Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
putting things back on shelves in the wrong place in supermarkets is disgusting. almost as bad as eating stuff before youve paid for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!
Realised my mistake of saying the song is about a goth girlfriend. Doesn't really narrow it down at all

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Yeah I'm just working through my brexocalypse/covid stash a meal or two a week, if I just lived on it for a week, I'd get through most of it, but it's such boring stuff (hence why I got it - so I don't binge it all in one go!)

Next year will start to build up a new stash for the next apocalypse. (Some sort of mega-cyber crash of the entire banking / 'just in time' food system).

Meanwhile:

ARFID - is this real, or is it what was called when I was a sprog "fussy eaters"? My 7 year old niece has it apparently.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yeah I'm just working through my brexocalypse/covid stash a meal or two a week, if I just lived on it for a week, I'd get through most of it, but it's such boring stuff (hence why I got it - so I don't binge it all in one go!)

Next year will start to build up a new stash for the next apocalypse. (Some sort of mega-cyber crash of the entire banking / 'just in time' food system).

What if the apocalypse happens in between stash resupplies and you're caught short? I think you need more active inventory management or something

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

What if the apocalypse happens in between stash resupplies and you're caught short? I think you need more active inventory management or something

I live a couple of minutes from Home Bargains & Waitrose. I could go & lob a brick through the window and raid a stack of chickpeas (in minecraft obvs)

Ed: actually I have a week's worth of canned chickpeas and about a month's worth of dehydrated mixed veg in.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Dec 20, 2023

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

ARFID - is this real, or is it what was called when I was a sprog "fussy eaters"? My 7 year old niece has it apparently.

Myth: ARFID is the same as picky eating and individuals will grow out of it.
Fact: ARFID results in weight loss, nutritional deficiencies, deterioration in physical function and an adverse effect on an individual’s personal, professional and social life.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Myth: ARFID is the same as picky eating and individuals will grow out of it.
Fact: ARFID results in weight loss, nutritional deficiencies, deterioration in physical function and an adverse effect on an individual’s personal, professional and social life.

I'd never heard of arfid before but I've had psychological issues towards certain food (mashed potatoes, salty ham, savoury pastry) since I was a child. I still can't go near a Greggs without feeling ill.

Luckily I found that with enough chillies anything can be made edible

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

It probably is the same thing, it's just nobody realised it was A Thing before so people with it just had to suffer.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

smellmycheese posted:

I regularly just burst into laughter at the INSANE price of basic food items these days.

you can already pay for takeout deliveries in installments, only a matter of time until tescos start offering Clearpay for your bread and eggs

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
To save anyone else Googling it, this is what the NHS says about ARFID

quote:

Avoidant/restrictive food intake disorder (ARFID)

ARFID is when someone avoids certain foods, limits how much they eat or does both.

Beliefs about weight or body shape are not reasons why people develop ARFID.

Possible reasons for ARFID include:

* negative feelings over the smell, taste or texture of certain foods
* a response to a past experience with food that was upsetting, for example, choking or being sick after eating something
* not feeling hungry or just a lack of interest in eating

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I've got arfid but it's just bananas

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It seems to be a bunch of different things.

Restrictive type says that it's very similar, so that's probably a spectrum where one end is just being a picky eater and the other end is needing medical help and there's a bunch of cases in the middle that would have just been ignored in the past.

quote:

Individuals who experience Restrictive ARFID may show signs of little-to-no interest in food. Restrictive ARFID can make one forget to eat altogether, show signs of a low appetite or get extremely distracted during mealtime. Another symptom of Restrictive includes extreme pickiness of foods, resulting in limited intake.

Aversive sounds more like post-illness anxiety than a strictly food related one.

quote:

Aversive ARFID evokes a fear of choking, nausea, vomiting, pain and/or swallowing, forcing the individual to avoid the food altogether.

Also interesting that Eating Recovery mentions

quote:

Eating disorders, including anorexia and bulimia, are familial illnesses, and temperamental traits predisposing individuals toward developing an illness are passed from generation to generation.

I remember when pop culture was trying to blame all that on magazine covers.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

When I was a kid there were foods I did not want to eat because they made me feel sick (macaroni cheese, cauliflower cheese - which to me is about the foulest food creation on the planet, cheese on toast, Welch Rarebit etc) and I would be sat in the kitchen with my apron strings tied round the back of the chair until it was eaten sometimes hours later.
Now, it's a little galling to see my mum getting ARFID newsletters etc because of my great-niece's reluctance to eat anything except plain pasta with a bit of butter on top.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

When I was I was a kid I once woke up to cold sick in my mouth and across my bed that looked exactly like tinned tuna.

Now I physically cannot smell tinned tuna as anything but vomit and trying to put a spoon of tuna pasta salad near my mouth, no matter how much everyone else assures me it's perfectly fine, triggers the early onset of throwing up.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tesseraction posted:

When I was I was a kid I once woke up to cold sick in my mouth and across my bed that looked exactly like tinned tuna.

Now I physically cannot smell tinned tuna as anything but vomit and trying to put a spoon of tuna pasta salad near my mouth, no matter how much everyone else assures me it's perfectly fine, triggers the early onset of throwing up.

To get out of going to school the next day I made a glass of juice using Robinson's blackberry fruit juice (or something like that) & then poured so much salt into it. And then barfed, lovely purple puke. And could never have that flavour of Robinson's again without dry heaving. Fortunately it did not ruin my enjoyment of salt.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

When I was a kid there were foods I did not want to eat because they made me feel sick (macaroni cheese, cauliflower cheese - which to me is about the foulest food creation on the planet, cheese on toast, Welch Rarebit etc) and I would be sat in the kitchen with my apron strings tied round the back of the chair until it was eaten sometimes hours later.
Now, it's a little galling to see my mum getting ARFID newsletters etc because of my great-niece's reluctance to eat anything except plain pasta with a bit of butter on top.

Cauliflower cheese is gross agreed but sounds like you just refused to eat things you didn't like. My mum tried the same but it turned out I was just offended by her cooking.

Sounds like your niece has some serious issues that need to be addressed.

My cousin would only voluntarily eat cereal and Marmite on toast growing up and he's since had a lifetime of mental health issues.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That's marmite for you.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Marmite on the roast potatoes is the hot thing this Xmas

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What was that thing that said we're paying California prices on Alabama wages

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Apraxin posted:

no, he still is - hasn't resigned and is hinting at Dark Forces being responsible for his current troubles

potential for some big/bleak lols if he stands as an independent in the byelection

Whoever defeats him will henceforth be known as the Bonecrusher

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I blame a bottle of black absinthe at 16 for my unshakeable aversion to all things licorice.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I live a couple of minutes from Home Bargains & Waitrose. I could go & lob a brick through the window and raid a stack of chickpeas (in minecraft obvs)

Ed: actually I have a week's worth of canned chickpeas and about a month's worth of dehydrated mixed veg in.

Better be quick, not only will other people be heading there but in an actual apocalyptic scenario the lack of power isn't just going to make the perishables go off, it will turn the whole building into a giant biohazard.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Miftan posted:

I blame a bottle of black absinthe at 16 for my unshakeable aversion to all things licorice.

Same, but apple cider and the culprit was a bottle of knock-off White Lightning. I didn't even have that much overall, my body just took one look at it and went "nope, not having that inside me".

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Miftan posted:

I blame having tastebuds.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I had norovirus or some other stomach issue a few days after a wedding in the middle of November and everything I ate the day before it started and during it definitely brings about a little wave of nausea if I think about eating it again still. Hoping it'll gradually go away but it's not stuff I regularly used to eat anyway.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

For some reason if I eat melon it makes me vom afterwards. No idea why, I have no emotional aversion to it and it tastes quite nice, just makes me vomit so I can't have it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sounds like a tasty way of getting out of engagements.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I work with quite a lot of children who - 20 years ago - would have all been described as "fussy eaters".
I'd say maybe 75% of the ones I work with are "fussy eaters", because there's no huge impact on health; they get enough calories from eating in a different setting, or they hold out for junk food because they know they'll get it if they refuse long enough.
The other 25% fit into a range of more challenging eating behaviours. This ranges from "will only eat 2-3 meals that Mum prepares and won't touch it if it's prepared by someone else, I can tell it was you, Nana" (but is otherwise healthy) to kids where medical professionals start thinking about tube-feeding as a means of last-resort.

ARFID is definitely on the more severe end of the scale, particularly if you want to access NHS services.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The main difference is a fussy eater just doesn't want to eat the thing. Someone with ARFID cannot bring themselves to eat the thing, no matter how much they are punished or cajoled into doing it. It's a pathological block, not a choice.

I heard about an interesting comparison, which is that most people can swallow their own spit and do so constantly every day without any problem. But ask them to spit into a cup - a sterile cup, freshly unwrapped and rinsed - and then drink it, and they can't do it. A mental block of revulsion kicks in - even though there's no external germs entering the process, and it's the same spit you'd be able to swallow no problem if it never left your mouth.

The willing conflation between the two (and I'm not accusing anyone here of doing it) is very much like when you get people framing getting triggered about 'hurt feelings,' as opposed to the more technical meaning of pushing someone into a fight / flight reaction.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

its only spit once it comes out of you.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I find picky eaters irritating and childish, so I’m glad I now know that there’s a separate thing that I should take seriously. Is there a way to tell the difference? Cos I’ve been in situations where I’ve been having people round for dinner and so and so’s new partner can’t eat this, that and the other but it turns out that it’s not because of allergies or anything. It’d be handy to know if this is medical or just them being an irritating bastard.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The main difference is a fussy eater just doesn't want to eat the thing. Someone with ARFID cannot bring themselves to eat the thing, no matter how much they are punished or cajoled into doing it. It's a pathological block, not a choice.

It has to be something pathological with me.
I can eat a potato absolutely fine. But mash that same potato, and for whatever reason I cannot physically swallow it and can only drink it down with something very highly flavoured. It's bizarre.
Same with savoury pastry - I love croissants but stick some ham or something in it and I can't eat it. The smell alone becomes revolting, though I have no issues with the smell of pastry or the smell of ham in isolation.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jakabite posted:

I find picky eaters irritating and childish, so I’m glad I now know that there’s a separate thing that I should take seriously. Is there a way to tell the difference? Cos I’ve been in situations where I’ve been having people round for dinner and so and so’s new partner can’t eat this, that and the other but it turns out that it’s not because of allergies or anything. It’d be handy to know if this is medical or just them being an irritating bastard.

No. It's a spectrum, so you have to make your own decisions as to when you start despising people.

Personally, I'm glad that I can eat absolutely everything. Rubbery Shanghai pigeon -toe soup? Sea slug in abalone shell? Nom nom

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jakabite posted:

vegetarians.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You shouldn't eat vegetarians.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
My partner’s a vegan and though I know it’s the morally correct choice, I hate the guilt I feel every time I make myself a fantastically elaborate meat dish. They don’t have a go to be fair, and I do cook really nice vegan stuff sometimes too. It’s just not as fun.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I could go vegetarian but vegan is too difficult for me. I like eggs too much. I would have survived the smashmouth challenge.

Although to be clear that challenge wasn't why he died.

It was the alcoholism.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jakabite posted:

My partner’s a vegan and though I know it’s the morally correct choice, I hate the guilt I feel every time I make myself a fantastically elaborate meat dish. They don’t have a go to be fair, and I do cook really nice vegan stuff sometimes too. It’s just not as fun.

You can do pretty fun things with tofu and mushrooms tbh.

Yeah yeah you can stick them in your arse, if you want

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Jakabite posted:

Yeah, fake meat can't get better fast enough. There's some fake stuff that's just as good as the real stuff, mostly in the "trash meat" department. I like Quorn hotdogs, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

We use the quorn mince for a spaghetti and it turns out pretty good. My partner makes their own sauce which probably helps it out. I'm also a fan of Greggs' vegan sausage roll. Very little taste difference and keeps better than the regular sausage rolls.