Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

My NECA power loader fell off of my monitor and broke its hip :(

Time to hit up the 40k people and learn how to model incredibly detailed battle wear.

Put some dry wall patch over it, some gray paint, then wash it with watered down white. Instant mini duct tape patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

madeintaipei posted:

Time to hit up the 40k people and learn how to model incredibly detailed battle wear.

Put some dry wall patch over it, some gray paint, then wash it with watered down white. Instant mini duct tape patches.

I bash on 40k a lot, but some of those kitbashes are incredibly well done (ork players were particularly known for it back when I played).

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It's actually not cosmetically bad damage at all, the joint just snapped. She stands on her own still, even though the hip actuator is separated. I've been meaning to fix it but it's just a display piece that sits on my right studio monitor (the left one has the Queen).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I swear I heard a commercial or read one of the backs of one of those and saw bug rocker on it. When I was 12 or so.

I just cracked open my Hicks figure and although the packaging doesn’t mention a “bug rocker”, the mini-comic that comes with the toy does mention it, so it does exist.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I just cracked open my Hicks figure and although the packaging doesn’t mention a “bug rocker”, the mini-comic that comes with the toy does mention it, so it does exist.

LET'S ROCK!!!!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

Yay! I knew I saw that somewhere!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Has there been any comics or books about predator vs terminator? I think a t800 vs a predator would be a good fight. Presumably the t800 would see the predator, camouflaged or not. But the predator has agility and, depending on the time frame, better weapons

Knuckle to knuckle I'd give it to the t800. Arnold got his rear end kicked in the first predator movie, but as a t800 I think he'd win...would be rad to see

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Has there been any comics or books about predator vs terminator? I think a t800 vs a predator would be a good fight. Presumably the t800 would see the predator, camouflaged or not. But the predator has agility and, depending on the time frame, better weapons

Knuckle to knuckle I'd give it to the t800. Arnold got his rear end kicked in the first predator movie, but as a t800 I think he'd win...would be rad to see

Predator has space alloy weapons and a plasma caster.

Would be worth watching though.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

Beachcomber posted:

Predator has space alloy weapons and a plasma caster.

Would be worth watching though.

But, what watt range is that plasma caster? 40w?

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Has there been any comics or books about predator vs terminator? I think a t800 vs a predator would be a good fight.

There's an Alien vs Predator vs Terminator comic series from Dark Horse.

No idea if it's good or not, but I'm sure somebody in the thread must have read it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Zombie Guy posted:

There's an Alien vs Predator vs Terminator comic series from Dark Horse.

No idea if it's good or not, but I'm sure somebody in the thread must have read it.

It’s awful, don’t read it.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I think it's also a sequel to alien resurrection lol.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

By default I'd give the edge to the Predator.

There was one poorly conceived shot in T2 which showed, in the future war, multiple T-800s on the battlefield, like infantry. If they are just cannon fodder for Skynet, then Predator gets the edge in any encounter.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

redshirt posted:

LET'S ROCK!!!!

I've surely posted this ITT before, but you sharing one of my favourite lines from Aliens reminded me that I wrote this tune like twelve years ago, which is chock full of samples immediately recognizable to fans.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Plasma caster probably trivializes the encounter for Preds. To make it a remotely fair fight you'd have to take away all the predators directed energy weapons and make it use kinetic and melee only along with the environment to win. Still edge to the Predator. T-800 is a lone tank, the Predator is a guerilla who can observe and wait to engage the tank at the most advantageous time and place.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The nets alone would probably be bad news for a T-800, and in melee I'd still think the Predator takes it (between their claws, spear, and discs made of space-metal). The T-1000 though, that's where it'd be more interesting. They could probably still tell apart a T-1000 mimicking something via one of their spectrum visors, but I think they'd need the energy weapons to properly finish one off.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Alien Drone - Remember when I promised to kill you last?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

It’s awful, don’t read it.

It is bad, bad. A total flustercuck of a story. The art is bizarre, too.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’ll just leave this here:

A Is for Alien: An ABC Book (20th Century Studios) (Little Golden Book) https://a.co/d/dVkHH2C

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Oh poo poo buying this for my daughter so hard

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Definitely late to the party, but I finally got around to Aliens: Fire team Elite. Anyone still playing that and want to shoot some aliens?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Michael Biehn had a health scare...
https://twitter.com/jenniferblancb/status/1737176032011301325?t=gMi-lKDZwM_mKTaN-KApdA&s=19

"I lived bitch"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Somebody wake up Hicks.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Somebody better run an MRI to make sure he doesn't have anything growing in his chest.

Or at least keep him away from any support beams near his cryo tube.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I finally broke down and watched Prometheus and Covenant.

I can't believe I'm writing this, but I didn't hate them. They weren't great, and I wish they weren't in the Alien universe, but once I accepted that - well, they weren't as bad as I thought they would be based on what I'd heard about them.

If nothing else they might give me ideas for the Alien rpg.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cessna posted:

I finally broke down and watched Prometheus and Covenant.

I can't believe I'm writing this, but I didn't hate them. They weren't great, and I wish they weren't in the Alien universe, but once I accepted that - well, they weren't as bad as I thought they would be based on what I'd heard about them.

If nothing else they might give me ideas for the Alien rpg.

The RPG as it stands cribs from them pretty heavily.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Xenomrph posted:

The RPG as it stands cribs from them pretty heavily.

A lot of what is in the rpg makes more sense after watching the movies. I figured that was the origin for a lot I didn't recognize. ("What's a neomorph? Or a hammerpede?")

I'll admit up front that I don't like a lot of the Alien EU that I've seen in comics or books. They go in a lot of directions that I really don't like; this is why I was very hesitant to watch Prometheus/Covenant. I was determined to stick with the first three movies, no more.

And there were a LOT of things I didn't like about Prometheus/Covenant, but not enough to make me reject them entirely. I suppose if I can skim some ideas and get a good game out of what was added I'm happy.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Having low expectations for a movie usually means you’ll be pleasantly surprised when you finally watch it.

I just watched The Marvels with my daughter and we had a great time.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Red Rox posted:

Having low expectations for a movie usually means you’ll be pleasantly surprised when you finally watch it.

Had you already watched the shows beforehand, or did you go in cold?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
When the MCU finally folds in the X-Men Universe we can finally get the Brood.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

When the MCU finally folds in the X-Men Universe we can finally get the Brood.

Is that related to the Tal Shiar?

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

redshirt posted:

Had you already watched the shows beforehand, or did you go in cold?

We had also watched Ms Marvel last year and liked it, and I bought her a Ms Marvel figure to hang with her Lady Thor figure.

I was the only one to have watched Wandavision but that didn’t seem to make any difference.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

So let me check my work here so I can nail down some background. As I understand it, and this has spoilers and questions:

The galaxy is a cruel and uncaring place. Thousands of years ago an advanced species of giants whose technology included advanced genetic engineering pushed humanity to sapience. Notably, one sacrifices himself to further this process; there's an ongoing theme of bringing creation out of destruction throughout the movies.

After a while the giant Engineers became disappointed, so they sent out horseshoe-shaped spaceships loaded with a biological weapons (aliens/xenomorphs affected by the "black liquid") to wipe out their creation. This didn't work and the ships didn't make it, so humanity survived. Did I miss why this failed?

The "black liquid" is either related to or is the same substance that jump-started humanity. It's effects are unpredictable, but it generally makes whatever is exposed to it smarter or meaner or stronger or a combination of those by altering it's DNA at a base level. It kills engineers if it's dropped on them, it makes worms grow into bigger, nastier worms, and makes people give birth to squids - you name it, it's nasty genetic chaos given form.

Seemingly every creature created or affected by this stuff falls into the xenomorph's reproductive cycle or forcibly implanting eggs which kill their host like a Glyptapanteles wasp. Is this just a trait of being affected by the black liquid?

Also, the black liquid doesn't seem to do anything to synthetic androids directly - it doesn't morph them - but David decided to tinker with it anyway and ended up reverse-engineering the xenomorph alien, almost. Right?

And at some point in the future a bunch of space truckers find the abandoned remains of one of the Engineer ships loaded with biological weapons and wakes one up, thus starting a new cycle. There's also still cans of black liquid and potentially surviving engineers out there waiting for people to trip over them. Corporations and governments especially want the black liquid to drop on to their enemies; of course, this will utterly wreck humanity, but they don't care. Correct?

What killed the Engineer who was decapitated by the door - what was he running from? Do we get any hints?

What is the "Deacon" thing at the end? Just another xenomorph variant, "Black Liquid * (Engineer + Squid) = Deacon?"

The "neomorphs" - the pale almost-xenomorphs - are they just an early stage of the classic xenomorph? Is it a matter of "add black liquid to the neomorphs to get xenomorphs?"

Does anything stand out as wrong? I just want to fill in some gaps in my understanding and make sure I have it right before I start the rpg.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Red Rox posted:

Yeah, same. I don't think it deserves anywhere near the level of vitriol it's been subject to, but any discourse related to Captain Marvel (film and character) is just so utterly toxic - not to mention legitimately divorced from reality when it comes to the first film* - that it immediately puts my red flag detetector on full alert.

It's not a masterpiece, and no one is going to accuse it of being such, but the gags are generally solid, I enjoyed the action scenes and the film didn't overstay its welcome. The planet where everyone communicates by singing, I thought could gently caress off. To me, it felt like such a Joss Whedon joke and I can't stand that prick and his work. There was clear subtext around Danvers' sexuality, and apparently a line confirming it was cut at the script stage or thereabouts, but that's not the film's fault - hold Disney corporate accountable for that.

*The first Captain Marvel film has been retroactively branded a failure it seems, when commercially and critically, it did reasonably well. I'm curious as to what metric is used to brand it a failure beyond perpetually adolescent manchildren having tantrums about their hurt fee-fees.

And speaking of Joss Whedon, him whinging about Alien: Resurrection going "ooh waahhh they did this wrong and that wrong and the other thing wrong, and everyone did it wrong except for me." Nah gently caress off mate, your script was a load of loving poo poo, mate. What an utter loving tosser.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 21, 2023

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Are you an artificial person remote piloting a drop ship?

Or are you a paranormal investigator looking for subterranean psycho-magnetheric ectoplasm?

If so, come on down to Radioshack for a Realistic Stereo Eletret Microphone 33-1065!

I just watched the movie again last night, noticed this, and wanted to share.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

edogawa rando posted:

Yeah gently caress off mate, your script was a load of loving poo poo, mate. What an utter loving tosser.

I feel like I’ve seen you say literally this about a number of NRL coaches too.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

I'm pretty sure the device in Ray's hands has also been re-used and featured in a number of sci-fi movies.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm pretty sure the device in Ray's hands has also been re-used and featured in a number of sci-fi movies.
The PKE Meter. Yup, it also appears in John Carpenter's They Live. Maybe others too. It was originally made from a shoe polisher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Prop design for sci-fi must be such a goddamn fun job. Actually a friend of mine works on the digital side of things and the other night he said he's on some TV show now where he's designing all sorts of "Halo-rear end, Mass Effect-rear end guns" that'll be turned into props from his renders. Something like that, anyway. And I'm turbo jealous.