookers.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Cooked Auto posted:

That's because they got kicked out of the noosphere by the AdMech, so they made their own. With blackjack, and hookers.

The dork web

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Athas posted:

It seems that ruins are important to balanced games (because they block LoS), but I don't really like the aesthetics of always fighting in urban areas. I'd much rather use trees - and also I have more of those. Can anyone think of a problem with treating densely wooded areas as if they were ruins?

As long as you have a method to define the edges of your forest and of course discuss with your opponent beforehand, all should be good.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

DarkMech transports are Cybertrucks, they can't actually transport any units but the tank shock for free and automatically trigger Deadly Demise.

Actually that sounds rad.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

They can transport as many models as you can squeeze in the back obviously.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The darkest web

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

It's also pretty funny that the AdMech believe in a version of the Trinity.

The Father (the Machine God), the Son (the Omnissiah, aka The Emperor), and the Holy Ghost (the Motive Force)

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 20, 2023

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Athas posted:

It seems that ruins are important to balanced games (because they block LoS), but I don't really like the aesthetics of always fighting in urban areas. I'd much rather use trees - and also I have more of those. Can anyone think of a problem with treating densely wooded areas as if they were ruins?

Broadly, it's fine for friendly games.

When getting more seriously competitive, it does change the game. A lack of obstructing terrain inside tree-ruins would favor ranged-heavy armies and armies with greater numbers of non-infantry units. Vehicles and monsters would be able to move straight through ruins, rather than around them. Likewise, large models would be able to stand in tree-ruins much more easily, making it easier for them to take cover and harder to flank. Melee infantry that wishes to hide from shooting would need to stand behind ruins rather than inside them, necessitating less aggressive positioning. Similarly, there would be no place safe from short-ranged shooting from the front, since a position behind a ruin-forest can be threatened by a unit that moves into the forest (as opposed to a unit in a ruin behind a wall, which cannot). A long-ranged unit can stage safely behind a tree-ruin then step into it to attack, with cover from all directions but a very broad field of fire (going both ways!).

You can prevent this by making the trees actual blockers rather than decoration, but that can pose challenges. Tree limbs often make it difficult to tell where, exactly, you mean to block, and generally block more space to model placement than vision (which is the opposite of how you'd expect a forest to work).

Unless you're willing to invest in clearly-delineated forest-themed blocking terrain, the greater freedom for hull/monster skew and reduced protection for aggressive infantry positioning will all change the game, compared to playing on GW- or WTC-style terrain. Up to you if that difference is for the better.

Two Beans posted:

these guys are just arcoflagellants with a tailwind

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 20, 2023

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
30k has been starting to work in dark mech lately. Right now they're just represented by some pdf rules with a few old FW demon engines: the brass scorpion, kytan, decimator, and blood slaughterer. They have different rules from standard automata and there's an additional type of techno-magic to buff them. I'm sure it'll get expanded in the future, but there's some fun stuff there.

However, Book IX - Crusade which came out in 2020 was obviously meant to heavily feature dark mech. There were rumors about them leading up to the book's release that sadly didn't pan out. The lore section of that book was fully intact, but the rules section was about 100 pages lighter than the other 30k campaign books. It was about the Thramas Crusade - Dark Angels vs. Night Lords with solar auxilia, militia, mechanicum, and dark mechanicum all playing supporting roles. Only the DA and NL got rules though there was some other content in there like a campaign system and new missions or generic units. The dark mechanicum in particular had a very strong presence throughout the campaign lore and their absence in the rules was definitely felt. There were new named types of automata and there was even a named character, the Witch of Thramas, that was obviously meant to be in the game. She featured a lot. Ruled over a predatory forge moon called Ulan Huda that flew through the void feeding on planets on the edge of the galaxy. She tangled with the Lion, got wrecked, and escaped by splitting her body at the waist, scampering off, and dropping her damaged moon into the warp.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

CottonWolf posted:

Speaking as a Chaos Knights collector, what I think GW should do is bring in Dark Mechanicum, and roll Chaos Knights into DM and Imperial Knights into AdMech as subfactions. It nearly solves the how do you play a 500 point Knights game, and gives AdMech some giant robots finally.

continually on my "this is how admech *worked in 7th edition and I'll never not be annoyed they changed everything in 8th" hill

*I mean technically the combined admech list was essentially a formation that used three at the time separate armies but STILL

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Athas posted:

As long as everything is understood and transparent, it doesn't matter. The only problem is trying to place units and plunging fire.

What you could do is model some craggy outcrops, cliffs, etc. that have a substantial wooded element to them. It'd make the board look more interesting and work with the theme.

I'm not a huge fan of the 40k gothic cottage aesthetic either, but there are a lot of ways you can get decent terrain without it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I've got some extra copies of some models I want to sell, what's the best place to do that? just ebay or is there a better place? Some are New-In-Box and some are just sprues

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I've got some extra copies of some models I want to sell, what's the best place to do that? just ebay or is there a better place? Some are New-In-Box and some are just sprues

If you're on Fakesbook you can unload a lot of unused hams through their marketplace.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I've been doing that with no hits so I wasn't sure if there was some place else

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

There is also ebay, but that is also a massive crapshoot.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Whachu got?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

r/miniswap on reddit can be decent if you are in the US, UK, or canada.

your state/country/region probably has at least three facebook groups for selling stuff, the useless and bad public one, the useful private one that covers like 500 mile distances, and the useful private one that's very slow but used exclusively by people in your city.

ask the locals, there might be club FB/discord/whatsapp/telegram groups

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Do you live in a location that has conventions in which Frontline Gaming might be a vendor? They purchase and sell used models. It is actually quite a site, to see their used model area at a convention. Boxes and boxes of unrealized dreams. Some are pretty good. If they are rolling through town you could probably sell in person, but I know you can also get a quote and mail the stuff to them and sell it that way. The drawback is that is is probably the least profitable, but the highlight is that it has the least risk and probably most easy way to do things.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
DarkMech have their own Chaos God who got his own miniature last edition and he's kind of a useless* appendix in the CSM book. If they do branch him out into his own army they would probably borrow all the Daemon Engines since they're all made in his name after all.

*Not actually that useless he's a better beat stick than a Daemon Prince.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cessna posted:

Whachu got?

Ossiarch Bonereapers - Gothizzar Harvester - Sprue
Necrons - Necron Royal Court - Sprue
(later this month) Necrons - Illuminator Szeras - sprue
Votann - Grimnyr - sealed
Votann - Einhyr Champion - sprue

Cease to Hope posted:

r/miniswap on reddit can be decent if you are in the US, UK, or canada.

your state/country/region probably has at least three facebook groups for selling stuff, the useless and bad public one, the useful private one that covers like 500 mile distances, and the useful private one that's very slow but used exclusively by people in your city.

ask the locals, there might be club FB/discord/whatsapp/telegram groups

Yeah i've sold stuff on FB before it's just Maine is the middle of nowhere so it's hard to find people, I'll try mini swap

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Do you live in a location that has conventions in which Frontline Gaming might be a vendor? They purchase and sell used models. It is actually quite a site, to see their used model area at a convention. Boxes and boxes of unrealized dreams. Some are pretty good. If they are rolling through town you could probably sell in person, but I know you can also get a quote and mail the stuff to them and sell it that way. The drawback is that is is probably the least profitable, but the highlight is that it has the least risk and probably most easy way to do things.

I don't think so?

Anyways not tryin to make a lot of profit or whatever, these are just dupes I literally don't need any more of.