Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Johnson's a thoroughly Online guy and it's very visible in TLJ, Knives Out, etc, but Force bloodlines and stuff like that had been discussed to death well before TFA was in production. In a way I suspect that's part of why TLJ had so many shooters: they felt like Johnson was one of them and that this would "fix" Star Wars by adressing the complaints they had about the franchise in general. This wasn't helped by the fact that a lot of the kvetching was about both the Prequels and EU silliness - and that it's become increasingly clear that everything Disney does just ends up repeating the worst of the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Rey's parents are actually the two unnamed ladies who kissed at the end of TROS. (First trans representation in the franchise!) Except in China, where her parents are Asajj Ventress and Sio Bibble.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Snoke was obviously supposed to be plagueis at some point (insert that really awkward footage with ridley, abrams, and kasdan here)

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Would have been really funny if Snoke was Maul after he underwent extreme plastic surgery to remove his tattoos and horns.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Snoke is Bigger Luke with the FOXDIE virus.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Parents are kind of a Thing in Star Wars, at least when you are a main character. The biggest twist in the franchise came from the revelation of family ties, it's kind of understandable that fans would start speculating when they get a protagonist with parents who are noticeably absent. It doesn't really matter that Rey doesn't mention her parents explicitly, the topic of family is brought up in the movie and if you are even vaguely familiar with Star Wars, you are going to expect that to be important later on.

Contrast Rey with Finn, who is either an orphan or has been taken from his family at an early age. Nobody gives a single poo poo about his family. I think he mentions them while bonding with Rey in TFA, but it doesn't lead to him going "drat, I kind of want to find them!" or the audience wondering who they are. They just kind of assumed it had to be Lando and a random lady because Star Wars is racist like that.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I was thinking about how weird it is that Rogue One gives the rebel land forces on Scarif the aesthetic of the US army in Vietnam, including their own Hueys. I wrote it off as the creators wanting the vibe of a Vietnam War movie, but The Creator and Andor showed that neither Edwards nor Gilroy would make US marines the protagonists without thinking through the implications.

Then I remembered it's sort of the same twist as the end of Attack of the Clones. An army arrives to support our heroes in their most desperate moment, but it's an army the audience knows is willing to commit genocide for imperialist interests. The clones are just stormtroopers and even their drop ships have little death star laser pods on them. The rebels forces on Scarif are dressed the same as the military that committed the My Lai massacre and destroyed multiple countries.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Basebf555 posted:

I still just think it's hilarious that they completely panicked after TLJ and decided to bring the Emperor back, then put it in the opening crawl instead of trying for an actual twist. I mean, this is a like the tenth time I've made some version of this same post in here, but we're like 4 years later and I'm still not over it. With the full context of what led to it and how it was handled, I just feel like it was one of the most absurd decisions in movie history. It's actually a pretty rare set of circumstances when you think about it because how many movies even have the option to blow a major potential twist in an opening crawl like that? The unique quality of that Star Wars opening crawl allowed for them to make the ultimate blunder.

Please don't forget that made this big announcement first in Fortnite.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
NecroPalpatine being revealed in Fortnite (and through his laughter in the trailer) makes more sense when you look back at that TFA teaser with Luke's voiceover.

Not only does the TFA ad campaign tell you right away that Luke will appear in the film, but the very first line of the opening crawl is "Luke Skywalker has vanished." They did the exact same thing with Palpatine.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

"Sheev Palpatine has unvanished!"

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The First Order has vanished the Republic

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

YaketySass posted:

Johnson's a thoroughly Online guy and it's very visible in TLJ, Knives Out, etc, but Force bloodlines and stuff like that had been discussed to death well before TFA was in production.
I don't think that these movie are too Online because the writers and directors are too Online. They have people for that. My assumption is that the studio has a bunch of underpaid marketing employees reporting to overpaid marketing experts, and those are the people who get to gangbang the screenwriting and filmmaking process beyond recognition.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't think that these movie are too Online because the writers and directors are too Online. They have people for that. My assumption is that the studio has a bunch of underpaid marketing employees reporting to overpaid marketing experts, and those are the people who get to gangbang the screenwriting and filmmaking process beyond recognition.

Rian Johnson was his own script writer, to close that loop. And we're given to understand that TFA and TLJ had relatively lax oversight from the "experts"

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Rian Johnson was his own script writer, to close that loop.

Yeah, and all of the scripts of his that I've seen have a terminally online feel.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I mean Rian Johson being terminally online gave us the best description of Ben Shapiro
the masturbatin' nazi child

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Rian Johnson was his own script writer, to close that loop. And we're given to understand that TFA and TLJ had relatively lax oversight from the "experts"
Well, obviously not. Somebody made the decision to change a bunch of stuff about TFA in post and I'm sure Abrams wasn't the only person making those decisions.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I think the notion that the Disney was largely hands off during production and very hands on during post explains a lot

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

bunnyofdoom posted:

I mean Rian Johson being terminally online gave us the best description of Ben Shapiro
the masturbatin' nazi child

lmao

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I like knives out but dislike the part where the inspector guy says nobody has read gravity's rainbow. Maybe YOU haven't, Rian.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s his favorite book actually

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I always find funny when people mistake the protagonist words for the author opinions.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 20, 2023

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

YggdrasilTM posted:

I always find funny when people mistake the protagonist words for the author opinions.

Almost as much as when people mistake the antagonist words for the author opinions.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Or like when any character says anything confidently and well they must be totally correct lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Blood Boils posted:

I think the notion that the Disney was largely hands off during production and very hands on during post explains a lot

Yyyep. It's absolutely the worst kind of corporate meddling; micromanaging obsessively over poo poo that doesn't need it while completely ignoring what actually should have oversight.

It seems to be a pattern with Disney too, going with the MCU and some of their other movies where SFX houses struggle to keep up with literal constant fuckery and redoing scenes over and over on random whims with no time to actually polish anything.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

feedmyleg posted:

I have not felt a modicum of desire to revisit TFA since the day I saw it in theaters. There's just nothing there. Especially now that we all know it goes nowhere. But for as flawed as TLJ is, it's got a ton of sequences worth revisiting on their own merits, though I also have little desire to pop that on. I'll take the empty popcorn of the shows any day.

Same pretty much. When I think about rewatching it, I think "what bit would I want to see again?" and just nothing comes to mind. What's a really good scene? A good line? There's nothing there

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Blood Boils posted:

Or like when any character says anything confidently and well they must be totally correct lol

“Jonker said he didn’t plan but then this part had an incredibly elaborate plan” — credited as mistake by dunder headed director Chris Nolan on IMDb’s film goof-em-ups section

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Honestly, one of my favorite parts of the Nolan Batman trilogy is how Bruce takes everything that anyone ever says at face value. The Joker says he is just a barking dog chasing a car? Must be true because he said it! Why would he lie?!?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Bogus Adventure posted:

Honestly, one of my favorite parts of the Nolan Batman trilogy is how Bruce takes everything that anyone ever says at face value. The Joker says he is just a barking dog chasing a car? Must be true because he said it! Why would he lie?!?

Joker never talks to Bruce/Batman about that, he tells Harvey who at that point is quite insane with grief and pain.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Grendels Dad posted:

Joker never talks to Bruce/Batman about that, he tells Harvey who at that point is quite insane with grief and pain.

That's right, my bad

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Putting this goof straight on your imdb page!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

CelticPredator posted:

It’s his favorite book actually

https://www.sfgate.com/movies/article/Knives-Out-Rian-Johnson-Gravitys-Rainbow-14885872.php

Knowing this, I am now puzzled why he does not want to be thought of as an rear end in a top hat for recommending a difficult book to people. A guy in his position should be culturally savvy! There is no shame in it.

YggdrasilTM posted:

Likewise, you should not mistake any of my posts for my opinions.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

2house2fly posted:

Same pretty much. When I think about rewatching it, I think "what bit would I want to see again?" and just nothing comes to mind. What's a really good scene? A good line? There's nothing there

I suppose the first few minutes of TFA are pretty intriguing. We get to see an invasion from the perspective of stormtroopers and showing how terrifying it must be for them to be used as cannon fodder in a war between wealthy space wizards they can never understand. We see one grieving the loss of a comrade, when in all the previous movies they were disposable mooks. It really looked like it was going somewhere with this.

A few minutes later this stormtrooper is whooping and hollering with joy as he turns his guns on the very same child soldiers he was raised with.

Nevermind.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FunkyAl posted:

https://www.sfgate.com/movies/article/Knives-Out-Rian-Johnson-Gravitys-Rainbow-14885872.php

Knowing this, I am now puzzled why he does not want to be thought of as an rear end in a top hat for recommending a difficult book to people. A guy in his position should be culturally savvy! There is no shame in it.

It’s like recommending Terrifier 2 to someone who doesn’t like horror. It’s not fro everyone and sometimes it just rubs em way the wrong way lol

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I suppose the first few minutes of TFA are pretty intriguing. We get to see an invasion from the perspective of stormtroopers and showing how terrifying it must be for them to be used as cannon fodder in a war between wealthy space wizards they can never understand. We see one grieving the loss of a comrade, when in all the previous movies they were disposable mooks. It really looked like it was going somewhere with this.

A few minutes later this stormtrooper is whooping and hollering with joy as he turns his guns on the very same child soldiers he was raised with.

Nevermind.

It becomes very noticably awkward how hard the Stormtroopers get hosed up in TFA. They get ragdolled around comically/brutally in explosions or fly back a hundred feet when the heroes gun them down.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kinda the problem when anything resembling actual arcs and plans gets shredded in post, you end up seeing hints of an actual coherent story that are all the more frustrating for how they've been carelessly discarded.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Grendels Dad posted:

It becomes very noticably awkward how hard the Stormtroopers get hosed up in TFA. They get ragdolled around comically/brutally in explosions or fly back a hundred feet when the heroes gun them down.

It's most pronounced in TFA but through the whole ST the heroes are repeatedly shown having fun killing stormtroopers. Like in many other aspects, they didn't know which of the (at least) two different ways they wanted the movies go, so they did all of them half-assedly.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
With all the strange criticism that the prequels look like video games, nothing will ever top them running through the ship gunning down stormtroopers like an Uncharted game in rise of skywalker.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

There's a slapstickery to some of the violence that's not like the OT, like Rey just whacking Finn in the head with a metal pole.

Also, nerdy quibble: Didn't Chewie shoot people in the OT? I don't remember his bowcaster being like a grenade launcher. If the recoil's the same as any other gun, why doesn't everybody use one?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Captain Jesus posted:

It's most pronounced in TFA but through the whole ST the heroes are repeatedly shown having fun killing stormtroopers. Like in many other aspects, they didn't know which of the (at least) two different ways they wanted the movies go, so they did all of them half-assedly.

I haven’t rewatched in a bit but I’m not sure that many troopers die on screen in TLJ. The scene in the hanger is probably one of the few where we see them die. Except for the royal guards.

Yeah people cheer when they shoot down pilots but idk. It’s a crazy moment okay lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

There's a slapstickery to some of the violence that's not like the OT, like Rey just whacking Finn in the head with a metal pole.

Also, nerdy quibble: Didn't Chewie shoot people in the OT? I don't remember his bowcaster being like a grenade launcher. If the recoil's the same as any other gun, why doesn't everybody use one?

Fan service, see Hans reaction to (finally! Lol) using it