Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Can't have any Accidents Per 1k Drivers if there aren't 1k of your cars on the road!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Lol

3 dead car brands have the lowest rates? Ya don't say

Yeah, I did get a chuckle from that.

Stutz drivers are the safest, they have 0.001284 accident per 1000 drivers, while LaSalle drivers have a much higher rate (MORE THAN DOUBLE) at 0.003754 accidents per 1000 cars.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'm guessing if they're looking at personal insurance those numbers exclude fleet vehicles, but a decent fraction of Uber drivers are renting Teslas and that must absolutely drive up accident numbers.

Apparently Tesla rental for Uber costs around $800, a week, at least in the South.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sab669 posted:

Can't have any Accidents Per 1k Drivers if there aren't 1k of your cars on the road!

Rural/poor America is still running all of those ragged. I see all of them all the time.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Sab669 posted:

What a beaut :allears:

I always said the only way to make a Multipla look even better is to inject it with botox

I mean you laugh but modern CUVs and SUVs would look exactly this goofy if it wasn't for all the specific design tricks to draw your eyes away from the fact the size of them is awkward as gently caress visually. Stuff like fake exhausts and big plastic diffusers that do nothing, extra lights fitted a foot or more under the main ones, huge grilles and fake venting, lower half of the car painted black and cinched up towards the back to make the car less visually heavy...

This ugly piece of poo poo is at least honest about itself.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You heard it here first: car design is basically fraud if u think about it

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Are you mad that the car is wearing makeup?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Goons. Never change. :allears:

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Ram dethroned by superior German engineering alcoholism.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Other cars would look that bad if they looked that bad. :hmmyes:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I mean you laugh but modern CUVs and SUVs would look exactly this goofy if it wasn't for all the specific design tricks to draw your eyes away from the fact the size of them is awkward as gently caress visually. Stuff like fake exhausts and big plastic diffusers that do nothing, extra lights fitted a foot or more under the main ones, huge grilles and fake venting, lower half of the car painted black and cinched up towards the back to make the car less visually heavy...

This ugly piece of poo poo is at least honest about itself.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

You've gotta fully round out the lower part of the bumper around the fog lights though

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Honestly the lower one looks better.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Have to concur. That looks so much nicer.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

Honestly the lower one looks better.

That's because deep down inside you love the jelly bean Taurus.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Reminds me of the late 90s mercury cougar now.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Just a few hours left to get your entry in for The Sheep Game!

Click our mission patch to play today!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I still have a Saturn at 260k miles and I see soooo many on the road. Only the Saturn versions though, not the Opel badge engineered stuff or the Chevy badge engineered stuff. First gen Vues and SLs and poo poo all over the place.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

News: Daihatsu has to stop all vehicle shipments in Japan and export markets thanks to improper crash test standards.

quote:

A third-party panel it has set up identified 174 new counts of misconduct across 25 vehicle test items in addition to those already discovered, with the oldest one dating back to 1989, Daihatsu said, adding that it reported the findings to the transport ministry.

The number of vehicles affected by improper testing expanded to 64 models, including all 11 models the automaker currently sells in Japan, such as the Rocky compact sport utility vehicle and the Copen minivehicle.

Among the affected vehicles sold overseas are the Xenia in Indonesia and the Axia in Malaysia, which are sold under the Perodua brand. The 64 models also include those supplied to Toyota, Mazda Motor Corp. and Subaru Corp. for sale under their brands, as well as those whose production has already ended, it said.

Daihatsu also said some of the models may not meet safety standards as their doors could become hard to open from the outside in the event of an accident. There has been no report of accidents resulting from the safety test irregularities, it added.

Views: This follows after Toyota’s truck maker Hino has had to stop selling some models after emissions data falsification was found and announced in 2022. Yikes.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I still have a Saturn at 260k miles and I see soooo many on the road. Only the Saturn versions though, not the Opel badge engineered stuff or the Chevy badge engineered stuff. First gen Vues and SLs and poo poo all over the place.

I still see Cavaliers on the road. After owning a last gen model, I’m surprised they’re not all drink cans by now.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Full Collapse posted:

I still see Cavaliers on the road. After owning a last gen model, I’m surprised they’re not all drink cans by now.

I saw a first gen cavalier at the grocery store the other day and my eyes nearly fell out of my head.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I saw a Sky this morning on my commute to work.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I saw a first gen cavalier at the grocery store the other day and my eyes nearly fell out of my head.

J-bodies go back to a RWD platform, so that’d be a hell of a spot.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Full Collapse posted:

J-bodies go back to a RWD platform,

Um, no. Two of the J bodies inherited names from the RWD H body but the Cavalier wasn't one of them.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Q_res posted:

Um, no. Two of the J bodies inherited names from the RWD H body but the Cavalier wasn't one of them.

I swear I remember some goon who did long form write-ups of GM cars and the first Cavalier was RWD.

This was back when Fleetwood75 posted a lot.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The Cavalier was only ever a J Body and the J body was only ever FWD.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Edmunds bought a new Chevy Blazer EV. After only 2 months, it already has more problems than the Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio that Car and Driver had a few years back:

quote:

As of this writing, our Blazer EV has 23 different issues that need fixing, more than a few of which we consider serious. The car has been at the dealer for two weeks so far, and we still don't know when or how the fixes, repairs or updates will be implemented. The dealership has told us that an engineer from GM and a technician from a different dealership have been working on the Blazer, but we haven't heard specifics on what it is they're working on and still don't have an estimate of how long it will take until everything is resolved.

GM is struggling to produce and sell their new EVs; through Q3 2023, GM has only sold about 6500 BEVs on their Ultium platform.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Godzilla07 posted:

Edmunds bought a new Chevy Blazer EV. After only 2 months, it already has more problems than the Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio that Car and Driver had a few years back:

GM is struggling to produce and sell their new EVs; through Q3 2023, GM has only sold about 6500 BEVs on their Ultium platform.

Holy poo poo, if that's standard for a new car to be provided to a reviewer i don't want to know what's going to be a bad one.

Scrungus
Nov 21, 2022

SlowBloke posted:

Holy poo poo, if that's standard for a new car to be provided to a reviewer i don't want to know what's going to be a bad one.

They bought it off the lot

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Godzilla07 posted:

Motor Trend's most recent Lyriq sounds like it was a mess too: https://www.motortrend.com/news/2024-cadillac-lyriq-suvoty-review/

Any idea what the BEV3 platform uses for a central computer? Because the Blazer problems sound like an overheating CPU and/or bad RAM. I mean, I'd hope that entire component would be modular, and could just get swapped out completely.

Unless those all really are problems with the car, and not false positives, in which case, big oooof.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Blazer just seems like a loving mess tbh...

https://twitter.com/GaytonaUSA/status/1737181142376132721?t=NBAWN1IJ_9tx_z0fNXpfjQ&s=19

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

This thing is doing the same as my overheating computer did in the early 2000's

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I feel like auto makers are kind of shooting themselves in the foot with their whole approach to EVs where they must all be Tesla-alikes with way too much software and “different because the future” decisions that throw out perfectly good and well-proven designs. It’s really no surprise then that GM, famous for their high quality software engineering, is churning out turds.

A lot of the same crap is leaking into regular cars, too, but seems like every EV on the market is trying to reinvent every wheel and be whiz-bang futuristic at the cost of… well everything. Complexity, reliability, usability, and cost of ownership.

For the promise of how much simpler EVs could be compared to ICE, they sure find a thousand unnecessary ways to poo poo them up instead.

We went through something similar with hybrids like 15-20 years ago when they all had to be weird statement pieces instead of just making typical cars better — which now many cars are hybrids and you’d never know it. Please just do the same with EVs.

I’m very bullish on EVs over the coming years but the current crop is largely disposable trash.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 21, 2023

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
yeah beyond the teething problems with any new design/manufacturing process they seem to kinda suck in some seemingly unnecessary ways but I'm not totally sure

Gonna be even harder to move the things if they spend a ton of time in the shop on top of every other ask being made of people who've gotta buy a car

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Just for the record I’ve had my Alfa QV since September and almost 7k miles and it’s been 100% problem free so far.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Guinness posted:

For the promise of how much simpler EVs could be compared to ICE, they sure find a thousand unnecessary ways to poo poo them up instead.

First gen Ioniq is almost the perfect commuter car IMO. It just needs a bit more sound deadening.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

davecrazy posted:

Just for the record I’ve had my Alfa QV since September and almost 7k miles and it’s been 100% problem free so far.

Congratulations on jinxing yourself!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

davecrazy posted:

You absolute fool. The universe is always listening.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

GM doing a great job showing us their software is a better solution than CarPlay / Android Auto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Guinness posted:

I feel like auto makers are kind of shooting themselves in the foot with their whole approach to EVs where they must all be Tesla-alikes with way too much software and “different because the future” decisions that throw out perfectly good and well-proven designs. It’s really no surprise then that GM, famous for their high quality software engineering, is churning out turds.

A lot of the same crap is leaking into regular cars, too, but seems like every EV on the market is trying to reinvent every wheel and be whiz-bang futuristic at the cost of… well everything. Complexity, reliability, usability, and cost of ownership.

We went through something similar with hybrids like 15-20 years ago when they all had to be weird statement pieces instead of just making typical cars better — which now many cars are hybrids and you’d never know it. Please just do the same with EVs.

I’m very bullish on EVs over the coming years but the current crop is largely disposable trash.

I just want a car that looks like it came from the 1980s, but have a modern efficient engine. gently caress infotainment.