Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

.Z. posted:

The Reboot masters are PAL, not NTSC. Assuming Shout had access to the masters when they made their DVDs, they would have had to do a PAL > NTSC conversion. Why do the conversion? NTSC is/was the safer format to produce in. While most PAL DVD players could play NSTC content, the reverse was not true.

okay but why were the masters in PAL if it was originally an NTSC show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

okay but why were the masters in PAL if it was originally an NTSC show?

Mainframe Studios produced their shows in PAL. Anything we've seen in NTSC markets of Reboot (and Beast Wars for that matter) was PAL converted to NTSC for broadcast.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

.Z. posted:

Mainframe Studios produced their shows in PAL. Anything we've seen in NTSC markets of Reboot (and Beast Wars for that matter) was PAL converted to NTSC for broadcast.

okay, i apologize in advance and i swear i'm not trying to be difficult lol, but....why were they produced in PAL? Canada's NTSC isn't it?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

okay, i apologize in advance and i swear i'm not trying to be difficult lol, but....why were they produced in PAL? Canada's NTSC isn't it?

No clue as to the real reason for producing in PAL. I'm guessing that was what the creators of Reboot wanted. Gavin Blair, Ian Pearson, Phil Mitchell, and John Grace (who are also 4 of 5 of the Mainframe Studio co-founders) are all from the UK which is PAL. They might have also decided the hassle of conversion was worth being able to output at the best image quality possible.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/EWoN625/status/1737154822925639855

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Rock gets into some kind of trouble and Paper helps him craft an Alibi because Paper Covers Rock.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I loving knew it, every time I saw ReBoot clips on YouTube or torrents or whatever it was ever so slightly off, I thought I was crazy to think that every single online version of the show was 5% slower for no goddamn reason, clearly it's all in my head but it's loving PAL.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

YggiDee posted:

I loving knew it, every time I saw ReBoot clips on YouTube or torrents or whatever it was ever so slightly off, I thought I was crazy to think that every single online version of the show was 5% slower for no goddamn reason, clearly it's all in my head but it's loving PAL.

It's probably the same reason it's impossible to beat Final Fantasy 9 in the 12 hours that it takes to speedrun to the Excalibur 2, it runs slightly slower than the US version so the clock is slightly ahead.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

.Z. posted:

No clue as to the real reason for producing in PAL. I'm guessing that was what the creators of Reboot wanted. Gavin Blair, Ian Pearson, Phil Mitchell, and John Grace (who are also 4 of 5 of the Mainframe Studio co-founders) are all from the UK which is PAL. They might have also decided the hassle of conversion was worth being able to output at the best image quality possible.

PAL is also 20% fewer frames per second, and therefore less rendering time. For direct-to-digital CGI TV in the 90s that time really added up.

D-1 is a tricky format, a DV-2000 or -2100 isn’t cheap and they’re part of a whole system. Their best bet is to contact an archive house producer. Hopefully someone like Discotek hears about this and gets in touch.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

kefkafloyd posted:

PAL is also 20% fewer frames per second, and therefore less rendering time. For direct-to-digital CGI TV in the 90s that time really added up.

D-1 is a tricky format, a DV-2000 or -2100 isn’t cheap and they’re part of a whole system. Their best bet is to contact an archive house producer. Hopefully someone like Discotek hears about this and gets in touch.

I know the PAL standard was a 50 fps signal and NTSC 60 fps, but aren't most television programs only 24fps regardless? (And most animated kids shows only 12 fps with some sequences like the opening credits and more exciting scenes being at 24)

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I know the PAL standard was a 50 fps signal and NTSC 60 fps, but aren't most television programs only 24fps regardless? (And most animated kids shows only 12 fps with some sequences like the opening credits and more exciting scenes being at 24)

You’re thinking of interlaced fields/refresh rate. NTSC is 29.97 FPS, PAL is 25, but that translates to 59.something Hz and 50Hz.

And although animated shows are usually done on the twos (or sometimes threes), you still have to render out all the actual filmed (or video) frames.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1737578064543109352?s=20

David Zaslav is coming for the rest of animation.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’d be worried about Paramount+, but there’s nothing on it.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Swinging by to say that my inner 13 year old is extremely pleased by the Percy Jackson show that Disney+ is dropping now, the cast's doing solid work, I'm excited to see where we go from here from two episodes.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

I do like a few things on Paramount+ that I don't have much faith in lasting if this merger goes through.
Namely Transformers Earthspark, which I already had doubts about being continued.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Bit of irony there considering Nickelodeon, MTV, and Comedy Central all originated as Warner owned networks

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Bit of irony there considering Nickelodeon, MTV, and Comedy Central all originated as Warner owned networks

Well they're going back if Zaslav gets his way :haw:

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Batman v NCIS

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The first three episodes are up on YouTube from Nick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkUbE5Mz2m4

My Twitter timeline is losing its collective poo poo over a gay guard character in it too. If WB merges with Paramount, then this show is definitely going to go.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

MonsterEnvy posted:

I still want Netflix to show work on that Redwall stuff I head they were doing.

Was the Nelvana show any good, out of curiosity

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Junpei posted:

Was the Nelvana show any good, out of curiosity

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That bad huh? What was wrong with the first attempt at a Redwall cartoon out of curiosity?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
To be fair, I haven't watched it in over a decade and have softened on a lot of things I used to actively hate in the intervening years. It probably has plenty to enjoy depending on how big of a Jacques fan you are, but I mostly remember it as aggressively mediocre, especially compared to its contemporaries. A show about D&D WITH MICE came out at the same time as Batman Beyond, X-Men: Evolution, and Samurai Jack with animation that barely rivaled Arthur and morality tales that made the TMNT telling you to conserve electricity look downright edgy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I found the Redwall show enjoyable when I was younger. Was pretty dark for a kids show given the high amounts of death.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I found the Redwall show enjoyable when I was younger. Was pretty dark for a kids show given the high amounts of death.

How far into the series did it go?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

How far into the series did it go?

It covered three books over three seasons.

Redwall the first book, where a Warlord Cluny the Scourge attempts to siege Redwall Abbey to loot it.
Mattimeo the third book and direct sequel to Redwall, where the Abbey's children are kidnapped by the slaver Slagar the Cruel and the Heroes from the first book track him (While the children try to slow the slaver band down).
Martin the Warrior the sixth book a prequel about the early life of Martin the Warrior the founder of Redwall Abbey when he was a slave to Badrang the Tyrant and led a revolution against him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Are you sure you're not remembering The Animals of Farthing Wood?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Are you sure you're not remembering The Animals of Farthing Wood?

Hot take: yeah the death scenes on this show were horrific, but most of the characters were annoying and their gnarly deaths were often cathartic.

Remember when Owl went senile and fell in love with a stone statue?

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

I'm slowly going through the Redwall TV series now for nostalgia's sake. I loved it growing up and tried my best to record each ep in order on VHS.

I'm not going to say it's the best but it's better than average. The animation can be a bit weak, but the backgrounds are lush, the score is beautiful, and the voice acting is real solid (Tim Curry as Slagar the Cruel. And whoever did Basil Stag Hare was a delight.). I know for a fact maaaany kids were disappointed that the show wasn't as violent as the books (plus their imaginations) were, but the audio design team certainly stepped up to compensate. A lot of nice wet off-screen squelches.

It's a show that attempted serial TV storytelling before it was the norm. If it's not region locked, here's a link to the entire series officially uploaded.

Nostalgia aside, I firmly believe it was and still is a good show with a lot of charm, but I'm not sure how I feel about them making more. It came out during a more innocent time back when the Internet was still gaining its feet. Constance doesn't deserve the Toriel treatment.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Watching a lot of Christmas specials recently since they're on and I'm pretty sure Regular Show still has some of the greatest Xmas episodes of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyMaTuEpfBI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EelwEcdauKs

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 24, 2023

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Regular Show's utilization of licensed music is something every TV show crew should be required to study, absolutely masterful at it

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
I watched the Shape Island Christmas/Winter holiday episode on Apple+ and it was very cute!

This Shape Island show is a really nice surprise actually. I tried it on a whim because of the stop motion animation look (honestly not sure if it’s really stop motion or CG). I was expecting a show for very little kids that teaches shapes and colours or something, but it’s actually pretty fun. I was super impressed by Harvey Guillén in Puss in Boots, so it is also cool to hear him again in this show.

Robin Robin and this episode of Shape Island would be recent holiday specials that I would add to my list of favourites.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Oh God I'd forgotten about this, what an absolutely sublime piece of television.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Space Robot posted:

I do like a few things on Paramount+ that I don't have much faith in lasting if this merger goes through.
Namely Transformers Earthspark, which I already had doubts about being continued.

If anything happens to Lower Decks, so help me...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

If anything happens to Lower Decks, so help me...

Be Star Trek: Prodigy, get killed once already by Paramount+, escape the bonds of their failing streaming service for a second life on Netflix, and then get killed a second time by either the notoriously cancel-happy Ted Sarandos OR Mr. Tax Write Offs himself David Zaslav after Warner Bros. consumes Paramount whole next year.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

nine-gear crow posted:

Be Star Trek: Prodigy, get killed once already by Paramount+, escape the bonds of their failing streaming service for a second life on Netflix, and then get killed a second time by either the notoriously cancel-happy Ted Sarandos OR Mr. Tax Write Offs himself David Zaslav after Warner Bros. consumes Paramount whole next year.

I like Prodigy, but it hit its peak with the time dilation episode and never got back up there.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

drrockso20 posted:

Regular Show's utilization of licensed music is something every TV show crew should be required to study, absolutely masterful at it

I think of how Living In The Sunlight Loving In The Moonlight murdered the music budget for Spongebob's first season (leading to them relying on a virtuoso use of old production music that isn't appreciated enough) and wonder what the music budget for Regular Show must've looked like.

Getting Heroes for the finale must've cost a pretty penny.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i think its partly the reverse. paramount eats Max and zaslav gets to jump with a golden parachute.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think its partly the reverse. paramount eats Max and zaslav gets to jump with a golden parachute.

Warner has the bigger market cap. Paramount is gonna be the one who gets eaten and Zaslav ends up in control of whatever slop emerges from the merger. Dude's made it clear he loves his job and he's not leaving until the 90 Day Fiancee Extended Universe is the only form of entertainment available, so he's not going anywhere or facing any consequences for his bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Warner has the bigger market cap. Paramount is gonna be the one who gets eaten and Zaslav ends up in control of whatever slop emerges from the merger. Dude's made it clear he loves his job and he's not leaving until the 90 Day Fiancee Extended Universe is the only form of entertainment available, so he's not going anywhere or facing any consequences for his bullshit.

My 600 lb. life... as a member of Starfleet!