Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Reoxygenation posted:

I have made so much god damned money.

What are you doing to make so much money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Quite literally selling everything related to the festival I can - presents, diamonds, weapon drops, anything that isn't account bound.

The strike (secret lair) is like 1.3-1.5g a pop for something you can do while watching a show. Is it a good use of your time? Probably less so than other sources of gold farming, but it is god damned braindead.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Reoxygenation posted:

Quite literally selling everything related to the festival I can - presents, diamonds, weapon drops, anything that isn't account bound.

The strike (secret lair) is like 1.3-1.5g a pop for something you can do while watching a show. Is it a good use of your time? Probably less so than other sources of gold farming, but it is god damned braindead.

I've mixed this into my days. There's nothing I really need from the vendors so it's pretty easy money. A couple decent drops haven't hurt either, selling things for 6-7g.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I finished 6 Legendary Runes a couple weeks ago. I like having a goal in mind so I was poking around the wiki looking for what legendary I should make next. Sigils seem kind of a bad proposition because there's not that many that are expensive and even with those you usually need only one for a spec. So I remembered that most of what will be needed for the new legendary armor is already known. Ok, I can start casually gathering that. I already do rifts and convergences all the time.

My dudes, the ecto cost. 600 for the skins you need to unlock the collection for the precursors (and there's still one more set of skins yet to be revealed!). But ok, those count for all three weights not so bad.

Each piece of armor needs 600 more. 3600 ectos for a complete set of one weight. Absolutely bonkers! The most I've ever had was like 1200 and I shot through those making The Dreamer and then my runes this year. You can't even really farm ectos, except I guess RIBA and maybe Drizzlewood dropping tons of yellow unidentifieds? Can you come out ahead buying the unids and salvaging them yourself?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Probably cheaper to just buy boost for the raid armor :v:

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Mr. Neutron posted:

Probably cheaper to just buy boost for the raid armor :v:

unless carry costs have come way down lol

if you wanna learn to raid though it's very cheap and easy, especially for the first weight

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Aside from shelling out the gold to buy stacks, I think ecto is just something you accumulate from doing content (via unid gear). You can maybe exchange currencies for salvageable gear to speed it up. During the dungeon rush, I made a decent amount converting tokens into rare armor into ecto. Not sure if other currencies have decent exchange rates.

If you're sitting on stacks of cheap t5 mats, you can always craft rares. Usually ends up being a net gain over how much it sells on the TP (after Evon's cut)

Edit: I checked, and the cheapest rare you can craft is about 18s worth of mats. It should be the rare krait shield, with either assassin (claw) or valkyrie (fang) stats. Each one uses 20 mithril, 12 logs, and 15 of the trophy mat.

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 19, 2023

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Buying and selling materials on the trading post as necessary is intended design, to remove gold from the economy via the fee, move people back and forth to different farm content as new sinks come out that crank up the value of different materials, or just let you play whatever content for gold farming in general. The only things you need to farm specifically are account-bound materials.
Sometimes particular numbers get goofy with stuff like Mystic Coin prices but you have to look at things as a whole when it comes to fungible material costs, e.g. not counting the collection armor skins, the materials for a piece of open world legendary armor come to about 408g average, vs. raid armor's 385g.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Humerus posted:

I finished 6 Legendary Runes a couple weeks ago. I like having a goal in mind so I was poking around the wiki looking for what legendary I should make next. Sigils seem kind of a bad proposition because there's not that many that are expensive and even with those you usually need only one for a spec. So I remembered that most of what will be needed for the new legendary armor is already known. Ok, I can start casually gathering that. I already do rifts and convergences all the time.

My dudes, the ecto cost. 600 for the skins you need to unlock the collection for the precursors (and there's still one more set of skins yet to be revealed!). But ok, those count for all three weights not so bad.

Each piece of armor needs 600 more. 3600 ectos for a complete set of one weight. Absolutely bonkers! The most I've ever had was like 1200 and I shot through those making The Dreamer and then my runes this year. You can't even really farm ectos, except I guess RIBA and maybe Drizzlewood dropping tons of yellow unidentifieds? Can you come out ahead buying the unids and salvaging them yourself?

ive got like 2 bank tabs full of ectos ive been sitting on forever..... thats going to be enough right?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Meskhenet posted:

ive got like 2 bank tabs full of ectos ive been sitting on forever..... thats going to be enough right?

That should be enough for all three sets and even more

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Meskhenet posted:

that's 15k ectos lol

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I wanna play soul beast

Yes this defeats the purpose of a ranger wanna fite about it?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Buying and selling materials on the trading post as necessary is intended design, to remove gold from the economy via the fee, move people back and forth to different farm content as new sinks come out that crank up the value of different materials, or just let you play whatever content for gold farming in general. The only things you need to farm specifically are account-bound materials.
Sometimes particular numbers get goofy with stuff like Mystic Coin prices but you have to look at things as a whole when it comes to fungible material costs, e.g. not counting the collection armor skins, the materials for a piece of open world legendary armor come to about 408g average, vs. raid armor's 385g.

I tend to use the TP as a last resort, both in buying and selling. I'm often pretty gold poor, but material rich. Or potentially material rich. I've got an alt holding stacks and stacks of unidentified gear (almost 300g worth on the TP). Every now and then I'll do a mass opening and salvaging, but that just turns my inventory into stacks of basic mats. Now that I remember about crafting rares to eat up mithril/elder, though, I might see how much untapped ecto I've been sitting on.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Meowywitch posted:

I wanna play soul beast

I'll fight you. Untamed finally clicked for me this week, and I've been absolutely addicted to it. Since the loss of Fervent Force, I thought I'd never touch my ranger again. The build I just discovered is what I've always wanted from a pet class.

https://i.imgur.com/2E9HKiu.mp4

I'm just sad that I didn't play much during Festival of the Four Winds, because the weekly achievement weapon skins they added this year are perfect for my ranger's aesthetic. At least I have the hammer. And I'm actually using the Wayfarer's Henge I worked so hard for.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

On a bad day I get 50-100 ectos doing absolutely fuckin nothing but the bare minimum of meta events (Dragonstorm, convergence, maybe a Hot meta or two) and a couple of other things that are not very intensive.

Yeah it's a lot of ectos, but if you just do stuff casually like a convergence here or there, couple of weekly rift hunts, you should line up the amount of essences with what you need in terms of ectos for a set of armor. Though honestly the extras you need in terms of collections JUST to unlock the right to make the armor does feel excessive (you need extra currency, gifts of whatever and another kryptis essence)

If you play a lot, raid armors are a no brainer, but for more casual PvE players that don't raid but might have a lot of resources laying around, I don't think it's particularly bad. Though it also makes it the only legendary armor you can credit card swipe on, since you can buy most of it on the TP, including essences (keys + amalgamated essences)

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Reoxygenation posted:

On a bad day I get 50-100 ectos doing absolutely fuckin nothing but the bare minimum of meta events (Dragonstorm, convergence, maybe a Hot meta or two) and a couple of other things that are not very intensive.

Yeah it's a lot of ectos, but if you just do stuff casually like a convergence here or there, couple of weekly rift hunts, you should line up the amount of essences with what you need in terms of ectos for a set of armor. Though honestly the extras you need in terms of collections JUST to unlock the right to make the armor does feel excessive (you need extra currency, gifts of whatever and another kryptis essence)

If you play a lot, raid armors are a no brainer, but for more casual PvE players that don't raid but might have a lot of resources laying around, I don't think it's particularly bad. Though it also makes it the only legendary armor you can credit card swipe on, since you can buy most of it on the TP, including essences (keys + amalgamated essences)

you can swipe raid armors p trivially :ssh:

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I admit defeat in this debate of ideas

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Meowywitch posted:

I wanna play soul beast

The Snowcrows Power Soulbeast build is fun. Hit stuff with a hammer and burst big power damage with axe skill 5. If you use a one handed sword, you can jump all over the place while making serpent noises.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Yeah I figured ectos just kind of come to you. I guess too when I actually stop and realize that since I started playing again about 2.5 years ago, I've made: Aurora, Vision, Astralaria, Aurene's Tail, The Dreamer, and now the 6 Legendary Runes. And anyway I've got 450 ectos in the bank still. It's meant to be a long term goal I guess lol.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Truga posted:

that's 15k ectos lol

gw2 efficiency tells me 16,438 in total.

id swap then for unusual coins, thats going to be my bottle neck with the armour i think. 250 a piece, ive currrently got 600.

I only need to do a heavy set, and 2 light pieces (because gently caress wvw tickets)

And is there a way to pay for gw2 efficiency that isnt garbage, paypal wants me to log in, i dont have a login, im not making one

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Adhesive Gamin posted:

the materials for a piece of open world legendary armor come to about 408g average, vs. raid armor's 385g.

Huh, that doesn't sound too bad.
Seeing it needs 16k ectos and 18k essences and a whole lot of other stuff makde me not look into getting it at all, but if the total cost is about 2400g it sounds doable. According to gw2eff i have a bit more than that in sellable stuff in my bank.
Where did you see the 400g figure?

Reoxygenation posted:

That sounds absolutely bizarre to me so either you are playing a lot more than you think or i am playing a lot less than i think. I have a grand total of 700 ectos, that is my total gained from all my playing since PoF. (minus whatever i have spent on crafting things, so another 200 or so)

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Ineptitude posted:

That sounds absolutely bizarre to me so either you are playing a lot more than you think or i am playing a lot less than i think. I have a grand total of 700 ectos, that is my total gained from all my playing since PoF. (minus whatever i have spent on crafting things, so another 200 or so)

You either don't play much or you don't salvage your rares. I don't think I get 50-100 a day, but certainly more than that in a week when I'm actually playing.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Ineptitude posted:

Where did you see the 400g figure?

Using some numbers from fast-farming-eu and gw2efficiency crafting calculator -

9 Clovers - 64g
Gift of Condensed Might/Magic - 152g or 84g - 118g (average)
Gift of Research - 2500 notes @ 94c/ea., 3g in other reagents - 26g
75 Stabilizing Matrices - 24g
600 Ectos - 175g

not counted are the 50 provisioner tokens, but both raid and open world legendary armors use those in equal amounts apparently, and I was mostly trying to compare prices between the two. Other legendary armor pieces use both condensed gifts per piece and 15 clovers, which is where most of the price difference is made up from not needing the ectos.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Still feels like the raid armor is just going to be straight up cheaper and easier once you factor in the precursor steps. 3 Tiers to work through and each tier requires 3000 research notes, 6 gifts, 300 ectos and 6 clovers and six meta event currencies.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Okay, maybe? But here's the only response to that I need: gently caress raiding.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Ineptitude posted:

Realistically if you have all the expansions / LW, you can get a decent amount of unids rares a day, plus the chance at rares from blues / greens.

Usually on a day I play I do : Tequatl, Chak Gerent, Octovine, Dragonstorm, Convergence (about 2 hours and a half total) and if I feel real good, I add Pinata, Skywatch, Amnytas and I leech the tail end of a Drakkar meta (about an extr ahour and a half). If you land on a Chak or Octo map where people played, you can run around and loot caches, as well as do hero points (the loot adds up from HoT metas!) which are usually done by other people while waiting, so you net a decent amount of extra loot, as well as some from Treasure Mushrooms.

I don't even do Fractals because I hate it, and I should do Strikes more often, especially since I am a moron and blew most of my blue crystals on stuff, cause I forgot that I should spend those on summoning stone for money weekly.

e: I mention my time in hours but realistically like more than half of that is spend afk because of forced waiting time - before octovine, after gerent, waiting in front of a convergence, pinana, etc, is all time where I just like watch a show or do anything else waiting for stuff to happen. So it's not even like a hardcore 4 hours of playing

Reoxygenation fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 20, 2023

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

El Fideo posted:

Okay, maybe? But here's the only response to that I need: gently caress raiding.

raiding is good and fun. the trick is finding a prog/training group that's fun to hang out with and mutually growing more knowledgeable and skilled together instead of expecting instant gratification.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I've been soloing HoT HPs on my ranger lately because I can and it's fun. Those have a pretty high chance of rewarding rare unids for relatively little time.

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

raiding is good and fun. the trick is finding a prog/training group that's fun to hang out with and mutually growing more knowledgeable and skilled together instead of expecting instant gratification.

Therein lies true cost differential. Working on SotO armor doesn't demand that you log on at specific times and play with specific people. You can always be making progress towards it during a play session. Someone going for raid armor might waste a lot of time trying to find the right group or playing with the wrong one.

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 20, 2023

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I've had a lot of fun raiding via LFG, but I'm on the EU server where things are a bit different. And there has been the occasional terrible group I suppose.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Expansions just went on sale today. All 3 up to EoD for $20 is a steal. Add another $30 for the complete LS suite.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Using some numbers from fast-farming-eu and gw2efficiency crafting calculator -

9 Clovers - 64g
Gift of Condensed Might/Magic - 152g or 84g - 118g (average)
Gift of Research - 2500 notes @ 94c/ea., 3g in other reagents - 26g
75 Stabilizing Matrices - 24g
600 Ectos - 175g

Ok yeah i can see that. Almost makes open world legendary armor sound affordable.

Im not sure if legendary armor is the best choice for me though. Its a gigantic effort for at most 3 of my characters. Maybe getting some legendary accessories would be more beneficial? They cost quite a lot more gold per slot (about 1300) but can be used on all characters.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The solution is getting more alts of the same class :v:

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

orcane posted:

The solution is getting more alts of the same every class :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Well yeah that's unavoidable if you apply my suggestion to all armor classes :)

Also get an ultrawide monitor to show more of them on the login screen.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Legendary armour in incredible, even with "just" the base number of character slots. I cannot recommend it enough

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
It is, but I suggest you go for accessories first.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Sorry if this is a repost, but this video by Masel is awesome, especially if you're experimenting with new classes/specializations and looking to provide boons. Condition Alacrity Scourge has been fun to learn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kQ8EmoOv7c

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Wait, they added weekly WvWs at some point and they actually give substantial rewards? Maybe finishing Conflux (and even WvW leggy armor) won't be too bad.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the substantial reward is 10 tickets per weekly (90 total)

it's a potential ~25% increase from the 365 you get for maxing out your skirmish track, but the 8 tower defense events are a paiiiiiiiiiiiiiin if you don't either play a shitton to get them on the fly, luck into some dumb blob that can't kill the lord for 30 minutes, or look out for them specifically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

gandlethorpe posted:

Wait, they added weekly WvWs at some point and they actually give substantial rewards? Maybe finishing Conflux (and even WvW leggy armor) won't be too bad.

You also get skirmish tickets for keep captures and defenses. And maybe for gold on tower capture and defense? WvW rewards are actually decent these days.