Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

rojay posted:

Would also like a trip report.

I've been playing through slowly, I'm up to about chapter 5 i think? Dragons eye dungeon, whichever that is. I"m enjoying it, but found some of the options to be less fun, like the armor giving DR, and some of the rebalanced monster stats, they made fights much more difficult so i turned those options off. On normal difficulty even a boss having a +20 bonus to attack seemed fairly unreasonable for Shernical. Rolled stats boosts the PC character power a bit, but not enough to overcome that much it seemed, but then, I am also bad at video games, so ymmv. The new spells seem all right, nothing crazy over powered but i don't use magic a whole ton anyway. They've definitely improved the IWD2 base experience, it is a bit of a hacky 3rd edition but still good fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

rojay posted:

Would also like a trip report.

I did have a chat with someone who had played it about the experience system. I never liked that way it was done in vanilla, and that seems to have been improved.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Thanks. I played through about half of IWD2 a few years ago, and I could stand to do it again before long.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
drat. Played a bit of Tof and enjoying it so far but I seem to have encountered a gamebreaking bug. Any multiclass npc I recruit I am unable to level up. I click the level up button but it does nothing. Trying to change their class/kit via the customization option also does not work. Strangely I can level up single class characters just fine and if I change their class to single class I can level them fine too.

I might download Shadowkeeper or whatever the equivalent is and see if I can manually edit them up to being level 1/1 and see if it lets me level them from there.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
EEkeeper is the current equivalent to shadowkeeper, assuming you're playing the EE version (this applies to all beamdog releases of IE games).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

drat. Played a bit of Tof and enjoying it so far but I seem to have encountered a gamebreaking bug. Any multiclass npc I recruit I am unable to level up. I click the level up button but it does nothing. Trying to change their class/kit via the customization option also does not work. Strangely I can level up single class characters just fine and if I change their class to single class I can level them fine too.

I might download Shadowkeeper or whatever the equivalent is and see if I can manually edit them up to being level 1/1 and see if it lets me level them from there.

Yup, I'm running into the same issue, and some experimentation suggests that yeah, if you set their level to 1/1 they'll be able to level on their own after that, but you'd also have to edit in their proficiencies and such too.

What a mess. I love the ideas here but I really am beginning to think this mod needs more time in the oven.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

docbeard posted:

Yup, I'm running into the same issue, and some experimentation suggests that yeah, if you set their level to 1/1 they'll be able to level on their own after that, but you'd also have to edit in their proficiencies and such too.

What a mess. I love the ideas here but I really am beginning to think this mod needs more time in the oven.

Yeah I just threw up a thread on it in g3. I can confirm that like you if I use EEkeeper to set the multiclass characters to 1/1 I can then level them after that. The proficiencies seem to be hosed up in that case though. I'm not sure if anything else would need to be assigned in EEkeeper.

You can then kick them from the party and re-recruit them and they'll get assigned the right xp total (if you're using the customization component).

I too am starting to wonder if it might be better holding off a month or two on this mod so that DavidW can work out some of these big bugs. I guess for this particular one there's a workaround at least.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah I just threw up a thread on it in g3. I can confirm that like you if I use EEkeeper to set the multiclass characters to 1/1 I can then level them after that. The proficiencies seem to be hosed up in that case though. I'm not sure if anything else would need to be assigned in EEkeeper.

You can then kick them from the party and re-recruit them and they'll get assigned the right xp total (if you're using the customization component).

I too am starting to wonder if it might be better holding off a month or two on this mod so that DavidW can work out some of these big bugs. I guess for this particular one there's a workaround at least.

Yeah I also posted a thread there but I suspect yours will be more useful since you don't have any other mods installed. I certainly don't expect him to diagnose anything from my unholy abomination of a meganod install.

Normally I'd say just assign proficiencies in EEKeeper or NearInfinity and call it good but he does some weird under the hood stuff with proficiencies in this mod so there's a chance of something else breaking. Still worth experimenting I guess.

It sounds like he's not going to have a chance to work on it much til after New Years too.

Oh well, back to bed for now.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

docbeard posted:

Yeah I also posted a thread there but I suspect yours will be more useful since you don't have any other mods installed. I certainly don't expect him to diagnose anything from my unholy abomination of a meganod install.

Normally I'd say just assign proficiencies in EEKeeper or NearInfinity and call it good but he does some weird under the hood stuff with proficiencies in this mod so there's a chance of something else breaking. Still worth experimenting I guess.

It sounds like he's not going to have a chance to work on it much til after New Years too.

Oh well, back to bed for now.

Thinking of just playing bg ee without that component. It might mean later npcs miss out on feats, but I’ll just deal with it. By the time I get to bg2 (if I even get there, these games are long and free time is limited) hopefully things will be better sorted.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I'm thinking of skipping all the multi-class/kit overhaul functionality in the mod and using only some of the more a al carte options like the improved paladins and, most of all, the ability score rework. The new low-level feat system is attractive too, but is another source of potential bugs to be ironed out and I want to start playing.

Air Skwirl posted:

EEkeeper is the current equivalent to shadowkeeper, assuming you're playing the EE version (this applies to all beamdog releases of IE games).

NearInfinity is a more up to date save editor than either of the keepers at this point. EEKeeper does stuff that can break games eventually, though rarely.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 19, 2023

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

rojay posted:

Thanks. I played through about half of IWD2 a few years ago, and I could stand to do it again before long.

I recommend joining the Discord as my knowledge is very limited.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

If the only mods I play with for BG and BG2 are the NPC chatter and unfinished bizzle mods, how does Dragonspear UI ++ work with those? Because that UI looks gorgeous and I'd like to give it a try. Has anyone else used it?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

If the only mods I play with for BG and BG2 are the NPC chatter and unfinished bizzle mods, how does Dragonspear UI ++ work with those? Because that UI looks gorgeous and I'd like to give it a try. Has anyone else used it?

Works great with pretty much every mod I've tried, even those that muck with the UI. It's only Talents of Faerun that has one issue with it from the mods I've used.

TOF is in beta and, way more importantly, is using UI tricks that the EEs introduced that no other mods have used yet, or to this extent.

Which is all to say you should use DUI++, it's fantastic.

Also look at Bubb's Extended Spell Menu, it's a fantastic UI improvement.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, I really really like Dragonspear UI++, and I'm really looking forward to the designer's new UI mod being a little more complete, because it looks amazing.

For those few mods, it should work nicely.

Unrelated, I did a bit more testing of the issue Ginette Reno and I are having, and it persists with a completely pristine BG1 EE install (just that mod and DLCmerge, both with and without the NPC customization components). I'm gonna play around after work with NearInfinity to see what the best way to work around it is.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

docbeard posted:

Yeah, I really really like Dragonspear UI++, and I'm really looking forward to the designer's new UI mod being a little more complete, because it looks amazing.

For those few mods, it should work nicely.

Unrelated, I did a bit more testing of the issue Ginette Reno and I are having, and it persists with a completely pristine BG1 EE install (just that mod and DLCmerge, both with and without the NPC customization components). I'm gonna play around after work with NearInfinity to see what the best way to work around it is.

I haven't tried manually adding the prof points yet via EEkeeper. I assume that would be fine, but maybe it'd be a dangerous assumption to make.

The characters seem to level just fine once I set them to 1/1 via EEkeeper otherwise, so if that's the workaround for now I can live with it since I only have to do it once.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

I haven't tried manually adding the prof points yet via EEkeeper. I assume that would be fine, but maybe it'd be a dangerous assumption to make.

The characters seem to level just fine once I set them to 1/1 via EEkeeper otherwise, so if that's the workaround for now I can live with it since I only have to do it once.

Yeah, it SHOULD be fine, I just know he does some under-the-hood stuff with proficiencies (since they're what he uses to set subraces for example) so I'm a little nervous.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I've manipulated proficiencies pretty heavily with NearInfinity in a past full run, using NI instead of any of the mods that let you level up NPCs in the game itself. No problems there. I'd even say that NI save editing of NPC builds is far less likely to break something that using any of the NPC level up mods, each of which has to do some contortion or the other to fake level ups.

But I still think your concern about how it would interact with ToF's own revised profs is valid.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

v1ld posted:

Works great with pretty much every mod I've tried, even those that muck with the UI. It's only Talents of Faerun that has one issue with it from the mods I've used.

TOF is in beta and, way more importantly, is using UI tricks that the EEs introduced that no other mods have used yet, or to this extent.

Which is all to say you should use DUI++, it's fantastic.

Also look at Bubb's Extended Spell Menu, it's a fantastic UI improvement.

Thank you! I’ll have to look up Bubb’s Extended Spell Menu, as I’ve never heard of that one.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

ToF has explicit checks for clashing components from Tweaks Anthology, so I'm definitely loading it after TA. TA being unaware of ToF right now and more likely to overwrite something by mistake.

chaosapiant posted:

Thank you! I’ll have to look up Bubb’s Extended Spell Menu, as I’ve never heard of that one.

Some images and explanation of the mod in this old post.

It requires the EEex mod but that brings some cool functionality of its own, letting you hit Shift over a character to see the effects active on them. Like so:

That last is more useful if you're playing with mods like SCS, but still nice to have.

E: EEex and Bubb's Spell Menu are both very stable these days, ignore the concerns in that old post.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 19, 2023

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Okay I give up. Talents has some fantastic stuff in it but it absolutely needs some more time to bake, especially when it comes to playing nice with other mods.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Feel like a large part of solo ironman BG1 as a caster is making sure the has wand of fire=true flag is activated.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

docbeard posted:

Okay I give up. Talents has some fantastic stuff in it but it absolutely needs some more time to bake, especially when it comes to playing nice with other mods.

Agreed. But I'm not doing the Ironman like y'all are about to. Going to skip the new kits and multi class kits and do an EET run with it. Figure/hoping I can do NI surgery if I need to while updating fixes mid-run - mostly because I have faith in DavidW's abilities.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

Cythereal posted:

After chewing on this...

As Valerie's original maker, her BG2 component is 80 to 85% finished. There's a bit more dialogue I'd need to write, but the big obstacle is scripting - triggering the romance dialogue that happens on rest, finding plot-dependent variables and triggers to govern things like Valerie commenting on the PC's relationship with the Cowled Wizards, etc. This is something I never really learned how to do originally and certainly don't know how to do now, plus whatever else EE might require.

Should anyone be seriously interested in trying to finish the job on Valerie, I can finish writing what dialogue is needed and send you everything I have for her BG2 material.

Hope you don't mind, I asked in a decent sized bgee/bg2ee discord if anyone has experience with this sort of thing.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Thank you again! I finally got the mod installed.

It’s sort of hard to see the point of the bloodrager or militant wizard if they don’t get any additional apr, since there are more options for dual and multiclassed fighter mages than ever.

Similarly, how do people feel about swashbucklers? I think Davaeorn or someone on YouTube absolutely trashed them, but I want to play a versatile character that doesn’t cast arcane spells (since I’ve already done f/m, f/m/t and m/t) and swashbuckler cleric looks potentially fun. I really do wish they could get an extra half attack from proficiency, though.

You should try the rogue rebalancing mod, http://avenger981.github.io/doc/readme_rr.html

or the artisans kitpack, https://artisans-corner.com/the-artisans-kitpack/

to make some small changes to the swashie. Both give it some new buffs.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Finnish Flasher posted:

Hope you don't mind, I asked in a decent sized bgee/bg2ee discord if anyone has experience with this sort of thing.

At this point, I don't mind at all.

I loved Baldur's Gate for its era, and had a lot of good experiences with that modding community. A lot of bad ones too, to be sure. But if there's anyone out there with the technical ability and interest, I'm happy to hand off Valerie to someone who would see it done.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Got tired of these long installs with ToF and SCS and wrote a shell script to automate the whole thing, including InfinityLoader stuff: https://gist.github.com/v1ld/107bb29dddad5493c74e36a41296639c#pcdeck-install-script

Can be run from the Deck as is or from a WSL2 Linux prompt on Windows.

I'll probably add some more stuff to detect what files were installed/modified and then package it up into a 7z file for easy archiving/sharing. Mod installs are much faster on my desktop/laptop than on the Deck, so I zip up the results and then copy over.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

v1ld posted:

Got tired of these long installs with ToF and SCS and wrote a shell script to automate the whole thing, including InfinityLoader stuff: https://gist.github.com/v1ld/107bb29dddad5493c74e36a41296639c#pcdeck-install-script

The long installs do suck rear end, especially when you go through it and then there's a problem with the installation so you have to uninstall certain components to re-install others.

ToF is cool and I did finally get it working (for now) but my experience with having to re-install it several times is definitely putting me off beta testing future mods lol. Better to wait for a stable and mostly bug free experience I suppose.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

The long installs do suck rear end, especially when you go through it and then there's a problem with the installation so you have to uninstall certain components to re-install others.

ToF is cool and I did finally get it working (for now) but my experience with having to re-install it several times is definitely putting me off beta testing future mods lol. Better to wait for a stable and mostly bug free experience I suppose.

I wrote that script partly because I can then fire it off and continue working (from home) while it chugs away in the background without needing any interaction from me. As written any failure will cause the script to stop all further installs, which is convenient.

Glad I installed EET - being in Candlekeep brings all of the good feels.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, I normally use Project Infinity to automate installs, but I don't think that's an option for Linux/Steam Deck installations, so that script seems very cool!

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Are the Beamdog forums dead for anyone else? Ran into a bug where Raelis wasn't in the planar prison after I beat the warden and google brought me to a promising sounding thread that never loaded even after 5 minutes.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Flowing Thot posted:

Are the Beamdog forums dead for anyone else? Ran into a bug where Raelis wasn't in the planar prison after I beat the warden and google brought me to a promising sounding thread that never loaded even after 5 minutes.

I've definitely noticed them being a little shaky. Usually hitting reload will clear it up.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah, you may have to hit reload a few times, but it will load eventually.

E: The server is randomly returning a valid but empty HTML document: "<html><head></head><body></body></html>". No other errors when you get the blank page. So something is fubar on their end for sure.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 21, 2023

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Giving your melee protection from magical energy then have 3 mages drop skull traps on the front lines? Pretty good it turns out.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Flowing Thot posted:

Giving your melee protection from magical energy then have 3 mages drop skull traps on the front lines? Pretty good it turns out.

Give them protection from fire and sit in some incendiary clouds too

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Flowing Thot posted:

Wait until those your mages can drop a spell sequencer with 3 skull traps. That's north of 40d6 damage per mage.

:getin:

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Can a CN Anomen be in the same group as Hexxat and Dorn?

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

voiceless anal fricative posted:

Wait until those your mages can drop a spell sequencer with 3 skull traps. That's north of 40d6 damage per mage.

:getin:

Yeah I do that with Edwin already when I really need something dead, my sorc doesn't know it yet and I don't have a spare copy for Jan / he isn't high enough level.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Finnish Flasher posted:

isn't CN anomen kind of crappy? grab viconia instead.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

Arivia posted:

That's not what I was asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Finnish Flasher posted:

No, he'll still attack them unless you mod out the conflict

Arivia posted:

He's fine, he just misses out on the bonuses from the "good" option which I can't remember exactly but it's a bunch of xp and some stats. It's not like base anomen is bad though.