Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The AWESOME Way of Kings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
There is NO WAY a KING could be THIS AWESOME

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The Way of Blings
Words of Sapience
Oatbinger
Theorem of War
Trimmed and Couth

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

eke out posted:

i bet the ghostbloods stuff gets pushed forward some, it's hard to imagine him actually taking three full years to write it all without releasing any

This, not releasing much cosmere for that long a time is just a bad idea, he's got a huge fanbase but this is just risky.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

socialsecurity posted:

This, not releasing much cosmere for that long a time is just a bad idea, he's got a huge fanbase but this is just risky.

Is this the only fantasy series you read

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

Subvisual Haze posted:

His writing the 4 short stories also coincided with pushing back SA5's release date a year. I'm not judging the guy, maybe real family life is demanding more of his time, maybe the muse is getting quiet, but his output has slowed a fair bit from his prime and that forward schedule is basically admitting the same.

eke out posted:

i bet the ghostbloods stuff gets pushed forward some, it's hard to imagine him actually taking three full years to write it all without releasing any

He's said before that one Stormlight book = 3 regular books, and one Stormlight book takes him 1.5 years. (And of course we can all do the math to see this is accurate.)

If he's budgeting a lot more time in his timeline than necessary, I'm betting on one of two things:

1. He's being extremely conservative so as not to disappoint anyone.

2. There's something that is either already planned or probable that he expects will consume a decent portion of his time. Like, say, films.

We know he's hoping for films. He already messed up by jumping the gun with his "I expect we'll be filming something within the next year" comment last year, so he's going to be vague and promise nothing from here on out. I'm leaning toward #2.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
We know it usually takes about 18 months for Brando to write a SA book, and he thinks of them as trilogies, so it should take about 6-ish months to write a non-SA novel.

We also know he's usually been having about 18 month breaks between writing SA books to write other things.

I ended up trying to make a visual of it:

Keep in mind this is when he'd be presumably writing them, not publishing them.

That said, I would have expected from this that SA6 would have been in 2030, not 2033. If he's writing all of Ghostbloods and Elantris before publishing them, then the whole timeframe of 2028 through 2030 he has to write while those books are coming out, which would have worked for a 2030 release of SA6.

I suspect he's either left time up his sleeve for other projects (like the movies / tv shows) or simply doesn't want to commit that far out to what he's doing.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Is this the only fantasy series you read

No but I have fallen off others due to new books in X amount of time, I am picky though I don't like much of the genre. Like people keep recommending Dresden to me but after 5 books he creepily described like 40 women and how super hot they were and how much they wanted to gently caress the main character that kinda thing drives me off and it's common.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
He's still going to be releasing Cosmere books faster than just about any other Author publishes books, any books.

socialsecurity posted:

Meanwhile, in the ASOIAF subreddit...

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
He's releasing a Cosmere book nearly every year though? I barely remember White Sand, having a properly written novel will be very good. But even if White Sand doesn't count, he will be releasing SA5 in 2024, maybe Horneater in 2026, Ghostbloods 1 in 2028, and then a Ghostblood and an Elantris book in both 2029 and 2030. So the only Cosmere-less gaps will be in 2025 and 2027, if Horneater comes out in 2026. That's not so bad imho.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Torrannor posted:

He's releasing a Cosmere book nearly every year though? I barely remember White Sand, having a properly written novel will be very good. But even if White Sand doesn't count, he will be releasing SA5 in 2024, maybe Horneater in 2026, Ghostbloods 1 in 2028, and then a Ghostblood and an Elantris book in both 2029 and 2030. So the only Cosmere-less gaps will be in 2025 and 2027, if Horneater comes out in 2026. That's not so bad imho.

True it looks better laid out like that, I am just perhaps greedy.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Man, listening to everything being said twice as people who don't speak each other's language talk through an interpreter is not a fun experience in the audiobook for White Sand.

I've also noticed a few times they left in multiple takes from the actors or just straight up repeated whole paragraphs. The editing on this series is below average for the normally high quality production values in a graphic audio production.

Edit:

The General has the same VA as Sigzil. I don't know if he's also supposed to be the same person since Hoid (who was his master) is also hanging around here, but I presume this is just a casting luck of the draw and not deep lore.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 20, 2023

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

mewse posted:

The secret projects were a result of covid lockdowns and sadly I don't think they'll be repeated.

Not with that attitude it won't. I expect everyone to do their part in licking door handles at the airport to start up another global plague so this one dude will write books slightly faster.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

pointlessone posted:

Not with that attitude it won't. I expect everyone to do their part in licking door handles at the airport to start up another global plague so this one dude will write books slightly faster.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Finally finished the Mistborn Era 1 saga. HoA definitely threw some twists in there, things I didn’t expect.

i, unfortunately, am the hero of ages.

I wanted to learn way more about the Inquisitors and the Terrisman people, but I’m satisfied with how he finished the first trilogy.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

End of White Sand 2:

The Lady Judge taking Ais off the case (that she was super close to closing) to protect a man she hates just seems to obviously hang a lantern over her as the real antagonist here. Obviously this guy Ais was chasing has to be connected to the whole Sand Master plot if it's to not be a waste of words, and even if I have some issues with this series I trust Sanderson to not have plotted out the outline so badly here to have that whole thread go nowhere.

Plus her impossible "get everyone to vote for you" hurdle to Kenton just screams that she was probably behind the attack too and is trying to finish off the Sand Masters legally.

Edit:
Start of White Sand 3:
Khrissalla's two remaining professor companions are 100% the real assassins sent to kill her if she gets too close to the secret of sand mastery. I have to assume that Baon killed the captain and other officer and they too were assassins sent after her.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 22, 2023

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

getting around to listening to the most recent livestream and [all cosmere spoilers]

the very first bit about how Shallan's ability to see the future is special, beyond what other lightweavers can do, that it's been seeded in the books since WoR, and that some listeners have probably figured out what's going on -- if her mom isn't Chana, he's purposefully trolling us about it at this point

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

eke out posted:

getting around to listening to the most recent livestream and [all cosmere spoilers]

the very first bit about how Shallan's ability to see the future is special, beyond what other lightweavers can do, that it's been seeded in the books since WoR, and that some listeners have probably figured out what's going on -- if her mom isn't Chana, he's purposefully trolling us about it at this point

Continuing all Cosmere spoilers - while I still buy the Chana-Shallan theory, my read on what he was alluding to is that it’s because Shallan has two Cryptic bonds. It reminds me of Vin’s ability to pierce copper clouds because of her earring.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

MildShow posted:

Continuing all Cosmere spoilers - while I still buy the Chana-Shallan theory, my read on what he was alluding to is that it’s because Shallan has two Cryptic bonds. It reminds me of Vin’s ability to pierce copper clouds because of her earring.

this is a very reasonable point i hadn't thought about. after sunlit man it does seem more plausible to believe that there are lingering abilities even from dead spren/broken bonds that can show up (also of course with Kal/Syl and Adolin/Maya, we've also seen there's more like a continuum of "broken bond" and "dead spren" than a binary)

perhaps rather than reaching for some deeper magical reason re: Heralds it's as simple as an additive resonance making her illusions in particular, the thing her order is uniquely best at, stronger than they should be

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

eke out posted:

All cosmere. when does she see the future? I'm blanking on this

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

RC Cola posted:

Me too, but you messed up your spoiler tag.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

M_Gargantua posted:

Me too, but you messed up your spoiler tag.

It's right in your quote (I fixed it fast)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

RC Cola posted:

it's specifically this question https://wob.coppermind.net/events/526/#e16361

quote:

Q: We’ve seen Shallan’s drawings appear to make people into “better versions of themselves.” But we also see her draw Yalb surviving the shipwreck, and later find out he did. Is she actually seeing the future in which she just happens to inspire people to be better? If so, this would make Wit’s warning to her in Oathbringer more concerning.

Brandon Sanderson
As will all sort of future sight/foretelling in the cosmere, it is not necessarily telling the future so much as seeing possibilities. And Shallan has… we’ll get into this in Book Five. Shallan’s a little extra good at this, for Spiritual mumbo jumbo. (It’s not necessarily just Spiritual mumbo jumbo, 17th Shard.) In this case, we have a very distinct reason why this is happening with Shallan that you might be able to put together. It’s pretty obvious. But you should be able to see these things with Shallan very early in the books. As early as Words of Radiance, I was sticking in little nods to this. She is able to grab glimpses of the Spiritual Realm in ways that even other Lightweavers can’t do. Lightweaving always has a bit of this, right? And this comes back to what’s going on with the Realmatic Theory and Plato’s Theory of the Forms as kind of a foundational text that helped me develop this in my mind. You’re seeing more perfect versions of who you could be. When she’s doing a sketch, she’s sometimes sketching not who you are, but who you could be.

We already knew about how it was kind of a spiritual connection to a potential future that they could be, but I believe this is the first confirmation that there's something here that, explicitly, other Lightweavers can't do -- people speculated it was the specialty of the order or some kind of unique ability they have, rather than something special to Shallan in particular.

eke out fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 22, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

White Sand volume 3

It is going to be alcohol that's the key to growing your sand Mastery ability isn't it? We got some near over mastery already earlier in this volume and it didn't come with the corresponding increase in his ability. However I think he is probably right that the Masters had been keeping the method to improve your Mastery ability secret. The only other prohibition mentioned so far was the one against alcohol. And it would seem likely that he may not have recognized alcohol in the drink they took back and volume one if he had never had it before. That would explain his sudden and unexpected growth in his ability then too

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Still early Words of Radiance - I’m sure it will be answered eventually but I’m still very confused as to why the Listeners killed Gavilar. But even more perplexing is why they’ve been okay with six years of the Alethi trying to genocide them. My only guess is that Gavilar had some connection to Odium or something of the sort. But via the interludes, Eshonai laments how her people have been massacred. Like… in six years why haven’t any of the Listeners tried to explain the situation to the Alethi. Be like “yo. We can shapeshift. And here’s some information that your king was up to bad poo poo and we had to stop him.” The more I learn about the Listeners, the more it feels like they’re kinda idiots.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Oh don't worry, it gets addressed. :)

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Kind of generic cosmere spoilers? From the live stream, was this brought up yet?

Lews Therin Telescope posted:

In Way of Kings, Hoid’s monologue talks about three great talents: Invention, Artistry, and Intellect.

Brandon Sanderson
We’ll just stop that one right there. Hey, you’re smart. We’ll stop there. Special RAFO; I’m not even finishing your question. I know what you’re gonna ask, and you’re very smart. Go pat yourself on the back; you’re very smart.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/526/#e16398

That's definitely the 16th shard, Intellect/Intelligence, right? Especially with the way he stopped it mid question.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Well I have finished the White Sand Series and the 4 System Essays: Selish, Scadrial, Taldain, and Threnodite Systems.

White Sand:

I guess I was wrong about the Lady Judge being the big bad, his "overmastered" friend was the one behind it all. And I was wrong about alcohol being the key to more Sand Mastering power as that never came back up. It was just a matter of overmastering to a lesser extent and letting yourself recover like working out your muscles.

I was right about Khris's bodyguard and her professor companions. Though it wasn't both of the professors who were out to kill her (and her former betrothed), just one.

Oh, and the general, despite being played by the same actor, was clearly not Sigzil since he died lol.

I wasn't an enormous fan of this series. It got somewhat better, but I still felt that turning around all those factions in two weeks really beggers belief even having finished it.

System Essays:

These, uh, certainly illuminate the magic system with only like 2 minutes of audiobook time per lol. Learned that basically all the systems' power systems are founded on the Shards of Adonalsium, even if they go by other names. Preservation and Ruin form a pair for instance in the Scadrian system. It sounds like basically all magic, across all worlds is investiture of some portion of the shards of their world. And that they use this power in one the 3 realms, physical, cognitive, or spiritual. For instance the shades in the Threnodite sysem (from Silence's story) are largely spren who exist primarily in the cognitive and spiritual realm. I don't suppose spren are similarly susceptible to silver? Probably not, since if humanity's common perception of a ideal, emotion, or natural force is what creates them, then it may just be the collective agreement that the shades can be affected by silver is what creates that weakness there.

Finally, the writer of these essays is clearly from Darkside of the White Sand series and hails from a "University of Silverlight" which I have to assume is a Darkside university. It leads me to think that the other world-travelers like Hoid may be from Darkside as they are the only one who've demonstrated an ability to travel between the worlds by virtue of this essay writer. Aside from the shards themselves obviously.

There was also no essay for the Stormlight Archive world. Did I miss this somehow?
Edit oh wait that was Threnodite, Odium got a mention there destroying Ambition. It's just that the essay focused on Silence's world rather than on Stormlight's

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 22, 2023

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
The Essay for the Stormlight Archive world is the Rosharan essay. Arcanum Unbounded was published between Words of Radiance and Oathbringer, and Edgedancer was part of it, so I would say you can comfortably read the Rosharan essay. The map with it is also extremely interesting!

If you had to take one guess as to who is writing these essays based on what you've read, who would it be?

Edit: Did you forget to list the Drominad Essay? There's no reason not to read it now. You've only read four of the six it looks like.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 23, 2023

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Learned that basically all the systems' power systems are founded on the Shards of Adonalsium, even if they go by other names. Preservation and Ruin form a pair for instance in the Scadrian system.

I thought you'd read at least some Mistborn? You should've known that bit already.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

pik_d posted:

The Essay for the Stormlight Archive world is the Rosharan essay. Arcanum Unbounded was published between Words of Radiance and Oathbringer, and Edgedancer was part of it, so I would say you can comfortably read the Rosharan essay. The map with it is also extremely interesting!

If you had to take one guess as to who is writing these essays based on what you've read, who would it be?

Edit: Did you forget to list the Drominad Essay? There's no reason not to read it now. You've only read four of the six it looks like.

Oh I did forget those two.

As for who I think wrote these essays...
Well what I know from them is that they are from Darkside, and travel the Shadsmar, if they were in Roshar they'd look really short or tiny (based on how the described everyone there as "giants"), and they are neither a religious figure or philosopher, but can speak confidentanly on topics of magic. I don't think it's Hoid. Hoid was never called out as especially short in Stormlight (no one comes to mind either of being notably short from that series actually).

There are only a couple known Darksiders groups, Kenton's mother and Khrissalla and her crew. Of those, Kenton's mother or Khrissalla herself would stand out to me as the most likely. Kenton's Mother because she was obviously a traveller, in her willingness to go to Lightside in the first place. Makes it at least plausible she could have been a world traveller as well.

Khrissalla would be my other choice as she was a scholar in addition to traveller. And was really digging into the investiture of the sands on her world. The only reason I put her below Kenton's mother is beause the style of the writing of the essays didn't really sound like her pattern of speech. Though that could just be due to the more formal nature of those essays.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

I thought you'd read at least some Mistborn? You should've known that bit already.

I knew Ruin and Preservations as forces or gods in that world. Not that they were same species of entity as say Odium or Honor.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I knew Ruin and Preservations as forces or gods in that world. Not that they were same species of entity as say Odium or Honor.
Ah, I see. Surprise!!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Some more essay thoughts:

I’m beginning to think that Hoid is one of the shards.

Jumping back to the Stormlight books. There was a writer of some of the chapter beginning blurbs that I thought was the companion of Wit/Hoid. As he mentions in one of his lines he was speaking to someone who had named themselves after what the deamed to be their best quality. “Wit” fits that perfectly.

Anyway, so that writer talked about a contempoary of his doing this:

quote:

Ati was once a kind and generous man, and you saw what became of him. Rayse, on the other hand, was among the most loathsome, crafty, and dangerous individuals I had ever met.

He holds the most frightening and terrible of all of the Shards. Ponder on that for a time, you old reptile, and tell me if your insistence on nonintervention holds firm. Because I assure you, Rayse will not be similarly inhibited.
One need only look at the aftermath of his brief visit to Sel to see proof of what I say.
In case you have turned a blind eye to that disaster, know that Aona and Skai are both dead, and that which they held has been Splintered. Presumably to prevent anyone from rising up to challenge Rayse.

Which points out that “Rayse” was a shard holder and describes his visit to Sel as a disaster. Looking through the essays, Odium is said to have splintered “Devotion, Dominion, Honor, and perhaps others throughout the cosmere.” Devotion and Dominion were the shards who resided Sel’s system. Which potentially links Rayse and Odium as the same entity unless Rayse brought some other calamity to that world other than the shattering of its two shards.

That the writer considers himself a contemporary of Rayse and who seems to be calling out Wit. And Rayse potentially being Odium, that probably make the three of them shards.

Also “Wit” just kind of fits the naming convention of many of the other shards like “Devotion, Honor, Preservation”.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Some more essay thoughts:

I’m beginning to think that Hoid is one of the shards.
Okay, the stuff that's not a spoiler first: You're on the right track, but you're muddling your sources -- the epigraph in which the writer needles the addressee about being named after their best quality is in Words of Radiance. The epigraphs you've quoted are from Way of Kings.

Slight spoiler, I don't think you'll feel bad if you mouseover this: You mixed them up because the epigraphs in WoR are the response to the letter sent in the epigraphs of WoK. The person named after the quality wrote the first letter, begging for help against Rayse. The response is the person who was begged writing back to agree that Rayse is a tremendous threat, but that they consider Rayse to be safely contained, and will offer no assistance.

Your supposition will be directly brought up and definitively answered as you progress in Stormlight Archives.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 23, 2023

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

big mean giraffe posted:

Kind of generic cosmere spoilers? From the live stream, was this brought up yet?

That's definitely the 16th shard, Intellect/Intelligence, right? Especially with the way he stopped it mid question.

It fits best, more than being any other missing Proper Nouns. Love the Rafo level 2 on that question. He can't even speak it out loud

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Spoiler for cosmere up to jussst before Rhythm of War.

That’s the other three Dawnshards, right? I definitely don’t recognize those as shards.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

ConfusedUs posted:

That’s the other three Dawnshards, right? I definitely don’t recognize those as shards.

None of those match the convention of the known Dawnshard. Change, which Hoid says is a "Command, the will of a god". Nor do they sound like Hoid's, which is described as "an Intent that is diametrically opposed to violence and harm".

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

ConfusedUs posted:

You should read RoW and the secret projects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

Okay, the stuff that's not a spoiler first: You're on the right track, but you're muddling your sources -- the epigraph in which the writer needles the addressee about being named after their best quality is in Words of Radiance. The epigraphs you've quoted are from Way of Kings.

Slight spoiler, I don't think you'll feel bad if you mouseover this: You mixed them up because the epigraphs in WoR are the response to the letter sent in the epigraphs of WoK. The person named after the quality wrote the first letter, begging for help against Rayse. The response is the person who was begged writing back to agree that Rayse is a tremendous threat, but that they consider Rayse to be safely contained, and will offer no assistance.

Your supposition will be directly brought up and definitively answered as you progress in Stormlight Archives.

Hmm I had taken those epigraphs as from the same person.

I have to wonder if that flute Hoid gave Kelsier back in WoK was a piece of his shard (if he is/holds one), like the ones in Preservation’s well. He does say it has an impressive history. And now it’s floating around god knows where. He has displayed unusual powers with his instruments in the past.

quote:

“I said not to tell me,” Wit replied. “You don’t need to, since I already know. A shame. If you knew the history of that flute, it would make your brain flip upside-down. And by that, I mean that I would shove you off the carriage for having spied on me.”