Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I was going to go with Drouin not Wood but why not both!

Ryan Johansen also sucks, and was bought out for not giving a gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

The Dirty Burger posted:

Ryan Johansen also sucks, and was bought out for not giving a gently caress

I wish my work would do this to me

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Tomas Tatar having a great time as well...that's 4 now...maybe Toews is on to something...

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Bard Maddox posted:

the Avs' vibes are good right now. Mikko Rantanen is feuding with Artturi Lehkonen's dad and Devon Toews is saying a full third of the team sucks rear end. it's good

https://twitter.com/guerillasports_/status/1737330507774402854

Sounds like Devon Toews is blaming others for his own lack of vision out there on the ice, maybe he needs to get on the level of those 6 teammates of his that are trying to be creative and get stuff done outside of the "structure" he wraps himself up in.

**usually i find that the blame often gets allocated based on perceived defensive zone shortcomings rather than taking unnecessary penalties or not contributing at the offensive end of the ice, so using Evolving Hockey's player ratings, your likely candidates for those who Toews holds in low esteem are Miles Wood, Mikko Rantanen, Ryan Johansen, Jonathan Drouin, former Dallas Star Frederick Olofsson, and Bowen Byram.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 21, 2023

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Tomas Tatar having a great time as well...that's 4 now...maybe Toews is on to something...

Tatar got tatraded I believe.

Because he was sucking.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I checked their lines and my guess as to why the Avs are bad is because they have a first line and 3 4th lines

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Szechwan posted:

After tossing aside one of the leagues hottest home ice teams in the Preds last night, the Vancouver PDO's 7-1-1 record in December is even better than their October record, after all that fuss was made about their hot start.

More importantly scoring isn't just being pushed by absurd shooting rates by the top two lines - the Canucks have been getting a ton of depth scoring. Nice to see.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Wonderllama posted:

Tatar got tatraded I believe.

Because he was sucking.

Yes he is now on the "first" line in Seattle with Eberle and Beniers. Has actually looked decent in a small sample size so far.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Doubling your season goal total of 1 in just 2 games is quite the hot start.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

DancingMachine posted:

He actually didn't call out the refs really despite the headline. My read of the article is that he is calling out department of player safety for not suspending people for dangerous behavior. Which, yeah, he is 100% right.

Remember 2 years ago when Larkin got boarded by the same dude and was suspended for punching him after?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo6YRVr4APU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Szechwan posted:

After tossing aside one of the leagues hottest home ice teams in the Preds last night, the Vancouver PDO's 7-1-1 record in December is even better than their October record, after all that fuss was made about their hot start.

This is starting to look like a team that just has streaks built into them. After their hot start they played 12 games of very hot/cold .500 hockey then got right back to the Ws.

Made me lol that the Oilers were 18 points back of them at the start of their huge win streak, we got a huge amount of "here we come!" "we're back, look out Pacific Division!" posts and after all that work they are now 19 points back.

Worth a mention that part of Vancouver's "hot and cold" streak happened while they were playing 7 games in 11 days (and went 3-4)

It has been a very good (and yes, also lucky) first 33.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

grack posted:

More importantly scoring isn't just being pushed by absurd shooting rates by the top two lines - the Canucks have been getting a ton of depth scoring. Nice to see.

They have a legitimate 3rd line that has actually taken over a few recent games, and their defense isn't Hughes standing alone in a tire fire. Also they've got a pretty good backup so they don't have to ride Demko all season til his legs fall off in March.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Yeah DeSmith has been legitimately great for the Canucks so far. I don't know why Pittsburgh didn't keep him.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Every year a different group of fans assert that their team is the one that finally beat PDO regression. Then after a while they get quiet for some reason.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
DeSmith sucks. He seems a good guy so I'm glad he's riding a hot streak in Vancouver but it will crash.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Koopa Kid posted:

Every year a different group of fans assert that their team is the one that finally beat PDO regression. Then after a while they get quiet for some reason.

cry about it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

DeSmith was okay but he was injury prone which did not work for backing up Jarry who himself is very fragile

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

heehee posted:

cry about it

Enjoy it while it lasts!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

grack posted:

Yeah DeSmith has been legitimately great for the Canucks so far. I don't know why Pittsburgh didn't keep him.

He was a pretty decent backup. I think Dubas rightfully wanted to go in a different direction after the combination of Jarry/Desmith failed to get past the first round (or stay healthy) in the past three-four years.

Of course Dubas then took one look at the FA market and realized Jarry made more sense than the other bums out there.

Amusingly enough, for all the criticism about Dubas' handling of goaltending in Toronto he seems to have done OK with that with the Pens so far. I didn't love the Jarry contract but Jarry and Ned have been quite good this season.

It's a testament to how mediocre the Pens are that Jarry and Ned have a combined 14 goals saved above expected and the Pens are still next to last in the Metro.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Magnus Hellberg also an honorable mention with a .922 in his 120 minutes of game time from the backup backup slot. With the Pens it's the same issue + an extra year of aging....zero depth scoring. I'm sure Jansen Harkins will start putting them in any day now though.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Nedeljkovic can definitely push Jarry in a way that DeSmith could not (and that Jarry really needs to be his most effective)

So good on Dubas for dumpster diving and finding a great buy-low option on a guy that can fill in if he needs to, I say. He's definitely getting better money somewhere next year

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Eric the Mauve posted:

DeSmith sucks. He seems a good guy so I'm glad he's riding a hot streak in Vancouver but it will crash.

Uhhh yeah don't read up about what he did in college then

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I don’t know that there was actually a ton of complaining about Dubas’ approach to goaltending with the Leafs, the market has been terrible for a long time and the team needed to save money somewhere. Campbell was adequate with the Leafs for a while, Samsonov had a great year last season before getting hurt, the main complaint about Murray was that he should have gotten salary retention. I wasn’t sad that he didn’t throw the bank at Darcy Kuemper.

My criticism of his moves would apply to all his roster choices since like 2019: his solutions tended to be short-term, safe, and obvious so while he always fielded a functional team he never took big swings that could add to the team’s core or push the roster over the top. Vets on the decline, reclamation projects, and guys he knew back in junior only gets you so far.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Koopa Kid posted:

I'm not saying they beat PDO or that they're a true-talent 114-point team. They're not a bad team on a heater, but they might be a good team on a heater. I wouldn't call them true contenders, but I can say there is at the moment not one major facet of the team that makes me want to swear and break things. Some things aren't perfect (Myers, Kuzmenko, the PK) but they're not causing Vancouver to lose games because they actually have other strengths.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Oh the Canucks are definitely a playoff team with the points they’ve banked already, and even if regression hit them hard tomorrow I think they’d still be able to pick up points at a pace where the rest of the season should be comfortable.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DancingMachine posted:

Yes he is now on the "first" line in Seattle with Eberle and Beniers. Has actually looked decent in a small sample size so far.

He has not looked decent. He’s looked mediocre. Tatar is not going to be the guy that somehow makes Seattle start winning consistently. He’s not a fast break forward and can’t make up for the D zone being trashy.

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

Koopa Kid posted:

Szechwan fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 21, 2023

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Views: this Kings roster should be scoring 5 goals per game.

News: they are not.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

I think the Canucks defence will regress more than the offence, they seem to be getting lots of good looks from good players, I can see goals for/ shooting percent staying above league average.

What I don’t find sustainable is the Canucks clearance of defensive rebounds, they seem to go into quite a tight box and rarely seem to give up the chance on the rebound, so many opposition attacks are one and done (one of the reasons the Canucks look so good in goal). I don’t know if that’s puck luck thing or coaching, but I don’t see other teams not working out how to pick that apart as the season goes on. Even if the Canucks D isn’t league worst anymore, there’s no way they are equal 3rd for goals against good.

VOTE1 fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 21, 2023

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

stab posted:

whoa, that's pretty lovely. I had no idea about this.

quote:

Arrest and expulsion from ice hockey

In September 2014, DeSmith was arrested for assaulting a woman who either was or had formerly been his girlfriend. He was suspended from the team immediately after his arrest, and he eventually was permanently dismissed.[6][7][8]

DeSmith accepted a plea bargain on December 4, 2014. He pleaded not guilty to all charges against him (including domestic abuse) with the exception of a single count of disorderly conduct. Under New Hampshire law, "disorderly conduct" is considered a violation rather than a misdemeanor.[9] He was sentenced to a $124 fine and 12 months of probation.[9] He also signed a diversion agreement that included community service, which would lead to all charges being formally dismissed after 12 months. DeSmith met the terms of his plea bargain and stayed out of further trouble.

He was never reinstated as a player for the Wildcats, although he continued to be enrolled as a student, and he did not play anywhere else all season.[9]

DeSmith applied for a waiver transfer, so he could play for another school, but the NCAA denied his request. According to DeSmith, several other schools were interested in him.[10]

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Jhet posted:

He has not looked decent. He’s looked mediocre. Tatar is not going to be the guy that somehow makes Seattle start winning consistently. He’s not a fast break forward and can’t make up for the D zone being trashy.

Decent and mediocre kinda mean the same thing just glass half full vs. glass half empty really. He is playing significant minutes and not embarrassing himself, occasionally making useful contributions. Relative to cost/expectations I feel like his is doing "fine". Yeah obviously he isn't going to turn this team into a winner.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Carver posted:

whoa, that's pretty lovely. I had no idea about this.

welp, me neither. Can we have Spencer Martin back?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

stab posted:

:smith:

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Winnipeg has been great lately. 20+ games in a row allowing 3 goals or less, top line of Ehlers, Scheifele and Vilardi has been dominant. Vilardi has 13 points in 13 games. (PLD has 12 points in 29). Scheifele is playing more of a complete game. Morrissey is quietly having another great year. Hellebuyck had a streak of 12 quality starts in a row up until the last game. He's back to being one of the best in the league after a poor start.

Chevaldayof has been the GM of the team since the return in 2011 and he has definitely bought himself at least another year. The PLD Trade looks great. Scheifele and Hellebuyck signings look great. Buying out Wheeler looks great. Re-signing Namestikov and Neidereiter looks great

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Lol you think there are people in the room when I'm doing that. Absolutely not.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

fisting by many posted:

welp, me neither. Can we have Spencer Martin back?

No.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Wondering how long before broadcast crews get tired of joking about how they can't pronounce Miroshnichenko.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Duck Rodgers posted:

Winnipeg has been great lately. 20+ games in a row allowing 3 goals or less, top line of Ehlers, Scheifele and Vilardi has been dominant. Vilardi has 13 points in 13 games. (PLD has 12 points in 29). Scheifele is playing more of a complete game. Morrissey is quietly having another great year. Hellebuyck had a streak of 12 quality starts in a row up until the last game. He's back to being one of the best in the league after a poor start.

Chevaldayof has been the GM of the team since the return in 2011 and he has definitely bought himself at least another year. The PLD Trade looks great. Scheifele and Hellebuyck signings look great. Buying out Wheeler looks great. Re-signing Namestikov and Neidereiter looks great

Cole Perfetti is really good too, hopefully he can stay healthy all year. Gabe Vilardi rules, really nice hands he’s great at stickhandling to creating space for himself in the slot to get a shot off. They’ve got some decent prospects on the Moose too in Brad Lambert and Chaz Lucius.

Maybe Blake Wheeler was the problem all along

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

The Dirty Burger posted:

Cole Perfetti is really good too, hopefully he can stay healthy all year. Gabe Vilardi rules, really nice hands he’s great at stickhandling to creating space for himself in the slot to get a shot off. They’ve got some decent prospects on the Moose too in Brad Lambert and Chaz Lucius.

Maybe Blake Wheeler was the problem all along

Yeah Perfetti is fun to watch. Always seems to find guys for an easy tap in. I'm looking forward to Heinola getting healthy and in the lineup. I think he'll be a big boost for the second PP. Him and Perfetti had great chemistry on the Moose PP.

It's kind of too bad about Wheeler. He was the best Jets player for a long time and a fan favorite. He just needed to be kept out of a leadership position. I think he'll ultimately be remembered fondly in Winnipeg though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

I had a lot of (probably unwarranted) hate for Chevy for awhile there but it was mostly because he wouldn’t shitcan Maurice when he was clearly incapable of doing the job.