Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I think theyre up a bit actually, from what Ive seen pre pandemic at least. But hiring is WAY down. This time last year I was getting 5-10 LinkedIn offers or messages a day. Now I'm getting 3-4 a week it seems like.

Even internally at my company wages are up but we've froze hiring in a lot of areas.

I dunno we’re hiring like mad but most of the candidates we get are loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Gonna have to bring to my boss that people are messaging me outside my work office hours to get me to troubleshoot their stuff at work. Like, no, messaging me at 9 pm expecting help at 7 am won't work - I won't even see your message in the first place until the next day! I don't check my messages outside of work hours even if I am WFH!

Just kind of really annoyed that people expect me to see their messages at like 7 to 9 PM. Sorry, I turned my stuff off hours ago. Hasn't been an issue yet where people gave me poo poo for me, but I suspect it might become one sooner or later.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Man unless servers or major network services are taking a dump I don’t give a poo poo outside of core hours.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Reoxygenation posted:

Gonna have to bring to my boss that people are messaging me outside my work office hours to get me to troubleshoot their stuff at work.

Why? Keep pretending it doesn't exist. If someone complains, tell them to use official channels, or message during office hours, or whatever is the correct process. If they escalate, your only line is "It was outside working hours." If they say you should respond anyway, either say "no" or negotiate for on-call pay, whatever benefits you most.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Funny you mentioned negotiate for pay because (even if I didn't say it in my previous post), most of the intent of me bringing it up was to indeed tell my boss that if it was in the cards, that we would have to discuss and negotiate the pay for that.

Thankfully, my boss isn't a shithead and agreed with me, especially on the point of Sales writing to me after my work hours and requesting help before my work hours, and basically said : yeah they can get hosed that's on them to check if their poo poo works or not in a timely fashion

Rhymenoserous posted:

Man unless servers or major network services are taking a dump I don’t give a poo poo outside of core hours.

Same, and I don't touch to anything related to our products, so that helps immensely

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
We had a issue over the weekend with a connection to an important vendor regarding cards. It was issues with AT&T in that area, but not on the vendor's network. People were called, a 9am Sunday morning call went up and we eventually found the issue and routed traffic down another carrier. Problem solved.

However, earlier in the call, the Head of Operations was asking why this problem wasn't being handled when it was reported. The vendor detected trouble the previous night, just randomly called some numbers and didn't escalate. As the issue grew, they started calling people farther up the chain at 2am, this person answered the call, fired off an email and went back to sleep.

7am rolls around, now the vendor has called the Ops person there, and he's making phone calls. So he wants to know who why we don't have 24/7 support with whoever is on call. The answer is we don't have 24/7 coverage because they don't want to pay that. We have oncall, which is "just keep a phone handy I guess" and that bonus for on call week? 50 dollars.
If bucko there wants 24/7, its going to be time to raise that.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

make: command not found

Every loving time. Heaven forbid I want to use Linux and build something. There is probably some minimalist code philosophy or license issue so they can't just always include build-essential but it's a cold day in hell when I want to install a new Ubuntu distro and won't ever want to use make.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Is make really essential for most Ubuntu users though? If you're someone who regularly needs to build from source, then yeah, but not all Linux installs need that. I'm not even sure that *most* Linux installs would need or want that.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Heran Bago posted:

Every loving time. Heaven forbid I want to use Linux and build something. There is probably some minimalist code philosophy or license issue so they can't just always include build-essential but it's a cold day in hell when I want to install a new Ubuntu distro and won't ever want to use make.

I haven't built something from source in like a decade+. Why would I want those on a general purpose/use system? That just eats up diskspace.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Reoxygenation posted:

Yeah they can get hosed that's on them to check if their poo poo works or not in a timely fashion

Way back at the ad agency, c. 2005, our most prized possession was an LED projector. It was bright as gently caress, had a VGA connector, and there was a hardshell carrying case. One Thursday, one of the new business people comes down and checks it out. We give it a test and off he goes. Come Tuesday, and I get called into the main conference room.

There's the VP of New Business and two VIPs. We sit down around a corner of the table. Looming behind him, one over each shoulder are the president of the agency, the local shop not the national network, and the Senior Executive Creative Director - North America (the Got Milk guy).

The New Business rear end in a top hat starts ranting and raving about how the projector didn't work, they looked like assholes out there, this cost them a $5 million dollar pitch (we were doing about $100 mil a year) and on and on for five minutes. He settles down, looked me in the eye and said "what do you have to say for yourself?"

I looked him right back and answered "did it work during rehearsal?"

I could see a little bit of his soul die. He didn't move a muscle, it was just in his eyes. After about 20-25 seconds of dead, pin-drop silence, the president says "thanks for coming in mllaneza, we'll take it from here." And I strutted out of that conference room.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

A lot I could say in response to that but I'll just say lol sounds about right instead

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

mllaneza posted:

Way back at the ad agency, c. 2005, our most prized possession was an LED projector. It was bright as gently caress, had a VGA connector, and there was a hardshell carrying case. One Thursday, one of the new business people comes down and checks it out. We give it a test and off he goes. Come Tuesday, and I get called into the main conference room.

There's the VP of New Business and two VIPs. We sit down around a corner of the table. Looming behind him, one over each shoulder are the president of the agency, the local shop not the national network, and the Senior Executive Creative Director - North America (the Got Milk guy).

The New Business rear end in a top hat starts ranting and raving about how the projector didn't work, they looked like assholes out there, this cost them a $5 million dollar pitch (we were doing about $100 mil a year) and on and on for five minutes. He settles down, looked me in the eye and said "what do you have to say for yourself?"

I could see a little bit of his soul die. He didn't move a muscle, it was just in his eyes. After about 20-25 seconds of dead, pin-drop silence, the president says "thanks for coming in mllaneza, we'll take it from here." And I strutted out of that conference room.

I never get tired of this story

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Heran Bago posted:

code:
sudo apt install make

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Fil5000 posted:

I never get tired of this story

I try to space it out on a scale of years, but that was a prompt I couldn't pass up.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I didn't need it on Grandma's Netflix PC or my Steam Deck, but I think it's come up on every other Linux use. Like at this point I'm just glad they include a visual text editor and ability to open .zip files.
Tbf I think Linux Mint comes with it.

Not found. Google it. Remember that it's build-essential, then forget before the next Linux instance.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah I'm not on my Linux machine right now so I couldn't see if that worked or if it was one of the packages where the package name is different from the command name.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

mllaneza posted:

I try to space it out on a scale of years, but that was a prompt I couldn't pass up.

Oh 100%, I absolutely did not mean my reply as a critique, it's just nice to see a story where the business brained guy doesn't manage to bluster his way out of his gently caress up.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If, out of the blue, you are a VAR and send me and someone else on a different team a recurring monthly calendar invite for a 1-hour meeting to discuss our account, I am going to have to do an awful lot of work to convince people that we are still going to do business with you. Don't make me do that work.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

I didn't need it on Grandma's Netflix PC or my Steam Deck, but I think it's come up on every other Linux use. Like at this point I'm just glad they include a visual text editor and ability to open .zip files.
Tbf I think Linux Mint comes with it.

Not found. Google it. Remember that it's build-essential, then forget before the next Linux instance.

If "Install utility software on a new workstation" is too much of a lift, I don't think this is the year of the linux desktop for you. How often are you reinstalling your OS that this is an actual issue?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I feel like this accurately summarizes job hunting in 2023.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is Premium worth it, or is it just extra info to give you more anxiety about the job search process?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

IDK, it gives you access to recommendations where you would be a "top applicant" but it seems kind of iffy. I just sign up for the free month whenever I start looking for a job and then cancel. Although I forgot to cancel immediately this time so I paid for a month.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

CitizenKain posted:

We had a issue over the weekend with a connection to an important vendor regarding cards. It was issues with AT&T in that area, but not on the vendor's network. People were called, a 9am Sunday morning call went up and we eventually found the issue and routed traffic down another carrier. Problem solved.

However, earlier in the call, the Head of Operations was asking why this problem wasn't being handled when it was reported. The vendor detected trouble the previous night, just randomly called some numbers and didn't escalate. As the issue grew, they started calling people farther up the chain at 2am, this person answered the call, fired off an email and went back to sleep.

7am rolls around, now the vendor has called the Ops person there, and he's making phone calls. So he wants to know who why we don't have 24/7 support with whoever is on call. The answer is we don't have 24/7 coverage because they don't want to pay that. We have oncall, which is "just keep a phone handy I guess" and that bonus for on call week? 50 dollars.
If bucko there wants 24/7, its going to be time to raise that.

Hell yeah, gently caress em. We get two or three criticisms a year (generally by the same people) about how support needs to be 24/7 because their poo poo is so important. We run 7am-8pm M-F for support, and people who are important enough know how to reach other important people if poo poo is really broken off hours. We just don't have infrastructure that matters if it's offline on a weekend. So far I've gotten by with just telling people no, but I've got some numbers lined up for what 24/7 would actually cost if anyone finds themselves an executive sponsor, and it's not going to go their way.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

mllaneza posted:

It’s a great story, and I think we’ve all got one like it.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I feel like this accurately summarizes job hunting in 2023.

:smith: I've been casually looking for another job to get ahead of the game. My contract has finite duration if they don't convert me to direct hire which I don't think is going to happen.

It's been a depressing slog.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm actually seeing a whole pile of jobs on LinkedIn where I'd be in the first 10 applicants. There's been a slight shift in the market where everyone wanted to get people in cheap to do work fast before Christmas and it looks like the market has said "lol, nope" to them.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are you looking at in-person jobs? I live in a small mountain town of about 5k people 2 hours from Denver so I'm looking exclusively remote, which doesn't help my odds.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Nope, 100% remote tech jobs in the UK. I keep hearing complaints that nobody is applying for the jobs, and the people they do get are wildly unqualified. I could tell them what the problems are, but they don't want to hear about the low pay they're offering and the other part of the problem is NDA'd sooooo... :shrug:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
My team was dissolved and I was transitioned to another, while keeping the same good paycheck.

My new desk with new team isn't even a desk, its effectively a jumbled countertop between two cubicles. It's amazing how something as simple as not having my own desk has soured me on the new job. I'm not asking for an office, just give me a a little corner that I can call mine.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

mllaneza posted:

This story could be on every page in this thread, and I’d read it every time. Delicious!

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
The projector started smoking in my old building's nice conference room today. Fire department came, blame is placed on an unauthorized lightbulb. I'm glad it's my old building.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I’m somewhat surprised that projectors are still a thing for conference rooms. We moved to big screen TV’s a long time ago.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Rhymenoserous posted:

I’m somewhat surprised that projectors are still a thing for conference rooms. We moved to big screen TV’s a long time ago.

Depends on room size. A 6x4m video wall is far more expensive than a professional grade projector.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

Depends on room size. A 6x4m video wall is far more expensive than a professional grade projector.

Sure but I’d argue at that point it’s no longer a conference room.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Edit: nah

Ratmtattat fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Dec 20, 2023

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

We use em a ton in conference rooms on campus. We rig em to mirror the rooms PC or desktop and gg.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

This is IT adjacent and it's pissing me off: I worked for the feds a lifetime ago and was part of the OPM breach. A decade later and they are finally settling the class action lawsuit and I just got an email saying I would be getting $700. Yay, I guess, except I would gladly pay somebody double that not to have dealt with years of identity theft after the following information leaked to China/Russia/DPRK/whoever the gently caress:

-Everywhere I had ever lived
-Everywhere I had ever gone to school
-Everywhere I had ever worked
-SSN and poo poo obviously
-Names and addresses of family members
-Names and addresses of friends I'd had for 10+ years
-My fingerprints

Also that email came in like an hour after I learned Comcast had just leaked a bunch of my poo poo into the void. Feeling salty y'all.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Oh poo poo I was part of the OPM breach too, wheres my money!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Oh poo poo I was part of the OPM breach too, wheres my money!

Did you submit a claim before the deadline? https://www.opmdatabreach.com/ If you didn't, you're SOL at this point unfortunately.

Also I logged into my Comcast account just now to reset my password and learned my bill is going up $4 next month too. Just great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sirotan posted:

Also I logged into my Comcast account just now to reset my password and learned my bill is going up $4 next month too. Just great.

You're just getting dunked on left and right.