Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Doesn't help that Beverly also tells him to shut up, then acts all hurt when Wesley brings it up later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

I need a large print of this.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Watched the full episode of Identity Crisis last night, and, uh, hmm. I remembered the reveal of the humanoid blob casting a shadow in the holodeck to be way creepier, like on the level of the table scene in Schisms.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Phy posted:

Watched the full episode of Identity Crisis last night, and, uh, hmm. I remembered the reveal of the humanoid blob casting a shadow in the holodeck to be way creepier, like on the level of the table scene in Schisms.

In a vacuum that scene is excellent. In context with the rest of the episode it gets dragged down.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Wesley and Tasha Yar both suck because I remember that incredibly cringe scene where they have a PSA about drugs.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Wesley totally smoked weed with the Traveler

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Pwnstar posted:

Wesley and Tasha Yar both suck because I remember that incredibly cringe scene where they have a PSA about drugs.

https://youtu.be/XFN3UHHsarE?si=1qtivA8tk_Y3C7Jx

Wow, all that's missing is Jonathan Frakes giving you a help line phone number.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
tasha yar is awesome and i'm irrationally sad that she's like the one main cast member that never got to sit in the captain's chair

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i mean sure he was never in command but wesley got to sit in it! twice!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
the captain's girlfriend got to sit in it for gently caress sake

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
He was Acting Captain that one time

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

WB and Paramount in merger talks.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Picard Snyder Cut when

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm watching Stargate and man the contrast of "a weird thing happened" in this compared to Trek is insane
Nobody ever, ever believes the person, I genuinely hate it

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Taear posted:

I'm watching Stargate and man the contrast of "a weird thing happened" in this compared to Trek is insane
Nobody ever, ever believes the person, I genuinely hate it

Legitimately one of my favorite aspects of Trek is that everyone acknowledges that a person wouldn't be in their position if they weren't qualified and competent, so why wouldn't we believe them?

Even in entirely questionable episodes like Retrospect where Seven is making false accusations, they still believe her in the sense that they don't doubt she believes what she's saying and won't abandon her knowing it was their fault she has these feelings.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm pretty sure there's a ton of episodes where they do get written off with 'you've had a long day, get some rest' when they start seeing ghost aliens or whatever though?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRQA2cucuYM

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Orgasmatron?

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
If I were in the Star Trek universe, I would believe absolutely anything anyone told me about their personal experience.

Got a body part teleported out of their body? Yep.

Claims to be mentally decades older than they appear because of doing a dime in Space Prison? Sure, we've all been there.

Saw the literal physical manifestation of evil as a black puddle? Save the antipsychotics, this one's fine.

Boned an alien sex ghost? My only question is, "which one?"

And this is without getting into Kirk's time. As wild as that is, it would all be part of popular consciousness by the TNG era, so it would be normalized if anything. The NPCs in Trek should either be the most chill or the most traumatized people in history.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

No Dignity posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a ton of episodes where they do get written off with 'you've had a long day, get some rest' when they start seeing ghost aliens or whatever though?

Absolutely happens, but usually not as a first instinct. They look into practical ways to discover or prove the thing, but that usually falls, so the friends of the character say "hey look everyone has space madness" and then after the break they prove that the victim correct.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Datalore is one of those situations (I'd argue Man of the People is another) where the crew is so loving stupid you wonder how they remember to breathe. I get that Data is an android who is continually learning about humanity and growing in his ability to "act" human, but when he suddenly begins exhibiting signs of stuff he normally doesn't do, that's probably a reason to be concerned, guys!

IIRC, Lore twirls his mustache almost from the moment he is brought aboard, and yet no one sees any harm in showing him the ops console or taking him on a tour through sensitive areas of the ship. It's a Star Trek trope but a particularly dumb one.

On the other hand, you do frequently see Data try to (poorly) replicate other peoples behaviors in awkward ways. The crew is also very quick to dismiss Data's strange behaviors the same way you treat your weird friend with Asperger's or what ever.

"Oh, Data's just being weird and awkward again, lets just ignore him or tell him to shut up."

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

No Dignity posted:

I could be wrong, but I feel like there are more episodes where the character in question is like "I'm imagining things" or "I'm losing it" or "something's wrong with me" while the others are still saying "no, we're not prepared to say that, there might still be a thing and we're going to keep trying to find it."

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

disaster pastor posted:

I could be wrong, but I feel like there are more episodes where the character in question is like "I'm imagining things" or "I'm losing it" or "something's wrong with me" while the others are still saying "no, we're not prepared to say that, there might still be a thing and we're going to keep trying to find it."

I mean, when loving Reg Barclay shows up and insists he sees worms in the matter stream during transport, the outcome isn't "Shut up, Broccoli" or "Get some sleep, Reg;" rather, Geordi pulls the entire system apart looking for what's going on.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Yeah its Barkley himself that thinks he's going crazy, but when he brings it up they take it seriously, and as it escalates they find actual evidence to back it up.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I've worked with a few people who would absolutely abuse that trust. "Sorry I didn't finish realigning the pattern buffers, I was, uhhhhh, psychically projected back in time to... ancient Kreetassi, so I could... help end their civil war. You know how it is."

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

So you think they have the computer picking up on this kind of thing via pattern analysis? Like "Crew are using the head (the nautical and therefore likely space term for toilet) 6% more than usual" So you know you should double check everyone for stomach bugs before it gets out of hand.

I know if I was a starship captain the first thing I'd tell the computer is "if the number of people on board changes and isn't correlated to authorized shuttle or transporter use let me and security know right away"

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I feel like in general 90s Trek didn't really appreciate how computers could do things automatically, or at least ignored it for dramatic purposes. Like I forget which one it is, but there's an early episode of TNG where they need to activate some beam precisely when the technobabble hits 40% and Riker tells Data to program it in. And then when it actually happens, it's just Data reading the percent out loud and when it hits 40, Riker tells him to activate it and he has to push the button manually.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Railing Kill posted:

And this is without getting into Kirk's time. As wild as that is, it would all be part of popular consciousness by the TNG era, so it would be normalized if anything. The NPCs in Trek should either be the most chill or the most traumatized people in history.

The Medusans are alien cosmic horros with an appearance so mindshatteringly revolting that one look at them will drive you permanently mad.

Starfleet diplomats successfully opened negotiations and they are now a valued member of the Federation.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Tunicate posted:

The Medusans are alien cosmic horros with an appearance so mindshatteringly revolting that one look at them will drive you permanently mad.

Starfleet diplomats successfully opened negotiations and they are now a valued member of the Federation.

I mean, just send some nerds that can't do eye contact? Or use a screen if you're a coward.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I'll handle this one, I'm already nuts

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tunicate posted:

I mean the 2 named Medusans we've seen are pretty chill peeps...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tunicate posted:

I thought they were only doing that to hewmons.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Isn’t a Medusan a main cast member on Prodigy?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Arivia posted:

Isn’t a Medusan a main cast member on Prodigy?

Yes, it's name is Zero.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
While it's never explicitly called out in PRO, I believe Zero's pronouns are they/them.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

While it's never explicitly called out in PRO, I believe Zero's pronouns are they/them.

Yeah, I think it's literally just "I'm non-corporeal so I don't have a gender" and then everyone just starts using they/them with no further focus on it. Angus Imrie being able to sound like a teenage boy and a middle aged woman at the same time really helps sell Zero's agenderness too :v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, I think it's literally just "I'm non-corporeal so I don't have a gender" and then everyone just starts using they/them with no further focus on it. Angus Imrie being able to sound like a teenage boy and a middle aged woman at the same time really helps sell Zero's agenderness too :v:

I genuinely thought he was in the middle of the cast age-range wise when I first saw the show.

I mean, I guess he is, if you count Mantzoukis and Mulgrew, but you know what i meant.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Sisko appreciation post:

https://twitter.com/CPColin/status/1737213072669110302

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Very good definitive Sisko acting in that episode. “You betrayed your uniform!” “I have never been taken off an assignment [growling] until now!” Though honestly that whole speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lord Hydronium posted:

I feel like in general 90s Trek didn't really appreciate how computers could do things automatically, or at least ignored it for dramatic purposes. Like I forget which one it is, but there's an early episode of TNG where they need to activate some beam precisely when the technobabble hits 40% and Riker tells Data to program it in. And then when it actually happens, it's just Data reading the percent out loud and when it hits 40, Riker tells him to activate it and he has to push the button manually.

During the development of TNG they did think that more realistically by this time they wouldn't really even have consoles and stuff, they'd just be hanging out in chairs looking at the viewscreen and telling the computer stuff they want and the computer would handle everything, but they figured that that wouldn't make very good TV.