Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Ahab's Call of the Wretched Sea is incredible production-wise, especially the drum work. I've been listening to it for years but recently sat down for it LOUD on a buddy's system and heard small things I haven't before. The way they manged to layer in so many huge ants is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Seriously, that second Arseny / Infectious Jelqing split is so good. Can't believe I slept on this release until a few days ago. And the CDs are sold out, so my collection will remain incomplete.

https://infectiousjelqing.bandcamp.com/album/slam-shawtys

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5PusnkYWrY

this is cool and dumb

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Kaiho posted:

Bought myself a decent set of speakers and am looking for records with good (not Transilvanian Hunger) production to test them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Osqf4oIK0E8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR_rPd_ufK4

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Got on a random Type O Negative kick tonight and forgot how badass Peter Steele's voice was, especially live.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

henpod posted:

New In Flames. This one's a real banger, they seem to be going back to their Clayman sound which is awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoUgqwMX9oo

Shoutout to this post, which is still the best one in this thread, even 5 years later.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

hearing about in flames just makes me wonder when heaven shall burn is gonna drop a new album

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Well Bruce Dickinson released his first song off his new album, his first as a solo artist in 18 years.

Accident of Birth- The Chemical Wedding- Tyranny of Souls up there for strongest 3 album string in metal history imo.

Well this one....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yulfvacpvTc

I don't know what to think (besides the awfully comical acting/story etc.). Still has Roy Z, but no Adrian Smith.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Got on a random Type O Negative kick tonight and forgot how badass Peter Steele's voice was, especially live.

Type O Negative was so loving good and unique. I'm sure other bands can imitate the music, but Steele's voice was just loving perfect.

Come to think of it, I've rarely found anything that scratches that exact same itch. Is there anything the thread can recommend?

Shoutout to this post, which is still the best one in this thread, even 5 years later.

I like to think everyone clowning on this song and this post specifically is what inspired The Halo Effect to form and thus shame In Flames into actually releasing some decent music again.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

henpod posted:

They seem to be going back to their Clayman sound which is awesome

Thread title plz

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Come to think of it, I've rarely found anything that scratches that exact same itch. Is there anything the thread can recommend?

Crash Test Dummies

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Snowy posted:

Crash Test Dummies

Hmm

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

So I'm just listening to the Halo Effect for the first time and holy poo poo is it ever taking me right back to high school when the only music I had in my car was a cassette tape with Colony on one side and Tokyo Showdown on the other. Weapons-grade nostalgia right there, goddamn.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Modal Auxiliary posted:

So I'm just listening to the Halo Effect for the first time and holy poo poo is it ever taking me right back to high school when the only music I had in my car was a cassette tape with Colony on one side and Tokyo Showdown on the other. Weapons-grade nostalgia right there, goddamn.

gently caress yeah, i saw them live here in a tiny venue and it loving whipped rear end. It was so much fun. Their music just makes me smile and feel that exact same way as you. its weapons grade nostalgia for anyone that was like 14-18 when Colony dropped.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Beseech is the closest thing I can think of.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Type O Negative was so loving good and unique. I'm sure other bands can imitate the music, but Steele's voice was just loving perfect.

I like to think everyone clowning on this song and this post specifically is what inspired The Halo Effect to form and thus shame In Flames into actually releasing some decent music again.

Pallbearer are not the same genrewise but give me similar vibes (and did a cover of Love You To Death to boot)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Describing this as remotely like the Clayman sound is a real head-scratcher, honestly

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Vulture Culture posted:

Describing this as remotely like the Clayman sound is a real head-scratcher, honestly

:thejoke:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

the responses were great

kumba posted:

i will never forgive you for this

tote up a bags posted:

You absoloute gently caress

Fingat posted:

You legend, gently caress you, lol. Wow is this bad, I'm going back to the Thou I was just listening to.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Not many Goth Metal bands left releasing new stuff any more.
Only new album I've heard this year was Deathstars newest and it was pretty mid.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

A Pale Horse Named Death, a project of some surviving Type O members, is good stuff

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Orphans of Dusk

https://youtu.be/vORnG8aOy7c?si=j2dJoX7dDgTZH0TS

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Carnivore?

I always thought Woods of Ypres had a Type O feel.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Twitching Tongues have their moments, they're basically a Carnivore tribute band

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
Unto Others is a lot less gloomy goth rock, but might scratch your Type O itch

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
There's a lot of bands from the European gothic metal scene, especially in the early/mid '90s, that capture the musical feel, but nobody catches Peter Steele's vibe of living your entire life as a giant shitpost, cruising from gatecrash to gatecrash until you die

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Radio Paranoia posted:

Unto Others is a lot less gloomy goth rock, but might scratch your Type O itch

Unto Others rules and should be listened to regardless

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

If you like type o negative you’ll probably like Guttural Secrete, Cephalotripsy, Condemned, Devourment, and other slam death metal. Oh, and Bolt Thrower.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

This is good stuff https://silvaofficial.bandcamp.com/album/forgotten-sanctuary

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

this reminds me of amon amarth meets arghoslent

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Ahab's Call of the Wretched Sea is incredible production-wise, especially the drum work. I've been listening to it for years but recently sat down for it LOUD on a buddy's system and heard small things I haven't before. The way they manged to layer in so many huge ants is incredible.

Oooh this is a good idea. Lots of low end obviously but a lot of space and air between that rumble, even the vocals and the leads/cymbals.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

With apologies to your neighbors:

https://youtu.be/JmajFz_dRyQ

This worked really well. After the wall of sound of the second piece comes in and you get through the choruses, there's some really nice sections including the guitar solo before the chorus/bridge that has an airy quality.

Count Thrashula posted:

I'd probably do something with a shitload going on like this

https://youtu.be/Z9cSiwyU6so?si=Hy7BGU_PMl0YeRF1

"A shitload going on" is right. Fun to annoy neigbhors with though.

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 20, 2023

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Kaiho posted:

Bought myself a decent set of speakers and am looking for records with good (not Transilvanian Hunger) production to test them out.

I could've sworn I replied to this earlier, but I can't see my post, so I guess I didn't. Anyways:

Helloween's Chameleon and Master of the Rings both have very nice, clear but punchy production.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

You should all post your top tens of the year now because I want to listen to the good poo poo I've missed.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

gonna work on mine this weekend

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
HELLRIPPER

and the rest

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Stortregn - Finitude
Horrendous - Ontological Mysterium
Katatonia - Sky Void of Stars
Nuclear Power Trio - Wet rear end Plutonium
Xoth - Exogalactic
Moonlight Sorcery - Horned Lord of the Thorned Castle

Really wanted to like the new Kalmah and Scar Symmetry but ended up bouncing off of them. Didn't bother checking out the new In Flames or Insomnium because I lost interest in both bands ages ago but I heard that both albums are a nice return to form. Stortregn is probably my AotY even though the Horrendous album is a more impressive effort overall.

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 21, 2023

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Deathlove posted:

HELLRIPPER

and the rest

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

You should all post your top tens of the year now because I want to listen to the good poo poo I've missed.

you got it mate

Horrendous - Ontological Mysterium - a step up from their already fantastic previous material by going more in an early tech death/prog direction a la cynic or atheist. stands with some of the best albums in that genre. imo, an instant classic.

Panopticon - The Rime of Memory - i loved ...and again into the light, it was my favorite album of 2021. this is tighter and darker than that, and i think it's better. would be an easy aoty if horrendous hadn't stepped up.

Pest Control - Don't Test the Pest - the quickest way to my heart is a great crossover thrash album, and this has some of the best riffs since iron reagan's the tyranny of will.

Hellripper - Warlocks Grim & Withered Hags - james mcbain took hellripper's existing black speed formula and turned it into something greater with a little bit of melodic black metal and nwobhm influence. a huge step up for an already great act.

Baroness - Stone - best thing they've done since blue album by having a bit of an off-kilter vibe with spoken word bits and poo poo.

Godthrymm - Distortions - i usually find peaceville three-type death/doom meandering but this has fantastic riffs and really stuck with me.

Necropanther - Betrayal - you like blackened thrash metal? this is the poo poo.

Lamp of Murmuur - Saturnian Bloodstorm - lamp's more fun when they're letting their weird goth influence fly but this is immaculate immortal worship.

the not metal section:
The Keening - Little Bird - first time dark folk's stuck with me.

Cam Girl - s/t - the most fun rock album of the year.

Southern Cassowary fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 21, 2023

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Seraphic Entombment - Sickness Particles Gleam
Moonlight Sorcery - Horned Lord of the Thorned Castle
Sulfuric Hatred - s/t
Trespasser - Ἀποκάλυψις
Disimperium - Grand Resurgence Upon Despotic Altars
Dødheimsgard - Black Medium Current
Horrendous - Ontological Mysterium
Thantifaxath - Hive Mind Narcosis
Fossilization - Leprous Daylight
Nithing - Agonal Hymns

Not in any order

For non-metal, the King Gizzard album was very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

This is fun and cool, and definitely very extremely Type O sounding.