Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Aloof doesn't stop you parleying right? Makes vamp useful for sniping cultists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It’s always fun to see new cards that are best for Calvin.

Vamp is bizarrely flexible, if you’re doing a lot of parlays and have your nice clothes, being able to do a 1 one is aces.

I’m curious about the XP parleys, if they’ll be straight plus stat upgrades or weird variations or what.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Inadequately posted:

Fresh new spoilers:

Vamp is a potentially interesting one. Being able to drop a tough fight/evade test to a Parley (3) is handy and can shut down quite a few of the Rogue unique weaknesses, and the sheer versatility of it means you'll usually be able to find at least some use for it. It is, admittedly, a little funny to think about how exactly it works flavor-wise. You seduce the enemy through a display of raw physical might so impressive it deals them actual damage?

Not as impressed with Providential, 2xp for a one-time conditional Bless booster is a tough call, though maybe Survivors could spare the XP since they don't have much else to spend it on.

I think flavor wise the test represents what you do to the enemy after you've seduced them, which has its own fun implication that the seduction always works.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Looking at the cited quotes on Wiktionary, it seems like "vamp" meaning "seduce" is the meaning most likely to be era-appropriate, but "vamp" meaning "improvise" (especially musically) is older and definitely what I thought of, given that there's a microphone in the art.

Despite the evidence, I've decided that in my head it means "musically improvise" and I assume that you either: sing so beautifully that you convince a cultist to briefly give up their evil ways, trick a monster to give you intel by singing a call-and-response song, sing so badly that the monster decides to leave, or damage a monster with breakdance fighting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWyoS8fppB0

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

You beatbox threateningly.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
It's clearly a dance-off that gets out of hand.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

My wife, a friend of ours, and I are trying to get back into the game after not having played for a long time. I asked them what Investigators looked interesting to them, and I got the following responses:

Wife - Vincent Lee, Amina Zidane
Friend - Akachi Onyele, Father Mateo

I thought it would probably not be a good idea to double up on the same class, so I'll be building decks for Akachi and Vincent. Since I am terrible at evaluating cards and haven't played in a long time (or really very much at all), I've decided to hit up good ol' Arkham DB for some help with the deck lists. I have a few questions for the thread: 1) Is the Akachi list linked below well put together? 2) What should I look for in a Vincent Lee deck? (These are the decks that show up with the packs in my collection.) 3) What investigator might complement these two? I really like Stella, but I'm not confident I'd be able to pilot her well.

Akachi Onyele
Stella Clark

Packs available: Revised Core, all Investigator Expansions released in the new format, the five standalone investigator decks, all book cards with the exception of To Fight the Black Wind, and five parallel investigators (Read or Die, All or Nothing, Bad Blood, By the Book, and Red Tide Rising).

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
That Akachi deck looks fine as a pure fighter, Vincent is more of a support character who is going to be spending time healing and buffing so you probably want a dedicated cluever of some kind, maybe someone with a bit of flexibility like Finn (if you have them, I'm not totally sure) or Trish. Stella gets worse in higher player counts as she can have trouble actual *doing* stuff, since her strengths are being flexible, not dying and mitigating failing. She's not a bad choice tho.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

A lot of the survivor clue acceleration came out with Scarlet Keys. Vincent can get a lot of clues, but he wants to flex and do damage every so often. Building a Stella deck about difficulty reduction + the level three keyring could be super effective in trio.

Joe Diamond is an unexpected choice. He can flex for fighting but can go clue mode. When going above two players, it’s almost always a good plan to get access to the archaic glyphs.

On the downside, his signature item is one of the lamest in the game, to the point where I always use the custom someone made. (His new signature is a skill card that draws card or does damage, and his weakness is a sudden betrayal that goes in his hunch deck.)

Let us know how it goes.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
They'd have Finn but not Trish if they have all the releases so far in the new format, Dream Eaters and Innsmouth haven't come out in the new format yet. I was gonna be like "oh you gotta put Spectral Razor in that Akachi deck, it's just so good and she's on the card" and then remembered which expansion it was from.

That Akachi deck looks like a generalist to me with Rite of Seeking in it, reading the write up it sounds reasonably well thought out if you want to lay out that upgrade path to your buddy or suggest them. I can't really tell if it'd still work if they didn't get similar sorts of upgrades to that guide though? It might very well do but hard to say. Personally I find with folks who are less familiar with these kinds of games, which it sounds like your group isn't but they might be out of practice so a similar situation, more defined "this character is a fighter and this one gets clues" works better than having flexible ones but that might just be my player group.

Vincent can be a cluever or a supporty type or both at once. Anything that lets him split his healing out between multiple investigators/their ally card so he can give out multiple of his unique card with a single action is pretty good so stuff like hallowed mirror can be very nice. Don't want to go too overboard on healing and support though cause you still need to advance the game of course so finding the balance there is the thing. Give him a magnifying glass, dr milan or another book boost of some kind, some deductions and he can still be a good clue grabber and then spend an action here or there healing when it's needed. Anyone getting physical trauma makes it so he can start healing them straight away so if you want some extra xp to start the campaign with, take in the thick of it on someone/everyone if they feel comfortable with it and get that trauma early and then use that boost to avoid getting any more.

I think with the proposed deck you have for Stella and Akachi, you might have trouble with big bosses or chunky enemies depending on which campaign you end up doing, I guess Akachi has enough to be getting on with early but it could be dicey if she just doesn't draw the damage dealing stuff, if you're relying on her to be the main fighter I'd probably put the damage spell from the Jacqueline starter pack instead of rite of seeking personally. Or vice versa, make the Stella deck more of a fighter and forego some of the clue stuff she has or a few of those skills, that's probably less good than the alternative though.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I was looking at this Vincent list, though the singular comment on it mentions that the deck leans a little too hard on recurring On the Mend and not enough on gathering clues. Any suggestions for modifying it to do so? I imagine I would have to make some cuts to fit in at least Deduction (like the comment suggested) and Archaic Glyphs/Hallowed Mirror. For Stella, since we're not using the Taboo list, should I cut something for Drawing Thin?

E:

Might go with this Stella deck and replace Scrounge for Supplies, since I don't have it, with something else.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 20, 2023

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Batterypowered7 posted:

I thought it would probably not be a good idea to double up on the same class, so I'll be building decks for Akachi and Vincent. Since I am terrible at evaluating cards and haven't played in a long time (or really very much at all), I've decided to hit up good ol' Arkham DB for some help with the deck lists. I have a few questions for the thread: 1) Is the Akachi list linked below well put together?

Akachi Onyele

I can highly recommend this deck, it's very fun and very strong. You feel like you c an do a lot, and very well. There's a small argument for either changing Ally, if you can afford the loss of card draw, or Charisma to add another. I find health soak can be a bit of a weakness, but you're an offensive powerhouse, both damage and clues.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I am actually playing that Akachi deck right now and having a great time. Sometimes I do run into situations where I can run damage or clues but not both due to draw/card find constraints. I’m just getting to the point in the upgrade path where I’ll start seeing the benefit of the initial investment in multi-class cards, so I’m excited.

It asks for a lot of card sets, though.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Looked into Finn since a few of you mentioned him. I like this list but I don't have access to Easy Mark or Faustian Bargain. Are there any cards that could work as stand-ins?

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Well, they're resource cards, so Emergency Cache always works as a replacement, if not quite as good.

Maybe Burglary, Burning the Midnight Oil, Crack the Case.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Batterypowered7 posted:

Looked into Finn since a few of you mentioned him. I like this list but I don't have access to Easy Mark or Faustian Bargain. Are there any cards that could work as stand-ins?

Do you have "Watch This!" and Kicking the Hornet's Nest? That last one is very good for Finn. Free clue and resources and he's good at evading that enemy. It's hard to beat Faustian Bargain, but you can pick up Hot Streak early.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Rythian posted:

Well, they're resource cards, so Emergency Cache always works as a replacement, if not quite as good.

Maybe Burglary, Burning the Midnight Oil, Crack the Case.

LifeLynx posted:

Do you have "Watch This!" and Kicking the Hornet's Nest? That last one is very good for Finn. Free clue and resources and he's good at evading that enemy. It's hard to beat Faustian Bargain, but you can pick up Hot Streak early.

Awesome possum. Thank you for the suggestions! I do have access to both Watch This! and Kicking the Hornet's Nest, and both Burglary and Burning the Midnight Oil seem neat.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I've given out a bit of advice so maybe it's time I got some critiques on my decks. I've decided to try playing Innsmouth 2 handed solo, which I've tried before and utterly failed at, to the point it was clear my decks just weren't functioning just in the first scenario. Then I did it in a group of 4 actual people and we did manage to get through that reasonably well, then did very well at Scenario 2, got the right guess and a decent amount of XP but then the run petered out.

Then yesterday I got it in my head to try it again, using Trish and Tommy as my clue gatherer and fighter respectively. I try to go into campaigns relatively unspoiled but I'll get general impressions and obviously I've played the two scenarios before so I knew I needed a bit more soak than I'd put into most decks for other campaigns and some movement stuff if I could fit it.

So I made a Tommy deck and used a deck from Arkhamdb for Trish that I assume was highly rated cause I cloned it and saved it as one I wanted to play, then played the initial scenario twice yesterday, with the same decks, first time I got absolutely smashed and was kinda like "holy gently caress maybe I just hate this campaign", a little tilted tbh. Then in the evening I gave it another go, trying to keep a bit more of what I needed to do in mind and the sorts of pitfalls, managed to just about scrape to a victory with some very close calls, finished it with both victory locations cleared, 2 of the 3 location based flashbacks and both characters getting out.

Then an hour or so after I finished it, had one of those "waiiiiit a minute" treacherous brain moments and I'm pretty sure I didn't shuffle the treacheries that deal with the Amalgam into the encounter deck after flipping act 1, I spawned the Amalgam on the lead character and then killed it with him but just forgot to shuffle them in when I shuffled the encounter discard in. Probably because I was rushing having done the scenario earlier the same day. The Amalgam still came into play a couple times cause of the elder thing symbol getting pulled on some cruel tests but yeah, pretty dispiriting to know I basically clawed my way to what felt like a hard won victory on an utterly gimped version of the scenario. He would have absolutely cream crackered me if he'd come into play from drawing treacheries, though I guess maybe at a push it'd have been better than some guaranteed damage from failing the two willpower test treacheries? Tommy and Trish not the most resilient to those kinds of tests.

Anyway, I'm kinda half tempted to just go on with the campaign rather than doing it again but my brain kinda wants to beat it, properly and at least get a similar result to this one, so I was wondering if anyone could critique my decks, specifically for Innsmouth if you've played it? I'm at a bit of a loss and annoyed because I've kinda done alright in most of the other campaigns with decks I've not planned nearly as much as this, I've lost scenarios and such but none so brutally as I have done here, even the infamous Forgotten Age didn't feel as hosed up imo. If I get a physical trauma in this first scenario then I'll be going into every subsequent scenario with 5 health haha.

Tommy fighter deck, I'm kinda of the mind that the bolas are too much dedicated to evading/tying up an enemy and at least in the first scenario, stand together is a bit unneeded as well cause I had fuckloads of money between Tommy's ability and Trish's economy cards. Maybe a beat cop is just better than medical student as well, for the plus strength? Not finding I'm missing attacks though, just the 3 health enemies take 2 actions to take out without a vicious blow and I get bogged down eventually. The handcuffs felt decent cause I used them on the bull to just lock him down permanently rather than risk him getting shuffled back into the deck at any point.
https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/2258049

Trish cluever deck focused on eventually getting the pendant of the queen and the red clock going permanently cause I've not used those yet. The eldritch sophists aren't the most useful for their actual ability this early on but are alright soak if it comes to it. Everything else feels relatively integral to me? Edit: Getting advice elsewhere that forced learning and pendant of the queen just don't work together, I dunno, I assembled it just fine, either way, I don't think that was the issue this early in the campaign really.
https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/2833808

Edit: Man, the responses I got elsewhere feel pretty dispiriting, seems like I have to completely remake both decks.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 24, 2023

soap.
Jul 15, 2007

Her?

Anonymous Robot posted:

I am actually playing that Akachi deck right now and having a great time.

poo poo no way me too! I also just got some of the multiclass cards (Brand of Cthuga and Prophetic) and I'm excited to see where it goes

It's a very solid deck that starts off very straightforward so I think it's a great choice for a new player or someone coming back in.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

Tommy fighter deck, I'm kinda of the mind that the bolas are too much dedicated to evading/tying up an enemy and at least in the first scenario, stand together is a bit unneeded as well cause I had fuckloads of money between Tommy's ability and Trish's economy cards. Maybe a beat cop is just better than medical student as well, for the plus strength? Not finding I'm missing attacks though, just the 3 health enemies take 2 actions to take out without a vicious blow and I get bogged down eventually. The handcuffs felt decent cause I used them on the bull to just lock him down permanently rather than risk him getting shuffled back into the deck at any point.
https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/2258049

Trish cluever deck focused on eventually getting the pendant of the queen and the red clock going permanently cause I've not used those yet. The eldritch sophists aren't the most useful for their actual ability this early on but are alright soak if it comes to it. Everything else feels relatively integral to me? Edit: Getting advice elsewhere that forced learning and pendant of the queen just don't work together, I dunno, I assembled it just fine, either way, I don't think that was the issue this early in the campaign really.
https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/2833808

Edit: Man, the responses I got elsewhere feel pretty dispiriting, seems like I have to completely remake both decks.

For the Tommy deck, I think you're basically on the ball on what can be streamlined but the deck really isn't that bad. I think Bolas and Handcuffs do have some good uses in Innsmouth specifically because of cards like the Deep One Bull, but the thing to bear in mind is that Tommy only has 4 combat. So Beat Cop kind of is necessary for him to have a leg up on strong enemies. For the same reason, a card I think you should consider is Jury-rig to help shore up his combat score on big fights. If you're getting creamed by treacheries maybe also consider Something Worth Fighting For. I don't see much point of Track Shoes in Tommy personally, but maybe I'm wrong on that idk.

Trish looks fine to me but it's hard to gently caress up Trish. My only advice would be to consider Pickpocketing. It's surprisingly helpful in evade heavy decks.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Trish can take the card that lets her play something from Tommy’s hand. With the track shoes and safeguard level two, your mobility problems are solved.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Which of these two Finn lists look better to you all?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I reworked the Tommy deck and chucked in like, way more soak than I've ever put in any deck, beat cop instead of the medical student and then safeguard instead of the track shoes. Kept the Trish deck the same and beat it with all the flashbacks and the two victory locations without possibly cheating, the Amalgam ended up coming out about the same number of time cause I failed less from the elder thing symbol but drew the treacheries, just managed to get around a lot more with the safeguards and such I guess and the soak kept Tommy up and able to just tank some poo poo and fill up becky.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Big day for previews/leaks, apparently.

Persistence seems pretty solid and a good Minh card, not sure how to feel about the rest, Pelt Shipment looks fun but hard to work with, though I suppose you can always hope to just Resourceful it before the scenario ends.

Next up, a couple of higher-level Parley cards for once. Stir the Pot seems questionable for 5 XP, but Snitch seems pretty solid for 2.

And finally Hank Samson's deckbuilding, aka 'We Have Calvin At Home'.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Yorick is my favorite investigator and he is eating good this expansion.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Stir the pot seems decent enough as insurance for a parlay heavy portfolio sometimes resulting in perhaps more enemies around than you want. It's a dynamite with no friendly fire that lets you evade anything left standing and move away as well.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Stir The Pot is thematic as hell and I love it.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Stir the Pot is a bit of a Timmy card, but if you have 2 guys on you and it kills or heavily damages those 2 enemies and moves you away for one action, that’s not a bad “ohshit” button. It’s expensive for 5 exp, but it’s probably worth a try with the right enemy sets.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

We’ve already seen a card that lets you play parlays from your trash, so it really costs 2.5 XP. It’s definitely a test you don’t want to whiff, but if we had this it could’ve saved some runs of “in too deep.”

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Imagine sitting on two Pelt Shipments as the rest of the team is battling a boss so that you can get a Chainsaw early.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Inadequately posted:

Big day for previews/leaks, apparently.

Persistence seems pretty solid and a good Minh card, not sure how to feel about the rest, Pelt Shipment looks fun but hard to work with, though I suppose you can always hope to just Resourceful it before the scenario ends.

Next up, a couple of higher-level Parley cards for once. Stir the Pot seems questionable for 5 XP, but Snitch seems pretty solid for 2.

And finally Hank Samson's deckbuilding, aka 'We Have Calvin At Home'.

Guided By Fate isn't bad if you're running Bless. You get to discover 1-2 clues and add 2 bless tokens into the bag. Guardians struggle to discover clues so even just discovering one is good. More importantly that hat is incredible.

Hold Up seems pretty lame. It might save you a bit of money but probably not much. The reason the rogue version works is because of lockpicks.

Both Survivor cards are solid and dependable includes. Survivor doesn't really need the extra XP but it's nice and not that hard to use. You can just keep it in a backpack until the end of a scenario if you really need to hand size.

It's hilarious that Stir the Pot lets you convince an enemy to punch itself in the face. It's a strong enough effect that even just using it on a boss by itself is incredibly strong, since they tend to have very high damage and horror values. But it's also very useful to nuke a swarm of enemies. I would probably only include 1 in my deck as it's too expensive and I would likely only really need to use it once a scenario.

Snitch is incredibly strong and an auto-include for anyone using a lot of Parlay effects.

I would say that Hank gets more use out of Spirit than Calvin does, since the latter needs to include a bunch of protection whereas Hank has more flexibility to include all the juicy fight events and has a bigger deck-size to take them. Get Over Here will be great for dealing with Elusive enemies and his weakness. Innate doesn't get him as much but I do like Eureka and True Understanding so those could be some good options.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Dec 29, 2023

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

SelenicMartian posted:

Imagine sitting on two Pelt Shipments as the rest of the team is battling a boss so that you can get a Chainsaw early.

Agnes with 2 Pelt Shipments and all the Mystic xp boosters.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Stir the Pot with the now-banned Double or Nothing and some success shenanigans could be fun.

Sadly, the Man in the Pallid Mask is too weak to punch himself effectively.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I think its kind of funny to give xp acceleration to the class that needs it the least. Good card for Bob or any non-survivor that has level 0 access to the class though.

Snitch is just strong. 1 resource and 0 actions for 2 clues, yes please.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Bob sitting on a bunch of beaver pelts to make a bit of xp is perfect.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Anonymous Robot posted:

Bob sitting on a bunch of beaver pelts to make a bit of xp is perfect.

Completely in character as well!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

sirtommygunn posted:

Snitch is just strong. 1 resource and 0 actions for 2 clues, yes please.

By itself it’s useless because I’d say 90% of scenarios don’t have parlays. It’s fine as a combo piece or specific tech.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Golden Bee posted:

By itself it’s useless because I’d say 90% of scenarios don’t have parlays. It’s fine as a combo piece or specific tech.

Do you think i was saying you should run this in all decks or are you unaware of the many parley cards being released with the set?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

sirtommygunn posted:

Do you think i was saying you should run this in all decks or are you unaware of the many parley cards being released with the set?

It’s a combo with all the parlay cards. A dollar and card for two clues with a specific trigger, for two XP, is on par with lesson learned. I think it’s great too, it’s gotta be on your list if you’re playing the countess, especially with her recursion spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

We can only hope there are enough cards for a full parlay deck, and a path to bullshit your way though an entire campaign.