Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Not Wolverine posted:

I believe that would cover large lakes full of drunk partiers, but not small lakes good for fishing. That said, I haven't yet found a good boat rental place near me, I assume some of the dealers might be willing to rent boats, Google and a couple other sites pointed me to local boat dealers as a rental place, but I didn't see any mention of rentals on their websites. So I'm not certain I could rent a boat and take it to a smaller lake, but I know I can rent RVs, either powered or towed. With RV rentals, I can find a lot more options for trailers, and I think they tend to offer more space per dollar.

Where can I do this? I think u-haul might allow it, but finding an available u-haul pickup in my area has proved to be virtually impossible. A quick Google search pointed me to pages from Hertz and Enterprise forbidding towing with their rental vehicles. I clearly must be looking in the wrong places for a rentable tow vehicle.

As for a Touareg or x5, I am paranoid about what I believe to be extremely high maintenance and repair costs of European vehicles. But an older Touareg is tempting, one with a v-10 diesel sounds fun but I have no idea how much one of those would cost. In addition, if anything we're to break I think it would be a lot harder to find a replacement part at either u-pull-it or AutoZone.

At this point, I think my most realistic options for a tow vehicle would be a slightly older half ton pickup and suffer through life without adaptive cruise control, or just keep my current car a little longer.

If you're going to a lake with a cottage resort or campground on it, they probably have boat rentals. They may or may not rent to people who aren't staying there for the night/weekend or whatever.
I live in Ontario (the Canadian one) and theres like 250,000 lakes in this province. I've stayed at various campgrounds, cottage resorts, privately rented cottages etc.. and none had any specific rules about their boats can only be used on (the lake you're staying on), but they don't necessarily have trailers available if you wanted to go to the lake a few miles away.
Depending on how big of a boat you want, you can get a pretty good set up thats not that heavy. I have a 17 foot Lund Adventure Sport with a 115 on the back. Boat motor and trailer, + a full tank of fuel (20 gallons) and all my poo poo is less than 3000 pounds. Well within the capacity for a midsize, or whatever is supposed to be a midsize truck these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

If you're going to a lake with a cottage resort or campground on it, they probably have boat rentals. They may or may not rent to people who aren't staying there for the night/weekend or whatever.
I live in Ontario (the Canadian one) and theres like 250,000 lakes in this province. I've stayed at various campgrounds, cottage resorts, privately rented cottages etc.. and none had any specific rules about their boats can only be used on (the lake you're staying on), but they don't necessarily have trailers available if you wanted to go to the lake a few miles away.
Depending on how big of a boat you want, you can get a pretty good set up thats not that heavy. I have a 17 foot Lund Adventure Sport with a 115 on the back. Boat motor and trailer, + a full tank of fuel (20 gallons) and all my poo poo is less than 3000 pounds. Well within the capacity for a midsize, or whatever is supposed to be a midsize truck these days.
I have two large lakes nearby, thus far I have found one is willing to rent me a Jetski for $75/hr, I doubt it comes with a trailer and if I'm paying hourly I don't want to try it somewhere else. I think the other lake rents boats or jetskis, but I haven't yet looked into their terms. Ideally I would like to rent a boat daily so I could maybe drive to a lake farther away, but this is looking more and more like a stretch goal.

When I was little (late 90s), my family had an boat, I think it was from the 70s, all I remember about it was that it had an IO engine with a Ford V8 that stalled a lot off idle but it had enough power for skiing, I think it was probably 17ft, maybe less, I'm mostly just wildly guessing. My step-dad launched the boat using a '94 Ford Explorer, the tires spun a lot on recovery. For every every subsequent trip my mom's '85 Suburban was used to launch the boat. I used to always think this was because it was worth less in case of a disaster, now I realize the Explorer's towing capacity was 5,000lbs and the Suburban's was somewhere between 9,000-12,000lbs. Naturally, for fun I searched autotempest.com for 80s Suburbans, the good thing is they all have less than 100k miles but they are priced about 20-30k unless I want a basket case project vehicle. I do want a basket case project Suburban from my childhood but I lack garage space, skill and money to put it together.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I’ve got a ~20ft ski boat and honestly towing it around with my F150 it never even broke a sweat. You do not need anything that big even if you had a real actual immediate use for towing a small boat, let alone a hypothetical aspirational need for doing so.

Also demerits for shade thrown at 996s

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Not Wolverine posted:

I have two large lakes nearby, thus far I have found one is willing to rent me a Jetski for $75/hr, I doubt it comes with a trailer and if I'm paying hourly I don't want to try it somewhere else. I think the other lake rents boats or jetskis, but I haven't yet looked into their terms. Ideally I would like to rent a boat daily so I could maybe drive to a lake farther away, but this is looking more and more like a stretch goal.

When I was little (late 90s), my family had an boat, I think it was from the 70s, all I remember about it was that it had an IO engine with a Ford V8 that stalled a lot off idle but it had enough power for skiing, I think it was probably 17ft, maybe less, I'm mostly just wildly guessing. My step-dad launched the boat using a '94 Ford Explorer, the tires spun a lot on recovery. For every every subsequent trip my mom's '85 Suburban was used to launch the boat. I used to always think this was because it was worth less in case of a disaster, now I realize the Explorer's towing capacity was 5,000lbs and the Suburban's was somewhere between 9,000-12,000lbs. Naturally, for fun I searched autotempest.com for 80s Suburbans, the good thing is they all have less than 100k miles but they are priced about 20-30k unless I want a basket case project vehicle. I do want a basket case project Suburban from my childhood but I lack garage space, skill and money to put it together.

Boats are lighter these days, and a lack of traction isn't the same as not enough towing capacity. My parents 1980s station wagon spun it's tires while trying to retrieve their 70s(?) Boat in the 90s. But the ramp was kinda steep and slippery. Towed it just fine though.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
So I'm strongly considering a Touareg, autotempest.com lists several from 2011 to about 2017 with about 80k miles for 15-20k. I see a lot of VR6 and TDI models, is VR6 a decent trim spec for towing, and having adaptive cruise control? Will any of these come with Android auto, or are any years easier/harder to replace the stereo with something with Android auto?

Lastly, are VWs, specifically Touaregs of this vintage, reliable, cheap to maintain vehicles? I know that's kind of a loaded question but I'm paranoid about EuroParts pricing for repairs.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Not Wolverine posted:

Lastly, are VWs, specifically Touaregs of this vintage, reliable, cheap to maintain vehicles?

No. Not at all in comparison to Ford/Toyota/Chevy. They are neither reliable nor cheap to maintain or repair, especially if you're paying someone else to do the work. Any example you're likely to find almost definitely needs a full front suspension to the tune of $2k worth of parts and I have no idea how much labor as I do my own work as well as a litany of other deferred german vehicle maintenance. They're all at this point of "every bushing is bad unless it's already been changed" just by age alone.

If you are cost sensitive this is exactly the wrong decision to make.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The sweet spot is the Touareg W12.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Not Wolverine posted:

So I'm strongly considering a Touareg, autotempest.com lists several from 2011 to about 2017 with about 80k miles for 15-20k. I see a lot of VR6 and TDI models, is VR6 a decent trim spec for towing, and having adaptive cruise control? Will any of these come with Android auto, or are any years easier/harder to replace the stereo with something with Android auto?

Lastly, are VWs, specifically Touaregs of this vintage, reliable, cheap to maintain vehicles? I know that's kind of a loaded question but I'm paranoid about EuroParts pricing for repairs.

Why are you doing this to yourself

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Why are you doing this to yourself
Oh the last few posts have scratched the Touareg off my list for sure. Previously, I didn't see anyone specifically say don't get a Touareg after it was recommended, but as Motronic stated above I agree a Touareg is a bad idea.

I guess in the end this all comes down deciding if I want a sedan with adaptive cruise, or a pickup (mid or full size) old enough to be affordable without requiring a lot of expensive work. Granted, I'm sure a pickup is more expensive to maintain then a sedan, but I feel like it would be a much more useful and rewarding vehicle to own. Currently I do as much work on my car as I can but I don't have the tools, space or skills for major work.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I briefly considered suggesting a 200 series Land Cruiser as they will tow and have ACC and I paid like $27k for my 2013 6 years ago so surely they must be in your price range now.

Lol turns out I'm making money by having my wife drive that thing around.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Motronic posted:

I briefly considered suggesting a 200 series Land Cruiser as they will tow and have ACC and I paid like $27k for my 2013 6 years ago so surely they must be in your price range now.

Lol turns out I'm making money by having my wife drive that thing around.
I could only find 2010 models with a quarter million miles for $30k.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Clearly the answer to all his towing needs is buy the F350 the goon is selling in AI marketplace, it’s in price range and everything!

(This is not a serious suggestion)

Also yeah Motronic, you are making money because everyone has the same thought as OP of oh man I need 4WD and I would really like to be able to tow a boat that I will one day have and it would be nice if it were comfy too.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TheBacon posted:

Also yeah Motronic, you are making money because everyone has the same thought as OP of oh man I need 4WD and I would really like to be able to tow a boat that I will one day have and it would be nice if it were comfy too.

And she just wanted 3 rows for kid moving duties as well as a V8 because......V8s are awesome. This replaced her 2002 Discovery (that she loved and still loves to this day) which I simply could NOT keep reliable enough to release back to her for kid hauling duties after the second set of head gaskets on the replacement motor and the failed torque converter that went from driving to dead with zero symptoms. So you could say I made out in a lot of ways on that one.

For the context of this thread: do what I say not what I do because I learned all of this the hard way.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 21, 2023

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Motronic posted:

And she just wanted 3 rows for kid moving duties as well as a V8 because......V8s are awesome. This replaced her 2002 Discovery (that she loved and still loves to this day) which I simply could NOT keep reliable enough to release back to her for kid hauling duties after the second set of head gaskets on the replacement motor and the failed torque converter that went from driving to dead with zero symptoms. So you could say I made out in a lot of ways on that one.

For the context of this thread: do what I say not what I do because I learned all of this the hard way.

I think if someone were willing to take all that on and be their own mechanic who wouldn’t bat an eye at rod bearings or some such they could go down that path. However it is somewhat of a Catch-22 because anyone that actually would be suited to going down the dragon path would not be posting in this thread.

All that to say I do not think OP is going to get towing, ACC, and reliable for under $20k. Personally I did not find ACC that great or yseful unless it was one of the really recent systems, which also are going to be over $20k and likely not on anything that can tow.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TheBacon posted:

I think if someone were willing to take all that on and be their own mechanic who wouldn’t bat an eye at rod bearings or some such they could go down that path. However it is somewhat of a Catch-22 because anyone that actually would be suited to going down the dragon path would not be posting in this thread.

All that to say I do not think OP is going to get towing, ACC, and reliable for under $20k. Personally I did not find ACC that great or yseful unless it was one of the really recent systems, which also are going to be over $20k and likely not on anything that can tow.

Completely agreed on both counts. The ACC thing is just baffling to me. I enjoyed it some a few times driving the wife's 200 but it's so not a deal breaker and if it was I would surely want it on something more appropriate for eating highway miles, not a lovely ladder frame truck with an ancient v8 in it.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

TheBacon posted:

My work truck died and boss told me to find a new one. I was looking at f250s to match the rest of the fleet, crew cab, 4wd with the only required "convenience" options being power windows and mirrors b/c they're annoying to adjust. He has this hard-on for ACC. Which immediately threw us into $80k+ land for "on lot, available right now" inventory (SoCal).

I found a used one w/o ACC, <1000 miles for 55k and he said "nah, not quite perfect."

I just refused to look anymore. Not even my money but I just can't.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

So, my husband's car met an untimely and unexpected end last week and now he's in the market for a new vehicle. He's decided that he wants an EV (ideally one that's eligible for the tax credit) and is leaning towards the Cadillac Lyriq, which honestly looks pretty awesome (and holy poo poo the dash has actual loving buttons instead of that godawful touchscreen-only bullshit). Anyone have any thoughts on/experience with the Lyriq? He's also considering the Mach-E (no longer eligible for the tax credit as of 2024 but is cheap enough compared to the Lyriq that it's still worthwhile).

We are both kind of bummed at the dearth of good sedan options that are eligible for the tax credit (because husband's first choice in car type is sedan). We don't need an SUV because we already have the perfect SUV (my F-150) but everything is a dang SUV (or truck). I think part of the appeal of the Lyriq is that it's more car-like than SUV-like, with station wagon vibes (this is a good thing because I love station wagons and miss them).

And speaking of station wagons, here's a comedy option for Not Wolverine: a '94-'96 Buick Roadmaster Estate wagon

Here me out: this vehicle checks all your boxes (except fitting in your garage because it is a loving barge and the newfangled tech because it is old):
- Spacious, luxurious interior that comfortably seats six (front row bench seats need to come back)
- Ample cargo space where you can put two additional passengers in the jump seats or all your poo poo plus a dog or three.
- Ride quality is buttery smooth, rivals Mercedes (have driven both, can attest)
- V8 (same one they put in the Corvette)
- Tows 5,000 lbs (which means it can tow your boat)
- no longer the ugliest car on the road now that everything is shaped like a bean
- generally reliable and easy to work on
- will probably come in under budget because it's a 30-year-old car

Cons:
- lovely MPG for a non-truck, but it's actually on par with the current gen F-150
- 30 years old
- still really ugly

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

TheBacon posted:

I agreed finding towing with ACC for $20k is unobtainable, but if I omit ACC a midsize of half ton pickup is probably not a terrible idea.

But I genuinely don't care about 4 wheel drive, it only snows once or twice a year here and 4wd doesn't improve stopping on ice. I also don't need a 3rd row, but I would like a decent trunk space, possibly something that could fit plywood inside but I'm certain my price range would necessitate hauling plywood on a roof rack or trailer.

As for the Roadmaster, I used to lust for a Corvette powered land yacht, but I'm not enough to drive a Buick, even if it is (relatively) fast and beautiful.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Queen Victorian posted:

I think part of the appeal of the Lyriq is that it's more car-like than SUV-like, with station wagon vibes (this is a good thing because I love station wagons and miss them).

Electric wagon exists:

However that version starts at over twice a lyric lmao. There is a plastic cladding slightly raised version that starts at 100k though!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Motronic posted:

If you want a v8 3 row SUV that can tow a little bit dodge has you covered.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Not Wolverine posted:

I agreed finding towing with ACC for $20k is unobtainable, but if I omit ACC a midsize of half ton pickup is probably not a terrible idea.

But I genuinely don't care about 4 wheel drive, it only snows once or twice a year here and 4wd doesn't improve stopping on ice. I also don't need a 3rd row, but I would like a decent trunk space, possibly something that could fit plywood inside but I'm certain my price range would necessitate hauling plywood on a roof rack or trailer.

As for the Roadmaster, I used to lust for a Corvette powered land yacht, but I'm not enough to drive a Buick, even if it is (relatively) fast and beautiful.

Minivans will eat 4x8 plywood. 12' long boards will fit, too. Plus seating for 7. And they can tow.

Just sayin.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Deteriorata posted:

Minivans will eat 4x8 plywood. 12' long boards will fit, too. Plus seating for 7. And they can tow.

Just sayin.

I was about to make a comment about transmission health towing at a minivans limit, then I realized I have no clue the CVT in the Sienna even does under heavy load.

I did check and Toyota says it's a lifetime fluid, you never change the trans fluid.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

I was about to make a comment about transmission health towing at a minivans limit, then I realized I have no clue the CVT in the Sienna even does under heavy load.

I did check and Toyota says it's a lifetime fluid, you never change the trans fluid.

An Odyssey or Sienna can tow 3500 pounds.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Twerk from Home posted:

Lifetime fluid always means “until end of warranty”. Change your fluids, folks

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Just sayin.
My wife owns a 2020 Odyssey, and it has ACC. However, she is adamant about not having a tow hitch, which is fair since it's her vehicle, it sucks when you bash your knees on one and we don't need it yet. Regardless, it's kinda a bitch to stuff plywood into it since the middle seats have to be removed to do so. It's towing capacity is also only 3500lbs.

A Pacifica or Grand Caravan would be nicer due to the stow and go seats, but I'm afraid of Chrysler transmissions after my wife's old Caravan ate transmissions like candy (hooray for sketchy aftermarket extended warranty).

Another crazy idea- buy a sedan with ACC for my daily (maybe even skip that part and keep my current sedan sand ACC) and buy an old wore out f-250 for a tow queen. About a year ago I almost bought an old f-250 with a mechanic's lein for $2000, but I was advised against mechanic's leins, and even if I did successfully buy it I wouldn't have a good place to park it.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Not Wolverine posted:

Not sure if I’m interpreting this right but you don’t need an 8’ bed to put plywood in a pickup. Tailgates fold down.

Deteriorata posted:

Depending on the type of boat he’s considering, that might be enough, but it’s also not that much and pretty darn easy to exceed that with a not very big boat and trailer.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I've thrown in the towel on my Saab and am fixing just enough to sell it.

I've strongly resisted the urge to pull the trigger on a new GV70. Question; does Hyundai/Genesis just fill orders out of existing stock, or do they do actual factory orders? Just in case I wanted a weird combo of color or options or something.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

They'll do factory orders, but Hyundai/Genesis dealers haven't quite figured out how not to be econo-car lovely dealership experiences. They'll lie about what they have, lie about placing orders, sell it or from under you, etc. GV70s are really nice cars. We probably would have bought one if it wasn't for the dealer experience at like 4 different dealerships.

Not unique to Hyundai/Genesis, and I'm sure you can find a good dealer some places, but yeah.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Queen Victorian posted:

So, my husband's car met an untimely and unexpected end last week and now he's in the market for a new vehicle. He's decided that he wants an EV (ideally one that's eligible for the tax credit) and is leaning towards the Cadillac Lyriq, which honestly looks pretty awesome (and holy poo poo the dash has actual loving buttons instead of that godawful touchscreen-only bullshit). Anyone have any thoughts on/experience with the Lyriq? He's also considering the Mach-E (no longer eligible for the tax credit as of 2024 but is cheap enough compared to the Lyriq that it's still worthwhile).

We are both kind of bummed at the dearth of good sedan options that are eligible for the tax credit (because husband's first choice in car type is sedan). We don't need an SUV because we already have the perfect SUV (my F-150) but everything is a dang SUV (or truck). I think part of the appeal of the Lyriq is that it's more car-like than SUV-like, with station wagon vibes (this is a good thing because I love station wagons and miss them).

If I was in the market for a premiumish EV sedan I would be looking at used Audi e-tron GTs. They're the sister car of the Taycan and last time I checked have pretty significant depreciation, so at a year old are much cheaper. Really good car and the Audi has a better interior than the Porsche.

I don't think they have reliability issues but would still get one that has warranty from an Audi dealer.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

If I was in the market for a premiumish EV sedan I would be looking at used Audi e-tron GTs. They're the sister car of the Taycan and last time I checked have pretty significant depreciation, so at a year old are much cheaper. Really good car and the Audi has a better interior than the Porsche.

I don't think they have reliability issues but would still get one that has warranty from an Audi dealer.

Or just used Taycans. Those have depreciated astonishingly fast, too.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah 😢

It's confounded a bit by the cheaper Taycans being RWD models, the Audis are equivalent to a 4S or Turbo so they look maybe $20k less like for like.

e: this looks like a nice car for the $
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicle/691382801

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Dec 21, 2023

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

Yeah 😢

It's confounded a bit by the cheaper Taycans being RWD models, the Audis are equivalent to a 4S or Turbo so they look maybe $20k less like for like.

e: this looks like a nice car for the $
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicle/691382801

Holy poo poo, you’re not wrong. After some cursory browsing:
2020 CPO Taycan 4Ses are low to mid 70s
2022 CPO e-tron GTs are already low to mid 60s

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I need to sell a car (2015 Volkswagen E-Golf) in a market uniquely terrible to sell it in (remote coastal California, Crescent City) so my logical solution is to sell it to one of the online dealerships that will pick it up with a tow truck.

The wrinkle is I live about a 7.5 hour drive away and would prefer to not have to be there when it gets picked up. I will soon have the title in my name, and I live in a large metro area (Sacramento CA).

Do any of the online car buying companies have local offices where I can present my documents or some alternative process where I can be vetted then appoint and agent to do the handoff?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Deteriorata posted:

I thought it was generally considered a bad idea to tow with CVT if you want them to last.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
I'm finally in the position where I'm making pretty good money and can afford something fun, so this is the first time I'm going to a dealer to buy a new car (all my cars up to this point have been <5k beaters off Craigslist with well over 100k miles). Been looking around and I found a dealer nearby that has a '24 GR Corolla Premium coming in the next few weeks and asked me for a $500 deposit to reserve the car, so I put the deposit down.

Dealer claims they don't do above-MSRP and the sheet they gave me with the suggested retail price has about 1k in extra stuff that I'm not terribly enthused about but I'm also not really going to get super in a fit about, total price a little under $42k. Toyota's financing rates seem to be absolute rear end (I have a ~770 credit score and their site says it's like 9.8% for a 60 month loan???) so I spoke with a local credit union and applied for a loan (hard credit pull) and they gave me a pre-approval at 6.5% for 60 months. Got a call from them, told them I was still waiting on the car to arrive but just applying in advance so I could come in with a counter offer for financing, but they said I needed a purchase order and proof of insurance before being able to approve the loan.

This seems like a chicken and egg situation to me - to get the car I need the loan but in order to get the loan I'd need to have a purchase order and insurance on a car I don't own yet. Is there something I'm missing or is this something dealers know how to handle fine?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Shipon posted:

I'm finally in the position where I'm making pretty good money and can afford something fun, so this is the first time I'm going to a dealer to buy a new car (all my cars up to this point have been <5k beaters off Craigslist with well over 100k miles). Been looking around and I found a dealer nearby that has a '24 GR Corolla Premium coming in the next few weeks and asked me for a $500 deposit to reserve the car, so I put the deposit down.

Dealer claims they don't do above-MSRP and the sheet they gave me with the suggested retail price has about 1k in extra stuff that I'm not terribly enthused about but I'm also not really going to get super in a fit about, total price a little under $42k. Toyota's financing rates seem to be absolute rear end (I have a ~770 credit score and their site says it's like 9.8% for a 60 month loan???) so I spoke with a local credit union and applied for a loan (hard credit pull) and they gave me a pre-approval at 6.5% for 60 months. Got a call from them, told them I was still waiting on the car to arrive but just applying in advance so I could come in with a counter offer for financing, but they said I needed a purchase order and proof of insurance before being able to approve the loan.

This seems like a chicken and egg situation to me - to get the car I need the loan but in order to get the loan I'd need to have a purchase order and insurance on a car I don't own yet. Is there something I'm missing or is this something dealers know how to handle fine?

I think (without a lot of experience), that it’s a little tougher to do with some credit unions. Last car I bought I just did dealer financing and then immediately refinanced with my credit union, which required an annoying amount of documentation and paper work.

This time (tentative delivery this morning) the credit unions rates are poo poo so I’m not bothering, but I did shop around and best I got was 5.79% from Bank of America, and was able to get a printed out letter of approval with dealer instructions on it that they supposedly can handle during delivery. Took less than 10 minutes.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

IIRC, the way it worked with my credit union is I just told the dealer I had financing and to give me the exact financing amount (you don't need the check until you pick up the car) and I called my insurance company with the information (VIN, etc) so they could get my insurance ready and that was enough to get a check cut out to the dealer.

If you want to try to haggle with the dealer over financing, a pre-approval is enough to do that. Hell, you can bluff with nothing except a confident smile if you want.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Hertz dropped a Jeep Gladiator on me for a 1 way last minute rental and holy poo poo, I know it is a highly flogged and farted in "rental" and not 100% indicative of a brand new one off the lot, but that thing drove horribly in every way. Vague steering, Mushy brakes, sluggish engine, awful transmission that just stuck in random gears, loud as all hell due to the plastic roof leaking air everywhere. The long wheelbase was doing no favors to the handling either. Just a miserable highway vehicle. 3.5/10

addition: I owned a few Cherokees back in the 90's and drove that era's Wranglers as well as 70's-80's CJ's/XJ's.... but this thing was 100% :itwaspoo:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 23, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Keyser_Soze posted:

Hertz dropped a Jeep Gladiator on me for a 1 way last minute rental and holy poo poo, I know it is a highly flogged and farted in "rental" and not 100% indicative of a brand new one off the lot, but that thing drove horribly in every way. Vague steering, Mushy brakes, sluggish engine, awful transmission that just stuck in random gears, loud as all hell due to the plastic roof leaking air everywhere. The long wheelbase was doing no favors to the handling either. Just a miserable highway vehicle. 3.5/10

They actually worked very hard to make it that bad. It's a Jeep Thing, you wouldn't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Keyser_Soze posted:

A rental Wrangler was the first time I experienced death wobble on the way out of Vegas to Death Valley. And that’s after owning a short wheelbase JK in Europe for years, where it regularly went 95 mph on the autobahn.

Swapped it for a 4Runner right after coming back from Death Valley. And while the Wrangler did great during an unscheduled trip to Chloride City in DV, we bought a 4Runner soon after that trip.