Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Intruder posted:

I guess it depends on your definition of "winning" a trade. Like Sabathia was never going to reup with Cleveland so getting Brantley for him is a win, but if you compare their two careers post-trade it's more of a push

Same thing with Randy Johnson. Yes Randy was much better than Garcia and Guillen but he was gone anyway

The Red Sox traded Nomar for a worse shortstop and a glove-first first baseman and won the World Series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

live with fruit posted:

The Red Sox traded Nomar for a worse shortstop and a glove-first first baseman and won the World Series.

I still can't comprehend that trade.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
https://twitter.com/ByRobertMurray/status/1737578831157084330

It surprised me a little that the Brewers offered arbitration to Houser and Taylor in the first place so yea give me the TJ guy. It’s funny Houser was traded today since I always thought of him as a lovely James Shields, who was just brought up in this thread as well as was part of the also mentioned Carlos Gomez trade. Sinker/curveball guy who gives up dingers but eats innings, ah yea. These types of guys always make me sad because they have value when they are pre-arb and have minor league options but quickly lose value once they hit arb and become camp guys.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Mets stock of Crow prospects really taking a hit in recent years.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Popete posted:

Mets stock of Crow prospects really taking a hit in recent years.

You might even say it’s been murder-ed

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Eeew, Bob!

https://x.com/Pirates/status/1737495824857268279?s=20

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Bob Nutting can go make sweet love to a table saw.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
bob nutting and pirates still sucking

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Hand Row posted:

https://twitter.com/ByRobertMurray/status/1737578831157084330

It surprised me a little that the Brewers offered arbitration to Houser and Taylor in the first place so yea give me the TJ guy. It’s funny Houser was traded today since I always thought of him as a lovely James Shields, who was just brought up in this thread as well as was part of the also mentioned Carlos Gomez trade. Sinker/curveball guy who gives up dingers but eats innings, ah yea. These types of guys always make me sad because they have value when they are pre-arb and have minor league options but quickly lose value once they hit arb and become camp guys.

I don't think you can say a guy with a career high of 140.2 IP "eats innings"

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

tadashi posted:

I still can't comprehend that trade.

I remember and it was a lot of ambivalent feelings about Nomar since he was constantly hurt.

Also Orlando Cabrera learned a secret handshake from every team member so was he worse?!

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Julio Cruz posted:

I don't think you can say a guy with a career high of 140.2 IP "eats innings"

It was more in the context of a depth guys where you just need someone to throw the drat ball and eat a few innings.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Inspector_666 posted:

One of the wildest things about the Mookie trade is that people will still defend it and say Mookie was dead set on testing the FA market!

Iirc, it was something Mookie talked about a fair bit, and it was in keeping with how he'd conducted his entire career to that point.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Otoh you could just agree to pay a lot of money to the fan favourite borderline generational talent you drafted and developed in his age 27 season.

OR, Verdugo!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

https://www.si.com/mlb/angels/news/angels-reportedly-worried-about-anthony-rendons-attitude-ml0802

"Angels reportedly worried about Anthony Rendon's attitude"

oh loving word?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm normally not a big fan of players signing big contracts with no intention of delivering their best efforts, but on the other hand, it's hard not to cheer on a man who's stealing money from Arte Moreno.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
Perhaps the Angels medical staff should apply leeches in an attempt to rebalance his humors.

If Anthony Rendon I sure as gently caress wouldn’t trust their medical staff. Look at how they take care of Trout.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I'll set the over/under for Rendon ABs next season at 100.

Which side you got?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are we including ABs in his backyard playing with his kids?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

mdemone posted:

https://www.si.com/mlb/angels/news/angels-reportedly-worried-about-anthony-rendons-attitude-ml0802

oh loving word?

I am equal parts sad for you and entertained by the fiasco lmao

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Yeah the most shocking thing I've seen in all my years following MLB is Boston trading Betts. I don't think there is a close second.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Bregor posted:

I am equal parts sad for you and entertained by the fiasco lmao

At this point I've looped back around to finding it entertaining as well. I will be hate-watching next season and rooting for some of the young guys to do well so they can get traded.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I still have not returned to being a Red Sox fan since they traded Mookie Betts. I'm not raging mad about it anymore, but why the gently caress should I trust the owners at this point? They had a guy who's the best position player the team had produced since at least Yazstremski, in the prime of his career, and had more than enough money to pay the man. So they traded him as part of a salary dump. gently caress John Henry.

e: right now Betts is 10th in right fielder JAWS and 4th in WAR7, he's 16th in career WAR at age 31. The guy is already a worthy hall of famer and gonna end up being on the verge of inner circle if he has a graceful decline phase. And you trade him for Alex loving Verdugo? Because he's gonna cost you some money to extend? gently caress all the way off. Henry and company got spoiled by Big Papi not having a huge market elsewhere and having a career shape that didn't ever land him a giant contract. And they got cheap because they got bored.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 21, 2023

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

mdemone posted:

Which side you got?

I'll take over. I bet it's 120.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
There were a lot of rumors that Betts didn't want to stay in Boston and would have bolted at the end of the year. The trade was awful but it got them out of having to pay Price and give Betts a new contract, which is perfect for their current cheapskate mentality. So they will just justify it by saying Betts was going to leave anyway and they got to dump David Price

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's hard for me to think of Boston as this like Milwaukie type ownership because I grew up on them being 1A to the Yankees in terms of big market teams.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

I still have not returned to being a Red Sox fan since they traded Mookie Betts. I'm not raging mad about it anymore, but why the gently caress should I trust the owners at this point? They had a guy who's the best position player the team had produced since at least Yazstremski, in the prime of his career, and had more than enough money to pay the man. So they traded him as part of a salary dump. gently caress John Henry.

I dunno, Wade Boggs is pretty drat close if not better. He was mind boggling in the mid-late 80s. FWIW, looking at first 6 years or first 5 full years, bWAR and bWAA both rate them dead even.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s really rough as a fan when a team trades away a HOF talent. I watched that happen with us trading Miguel Cabrera for a bunch of prospects that mostly didn’t pan out, or they didn’t do anything with our team

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Nodoze posted:

There were a lot of rumors that

read: the ownership group leaked a lot of bullshit to Boston reporters

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Bregor posted:

read: the ownership group leaked a lot of bullshit to Boston reporters

Probably yeah, knowing the way they operate.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Nodoze posted:

There were a lot of rumors that Betts didn't want to stay in Boston and would have bolted at the end of the year. The trade was awful but it got them out of having to pay Price and give Betts a new contract, which is perfect for their current cheapskate mentality. So they will just justify it by saying Betts was going to leave anyway and they got to dump David Price
If Betts wanted to leave by that last year it was because ownership had already destroyed their relationship with him by not offering a real extension sooner and by taking him to arbitration.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Not wanting to play in Boston is understandable for 10000s of reasons

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

howe_sam posted:

Iirc, it was something Mookie talked about a fair bit, and it was in keeping with how he'd conducted his entire career to that point.

I mean, sure, but then he signed an extension!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
even if Mookie was dead-set on leaving I can’t see any way that the Dodgers’ offer was the best return they could have gotten

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Betts wanting to go to free agency while in Boston and then signing an extension in LA seems pretty reasonable.

Betts to Boston: I would like $365 million please
Boston: No, gently caress you
Betts: I don't want to play here any more
<Trade>
Betts to LA: I would like $365 million please
LA: OK

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Try this One Weird Trick to retaining Hall of Fame talent!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Betts has always claimed he was negotiating with the Red Sox when they traded him and was planning to live there through his entire career.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

mdemone posted:

Which side you got?

Typically an over/under is a number impossible to obtain like 99.5 since you can’t have half an at-bat. The way you just set it up everyone could lose if Rendon gets exactly 100 ABs.

Actually everyone losing is expected for Angels baseball so I’ll take that.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

mdemone posted:

oh loving word?

Sam Blum Of The Athletic posted:

Beyond his health, the team has had concerns about his attitude. He often hasn’t communicated information about his injuries to the media. And he believed his shin bruise last year was a fracture, while the team’s doctors all said otherwise.

The mystery of the Rendon's shin

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Popete posted:

The mystery of the Rendon's shin

He did his own research

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato