Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

mycot posted:

If you've already forgotten the dramas of early 2023, there was a temporary gimmick website with a url along the lines of didtheyplaythewizardgame.com that would track if a streamer streamed Hogwarts Legacy (I think by using Twitch categories). Now you can call this melodramatic or virtue signal-y but people acted like this was leftist kiwifarms.

The biggest crime on the eyes about this is how this felt the equivalent of that picture of the guy who looked like Daniel Ibbertson but with a propeller beanie holding a copy of Cat With a Hat with a "triggered" expression. Oh great, the people who care the most about this are people who make videos looking like they're about to blow their brains out in the car or in a darkened living room bc a triple A videogame didn't have enough graphics on it, aka, the most boring of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That is actually how I look irl when a game has bad graphics.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Mr E posted:

Specifically, I'm begging Patrick to stop because I appreciate his takes but think the skits are some of the worst things I've ever seen. Especially when it became 10+ parts of videos long + a movie.

and the scary thing is patrick probably has some of the better video essay skits :stare:

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 20, 2023

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Terrible Opinions posted:

Initially picking up a game to play sure. Going on a big hissy fit about people told not to play it though? That's just outrage merchant/engagement farming poo poo, no different than react streamers pretending to care about whatever the most recent topic in the drama sphere is.

Yeah, the psychology of people who throw tantrums at people judging them for supporting questionable products or creators is wild, mostly because it doesn't have any sort of actual ethical or philosophical justification to support it. I think it partially comes from a particular way of looking at the world I've noticed some people have: A type of moral essentialism where being a "good" or "bad" person is not the result of that person performing "good" or "bad" deeds but is instead the result of some innate good or bad essence of that person. It's a framework that makes it very easy to claim moral superiority without having to actually do anything.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Kunster posted:

The biggest crime on the eyes about this is how this felt the equivalent of that picture of the guy who looked like Daniel Ibbertson but with a propeller beanie holding a copy of Cat With a Hat with a "triggered" expression. Oh great, the people who care the most about this are people who make videos looking like they're about to blow their brains out in the car or in a darkened living room bc a triple A videogame didn't have enough graphics on it, aka, the most boring of people.

Um...what? I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself, so you need to go back to the beginning and post this picture. Probably so I can send it to him and laugh.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

and the scary thing is patrick probably has some of the better video essay skits :stare:

It's so, so theater kid, I almost give him a pass. It's obviously done because Patrick loves to do them, not as some kind of tea leaf reading of the algorithm. It doesn't appear to be pandering.
I don't enjoy it, and the entire trailer for the holiday special worked to repel me. It seems to me like mostly harmless, if annoying, fun.

I appreciate how Erik rolls his skits and sponsored ad reads into one.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

It's so, so theater kid, I almost give him a pass. It's obviously done because Patrick loves to do them, not as some kind of tea leaf reading of the algorithm. It doesn't appear to be pandering.
I don't enjoy it, and the entire trailer for the holiday special worked to repel me. It seems to me like mostly harmless, if annoying, fun.

yeah, that's why i said his was one of the better ones. they're obviously not great but i find them far more tolerablr than the kind contrapoints, philosophy tube and some more news do

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Kim Justice posted:

Um...what? I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself, so you need to go back to the beginning and post this picture. Probably so I can send it to him and laugh.

I'm so sad I didn't keep it, but the guy did legit look like Slopes on a propeller beanie.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Has anyone ever been thrilled to see any skit anywhere?

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

TheMightyBoops posted:

Pro ZD is pretty funny

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

TheMightyBoops posted:

I'm going to go with Scaredy Cats whenever Bobby Duke shows up. It turns out the trick with skits is to lean so hard into a really stupid joke it eventually swings around and becomes transcendental.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I will hoot and holler any time Retropals Alex gets to do his jester or dog voice on stream.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

mycatscrimes posted:

Pro ZD is pretty funny

I guess if you’re actively seeking out skits you could find good ones, skits are ProZD’s thing.

Otherwise no skits.

Ad skits are worse than ad reads.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I like skits and improv and improv skits

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
When most of a youtuber's videos are less than two minutes long and they play every character on screen, you have found the good skits

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the skit that's lodged deepest in my mind is the "kill jester" bit from limmy's adventure call segment. something about it is comedically perfect and i can't explain it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzKo1JPNf4s

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

KingKalamari posted:

I'm going to go with Scaredy Cats whenever Bobby Duke shows up. It turns out the trick with skits is to lean so hard into a really stupid joke it eventually swings around and becomes transcendental.

The star of the channel? That Thoughtslime came up with while they were high on marajuana edibles?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
smh if youtubers were banned from skits we'd have never gotten hbomberguy's REAL masterpiece, Serious Lore Analysis 3: CTRL+ALT+DEL

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

the skit that's lodged deepest in my mind is the "kill jester" bit from limmy's adventure call segment. something about it is comedically perfect and i can't explain it

it helps that limmy's an actual comedian and those skits are clips from his TV show

kilogram of feathers is one of the all-timers

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TheMightyBoops posted:

When watching SCTV, yes.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

egg tats posted:

smh if youtubers were banned from skits we'd have never gotten hbomberguy's REAL masterpiece, Serious Lore Analysis 3: CTRL+ALT+DEL

i found that video to be quite cringe, personally.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

TheMightyBoops posted:

I love anytime Danny Gonzalez does a skit that starts simple enough but something happens and it ends up getting away from him. Like it feels almost unintentional

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Macaluso posted:

I love anytime Danny Gonzalez does a skit that starts simple enough but something happens and it ends up getting away from him. Like it feels almost unintentional

I also enjoy danny’s comedy songs

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

to be clear, my criticism on skits is mostly for video essays. if a channel is focused on comedy, that's one thing. but if you're trying to do serious, longform critique/analysis, and then cram in some comedy segment, most of the time it comes off as unfunny and self-indulgent

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

In that case my defiant statement is that I like Münecat’s skits

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Skits are bad outside of actual comedy shows and it's weird they didn't die off years ago.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TheMightyBoops posted:

Controversially, I vastly enjoy the CalebCity skit far more than the sponsor acknowledgements at the end of the video.

mycatscrimes posted:

When most of a youtuber's videos are less than two minutes long and they play every character on screen, you have found the good skits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGzb9o6AraU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Adding a skit with a beer that I pour into a coffee mug with a heavy head that i never sip to my next video essay.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Wishing away all skits on a monkey's paw, but that leads to a dark future timeline where youtubers have to stretch out content by reviewing McDonald's Happy Meal toys between video chapters.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Runa posted:

it helps that limmy's an actual comedian and those skits are clips from his TV show

kilogram of feathers is one of the all-timers

and now he's an online creator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ckvZztsFnw

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Grassy Knowles posted:

Adding a skit with a beer that I pour into a coffee mug with a heavy head that i never sip to my next video essay.

That not a skit, that’s a gag.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

TheMightyBoops posted:

That not a skit, that’s a gag.

It’s a skit if it’s 20 minutes long and I have three wig changes

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Wishing away all skits on a monkey's paw, but that leads to a dark future timeline where youtubers have to stretch out content by reviewing McDonald's Happy Meal toys between video chapters.

this implies i'm not already choosing to watch happy meal toy reviews. which is wrong. so really the question is, why are YOU not watching happy meal toy reviews?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Arivia posted:

this implies i'm not already choosing to watch happy meal toy reviews. which is wrong. so really the question is, why are YOU not watching happy meal toy reviews?

Jealousy over the toys I don’t have, judgement of those who lack the toys I do have.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dubXDJ8iUc

he's the funniest person on twitch bar none.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

saw this video the other day. this guy's great

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

wait...this is the kilogram of feathers guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3bEh-PEk1g

:lmao:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Arivia posted:

You're part of the problem. Don't be shocked when biomechanical mutant jumps out of a time portal to exterminate you.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

You're part of the problem. Don't be shocked when biomechanical mutant jumps out of a time portal to exterminate you.

When Cable comes for me I'll be ready, I have one of those little fry container transformers. It'll save me.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Dongicus posted:

:hmmyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW3ZS-Y3X4k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dongicus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dubXDJ8iUc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IzVGjWy070