Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Are people's cities actually exporting cargo now? Mine still isn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

MikeC posted:

Are people's cities actually exporting cargo now? Mine still isn't

My planes don’t seem to be exporting anything; I’m not sure about my trains just yet.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
My newly built cargo train terminal seems to be exporting

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I told myself I would buy this game when I finished my uni semester. How are the performance issues going?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I told myself I would buy this game when I finished my uni semester. How are the performance issues going?

If you have a reasonably modern computer it's fine.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

This guy's been tracking performance improvements over time: https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/18kccdb/patch_1018f1_hotfix_updated_benchmark_results_and/

I don't think graphics performance is an issue for the game generally anymore. The simulation performance still slows down when you get past 100k-200k population, but its playable.

Try it out on GamePass, if they still have one of those good cheap deals like 1$ a month. Otherwise, game is in a decent shape, but you'll have to wait for modding support some time in 2024 for the full experience.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

For what it's worth the $1 for 14 days trial of Gamepass is always available and can be used repeatedly as long as you activate it by clicking the "get game pass" button in the xbox app on PC.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Sweet! I’ll grab it tonight.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’ll give them that since launch they unfucked a lot faster than I expected, but there’s a lot to unfuck.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'm still holding out at least until mods are going but I'm still overall encouraged.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
did they ever fix that bug where you have to constantly turn off the radio ads since the settings aren't preserved?

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
Here's a fun one I found - if you've built elevated tram lines on the side of your streets (so, the supports are in the sidewalk), properties won't spawn in on that length of the road.

I had some zoned land that hadn't spawned anything for days despite demand, and as soon as I bulldozed the tramlines it filled in.

Existing properties will keep working fine if you put the tramlines in after they've spawned, but new ones won't come in.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The patch notes for the latest one also mentioned fixing peeps walking in the air up to elevated lines. Without having tested it, I think there's a good chance they just won't work that way any more.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Lmao that they didn't bother making an elevated tram station.

I'll really don't get the high school. Why's it forever 1/8th the student population of all the other education levels?

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Just set up your healthcare and pollution so that only one out of eight children survive to high school.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Asproigerosis posted:

Lmao that they didn't bother making an elevated tram station.

I'll really don't get the high school. Why's it forever 1/8th the student population of all the other education levels?

https://cs2.paradoxwikis.com/Citizens#Education posted:

Education determines the highest job level a citizen can have and also increase their wages and efficiency and decreases their water and electricity consumption and garbage production. There are 5 levels of education: Uneducated, Poorly Educated, Educated, Well Educated, and Highly Educated. Each school provides one level of education for citizens.

- Elementary School raises education from Uneducated to Poorly Educated. Only Children can attend.
- High School raises education from Poorly Educated to Educated. Only Teens can attend.
- College raises education from Educated to Well Educated. Only Teens and Adults can attend.
- University raises education from Well Educated to Highly Educated. Only Adults can attend.
Teens and adults can choose to go to school or get a job. To make this decision they calculate the potential income if they choose to go to work and compare it to the income they will receive from a higher education level job after they graduate from school and see which one is more profitable for them. Some citizens have a preference for working instead of school and even if the potential future income would be better in the long run, they will still choose to work instead of studying.

https://cs2.paradoxwikis.com/Services#Education posted:

Children always go to Elementary School if one is available, while Teens and Adults have the freedom to choose whether to go to school or switch to working. Teens can go to High School while Adults have the option to either go to College or one of the Universities available in the game. When choosing between school and work, citizens calculate which is financially more beneficial for them: to start working now in a lower position and earning money, or studying for a higher possible position earning them more money. Some citizens also simply choose to study or work depending on their inherent interests.

Citizens have 5 levels of education: Uneducated, Poorly Educated, Educated, Well Educated, and Highly Educated. Every time a citizen graduates from a school, their education level increases by one. Citizens can also fail to graduate at which point they evaluate their options and either continue studying or get a job.

So it's a weird three-pronged thing:
- usually most of the people immigrating to your city are dummies, no education, until you become a thriving prosperous metropolis
- they start out as children going to elementary school (given availability), but there's a chance they can fail, meaning they go back to elementary school
- if they graduate, they could go to high school, or they can just go get a job and not have a high school education

So elementary school is fated to have more students than the other tiers. Everyone has to start out in elementary school if they don't have prior education, so its naturally going to be the most filled of the education levels, since the pipeline starts here. From there, they can still fail a grade and remain in elementary, so that's another big entry to elementary school in the pipeline -- existing students. Past that, if they graduate, for whatever reason they choose to do so, they may skip high school entirely, so the flow to high school isn't as big as it was for elementary school.

Yeah it's a weird system, but that's how it shakes out.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I remember reading that sims also spend a lot more time in their life as a "child" and therefore eligible for elementary school, than as "teen" or "adult"

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

No Word of the Week until the new year, but they released this video instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oULuIc9BkgE

I'm not going to watch it, so congratulations or my condolences, but it does seem kinda funny putting out a documentary called "The Journey to Launch" when everyone pretty unanimously think they launched too early and in a terrible state.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

piratepilates posted:

No Word of the Week until the new year, but they released this video instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oULuIc9BkgE

I'm not going to watch it, so congratulations or my condolences, but it does seem kinda funny putting out a documentary called "The Journey to Launch" when everyone pretty unanimously think they launched too early and in a terrible state.

They were actually surprisingly candid about "oops we launched too early"

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Not being at work and not squeezing the forums and reddit and what have to as hard as I can everyday to avoid work made me miss the patch coming out lol

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

"it's like seeing a tiny little baby for the first time, even if that baby is as ugly as f***"

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
New patch really helped performance a lot. I'm now holding a steady 30 to 40 fps even when zoomed in on the busiest parts of the city. Had a weird bug last night where my paper industry started costing me millions until I put them into negative tax. I was making 100s of millions from this. Than it switched back. Now my 1 percent tax in just the paper industry is subsidizing my whole city.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Raymond T. Racing posted:

I still can't get a refund though and was banned from the PDX forums for asking for one. However, reading the YouTube comments, everyone's forgiven them now because "transparent" and "open". gently caress that, I could have done with a bit more "transparency" and "openness" before they launched the game, frankly.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jonny Shiloh posted:

I still can't get a refund though and was banned from the PDX forums for asking for one. However, reading the YouTube comments, everyone's forgiven them now because "transparent" and "open". gently caress that, I could have done with a bit more "transparency" and "openness" before they launched the game, frankly.

It was very hosed up that a lot of people reviewed this game and said absolutely nothing about the simulation being broken, which is the one thing that wasn't readily apparent from any video footage

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It wasn't really clear for a while what was broken and what was working as intended though.

Not to excuse the state it launched in.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Raymond T. Racing posted:

Oops we took all your money and gave you a poo poo game! Teehee

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

VostokProgram posted:

Oops we took all your money and gave you a poo poo game! Teehee

Doing this is absolutely not okay... but at least we can be hopeful this isn't just a smash-and-grab and perhaps, like No Man's Sky, though it was released years too early perhaps it will one day be developed into a full and functional game.

(Disclaimer, I personally don't like NMS but it seems worth citing as an example of a game that was a steaming pile of poo poo at launch but the devs stuck with and actually developed it, at least)

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Duodecimal posted:

Just set up your healthcare and pollution so that only one out of eight children survive to high school.

i immediately knew i was in a paradox game thread, but i wasn't sure which one until i looked at the title bar

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Mr. Fix It posted:

i immediately knew i was in a paradox game thread, but i wasn't sure which one until i looked at the title bar

Hey hey this could be Dorf Fort or Rimworld just as easily!

e; On topic I personally don't mind that it was basically an EA game sold as 1.0 because I have had a few dozen hours of fun already and there is no doubt whatsoever that I would be buying this game and a bunch of DLCs. However, just because I'm personally okay with it doesn't mean it's actually an acceptable practice. Though given the fact that it was already delayed 2 1/2 to 3 years I can understand both internal and external pressure demanding that it get out the door, they absolutely should have said "Hey we're launching this in Early Access with an eye to release 1.0 in March or April next year. We're very happy with the bones but we know it needs performance optimization and bug fixes - we'd love to have you aboard to help us in that process and to give us feedback on your most wanted features for the future!" and most of the criticism would be erased at a stroke.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 19, 2023

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Eric the Mauve posted:

Doing this is absolutely not okay... but at least we can be hopeful this isn't just a smash-and-grab and perhaps, like No Man's Sky, though it was released years too early perhaps it will one day be developed into a full and functional game.

(Disclaimer, I personally don't like NMS but it seems worth citing as an example of a game that was a steaming pile of poo poo at launch but the devs stuck with and actually developed it, at least)

Paradox will be charging you for all the missing features, NMS has zero paid DLC

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
So I haven't been able to google and answer for this:

Does specialized Industry decrease my industry desire? I've got a big rear end rock quarry with like 100 open jobs in level 3 town, but my industry bar is 1/3 full

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Soonmot posted:

So I haven't been able to google and answer for this:

Does specialized Industry decrease my industry desire? I've got a big rear end rock quarry with like 100 open jobs in level 3 town, but my industry bar is 1/3 full
I don’t know, but places of employment require workers of (a mix of) specific education levels. You could have 1000 college degree required jobs open and 1000 unemployed uneducated people and welp.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Half of the jobs in my 50k city are empty because of what I presume is education.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jonny Shiloh posted:

I was a bit disappointed in the big skylines streamers mostly glossing over all the issues but then I guess they were told their games were early versions and the bugs would be patched at launch.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
It's not education, the only open positions are for uneducated and educated, but I hadn't even considered that, so thanks for making me check. It's just population keeping those from being filled. Plus I added a few farms now and I'm still showing industrial want. I know I need industrial to actually make use of the resources from these special districts, I'm just surprised that the want keeps climbing while I have openings at these specialized jobs.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Soonmot posted:

It's not education, the only open positions are for uneducated and educated, but I hadn't even considered that, so thanks for making me check. It's just population keeping those from being filled. Plus I added a few farms now and I'm still showing industrial want. I know I need industrial to actually make use of the resources from these special districts, I'm just surprised that the want keeps climbing while I have openings at these specialized jobs.

Ignore the demand meters, they're aren't intended as a "you must build this now" indicator, they just show what demand is - two very different things.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Also I think specialized industry can actually increase the demand meter because the newly available raw materials make next step processing industry jobs more lucrative.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Still kind of confused why I have some SFH low density households that leave due to being unhappy, but when I click on their abandoned house they have high overall happiness :effort:

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Don't like the mass spam of low density houses complaining about high rent, but they refuse to demand higher density housing (if the bar is empty nobody will build anything, if it's pretty low, they might build, but very high likelihood the building just remains empty and eventually abandoned/collapses). Trying to get people to move in to fill these jobs but no demand.

Also offices are hilariously broken and you just get infinite money from them, they constantly have obscene demand. Media, software, financial make up 80% of my exports lol.

I just want a salt of the earth lunch pail industry city, but industry is stupid, significantly broken by the land value mechanic just shoots to the moon and spreads along your roads like a mold. Except the expansion is stopped by low density housing which will never ever have land value increase around it. I also think it's a terrible mechanic to have industry requiring so many high education employees. Really need 16 university educated workers in your 30 person furniture factory?

I've never seen any material goods exported because offices are a billion times better than industry

Also is it normal to constantly have these insane crashes? I have numerous road maintenance shops and all the roads are green condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
Just found out auto-save is disabled by default.