Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Tiggum posted:

Wait, what? If someone asks you what your job is, it's illegal to say "mailman" unless you actually are? "Forklift operator"? No problem. But if you say you're a postman, that's a crime?
Yes?

Title 18 US Code sec. 912, “Whoever falsely assumes or pretends to be an officer or employee acting under the authority of the United States or any department, agency or officer thereof, and acts as such, or in such pretended character demands or obtains any money, paper, document, or thing of value, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.”

Like it'd probably be "safe" if you just claimed to be USPS at a bar or something but actual federal impersonation is absolutely a federal crime

"Stolen valor" is a whole thing for the military because people pretend to be military to get free drinks, discounts, clout, whatever, but if you pretend to be military to get onto a military base you're going to prison unless you're really good at it.

stringless has a new favorite as of 03:05 on Dec 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Tiggum posted:

Wait, what? If someone asks you what your job is, it's illegal to say "mailman" unless you actually are? "Forklift operator"? No problem. But if you say you're a postman, that's a crime?

Tiggun, I’ve never been wrong on these forums and I’ve especially never been wrong when I capitalize things to make a point

NEVER

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

There was a comics writer some time ago who claimed to have been an Army Ranger or something like that, going so far as to write about his memories of parachuting into Panama or some poo poo in the intro to one of his books. He hung out on a web forum I was on and one day some actual military folks turned up and were about as polite and respectful as you'd expect, and of course, people rallied around him because why would our cool comics army buddy lie? One of his more strident defenders was all I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW i'VE FILED A FOIA REQUEST TO GET HIS MILITARY RECORDS AND THEN I WILL SHOVE THE RESULTS IN ALL YOUR FACES FOR DARING TO BESMIRCH MY FRIEND'S HONOR and I'm guessing it's obvious how this all turned out.

Anyway I don't think he went to jail or anything.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

FFT posted:

Title 18 US Code sec. 912, “Whoever falsely assumes or pretends to be an officer or employee acting under the authority of the United States or any department, agency or officer thereof, and acts as such, or in such pretended character demands or obtains any money, paper, document, or thing of value, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.”
Ah, so actually no: "pretends to be ... and acts as such". You can say you're a postman or an army man or whatever as long as you're not trying to deliver mail or shoot foreigners or whatever.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Ah, so actually no: "pretends to be ... and acts as such". You can say you're a postman or an army man or whatever as long as you're not trying to deliver mail or shoot foreigners or whatever.
Yeah, I quickly edited to add the "it'd probably be 'safe' if you just claimed to be USPS at a bar or something" part

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Contribution:

Checking out The Finals because it looks like it might be a neat shooty game with a slightly different concept and I watched the GameSpot Firearms Expert video on the guns that came out earlier today.

There are many reasons why a game might want me to include my date of birth when creating an account, but it'd be nice if the year menu scroll didn't start at 2023 :ohno:

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I, too, have a wife.

Unrelated pet peeve, when you’re required to scroll through a list for a year instead of using the keyboard of your desktop PC like a civilised human being.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Bargearse posted:

I, too, have a wife.

Unrelated pet peeve, when you’re required to scroll through a list for a year instead of using the keyboard of your desktop PC like a civilised human being.

Extra points if it's for your date of birth and the scroll starts at 2023

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

InediblePenguin posted:

Extra points if it's for your date of birth and the scroll starts at 2023

I recently had to do one where you picked your DOB on a calendar. Fine, plenty of them do that. They let you click the month which backs out to view the months of that year so you click the year and it backs out to the decade, etc.

Oh no, that would be too good for this widget. I had to scroll back to my birth month, month by month, from today. That was A LOT OF loving CLICKS.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Arrath posted:

I recently had to do one where you picked your DOB on a calendar. Fine, plenty of them do that. They let you click the month which backs out to view the months of that year so you click the year and it backs out to the decade, etc.

Oh no, that would be too good for this widget. I had to scroll back to my birth month, month by month, from today. That was A LOT OF loving CLICKS.
Ooh, a cold hell for this coder

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
"Are you over 18?"
"By the time I reach my date of birth I will be..."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Because of all the spam posts, the local history (sigh) facebook groups I'm in all went to pending posts.

Which so far, means I'll research the gently caress out of someone's question, post my well-referenced answer complete with helpful pictures, and... sit there with my posts pending while I watch other, very stupid, very wrong posts get approved.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Brawnfire posted:

Because of all the spam posts, the local history (sigh) facebook groups I'm in all went to pending posts.

Which so far, means I'll research the gently caress out of someone's question, post my well-referenced answer complete with helpful pictures, and... sit there with my posts pending while I watch other, very stupid, very wrong posts get approved.

Lol that sounds agonizing

I had a similar but not as torturous experience on Nextdoor when someone asked for help with an environmental matter that so happens to be the focus of my career.

15 comments giving advice that was well-intentioned but harmful and illegal. But my comment warning the OP against following that advice is removed for being 'disrespectful'

I should know better than to get on nextdoor but lol

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Riatsala posted:

Lol that sounds agonizing

I had a similar but not as torturous experience on Nextdoor when someone asked for help with an environmental matter that so happens to be the focus of my career.

15 comments giving advice that was well-intentioned but harmful and illegal. But my comment warning the OP against following that advice is removed for being 'disrespectful'

I should know better than to get on nextdoor but lol

I got banned from nextdoor for pointing out that scams were scams because that was disrespectful (to the scammers, i guess).

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
That’s considered disrespectful but all the people posting pictures of random homeless people while asking when someone is going to do something about them is cool & good

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

There is no good social media but I'm pretty sure NextDoor is the undisputed worst.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

LinkedIn is pretty far up on the list, too.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

docbeard posted:

There is no good social media but I'm pretty sure NextDoor is the undisputed worst.

!!!!ALERT!!!! BURGLAR/MURDERER SPOTTED!!

young "urban" male has been casing the neighborhood for several nights using the footpath by the park. wears baggy sweats (low class street clothes) and running shoes (for quick getaways.) brings his attack dog, I think it's some kind of pit bull mix although who knows what kind of mongrel it is. it has the head and tail of a chocolate lab and the body of a yellow lab except brown, but everything else is 100% pit bull. most active at around a quarter to 6, before the sun comes up when most people are still asleep. if you see him CALL POLICE IMMEDIATELY

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
A few tips for the brain geniuses out there on the road:

1. Unless I'm driving the Batmobile, it's going to take a moment for my car to accelerate to the speed limit. Do not immediately stick the nose of your car up my rear end because you think I'm going too slow, you loving moron.

2. If you can plainly see that I am behind a slow-moving car - regardless of the lane - going up my tailpipe is not going to fix it; it's just going to piss me off.

3. A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine. If you're tailgating everyone on the road, maybe learn to budget your time better instead of taking your stupidity out on us.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

2. If you can plainly see that I am behind a slow-moving car - regardless of the lane - going up my tailpipe is not going to fix it; it's just going to piss me off.

I get stuck behind school busses on the highway a lot on my commute and this drives me insane. I can’t get around them to pass because they’re keeping me so slow I never have an opportunity to move a lane to the left, and then someone decides to put their hood inside my trunk so now if they brake I’m hosed, and I have to watch this guy in my bubble and keep an eye out for a spot where I can merge left to get around it.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
I'm not proud of it but I will actively box in aggressive tailgaters by matching speed with a slower car in the right lane. The tailgater will never even consider slowing down enough to go around the other car but will have a shrieking meltdown I get to enjoy in my rearview mirror

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I get people tailgating me as I go like 58mph down a 55-limit country road through the woods, and one of these days I'll die from either murder or a rear-ending because it turns me into a stubborn little poo poo and i start going slower and slower and slower until they finally pass me. I'm not proud of myself but i also don't care enough to improve this behavior in myself

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I consistently go 5-6 above the speed limit and still get tailgated, so I do the same thing. Nothing is ever fast enough for those type of drivers; they just resent having to share the road with anyone.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The people that tailgate and then blast their high beams into your mirror are the worst kind of tailgater. And incredibly stupid to boot- every time it’s like “Motherfucker, do you think I’m going to drive faster if I can’t see!?”

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
A lot of tailgaters aren't doing it out of aggression, they're just that lovely at driving and think that's a normal following distance or don't even know that they're doing it.

Edit: which isn't to say it's any more okay.

Dip Viscous has a new favorite as of 16:17 on Dec 18, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Probably. I think a lot of it's a combination of too many cars on the road and tunnel vision: a lot of people on the road aren't thinking of anything but their needs. They need to get to their destination now, and you're standing in the way.

The drivers I hate the most are those who drive like they're playing GTA, zipping in between lanes and cars like they have a three star wanted level. Technically it's pretty skillful driving but they're complete assholes (and usually are aggressive).

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

InediblePenguin posted:

I get people tailgating me as I go like 58mph down a 55-limit country road through the woods, and one of these days I'll die from either murder or a rear-ending because it turns me into a stubborn little poo poo and i start going slower and slower and slower until they finally pass me. I'm not proud of myself but i also don't care enough to improve this behavior in myself

If conditions permit passing this is not only prudent but also courteous, you're making it easier for them to pass.

Of course, as someone else pointed out a lot of tailgaters just fundamentally do not understand driving so they will just sit there and fume "stuck" behind the only car on the road on an open straightaway with the other lane wide open

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I'm not proud of it but I will actively box in aggressive tailgaters by matching speed with a slower car in the right lane. The tailgater will never even consider slowing down enough to go around the other car but will have a shrieking meltdown I get to enjoy in my rearview mirror

I do this & also gently caress with idiots who refuse to go around or think they can "bully" others into speeding up. Nope, have fun doing 42 in a 40 when I put my cruise on & wave sarcastically at you, dipshit. The pandemic really hosed with peoples' heads when they weren't able to take their fat aggression out on strangers as much, but hey...it's their stroke/aneurysm, not mine :shrug:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

2008 Paper - Territorial Markings as a Predictor of Driver Aggression and Road Rage

quote:

Aggressive driving has received substantial media coverage during the past decade. We report 3 studies testing a territorial explanation of aggressive driving. Altman (1975) described attachment to, personalization of, and defense of primary territories (e.g., home) as being greater than for public territories (e.g., sunbathing spot on a beach). Aggressive driving may occur when social norms for defending a primary territory (i.e., one's automobile) become confused with less aggressive norms for defending a public territory (i.e., the road). Both number of territory markers (e.g., bumper stickers, decals) and attachment to the vehicle were significant predictors of aggressive driving. Mere presence of a territory marker predicts increased use of the vehicle to express anger and decreased use of adaptive/constructive expressions.

Lots of other results for general searches of "driving aggression territorialism", too.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
LinkedIn automatically deletes spaces if you delete the word after them, which is probably convenient for idiots but is absolutely loving rage-inducing when I'm trying to quickly modify multiple fields in my profile in preparation for a job application sprint.

Also LinkedIn has an extremely rigid system for classifying jobs, which probably works well enough for most people but cannot handle contracting nicely at all. At one (brief) time in my life I had 7 contractual employment situations over the course of a single year, and my choices are either to have that one year dominate my entire employment history or to roll it all up into one badly confusing entry that fundamentally misrepresents my employment history. It's both stressful and not great.

I fuckin' hate looking for jobs.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

LinkedIn automatically deletes spaces if you delete the word after them, which is probably convenient for idiots but is absolutely loving rage-inducing when I'm trying to quickly modify multiple fields in my profile in preparation for a job application sprint.

Also LinkedIn has an extremely rigid system for classifying jobs, which probably works well enough for most people but cannot handle contracting nicely at all. At one (brief) time in my life I had 7 contractual employment situations over the course of a single year, and my choices are either to have that one year dominate my entire employment history or to roll it all up into one badly confusing entry that fundamentally misrepresents my employment history. It's both stressful and not great.

I fuckin' hate looking for jobs.

The recruiters on LinkedIn have also made me hate when jobs look for me. So many LinkedIn recruiters will send me nastygrams if I don’t reply, or they get mad when I ask about salary (where when they do eventually reply it’s 15-25k under my current pay). I have no idea why so many recruiters think that the cold-call level message they send me is something I’ll reply to in a few hours. It’s just a nightmare hellsite where I feel like I still need to have an account for career purposes, I hate it.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I know it's to make the separate apps easier to handle, have separate release cycles that don't interfere (/not annoy users with constant updates), but I do find it kinda obnoxious how a number of the regional public transit apps split their functionality out over 2-3 apps.

There's one app purely for the tickets.
There's one app purely to plan trips / go 'I want to go from here to x, what's the best route?'
There's one app purely for a realtime map of all the busses in the region.

It's just kinda obnoxious hopping back and forth between them to check stuff, the few times I need to.

(Also annoying is that they made a big hoo-hah about making public transit free here, 'atleast out 2024', then once the election hit they ended up scrapping it after half a year.
I really hope a lot of other people are annoyed at losing the free public transit, considering it costs around... 60$ (probably 70$ next year) a month per adult otherwise.)
Rolling something like that out, then withdrawing it again should really be a kinda pandora's box situation, not 'oh yeah it was scrapped and not really mentioned much.'.
Especially in the middle of a cost-of-living crisis, as in many other places.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

the holy poopacy posted:

If conditions permit passing this is not only prudent but also courteous, you're making it easier for them to pass.

Of course, as someone else pointed out a lot of tailgaters just fundamentally do not understand driving so they will just sit there and fume "stuck" behind the only car on the road on an open straightaway with the other lane wide open

i'd actually never considered that your first paragraph is true and correct before now, due to the big babies acting like i'm killing them as in your second paragraph, haha

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The recruiters on LinkedIn have also made me hate when jobs look for me. So many LinkedIn recruiters will send me nastygrams if I don’t reply, or they get mad when I ask about salary (where when they do eventually reply it’s 15-25k under my current pay). I have no idea why so many recruiters think that the cold-call level message they send me is something I’ll reply to in a few hours. It’s just a nightmare hellsite where I feel like I still need to have an account for career purposes, I hate it.

It's really telling that as soon as my state started requiring salary ranges in job postings I started getting half as many recruiters reaching out on LinkedIn.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

My experience with recruiters in the past is that they've been useful... barely. Perhaps one in ten jobs a recruiter suggested was a legitimately interesting position within my range that I might not have found (or might have taken much longer to find) without their assistance.

No longer. I'm not sure what changed but recruiters are less than useless. I reached out to a recruiter I've used successfully before to help with this most recent bout of job searching and in 3 months she has yet to send me a single job that matches my career goals and my qualifications. Not one. And I've applied for several of the jobs where I didn't meet the qualifications (mostly because I don't have a degree) at her insistence and have heard absolutely nothing back. I'm working with two other recruiters now and they, too, seem to forget the parts of my profile that are inconvenient to them and push for me to take jobs that would be bad for me as a result. I've terminated my relationships with all 3 at this point and am going it alone.

And today I'm loving fed up with Linkedin not showing me job postings. A friend sent me a link to a posting, I can see the posting when I click the link, but even before I applied to it there was no way for me to see the posting through Search. Frustratingly, the job meets my exact qualifications and filters. How many other jobs are being hidden like that, LinkedIn? What the gently caress is the point of a job search website when the search simply cannot find some of the listed jobs?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

And today I'm loving fed up with Linkedin not showing me job postings. A friend sent me a link to a posting, I can see the posting when I click the link, but even before I applied to it there was no way for me to see the posting through Search. Frustratingly, the job meets my exact qualifications and filters. How many other jobs are being hidden like that, LinkedIn? What the gently caress is the point of a job search website when the search simply cannot find some of the listed jobs?
I would assume the position is already guaranteed to go to a friend or relative and the posting is just a formality.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

FFT posted:

I would assume the position is already guaranteed to go to a friend or relative and the posting is just a formality.

She found the posting via search. Upon further investigation, I can find the posting via search - if I'm logged out. The moment I log in on my phone or desktop it no longer appears in search. The only legitimate thing I can even imagine is that someone in the company blocked me from the application, but I don't have any network connections there and I don't know anyone who works there or as best I can tell ever has. I think it's far more likely that LinkedIn is just a piece of poo poo and nobody's ever noticed because nobody cares.

gently caress 'em, applied. At some point someone has to give me a job out of sheer force of will.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
As I currently have the word 'manager' in my job title (even though I'm really not managing anything or anyone at all), I now get additional vacuous approaches from recruiters who are just reaching out to help me expand my team as they have deep expertise in the field of digital transformation and a proven track record in matching expert skill sets with blaaaaaaaaargggghhhhh

Often I'll get a message offering me a new job, and a message offering to help hire my team, from the same person in the same week, with no neither message acknowledging the other. Great job, guys!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I recently had a recruiter reach out to me for a lower role in the same department of the same company I work for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Today is another installation of the "person doesn't hear poo poo I say point blank to their face but seconds later expects me to hear them talking while they face away from me in another room performing an activity" variety of frustrating.