Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
The Bugle Call: Flowering

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That creepy fish butcher is a great buddy!

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

thanks mister eel head!

also Bugle Call just slamming headfirst into some sketch

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

MAJOR

Read right-to-left

I love that Goro decides to headbutt the dude in the crotch. The stereotypical "kicking in the nuts" is too pedestrian for this kid.

Also this reaction is decent avatar material

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Typical useless bard. Should've cast stinking cloud instead

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Spirit Circle

Tenebrais posted:

"Watch out, this next life is super boring and nothing really happens to you in it. So anyway, this is the part where you met a time-travelling robot and an alien while investigating the mysterious block hovering over a mountain"

Well here's the answer at least: Fortuna doesn't remember any of that stuff. And apart from the totally weird poo poo, it was a pretty ordinary life!

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 20:33 on Dec 20, 2023

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Tiger, Tiger (nipple warning)

Time to hire prostitutes to listen to a lecture about sea sponges.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Kennel posted:

Tiger, Tiger (nipple warning)
Time to hire prostitutes to listen to a lecture about sea sponges.

Sounds like I need to go back and start reading Tiger, Tiger

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Lavender Jack

Sorry for the delay! I'm just going to post the rest of the chapter since I've missed several days and it's an awkward length to split up.

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

Squidster posted:

The Bugle Call: Flowering

What the gently caress no.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Calexio posted:

What the gently caress no.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Yeah I extremely don't like that conversation either, and I don't think it's going to be explored further. They're adoptive siblings, and I will be Big Mad and stop reading if that ever changes.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Yeah part of the trouble with having a character that’s mentally underaged is that you can’t really include them in any romantic dynamics barring something fantastical like time travel, or I guess just good ol’ fashioned time skips. At least they bring up that it’s actually an issue

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I also did a bit of a doubletake there D:

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 39: Start Me Up

Free poo poo!

The Dragon, the Hero and the Courier Episode 21: Human Resources, the Workload and the Courier

Yeesh, bosses.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Kit Walker posted:

Yeah part of the trouble with having a character that’s mentally underaged is that you can’t really include them in any romantic dynamics barring something fantastical like time travel, or I guess just good ol’ fashioned time skips. At least they bring up that it’s actually an issue

I do have a suspicion is that this isn't the first time Zoe has been woken up, and she may have a few years of life experience that are being suppressed. Waaaay back when the Pope was explaining her power set, he said Zoe slept for more than a decade.
Chap 5:

Then in her flashback we saw her waking up after 17 years.

Chap 8:

I suspect the Pope woke her up at least once previously, and she was active for a number of years before she got unruly and the Pope 'reset' her. She's too useful a soldier, and too dangerous a liability, to be allowed free will.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

I have electricity again and can resume:
Harsh Prospect

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Squidster posted:

I suspect the Pope woke her up at least once previously, and she was active for a number of years before she got unruly and the Pope 'reset' her. She's too useful a soldier, and too dangerous a liability, to be allowed free will.

That doesn't make it any better!

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

In fact, it makes it a lot worse.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Bugle keeps sedating me with all this cheerful stuff about the gang working as a team, and making me forget that the opening pages consist of various war crimes.

Squidster posted:

:gonk:

On a less awful note, I've been making a few more sales of the bird palette swap poster, and Redbubble indicates they're from europe and north america. As a holiday project I'd like to do a couple of new Avigraphs of birbs from those areas. But I don't really know what species you actually have. I guess the question is, what are like the iconic birds if you're living in Canada or Britain or adjacent countries? I'm going to be drawing a bald eagle with hummingbird colours, but that still leaves the rest of a 6x6 grid to fill. And Europe is worse, I think you guys have seagulls and starlings and....... sparrows? helP

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Gann Jerrod posted:

I kinda hope they never meet Kotori’s mom, and her only real contributions are in the form of cute recipes.

While that would be a good gag, we will eventually properly meet Kotori's mom (her dad too!)

Samovar posted:

Don't know how I feel about that onion-cutting technique. I do it the other way around, i.e. the root of the onion is the 'anchor' that holds the thing together while you mince it.

Also, the vertical cuts should follow the curve of the onion, too.

The knife does look like it was drawn at an angle for the vertical cuts but yeah, I didn't notice that the onion is backward for the horizontal cuts (being cut from root toward stem rather than stem toward root).

Sweetness And Lightning

One last note that I find interesting about this translation is that it’s the only time in a manga that I can remember seeing them actually localize this dish and call it by its US name rather than the name that the rest of the world uses (Hamburger or Hamburg steak). The Crunchyroll translations of the anime went with Hamburger Steak as well, IIRC, though it’s been a hot minute since I’ve watched the anime.

Anyway, this is where the free chapters end and I’m going to start skipping around! So as long as people are enjoying this, next time we’ll take a look at Chapter 7 to meet the remaining characters of our core cast!

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Tree Bucket posted:

On a less awful note, I've been making a few more sales of the bird palette swap poster, and Redbubble indicates they're from europe and north america. As a holiday project I'd like to do a couple of new Avigraphs of birbs from those areas. But I don't really know what species you actually have. I guess the question is, what are like the iconic birds if you're living in Canada or Britain or adjacent countries? I'm going to be drawing a bald eagle with hummingbird colours, but that still leaves the rest of a 6x6 grid to fill. And Europe is worse, I think you guys have seagulls and starlings and....... sparrows? helP

You could always do New Zealand birds - we've got birds for days down here. Actually, we didn't have any mammals at all until humans introduced them, so a lot of NZ birds entered ecological niches you don't normally find birds in, though a bunch haven't made it to present day.

Check out New Zealand birds here!
https://www.birdoftheyear.org.nz/

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

One last note that I find interesting about this translation is that it’s the only time in a manga that I can remember seeing them actually localize this dish and call it by its US name rather than the name that the rest of the world uses (Hamburger or Hamburg steak). The Crunchyroll translations of the anime went with Hamburger Steak as well, IIRC, though it’s been a hot minute since I’ve watched the anime.

The other interesting thing is the tomato sauce - obviously that's common with beef in general, but I thought Salisbury Steak in particular was always a brown gravy. There's nothing wrong with it, it's basically just a flatter meatloaf, it just threw me for that particular dish.

e: actually, I forgot the other big difference between the time I read it and the time I posted, the egg on top is a big thing. I guess it's getting more common, but hamburgers are the main beef dish I'm familiar with that have it. I'd definitely give it a try.

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 01:09 on Dec 21, 2023

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Tree Bucket posted:

I observe these on the regular in Belgium.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_robin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_blackbird
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_tit
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasian_blue_tit
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peregrine_falcon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_sparrow
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_house_martin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_cuckoo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_heron
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasian_collared_dove
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrion_crow
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magpie
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasian_wren

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Tree Bucket posted:

But I don't really know what species you actually have. I guess the question is, what are like the iconic birds if you're living in Canada or Britain or adjacent countries?

I'm in the northeast us and had a couple of these pals living on my porch this year: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-capped_chickadee

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

My webcomic poster just arrived I can't wait to get home from work and check it out!!!

For birds around here (near houston) we have tons of cardinals, mockingbirds, robins, mourning doves, buzzards, hawks, and eagles.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Tree Bucket posted:

Bugle keeps sedating me with all this cheerful stuff about the gang working as a team, and making me forget that the opening pages consist of various war crimes.

A vulture with the coloring of a bluebird or a raven colored like a Baltimore oriole

Dav
Nov 6, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

From the Midwest I’d suggest cardinals, goldfinches, and red-tailed hawks as good combinations of common and distinctive. Maybe pick an owl too?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Tree Bucket posted:

Blue jays and cardinals are good palette-having birds that are recognizable around here, here being the northeast US

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Red-winged black-bird
*clap* *clap* *clapclapclap*

Dav
Nov 6, 2009

fritz posted:

Red-winged black-bird
*clap* *clap* *clapclapclap*

Also a good choice!

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Tree Bucket posted:

https://twitter.com/ryanqnorth/status/677282590076874752

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tunicate posted:

MS Paint Masterpieces
#371: Not Just Yet - Problem Solved

#372: Not Just Yet - Puns Have Groan Tiresome

#373: Not Just Yet - Standard Practice

MS Paint Masterpieces
#374: Not Just Yet - Go Down The Hole

#375: Not Just Yet - It's A Bird Or Plane

#376: Not Just Yet - Priorities

This is, of course, the origin story for Flying Ace / Rocman

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Tree Bucket posted:

the bird palette swap poster is really good i keep putting it in my cart, looking at my wallet, and sighing wistfully

i'm gonna buy it one of these days i loving love it

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
From the eastern US, goldfinches and eastern bluebirds are pretty iconic. Oh and pileated woodpeckers!

Black capped chickadees are objectively the cutest feeder birds in the world.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

mycatscrimes posted:

Black capped chickadees are objectively the cutest feeder birds in the world.

This is true. I'm also a big fan of cardinals/bluejays/goldfinches as a nice primary color trifecta.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Captain Hygiene posted:

The other interesting thing is the tomato sauce - obviously that's common with beef in general, but I thought Salisbury Steak in particular was always a brown gravy. There's nothing wrong with it, it's basically just a flatter meatloaf, it just threw me for that particular dish.

e: actually, I forgot the other big difference between the time I read it and the time I posted, the egg on top is a big thing. I guess it's getting more common, but hamburgers are the main beef dish I'm familiar with that have it. I'd definitely give it a try.

The tomato sauce and fried egg are both fairly common things to see with Hamburg steak in Japan (not usually at the same time afaik), the decision to have both at once may very well be because this is specifically stewed hamburger steak. It's kinda like topping a Hamburg steak with shakshuka, which is not something that I've considered before but would probably be delicious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I mean it's not that different from a really large meatball in sauce, is it?