Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I have no idea how cromulent the guy smackfu linked is but he seems extremely bearish on the office/officer question being the one that settles things, and I find his argument fairly convincing - but I'm no law expert and I'm coming at this from the perspective of a layperson who thinks the argument that a person holding office is not an officer is barefacedly insane.

I'm torn between thinking the SCOTUS will issue the ruling "gently caress you Trump can do what he wants" or something much more cowardly. If they lay out something that basically lets states decide for themselves, it's going to be chaos like we've never seen before, because getting Trump off the ballot in Colorado doesn't matter electorally, he's not winning it, but if there's a chance to get him kicked off in a swing state? Michigan, Pennsylvania, Georgia, anything like that? Cataclysmic. Makes a victory, though not outright impossible, a Herculean challenge.

Though I can see one route to even greater chaos still, which is if Alito or Thomas keel over from a heart attack in the next couple of weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Paracaidas posted:

While I'm not entirely on board with BigHead's read, you appear to have misread the argument (emphasis mine)

The argument here is that our hypothetical ex-senator would be disqualified as president due to taking the oath as a senator, which qualifies as an officer, while Trump escapes disqualification: He took the oath, but never did so as an officer.

"Well he was never a senator at any point in time, so therefore Trump is Emperor"

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Skex posted:

This Colorado case could nip the the Trump campaign in the bud and I'm betting that the actual powers behind the GOP would be more than happy to roll the dice on Haley.

Yeah, this is kind of the way I'm leaning here, this would be the last best time to take him off the board, before the campaign really builds steam.

Ms Adequate posted:

Though I can see one route to even greater chaos still, which is if Alito or Thomas keel over from a heart attack in the next couple of weeks.

From your lips to God's ear.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
the "officer" argument, if i am understanding correctly, is that officers of the executive branch are anyone subordinate to the president: people who hold office under the president

the president is the head of the executive branch, so he is the one figure that is not an officer

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Yes but as the Colorado Supreme Court justified it, it is absurd to argue that:

quote:

"President Trump asks us to hold that Section Three disqualifies every oathbreaking insurrectionist except the most powerful one and that it bars oath-breakers from virtually every office, both state and federal, except the highest one in the land," the majority wrote. "Both results are inconsistent with the plain language and history of Section Three."

EDIT:

But all of this is purely academic, of course. As I am certain the Supreme Court will overturn this as even the Colorado state court had only a 4-3 vote on this.

Keisari fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 20, 2023

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

BigHead posted:

Interestingly, that article points out that Trump is basically the only president who has never been anything but president. Everyone else has been a senator or governor or general. A president who used to be a senator would fall under the Amendment because that person would have, at some point, taken an oath as an officer, and the Amendment bans anyone who has taken that oath in the past.
Wow. So if the courts decide that's what it comes down to they pretty much are gonna be saying "you can't touch this President and this very specifically only this President for this reason". And yeah it's pretty much just academic, I've seen how badly they can torture logic when they want. Did you know that if you grow a plant entirely within one state for personal use/not for sale, meticulously purchasing every drat part of the supply chain from dirt to final product within the state where you reside, you're engaging in "commerce between the several states"? The reason being that if they let this person grow this plant they know that suddenly everyone will start growing plants because they can use this case as precedent but wait if that happens they'll all want to sell the flowers outside their state of residence and suddenly you've got full-blown interstate commerce on your hands don't you see

Liquid Communism posted:

The hilarious part is that he, as recently as July this year, used the argument that he was a federal officer to justify trying to move a case against him from other jurisdictions to the DC circuit federal courts.

Edit: Specifically People of NY vs Trump, and K&D LLC v. Trump Old Post Office, LLC in 2020 when his hotel was getting sued for unfair business practices.
That sounds like something that should matter but won't

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Dec 20, 2023

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Lol this is the SCOTUS that spent weeks with multiple members during their hearings saying Roe was "settled law" and then loving instantly gutted Roe because that's what they wanted to do all along. They'll rule however they god drat well feel like and law or precedent means less than the morning poo poo I flushed away.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Fifteen of Many posted:

I’m not sure how to feel here. Like on the one hand I believe Trump did the things, and should be disqualified, but I don’t super love a precedent that allows insanely gerrymandered states like Wisconsin to unilaterally decide no dems can be on the ballot because “they’re aiding and abetting the enemy hordes flooding over the border” or some poo poo.

It seems like there should be some kind of clear standard that applies nationwide (the 14th doesn’t say who decides an insurrection has occurred or how culpability is assigned which feels different to me than the articles explicitly saying states administer elections, but :shrug:) but lol at any coherent standard coming out of this SCOTUS

I was thinking about this last night. It's great people are stepping up and admitting he attempted an insurrection, but the Republican's will retaliate for the courts trying to take their golden racism lamb away from them. I don't know much about this stuff, so honest question: How likely is it we end up with a patchwork of states where Dems have been thrown off the ballot? Assuming the Supreme Court allows the ruling to stay. I can't imagine them fully ruling Trump is ineligible, but I could see them saying states legislatures can handle things how they want.

Although now that I think about it, didn't they rule against ISL recently? Would they trot that ruling out to say that states can't do what they want and cancel the Colorado ruling? Or am I misinterpreting the ISL ruling?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
So presidents take the highly publicized oath of office just for fun? Not actually bound to said oath?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Asproigerosis posted:

So presidents take the highly publicized oath of office just for fun? Not actually bound to said oath?

The idea is that the president isn't an "officer of the United States", and therefore the presidential oath of office isn't specifically an oath to be an officer.

It's not quite as ridiculous as it sounds. "Officer of the United States" is actually a fairly specific term with specific requirements and conditions, and it's not really clear from the Constitutional text or caselaw whether the presidency falls into that category. It's not really a question anyone's ever had to ask before in hundreds of years of US law.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Uglycat posted:

I agree with earlier analysis in this thread that the Justices (with the excepting of compromised stooges obeying their minder) are unlikely themselves to be sympathetic to or eager to pursue accelerationism.

They all have an interest in the system continuing to exist. If the rules don’t mean anything, they don’t mean anything.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

bird food bathtub posted:

Lol this is the SCOTUS that spent weeks with multiple members during their hearings saying Roe was "settled law" and then loving instantly gutted Roe because that's what they wanted to do all along. They'll rule however they god drat well feel like and law or precedent means less than the morning poo poo I flushed away.

Honestly I think this is the most convincing perspective, sad as that is. The republicans onthe court will mostly decide on the conclusion they want and work backwards from there, the only real question for them is whether they want to detonate Trump and restore the orthodox business Republicans to primacy or not.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Supreme court in X weeks: ah you see this law clearly must have been designed to ensure that 99% of people could still become president after doing a literal insurrection. There is no reason to conclude it refers to anything other than an extremely narrow and specific category of people. For everyone else it's OK. OK to attempt the insurrection, then still be a presidential candidate. Thank you for subscribing to SCOTUS facts

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

What's the specific wording of the 14th amendment? Because I'll laugh my rear end off if the wording is phrased in a way that means that him being the President of the Trump Foundation when he was sworn in means that he was, in fact, an officer at the time he took the oath.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Good God the constitution needs a complete re-write

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Randalor posted:

What's the specific wording of the 14th amendment? Because I'll laugh my rear end off if the wording is phrased in a way that means that him being the President of the Trump Foundation when he was sworn in means that he was, in fact, an officer at the time he took the oath.

This is the relevant section:

quote:

No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any state, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any state legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any state, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

It lists a number of specific posts, but president isn't one of them. The argument is whether any of the general descriptions of categories covers the president.

The post of president is referred to explicitly as an "office" elsewhere in the Constitution, which makes the arguments that the president is not an officer just that much more counterintuitive

(There is also an argument that, per the final clause in the section, Congress did remove such disability and effectively nullify this entire section forever. This is extensively covered in the substack link posted earlier)

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 20, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

haveblue posted:

This is the relevant section:

quote:

No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any state, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any state legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any state, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

It lists a number of specific posts, but president isn't one of them. The argument is whether any of the general descriptions of categories covers the president.

Feel that by the same tortured logic they used to make the Second Amendment as powerful as it is they should lock on to my bolded part and ignore "of any state" or else argue that the United States is also a singular state as understood by sovereignty of states on the world stage.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It's frankly ludicrous to argue that the president is not an officer of the United States within the meaning of that clause. He didn't swear an oath to himself.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well, it's Trump... he might have done.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

Well, it's Trump... he might have done.

:yooge: l'état, c'est moi

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009
Big brained 4-D chess move but could Biden declare retro actively all presidents are and were officers as a way to honor them this upcoming Presidents Day?

The United States Constitution provides that the president "shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the Supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for." (Article II, section 2)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

GloriousDemon posted:

Big brained 4-D chess move but could Biden declare retro actively all presidents are and were officers as a way to honor them this upcoming Presidents Day?

The United States Constitution provides that the president "shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the Supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for." (Article II, section 2)

That would just support the argument that Trump was not an officer on Jan 6, 2021.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Bar Ran Dun posted:

They all have an interest in the system continuing to exist. If the rules don’t mean anything, they don’t mean anything.

"All" implies none of them are paid by enemies of the state (foreign and domestic) to cause maximum harm.

Their opinions should shed light on this.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Uglycat posted:

"All" implies none of them are paid by enemies of the state (foreign and domestic) to cause maximum harm.

Their opinions should shed light on this.

Yeah, I’d agree regarding Thomas and Alito.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Google Jeb Bush posted:

the "officer" argument, if i am understanding correctly, is that officers of the executive branch are anyone subordinate to the president: people who hold office under the president

the president is the head of the executive branch, so he is the one figure that is not an officer

He took an oath of office and the President is the CINC of the US military, QED he is an officer.

Independence
Jul 12, 2006

The Wriggler

Angry_Ed posted:

He took an oath of office and the President is the CINC of the US military, QED he is an officer.

The motherfucking US Constitution posted:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

It's hard to dance around that and say he's not an officer while holding the Office of the President of the United States.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

No, it clearly states that the Office of President is the officer, so actually the oval office is disqualified from the ballot and must be ripped from the white house and taken away.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm pretty sure that if I was the president of a company and was arrested for insider trading, the argument "I'm not an officer of the company, I'm the president," would not fly and I would be going to jail.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Look as someone who is elected to the US Federal Government, you can either be elected as an Officer or a Gentlemen. Obviously as president you are elected to be a Gentlemen, so as to be gentle to those whom over you rule.

Um, although maybe at least one of those terms need to be updated a touch.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

dr_rat posted:

Look as someone who is elected to the US Federal Government, you can either be elected as an Officer or a Gentlemen. Obviously as president you are elected to be a Gentlemen, so as to be gentle to those whom over you rule.

Well that settles it, because Trump is not and has never been a gentleman

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

dr_rat posted:

You're right - officer carries too much police brutality baggage :v:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Independence posted:

It's hard to dance around that and say he's not an officer while holding the Office of the President of the United States.

It’s funny that the framers of the constitution thought that the president’s oath of office was so important that it had to be spelled out explicitly but that hyper-textual readings since then have basically negated any penalty for failing that oath.

I expect that an honest discussion with the framers would have them all saying, “of course violating the oath is grounds for impeachment, dismissal from office and bar from future office! WTF is wrong with you people?”

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Murgos posted:

I expect that an honest discussion with the framers would have them all saying, “of course violating the oath is grounds for impeachment, dismissal from office and bar from future office! WTF is wrong with you people?”

"Wait, this man routinely insults all of you, and no one has challenged him to a duel or beaten him with a cane for his cowardice?"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

Good God the constitution needs a complete re-write

I can't really fault the writers of the Constitution for not considering "a traitorous insurrectionist wins the presidential election completely legitimately, despite all the safeguards built into the system against mob rule" to be a serious scenario that they'd have to account for.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Isn't the president also a military officer during his term in office? Specifically so he can order around the troops properly? That's a military office right there and well people can wear more than one hat, so even if the PRESIDENT is not an "officer" He was also a general at that time per the military chain of command... and thats an office of the USA right there.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

AtomikKrab posted:

Isn't the president also a military officer during his term in office? Specifically so he can order around the troops properly? That's a military office right there and well people can wear more than one hat, so even if the PRESIDENT is not an "officer" He was also a general at that time per the military chain of command... and thats an office of the USA right there.

The president commands the military but is not himself part of the military and doesn't have a military rank; commander-in-chief is his role but that's not the same thing

Main Paineframe posted:

I can't really fault the writers of the Constitution for not considering "a traitorous insurrectionist wins the presidential election completely legitimately, despite all the safeguards built into the system against mob rule" to be a serious scenario that they'd have to account for.

Yeah, there is no statutory defense against "the majority of the country wants this to happen" that we could still call democracy. It's a cultural problem at least as much as it is a political problem

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AtomikKrab posted:

No, the whole point of the President as CINC is that it’s a civilian role overseeing the military.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

KillHour posted:

I'm pretty sure that if I was the president of a company and was arrested for insider trading, the argument "I'm not an officer of the company, I'm the president," would not fly and I would be going to jail.
Wait till you find out why Sarbanes-Oxley exists

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

it also doesn’t matter whether you’re an officer or not for insider trading, just whether or not you have material non-public information

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Conservatives have an interest in destroying the federal government as anything other than a mechanism to transfer public funds to corporations and the wealthy. The conservatives on the court will place that goal above preserving institutions.