Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

new york city and state hospitalizations up 20% in one day

zoomed out to show last year's peak for reference. 20% in one day is the largest % jump in one day that i can find since... winter 2021 :ohdear:

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/daily-hospitalization-summary

great time for my wife to head into the city for a doctor's appointment!! on an insanely crowded train!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
I just got my kid tickets to a comedy show for April. Ticket is the first row, corner next to the central aisle, so there's as much airflow as I can get, and there will of course be an Aura.

I was hoping that by April, we'd maybe be in the lower end of the curve (after Christmas, before spring break), and we could maybe even take the train. Kids love trains.

It's hard to plan the logistics of a trip when you don't know how risky any action is. My driving downtown in a major city will almost assuredly get us killed, though.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

NeonPunk posted:

So I'm hearing that some hospitals are now reinstating their policy of doing a covid PCR tests on every patients being admitted. That's uhh probably a big deal?

We haven't gotten to this but we did require masks in a very half based way.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
sweet my PCP is doing video visits again. probably a bad sign

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Baddog posted:

Oh, there's a non-AI translation now of that Harvard business review article on long covid impact to business

https://www.manager-magazin.de/harvard/long-covid-and-the-economy-there-is-money-in-prevention-a-54022db9-428f-41d7-b71c-3f9befa58b0e

awesome, hell yeah.

to get around the paywall to actually read it, pasting the url into https://12ft.io/ worked.

maxwellhill has issued a correction as of 19:41 on Dec 20, 2023

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Baddog posted:

Oh, there's a non-AI translation now of that Harvard business review article on long covid impact to business

https://www.manager-magazin.de/harvard/long-covid-and-the-economy-there-is-money-in-prevention-a-54022db9-428f-41d7-b71c-3f9befa58b0e

thank you for posting this. I'm so glad we don't have to contend with AI translations for this one, it's such a good article

and we can see the media finally! Interesting to see that David Steadson's cumulative risk chart made it into the article sans the 1% and 3% lines. Here's the chart he's got pinned to his Twitter account,

and here's the version appearing in the article, hell if I know why he altered it for the article

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

yeah, thanks for these. My spouse really wants to go visit her family with our kids over the NYE weekend. Generally we've been pretty Open Biden this year, but, we live in a remote area compared to where she's talking about going and poo poo is really bad right now and we just had loving COVID and they have ongoing fatigue from it. I am hoping that these nice graphics are persuasive that even if it's kind of an annoying pain in the rear end to kick the can on this trip down the road a little bit, if we're going to do it, it makes sense to wait until we're past the peak and decline of whatever the gently caress hellscape we're going into and past the "return to school" 2nd hit round of transmission.

The fact that we just had COVID doesn't mean much to me beyond not wanting to get it again. My spouse had been boosted ~3 weeks prior to getting tagged; if being at the height of vax immunity didn't do jack poo poo to protect them (they got sicker than any of us, in some ways), then I don't believe that being at the height of post-COVID immune fuckery is going to protect me from anything except maybe a too long lifespan.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Interesting thread:

https://twitter.com/TheManeCharactr/status/1737447112613204179?s=20

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://www.burstoralcare.com/product/probiotic
seems reputable

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

20$ for a single bottle? That's kinda ridiculous price to pay for a probiotic pills. I'm just gonna stick to my Cool Plus Probiotic diary drinks, it's cheaper and at least it's a nice way to finish off my beets dinner

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I've been wondering for a while if all the CPC/iota carregenan/nitric oxide/essential oil rinsing treatments (given that they're all different and have different mechanisms of action but have comparable effects on infection rate and duration) were having some kind of common knock-on effect on ph or microbiota or something, and that latter mystery effect is what's actually interfering with the virus rather than direct action by the chemical in question.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
not the first time i've heard. i had oral probiotics recommended to me by someone in the community for the throat blisters i had while infected. bought some NOW brand Oralbiotic, the only one I could find called that. added to my arsenel of "maybe works, who the gently caress knows" bottles that i keep on hand for use if infected.

Paxlovid
CBD (not THC, which interferes.)
Famitodine
Lactobacillus plantarum (probiotic, found in many bottles labelled "PB8")
Green tea
Supplemental Vitamin D
Supplemental Lutein
Frozen Natto (is there an easier-to-find source of Nattokinase? Natto-Serra pills?)
CPC mouthwash
baby aspririn (for clots)
oralbiotic for throat blisters
Warm bath for chest pain
Fluids, rest, keeping heart rate down, food, tons of sleep

maxwellhill has issued a correction as of 21:18 on Dec 20, 2023

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

maxwellhill posted:

not the first time i've heard. i had oral probiotics recommended to me by someone in the community for the throat blisters i had while infected. bought some NOW brand Oralbiotic, the only one I could find called that. added to my arsenel of "maybe works, who the gently caress knows" bottles that i keep on hand for use if infected.
Just so folks are aware, that specific brand needs to stay refrigerated after opening. Some other formulations don’t need to be. Not a huge deal, but it could be a nuisance while traveling.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
ofc it’s the probiotic that is a pain in the rear end to get. what about for kids?

guess general probiotics are ok according to that twitter thread?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

sonatinas posted:

ofc it’s the probiotic that is a pain in the rear end to get. what about for kids?

guess general probiotics are ok according to that twitter thread?

That's just one brand, there's a million oral probiotics with strep k12 in them. Check the supplement aisle at your grocery store or pharmacy.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
lol

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
greensburl still looking kinda ok, gonna live my life

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
lmao

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

spiritual bypass posted:

greensburl still looking kinda ok, gonna live my life

High Point too makes u think

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Phlag posted:

Just so folks are aware, that specific brand needs to stay refrigerated after opening. Some other formulations don’t need to be. Not a huge deal, but it could be a nuisance while traveling.

oh NOW you tell me

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
Alright, I had close exposure to someone covid positive and this thread has me thinking about some kind of poop brew swab scenario, this better not be some kind of elaborate prank. What exactly is the deal with poop and RATs?

e: Like I recall people talking about letting their poo poo just kinda, brew, in the toilet for 20 mins and then swabbing the water? Is this real?? Am I being owned???

Samuel Glompers has issued a correction as of 23:02 on Dec 20, 2023

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Samuel Glompers posted:

What exactly is the deal with poop and RATs?

new title

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008
I think the best part about the US experiencing a two year long medical emergency as a nation, not one single time was creating a universal healthcare system that consolidates costs and makes accessing healthcare easier was ever discussed. Zero interest despite the majority of Americans regardless of political affiliation agreeing with it. God bless America.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

past the peak

Covid over

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
From whence do you get these graphs, and are they local or regional / national?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the hendersonville graph comes from the ncdhhs website but that's state specific

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I work at my state's public health dept and the big ol Christmas party is tomorrow woooo! At least attendance is optional. Lots of people going though!

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
make sure to wear your xmas tree costume

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Samuel Glompers posted:

Alright, I had close exposure to someone covid positive and this thread has me thinking about some kind of poop brew swab scenario, this better not be some kind of elaborate prank. What exactly is the deal with poop and RATs?

e: Like I recall people talking about letting their poo poo just kinda, brew, in the toilet for 20 mins and then swabbing the water? Is this real?? Am I being owned???

In all sincerity, I don't want to expose family members to covid this Christmas and am doing the insane balancing act of the drama for cancelling vs potentially giving grandma a deadly virus. I'd truly appreciate any advice the thread has, I'm looking back through past posts and haven't found anything about it so far

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
just do some regular rats roughly four days after exposure don't worry about your poop lol swab your throat first goon

You'll either be symptomatic and you should absolutely assume it's Covid at four days or you'll be far enough into the course where it'll start showing up on rats

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Gunshow Poophole posted:

just do some regular rats roughly four days after exposure don't worry about your poop lol swab your throat first goon

Alright, poo poo brew first, then nose, then mouth

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Samuel Glompers posted:

Alright, poo poo brew first, then nose, then mouth

also stick the swab as deep into your mouth as you comfortably can and then forcefully cough several times while it's in there.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

but also if you:
a) test negative right before going,
b) wear a high-quality, well-sealed mask the entire time, and
c) up their filtration and/or ventilation game in any ways you can

then your chances of transmitting covid are really really really really low.

also
d) get your grandma pax asap if you're in usa

i suppose i'm assuming this is a "stop by for a few hours" deal, not a "stay for the whole weekend deal" though. but maybe a hotel could turn the latter into the former if needed?

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Had to call my cable company about something - poor guy on the phone could barely string together 3 words without coughing and he was very clearly congested. The increase in sick people this fall so far has been really noticeable compared to last year.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

If you're not symptomatic, testing negative on throat + nose RATs and wearing a sealed, unvented N95 the whole time, I wouldn't worry about it. If you were testing negative on a PCR or home equivalent like a Lucira or Metrix, I wouldn't even be worried about it enough to wear a mask, personally. Even if you end up getting COVID after that, a same-day negative on a molecular amplification test means it's just vanishingly unlikely you're shedding enough virus at that point to give it to someone else.

Samuel Glompers posted:

In all sincerity, I don't want to expose family members to covid this Christmas and am doing the insane balancing act of the drama for cancelling vs potentially giving grandma a deadly virus. I'd truly appreciate any advice the thread has, I'm looking back through past posts and haven't found anything about it so far

Taking steps to avoid giving your family a potentially serious illness when you know you were recently exposed to a positive person is admirable, but more importantly it's something you can control and have some agency about deciding. Other people's interpretation of whether that's overkill or ruining family Christmas isn't something you can control and it's not up to you. Act accordingly.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Pingui posted:

Not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I think - technically speaking - COVID should have your silhouette twice on the side of its cubicle.

I hope she does

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
welp mom has a sore throat

gonna drop by with some tests because she ran out

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Washington State's Respiratory Illness Dashboard.

Positive clinical cases (tests administered at CLIA certified or CLIA waived labs) as reported by healthcare facility.

pre:
Cases      Changes in state counts reported:
week of:    3wk ago  2wk ago  1wk ago  This week Wkly Trend	Total
Dec 10            -        -        -    + 2,368      ↓6.8%     2,368
Dec 03            -        -    2,347      + 194      ↑4.0%     2,541
Nov 26            -    2,284      134       + 25     ↑20.9%     2,443
Nov 19        1,870      113       36        + 2      ↑2.8%     2,021
Nov 12          114       13        9        + 2      ↓1.8%     1,965
Rest of '23       8       27        6       + 12              129,649
Emergency Visits with confirmed COVID-19 in Washington state facilities. Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence. Most recent week of data is incomplete.

pre:
ED Visits      Changes in Recent Counts:
Dec 10            -        -        -      + 889     ↓2.8%        889
Dec 03            -        -      825       + 90     ↓3.3%        915
Nov 26            -      820       73       + 53    ↑25.1%        946
Nov 19          715       41        -          -    ↑12.5%        756
Nov 12           16        -        -          -     ↓6.9%        672
Rest of '23      15        1        -          -               42,788

New hospital admissions in Washington state facilities with laboratory confirmed COVID-19 as reported by the state and HHS. Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence. Most recent week of data is incomplete.

pre:
Hosp. Admissions      Changes in Recent Counts:
Dec 10            -        -        -      + 261    ↓14.1%        261
Dec 03            -        -      309        - 5    ↑18.3%        304
Nov 26            -      244       13          -    ↑15.8%        257
Nov 19          223        1       -2          -    ↓13.6%        222
Nov 12           17        -        -          -     ↑2.4%        257
Rest of '23      83        -        -          -               12,507
Total occupied inpatient beds (excludes ICU beds) used in Washington state facilities with diagnostic codes for COVID-19 (U07.1) and pneumonia due to COVID-19 (J12.82). Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence.

pre:
Beds in Use      Changes in Recent Counts:	
Dec 10            -        -        -    + 1,792    ↑10.3%      1,792
Dec 03            -        -    1,624          -    ↑14.3%      1,624
Nov 26            -    1,414        7          -     ↑6.3%      1,421
Nov 19        1,337        -        -          -     ↓7.7%      1,337
Nov 12            -        -        -          -     ↓5.5%      1,449
Rest of '23       -        -        -          -               83,069
Total occupied ICU beds used in Washington state facilities with diagnostic codes for COVID-19 (U07.1) and pneumonia due to COVID-19 (J12.82). Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence.

pre:
ICU in Use      Changes in Recent Counts:	
Dec 10            -        -        -      + 196    ↑33.3%        196
Dec 03            -        -      147          -    ↑10.5%        147
Nov 26            -      133        -          -    ↓20.8%        133
Nov 19          168        -        -          -    ↓11.1%        168
Nov 12            -        -        -          -    ↑35.0%        189
Rest of '23       -        -        -          -                9,478
Recent deaths certified/coded as, or referencing to, COVID-19 in WHALES with a corresponding positive lab (including postmortem testing) as reported in WDRS. Most recent two weeks of data are incomplete.

pre:
Deaths    Changes in Recent Counts:
Dec 10            -        -        -          -         -          -
Dec 03            -        -        -       + 34     ↑3.0%         34
Nov 26            -        -       31        + 2    ↑73.7%         33
Nov 19            -       17        2          -    ↓34.5%         19
Nov 12           21        6        2          -    ↑31.8%         29
Rest of '23       -        3        2          -                1,359
Notes on Data and Limitations:
  • In this post I provide alternative visualizations for the overall weekly disease activity and reporting on weekly confirmed case positives, emergency department (ED) visits, new hospitalizations, total inpatients/occupied hospital beds, and confirmed deaths. Additionally I provide changes in COVID-19 activity due to backfill.
  • Trends are calculated based on the % change in the totals for the most recent week of data compared to the second most recent. This differs from the state's trend % as they are doing a % change of a % of ED visits and hospitalizations, respectively.
  • Columns with a bright bar are the new additions for this week's report. Darker columns are from previously published weekly reports. An outlined column is where previously established numbers have been reduced with this week's report.
  • These graphs were put together by using a multitude of resources spanning from the Washington State Department of Health all the way to the CDC and HHS. All of these state and federal reports use the standardized Sunday-Saturday 7-day definition.
  • Reinfections are only counted when equal to or greater than 90 days since prior recorded infection unless both samples were sequenced and found to be different subvariants.
  • All numbers except for cases and deaths are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence. Totals are extrapolated by applying the state's weekly hospitalizations or ED visit % to the HHS' reporting of hospitalizations and ED visits due to all causes. Beds occupied by COVID-19 is the weekly average multiplied by 7 days, and beds occupied by influenza is from HHS reports.
  • A COVID-19, Influenza, or RSV death is only counted by the state if data is complete (cause of death is attributed to the disease and there is an associated laboratory positive test with no period of complete recovery between illness and death). The only exception is that RSV does not need a test, only that it is indicated as cause on the death certificate.
---
Sources:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

euphronius posted:

lol
Jesus that delta wave was a doozy

The delta wave, which killed hundreds of thousands of Americans, is the little spike right before the giant mountain. That mountain is Omicron.