Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The parks blog says "Reimagined animation courtyard" and I would love to know what that means

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
They’re finding a way to add an upcharge

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

They'll put an astroturf park in it like they did in Toontown

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I really hoped they'd turn it into a Moana show, or something else that isn't Little Mermaid. The old show is nice and all, but it's old. Like, almost as old as me old. Kids still love Ariel but surely it'd be a good idea, since everything got trashed, to just update it and turn it into something new.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I wonder how much of it will be based on the live action, since they had 23 Ariel and 89 Ariel in the parks at the same time earlier this year.

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug
Just found out I'm going to a 4 day long work meeting held in a hotel in Disney Springs in February. Flying in early the afternoon before, and we'll be free most of the evenings and one "family day" afternoon during the week. I'm going solo since my wife doesn't have the PTO on that short of notice, coworkers will be a mix of solo travelers and people bringing their families.

I haven't been to Disney World in over 20 years and never in the Disney Springs area, so looking for some recommendations.

I'm definitely planning on spending one of the afternoons in the Star Wars outpost, I'd like to hit up the big set piece rides there. I'm thinking of spending the other afternoon in the Magic Kingdom for the nostalgia rides, also the Tron ride looks cool? Any other can't miss attractions? Any recommendations in Disney Springs for dinner places, bars, entertainment in the evenings?

Edit: Looks like the ticket / day pass stuff has been visited by the micro transaction fairy. Do you have to book park days in advance or is there any chance to buy passes the day of?

mkultra419 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 20, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Reservations end in January.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

mkultra419 posted:

Just found out I'm going to a 4 day long work meeting held in a hotel in Disney Springs in February. Flying in early the afternoon before, and we'll be free most of the evenings and one "family day" afternoon during the week. I'm going solo since my wife doesn't have the PTO on that short of notice, coworkers will be a mix of solo travelers and people bringing their families.

I haven't been to Disney World in over 20 years and never in the Disney Springs area, so looking for some recommendations.

I'm definitely planning on spending one of the afternoons in the Star Wars outpost, I'd like to hit up the big set piece rides there. I'm thinking of spending the other afternoon in the Magic Kingdom for the nostalgia rides, also the Tron ride looks cool? Any other can't miss attractions? Any recommendations in Disney Springs for dinner places, bars, entertainment in the evenings?

Cosmic Rewind in Epcot is cooler than Tron, and Epcot itself is cooler than Magic Kingdom for adults. Cosmic Rewind is probably the most fun ride in all of the Disney parks, period. If you're there in February, Festival of the Arts will be going on in Epcot, so you'll be able to enjoy some fun food and drinks and neat art as you stroll around the park with probably the nicest weather of the year. You can also enjoy great restaurants like Shiki Sai and Space 220 with good food and theming.

For Disney Springs, I can't recommend Morimoto Asia more highly. I'm also a big fan of Frontera Cocina if you like really good Mexican food. I'm not personally a fan, but a lot of people rave about Art Smith's Homecoming for American southern food. I like Jock Lindsey's as a fun little bar in Springs, and while I've never actually eaten/drank there, the Edison is a pretty cool bar as well. Try to get a cookie from Gideon's Bakehouse as well.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

If mkultra is into Star Wars, which it sounds like they are, then I feel like Rise and Smuggler's are going to impress them more than Guardians. I agree that it's more fun than Tron though.

Agreed on Jock Lindsay's and I've never been disappointed by Polite Pig's brisket, and its bar scene is pretty good too especially if you like bourbon and/or beer. If you like savory Irish food and Cookes of Dublin has their Hog in a Box (it disappears from the menu periodically), that's one of the best things I've ever eaten.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Nanigans posted:

Cosmic Rewind in Epcot is cooler than Tron, and Epcot itself is cooler than Magic Kingdom for adults. Cosmic Rewind is probably the most fun ride in all of the Disney parks, period. If you're there in February, Festival of the Arts will be going on in Epcot, so you'll be able to enjoy some fun food and drinks and neat art as you stroll around the park with probably the nicest weather of the year. You can also enjoy great restaurants like Shiki Sai and Space 220 with good food and theming.

Seconded, Epcot is the best park with the best ride and best food

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Hazo posted:

If mkultra is into Star Wars, which it sounds like they are, then I feel like Rise and Smuggler's are going to impress them more than Guardians. I agree that it's more fun than Tron though.

Agreed on Jock Lindsay's and I've never been disappointed by Polite Pig's brisket, and its bar scene is pretty good too especially if you like bourbon and/or beer. If you like savory Irish food and Cookes of Dublin has their Hog in a Box (it disappears from the menu periodically), that's one of the best things I've ever eaten.

It sounds like from their post that DHS is a for sure thing and MK was a maybe.

I say skip MK and do Epcot.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Hazo posted:

What's the Hog in a Box? I've never heard of it.

Also as a Star Wars fan Oga's Cantina is a 100% must do. You can just spend a whole day in Galaxy's Edge easy.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Yes to above
I love the cantina

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I really hoped they'd turn it into a Moana show, or something else that isn't Little Mermaid. The old show is nice and all, but it's old. Like, almost as old as me old. Kids still love Ariel but surely it'd be a good idea, since everything got trashed, to just update it and turn it into something new.

loving love me the laser light show in it. It's the most dated feeling thing in the parks and I love it so much. Just fantastically 80s

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug
Thanks for the recommendations everyone, especially the places in Disney Springs. Sounds like an afternoon/evening for Star Wars and another for Epcot is the way to go.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Arquinsiel posted:

Also as a Star Wars fan Oga's Cantina is a 100% must do. You can just spend a whole day in Galaxy's Edge easy.

Absolutely. You can enjoy the ambience or check out the marketplace, or especially Dok Ondar's (where they sell the cool replica merchandise). Grab the Disney Play App if you want to walk around turning on doorways and setting off sound effects and interacting with the set pieces for everyone to hear. You can power up the A-Wing and X-Wing and all kinds of other landmarks, plus you can complete "missions" by scanning QR codes scattered around the landscape, and if you're a big Star Wars nerd it's a blast.

Arquinsiel posted:

It's basically a bunch of slow-roasted pork with Thanksgiving trimmings that comes in a huge Chinese takeout box. From their website:

quote:

Slow Roasted Pork Shoulder with Baby Potatoes, Sage and Sweet Onion Stuffing, Caramelized Onions and Apple Sauce

mkultra419 posted:

Thanks for the recommendations everyone, especially the places in Disney Springs. Sounds like an afternoon/evening for Star Wars and another for Epcot is the way to go.

Let us know how it goes! And try and get reservations for Oga's Cantina in Star Wars. Even if you walk up to the concierge and ask for a standby table it's totally worth it.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 20, 2023

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
If you are a Star Wars nerd, you really owe it to yourself to make an appointment at Savi's for your own custom lightsaber (if there are still any available only a few weeks out). It's pricey, yes, but the price is actually competitive compared to getting a custom lightsaber on the web, the saber itself is excellent quality, the experience is an amazing once-in-a-lifetime thrill, and you'll get to have pictures of yourself taken holding a lit lightsaber in front of an X-Wing and the Millenium Falcon. I have mine and I haven't regretted it for a single second.

Also, I do feel like the advice you're getting is underselling the Magic Kingdom somewhat. It does not have the latest and greatest rides (excepting Tron), no, it's got the classics. Even though Splash Mountain/Tiana's will still be closed, there's still Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, and lesser but still great things like the Tiki Room, Philharmagic, and Carousel of Progress. And there's absolutely nothing like the nostalgia bomb of seeing the fireworks show above the castle.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

couldcareless posted:

loving love me the laser light show in it. It's the most dated feeling thing in the parks and I love it so much. Just fantastically 80s

Man, I agree with you but I still wanted an update.

Just make the manta ray grandma with the laser lights!

Star Wars friend, do a whole day at Hollywood Studios, spend most of it in Galaxy's Edge, make sure you don't miss the Indiana Jones Stunt Show, then have a half Epcot day and a half Magic Kingdom day. I'd say end it at Magic Kingdom because Happily Ever After is better than Luminous.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Hazo posted:

It's basically a bunch of slow-roasted pork with Thanksgiving trimmings that comes in a huge Chinese takeout box. From their website:
That sounds so wrong. It's not chipper food at all!

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Arquinsiel posted:

Jabba's funeral.

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug

CapnAndy posted:

If you are a Star Wars nerd, you really owe it to yourself to make an appointment at Savi's for your own custom lightsaber (if there are still any available only a few weeks out). It's pricey, yes, but the price is actually competitive compared to getting a custom lightsaber on the web, the saber itself is excellent quality, the experience is an amazing once-in-a-lifetime thrill, and you'll get to have pictures of yourself taken holding a lit lightsaber in front of an X-Wing and the Millenium Falcon. I have mine and I haven't regretted it for a single second.

Also, I do feel like the advice you're getting is underselling the Magic Kingdom somewhat. It does not have the latest and greatest rides (excepting Tron), no, it's got the classics. Even though Splash Mountain/Tiana's will still be closed, there's still Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, and lesser but still great things like the Tiki Room, Philharmagic, and Carousel of Progress. And there's absolutely nothing like the nostalgia bomb of seeing the fireworks show above the castle.

I'll take a look at Savi's as I'm a big enough Star Wars nerd to want a personalized light saber. Since flights/hotels/most meals are on the company dime I'm open to splurging a bit. Also planning on adding a third afternoon / evening at the Magic Kingdom before I fly out the next morning. I have a lot of nostalgia for the Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean rides from trips as a kid. Too bad 20,000 Leagues got shut down, that was one of 10 years old me's favorites.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I’m still very confused about the Epcot park, probably because it doesn’t have a facsimile in the other parks?
Is Epcot worth it? What is Epcot? Whenever I try to find stuff about it it’s all about culture and food?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Epcot almost always has some sort of food related festival because they rake in money. That said, the park is worth checking out if that's not your thing. It has some great rides, interactive exhibits, and other attractions. You could easily spend a day on just rides, and then a day on the non-ride stuff.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Epcot is basically the 1960s Tomorrowland (with the science focus) done seriously when it's at its best. Trying to describe what Epcot is can be rather difficult anymore because management in recent years is trying to change the content of it while still channeling the old vibe so as to not upset millennials.

But basically Epcot was the "Worlds Fair corporate propaganda" thing where Disney builds rides that are funded by industrial capital to make some sponsor look Dynamic and Forward-Looking. In recent years however, it's additions have been 2010s IPs replacing those things while the atmosphere between them remains a callback to that 80s sense of harmony.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

mkultra419 posted:

I'll take a look at Savi's as I'm a big enough Star Wars nerd to want a personalized light saber. Since flights/hotels/most meals are on the company dime I'm open to splurging a bit. Also planning on adding a third afternoon / evening at the Magic Kingdom before I fly out the next morning. I have a lot of nostalgia for the Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean rides from trips as a kid. Too bad 20,000 Leagues got shut down, that was one of 10 years old me's favorites.

Making my own lightsaber is one of my favorite Disney memories. I went into it thinking it would be the cheesiest experience ever, and it was. But as you’re allowed one guest to accompany you, my wife recorded me doing it and my face was :haw: the entire time. You choose your overall style (Jedi-like, Sith-like, “Nature”, or the more ostentatious Temple Guard/High Republic style,) then customize the parts within that style, then finally choose your color crystal. It’s great! And the actual prop is so drat hefty and premium feeling.

Oga’s is also great fun but the drinks are all premade cocktails (or beer) and pricy. But the atmosphere is cool.

Haunted Mansion is as good now as it ever was. Still the best ride at MK.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Epcot is two big circles, like an 8.

The northern circle where you usually enter has some rides and exhibits (Soaring, test track, Spaceship Earth, etc.) and the main gift shop. That’s where the big ball is.

The southern circle with a lake in the middle is called the World Showcase. It's a ring of sections kind of representing different countries/regions. Mostly restaurants and shops with a very few rides/attractions. Also the area where festival food and drink kiosks are. This is chillville for adults.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

We like Ogas but it is way too fuckin packed in there and we still have not gotten to sit in a booth. I wish they had outdoor tables or something too.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Ogas should have a to go window

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Darth TNT posted:

I’m still very confused about the Epcot park, probably because it doesn’t have a facsimile in the other parks?
Is Epcot worth it? What is Epcot? Whenever I try to find stuff about it it’s all about culture and food?

Epcot has:
  • Guardians Cosmic Rewind, possibly the best ride in Orlando or even the world
  • Soarin', a timeless classic
  • Epcot ball (Spaceship earth) which looks really rad at night now
  • Moana Journey of Water walkthrough, which is nice
  • Remy's Ratatouille Adventure, a good ride worth doing
  • Mexico boat ride, the best
  • Facsimiles of a bunch of countries around the world that have food, drink, shopping, entertainment & vibes of each of those countries.

Other big attractions that I perhaps wrongly assume an adult would care less about :
  • Test Track, imagine if Radiator Springs Racers looked like lovely Tron and tried to sell you a Chevrolet. it's kind of fun to design a car
  • Mission Space, cram yourself into a tiny cockpit, stare at a way too small screen, and possibly throw up if you picked orange in this simulation of space flight
  • Frozen Ever After, it's good but it'll be tough to do it + the other headliners

Attractions that give the vibe of what Epcot used to be:
  • Spaceship Earth
  • American Adventure
  • Living with the Land

Lower tier attractions that are all lovely in their own way:
  • The Seas pavilion aquarium
  • Finding Nemo omnimover ride
  • Turtle Talk with Crush
  • The dancing fountains near the imagination pavilion
  • The Canada waterfall
  • Gardens in England and Japan
  • The little train garden
  • La Cava del Tequila
  • other stuff I'm tired..

Stuff that kinda stinks:
  • Journey into Imagination

Oh and there is nearly always a food festival which means there's booths all over where you can order drinks and small portions of food themed to the countries for like $8+.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
A person probably also should spend 15 minutes watching the 360 degree film in the Canada pavilion. Once, at least.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

A person probably also should spend 15 minutes watching the 360 degree film in the Canada pavilion. Once, at least.

yes, it is nice

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There’s about a week between festivals during the year, try to avoid going during those times because it’s like half the showcase is missing.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Gotta rock with Reflections of China - and Impressions de France - my two fav movies

Plus if you love characters - tons of characters in Epcot

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I’ll talk up a couple of the things that got lesser ratings there. It’s not wrong, just that I have outsized love of some of them, haha.

Mission space is not a very good space simulator, but it is an excellent simulator of a 2000s space movie.This was more acute when the exit music was pitch perfect for this sort of thing.

Turtle Talk is amazing, an incredibly fun sort of interactive magic that Disney is very, very good at. Universal’s versions - the transformers and donkey - are very fun but keyed toward adults, whereas Turtle Talk is basically an episode of kids say the darndest things every 30 minutes. I’ve never sat through it without laughing out loud at least a couple times.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Anya posted:

Gotta rock with Reflections of China - and Impressions de France - my two fav movies

Plus if you love characters - tons of characters in Epcot

I have to admit, I've never really explored the World Showcase beyond the rides. Next time I need to dedicate time to check out those films.

And yeah lots of character meet and greets. Last time I was there, it was early in the morning over by Regal Eagle and there were like 5 characters with photographers just hanging out. No line or anything. It was great. Got some good photos and was able to goof around with them a little bit. That's the best. If you get lucky and they aren't busy you can have a great experience.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
For some reason the Norway film always really did it for me. Just loved it. Do they even still show it? Even though it wasn't that long ago, I have no recollection of the Frozen ride exit.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

One time my wife and I were strolling around the back alley area of Morocco as we like to do because it’s pretty and never crowded, and there was literally nobody else there.

We were outside near one of the shops toward the very back of the pavilion (that little place where you can get sangria and Moroccan clothing) and heard a knocking on one of the windows. Inside, Jasmine and her handler were standing there waving at us and motioning for us to come in. We hung out and chatted with them for a minute and took a few photos. I guess they were just bored because they were stuck in a low-traffic character spot and they seemed genuinely excited to have guests to talk to.

It’s a minor thing but it was one of those fun little Disney moments that kind of sticks with you.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Sadly that Moroccan bazaar is gone. They turned it into a quick restaurant or something. Shame because that was pretty cool.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Sadly that Moroccan bazaar is gone. They turned it into a quick restaurant or something. Shame because that was pretty cool.

Post/name combo

that’s a bummer. I haven’t looked back there recently so I’ll have to check again in January

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

mkultra419 posted:

I'll take a look at Savi's as I'm a big enough Star Wars nerd to want a personalized light saber. Since flights/hotels/most meals are on the company dime I'm open to splurging a bit.
In that case, start looking for open reservation slots right now and absolutely do it if you can find one.

And if you do, I'd look up the styles and the options available in each one ahead of time so you go in knowing what you want and to build and can focus on the experience.

This is mine :)

alg posted:

We like Ogas but it is way too fuckin packed in there and we still have not gotten to sit in a booth. I wish they had outdoor tables or something too.

Tim Whatley posted:

Ogas should have a to go window
You two ought to be locked up for your own protection. The point is to be in a cantina. If you just want something to drink while you walk around, grab an alcoholic Blue Milk.

Darth TNT posted:

The story goes, when the Imagineers were designing Epcot, they couldn't decide between a future theme and a permanent World's Fair theme -- so someone pushed the two models together, and they built that.

Epcot is a figure 8. The front circle is the future section. This has just finished a major rebuild, but the rebuild didn't achieve many of its goals, due to the 1-2 punch of COVID and then Disney feuding with Desantis and not wanting to spend money in Florida any more. This is where the golf ball is and it's got an array of really good rides -- Spaceship Earth (the golf ball), Test Track, Soarin', Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind.

The back circle goes around a lagoon (where they do the nighttime light show) and is the World's Fair section. There are 11 pavilions representing different countries; each is staffed by natives of that country. This is where the culture and food you heard about lives. There are amazing restaurants and shops in each pavilion. Also, these days Epcot maintains a festival of some sort basically 365 days a year, cycling between Arts, Flower & Garden, Food & Wine, and Holiday. Regardless of the theme, there are going to be booths set up all over the place that sell drinks and small bites of foods from across the world, not only from the country whose pavilion is nearby, but other countries too. It is delicious and you can -- and should -- not make a dinner reservation one night and instead just walk around the world showcase, eating food from booths until you're full. Epcot was the first Disney park to sell alcoholic beverages, and "drinking around the world" is very popular, where you get the signature drink from each country and see how far you can make it. The booths offer an even wider array of drinks, because Disney knows you're doing this and they're cool with it, they just want your money.

There are also rides in this section, but they're lesser affairs. There's a Three Caballeros boat ride in Mexico that's cute and the line is a walk-on so you really should do that one, there's Remy's in France which is a trackless ride (that I thought was underwhelming and the line is terrible), and Frozen Forever After is in Norway, which is just a reskin of the previous ride that was in Norway, but it's also the only Frozen ride in all four parks, so if you've got daughters, well, you're doing it.