Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it is subjective, because "a better lifestyle" is entirely subjective

I get this, but that doesn't matter. The assertion is that it can more easily be afforded YoY, whatever it is. Not that the survey was done in good faith, but my criticism of it was that it was and in that light, by their own metrics and measurement, it fails in the way I describe by being technically correct for an entirely arbitrary unit of time while ignoring the only sensible period which is 2020 - 2023.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Every time I get owned online, we get that much closer to fascism

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

https://twitter.com/isaiah_bb/status/1736776607266672993

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
the colorado decision is going to be used to disqualify biden in states like oklahoma and alabama now

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the balkanization thread is gonna go nuts. well, more than usual.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
Asking as a foreigner but which side will pay more for mercenary work?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

January 6 Survivor posted:

Asking as a foreigner but which side will pay more for mercenary work?

The chuds don't need mercs, so the libs

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the balkanization thread is gonna go nuts. well, more than usual.

Yeah the A24 movie trailer really breathed some new life into it.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Loving that an 1869 decision by a federal court about if an unreformed confederate could find a black man guilty of murder is going to overturn the Colorado decision and further discredit the democrats

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I mean, the guy is saying that you're not allowed to be mean to him on the Internet because that's doing a fascism.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

apocalyptically stupid move but expected from some flyover state liberal judges. Make history kings.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/senate_jobs/status/1737494561495077343

✔️ assault black jogger
✔️ insist on progressive ideals to get elected
✔️ proceed to alienate base
✔️ answer "I'm not a progressive"
✔️ cry about losing re-election, blame progressives

it's called the AIPAC method

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

ex post facho posted:

✔️ assault black jogger

we're looking to hire an e-mail manager to deal with the influx of messages calling me a misshapen bloodthirsty ogre

fizziest
Nov 5, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish Joe Biden and the Joe Biden Administration a Merry Burning in Hellmas.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...icy-differences

Biden administration policy differences reportedly behind delay in Gaza ceasefire vote at UN
Julian Borger in Washington
Wed 20 Dec 2023 01.02 GMT

A vote on a Gaza ceasefire resolution was postponed for a second time at the UN security council on Tuesday, amid reported policy differences inside the Biden administration.

While diplomatic efforts struggled in New York in the pursuit of a formalised truce, there was a renewed push for a new hostage deal that would involve a short humanitarian pause in the fight to allow an exchange with Palestinian prisoners.

The UN draft resolution, drafted by the United Arab Emirates, had been changed on Tuesday in an effort to avoid a third US veto since the conflict began more than two months ago. Instead of calling for an “urgent and sustainable cessation of hostilities,” the amended text referred to “the urgent suspension of hostilities to allow safe and unhindered humanitarian access, and for urgent steps towards a sustainable cessation of hostilities”.

According to diplomatic sources, the US mission in New York believed it had negotiated a text that it could at least abstain on, but when Washington was consulted, new objections were raised, with the White House reportedly taking a more pro-Israel line than the state department.

The White House objections included opposition to any mention of the word “cessation”, unease over a clause that puts the UN in charge of monitoring the flow of humanitarian aid without explicitly mentioning Israel’s role in checking cargo entering Israel, and the absence in the draft resolution of a condemnation of Hamas for its 7 October cross-border attack on Israeli communities, which killed about 1,200 people.

As consultations between New York and Washington continued, a vote on the UAE resolution was put off until Wednesday morning at the earliest.

“We’re still working through the modalities of the resolution,” the White House national security spokesperson, John Kirby, said. “It’s important for us that the rest of the world understand what’s at stake here and what Hamas did on 7 October and how Israel has a right to defend itself against those threats.”

Lana Nusseibeh, the UAE ambassador to the UN, said: “Ultimately, the endpoint is a ceasefire, but as you know, that was not adopted recently, so we have to move to the space that allows humanitarian workers to work safely and at scale.”

Meanwhile, there were new efforts under way to revive a hostage-for-prisoner swap that produced a weeklong pause in the fighting at the end of November. A meeting on Monday in Warsaw, between Qatar’s prime minister Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani, the Mossad chief, David Barnea, and the CIA director, William Burns, was described as “positive” but not decisive. During an earlier negotiated pause in hostilities Hamas released 110 women, children and foreigners it was holding in exchange for 240 Palestinian women and teenagers being held in Israeli jails.

“The talks were positive with negotiators exploring and discussing different proposals in an attempt to progress on negotiations,” Reuters quoted an unnamed source as saying, but the source added: “An agreement is not expected imminently however.”

The Qatar-based political head of Hamas, Ismail Haniyeh, was expected in Egypt on Wednesday to talk to security officials there about another hostage swap deal, and Israel’s president, Isaac Herzog, confirmed Israel’s interest in a revived hostage deal.

“Israel is willing to enter another humanitarian pause and bring in additional humanitarian aid in order to bring back the hostages, so the entire responsibility for this issue lies with Sinwar [the Hamas leader in Gaza] and his people,” Herzog told the Washington-based Atlantic Council thinktank on Tuesday.

But the Israeli president also made clear that Israel would contemplate a humanitarian pause in the fighting only in the context of a hostage deal.

If Hamas rejected the deal, he said, Israel would continue its offensive on Gaza “with no limitations.”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

cagliostr0 posted:

Loving that an 1869 decision by a federal court about if an unreformed confederate could find a black man guilty of murder is going to overturn the Colorado decision and further discredit the democrats

The unreformed Confederate was a Democrat, so really, when you think about it, this is a victory for American democracy.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

ex post facho posted:

✔️ assault black jogger

sorry i smoke too much weed to gubbermint jerb

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
https://twitter.com/BTnewsroom/status/1737543774782255182

https://twitter.com/BTnewsroom/status/1737528649530655097

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

fizziest posted:

I wish Joe Biden and the Joe Biden Administration a Merry Burning in Hellmas.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...icy-differences

Biden administration policy differences reportedly behind delay in Gaza ceasefire vote at UN
Julian Borger in Washington
Wed 20 Dec 2023 01.02 GMT

A vote on a Gaza ceasefire resolution was postponed for a second time at the UN security council on Tuesday, amid reported policy differences inside the Biden administration.

While diplomatic efforts struggled in New York in the pursuit of a formalised truce, there was a renewed push for a new hostage deal that would involve a short humanitarian pause in the fight to allow an exchange with Palestinian prisoners.

The UN draft resolution, drafted by the United Arab Emirates, had been changed on Tuesday in an effort to avoid a third US veto since the conflict began more than two months ago. Instead of calling for an “urgent and sustainable cessation of hostilities,” the amended text referred to “the urgent suspension of hostilities to allow safe and unhindered humanitarian access, and for urgent steps towards a sustainable cessation of hostilities”.

According to diplomatic sources, the US mission in New York believed it had negotiated a text that it could at least abstain on, but when Washington was consulted, new objections were raised, with the White House reportedly taking a more pro-Israel line than the state department.

The White House objections included opposition to any mention of the word “cessation”, unease over a clause that puts the UN in charge of monitoring the flow of humanitarian aid without explicitly mentioning Israel’s role in checking cargo entering Israel, and the absence in the draft resolution of a condemnation of Hamas for its 7 October cross-border attack on Israeli communities, which killed about 1,200 people.

As consultations between New York and Washington continued, a vote on the UAE resolution was put off until Wednesday morning at the earliest.

“We’re still working through the modalities of the resolution,” the White House national security spokesperson, John Kirby, said. “It’s important for us that the rest of the world understand what’s at stake here and what Hamas did on 7 October and how Israel has a right to defend itself against those threats.”

Lana Nusseibeh, the UAE ambassador to the UN, said: “Ultimately, the endpoint is a ceasefire, but as you know, that was not adopted recently, so we have to move to the space that allows humanitarian workers to work safely and at scale.”

Meanwhile, there were new efforts under way to revive a hostage-for-prisoner swap that produced a weeklong pause in the fighting at the end of November. A meeting on Monday in Warsaw, between Qatar’s prime minister Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani, the Mossad chief, David Barnea, and the CIA director, William Burns, was described as “positive” but not decisive. During an earlier negotiated pause in hostilities Hamas released 110 women, children and foreigners it was holding in exchange for 240 Palestinian women and teenagers being held in Israeli jails.

“The talks were positive with negotiators exploring and discussing different proposals in an attempt to progress on negotiations,” Reuters quoted an unnamed source as saying, but the source added: “An agreement is not expected imminently however.”

The Qatar-based political head of Hamas, Ismail Haniyeh, was expected in Egypt on Wednesday to talk to security officials there about another hostage swap deal, and Israel’s president, Isaac Herzog, confirmed Israel’s interest in a revived hostage deal.

“Israel is willing to enter another humanitarian pause and bring in additional humanitarian aid in order to bring back the hostages, so the entire responsibility for this issue lies with Sinwar [the Hamas leader in Gaza] and his people,” Herzog told the Washington-based Atlantic Council thinktank on Tuesday.

But the Israeli president also made clear that Israel would contemplate a humanitarian pause in the fighting only in the context of a hostage deal.

If Hamas rejected the deal, he said, Israel would continue its offensive on Gaza “with no limitations.”

I can't wait for this loving dumbass to lose and die

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

gently caress yeah

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

democrats are going to start holding tele-fundraisers like they've been holding tele-townhalls since 2009.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ex post facho posted:

I can't wait for this loving dumbass to lose and die

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
:sickos:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1737509700889911318

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

it'd be funny to determine the president by who appears on what ballot rather than actual votes

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would simply run a candidate that the voters liked more.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Nothingburger. The true sicko move would be if Florida did it.

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

DeSantis’s campaign is flailing hard. He might just be desperate enough to pull that stunt.

Meat Miracle
Oct 24, 2010

super sweet best pal posted:

South Carolina would be meaningless, but hilarious

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

SgtMongoose posted:

DeSantis’s campaign is flailing hard. He might just be desperate enough to pull that stunt.

desantis banning trump from the florida primary ballot would be hilarious as hell

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
discussion of biden's failing polls are haraam

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Can anyone give insight how this works in the democrat mind? Just assuming the USSC doesn't just stop this, what exactly is the plan here? Obviously removing a candidate supported by a pretty solid 40% of the country from the ballot would lead to accusations (and I'd argue founded) that it's an illegitimate election. The chuds thought the last election was stolen but this would be fairly cut and dry. Do they assume they'll just accept it like they did in 2000?

It seems to me a bedrock principle of the libs is that democratic institutions have legitimacy but their opponents (rightly) see them as only means to an end. If they both destroy the legitimacy of the election and give their opponents reason to seek alternative methods to attain their goals, how does this help them in any way? Doesn't this strategy rely entirely on the opposition to just roll over?

I will concede that Trump is a singular entity that the republicans can't simply replace and that they might just be trying to run out the clock on him but it doesn't seem too much of a stretch to say that if they overtly rig the election that it opens the door to someone smarter than Trump both harnessing the movement and using it effectively, so then wouldn't the best strategy be to give as few reasons as possible for fence-sitters to feel sympathetic toward that movement?

Are they really this short-sighted or am I missing something?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

ClassActionFursuit posted:

I think it's less them being short-sighted currently and more the consequences of their short-sightedness 7 years ago when they shanked their last national candidate with any real widespread popularity. They have nobody in the wings with even remotely the same appeal that Trump has for the Republicans and they know it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I think it's less them being short-sighted currently and more the consequences of their short-sightedness 7 years ago when they shanked their last national candidate with any real widespread popularity. They have nobody in the wings with even remotely the same appeal that Trump has for the Republicans and they know it.

Pretty sure they consider that a plus. At this point they actively hate the idea that a candidate should or has to appeal to voters at all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the liberal aspires toward winning grand victories using rules lawyering. if they just point out the right paragraph and subsection the bad guys will be defeated forever and dumbledore will arbitrarily assign eleventy billion points to griffindor.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

what is it like to be in a coma for 30 years?????

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

lmbo

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i think the true believers also think that trump getting in trouble with the law will discourage and demotivate his supporters, which might be the case for a dozen or so new york times columnists but not anyone else

The time to throw the book at trump was immediately after the capitol riot but the democrats blew their chance

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

The time to throw the book at trump was immediately after the capitol riot but the democrats blew their chance

police extrajudicially execute people for selling single cigarettes or passing a $45 bad check but somehow we couldn't find a single reason whatsoever to arrest or even inconvenience trump for attempting to topple the US government and replace it with a dictatorship

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

bedpan posted:

police extrajudicially execute people for selling single cigarettes or passing a $45 bad check but somehow we couldn't find a single reason whatsoever to arrest or even inconvenience trump for attempting to topple the US government and replace it with a dictatorship

deal from strength or get crushed every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the liberal aspires toward winning grand victories using rules lawyering. if they just point out the right paragraph and subsection the bad guys will be defeated forever and dumbledore will arbitrarily assign eleventy billion points to griffindor.

And if the rules ever say the liberal loses, the rules are bad and need to be changed. Notice how they talk about dismantling the Electoral College every time a Republican wins but the issue quietly goes away after a Democrat wins.