Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Wibla posted:

Yeah the caveat is that you get to spend a fair chunk more money :v:

(At least over here in :norway: finding boards that support ECC is a pain in the rear end, and usually quite expensive)

My boyfriend is currently using an AM4 Ryzen on an ASRock desktop board with ECC RAM, they unofficially support ECC and it does seem to be reported correctly to the OS. Though I have no idea where he found the ECC sticks, it's not like Komplett has a selection of them.

(Intel, though - hah, no. Maybe on ebay from the great outlands.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

movax posted:

Subs are hard. I remember back in the day loving around with VSFilter and DirectShow filters to optimize subtitle behavior... then you had all the loving crazy poo poo with SSA/rear end karaoke effects and stuff on there. It would bring P4s to their knees trying to watch anime. Some groups just ended up hardcoding the karaoke subs and sticking with simple SRTs for most of the content. The purist / completion groups (hi) would also toss in the VOBSUBs in the case of DVD Rips.

SRTs were easy and worked well. No clue what the 'standard' is today.
Subs aren't hard, especially since they appear to be embedding mpv (well, it's what their now-archived native player on github did, and the new solution appears to do so too) - which is one of the players that handle them correctly.
They'd be impossible if they embedded vlc, though - because whoever makes that hasn't made subtitles work properly since it first came up back in the early 2000s when I was doing encoding for a subgroup.

It's kinda telling that they did that without apparently giving anything back to mpv, though.
Seems like a TiVo moment to me, if they're doing something proprietary with GPL v2 code.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Wibla posted:

I'd go for a relatively new, cheap i5 or similar. Some caveats if you want/need ECC. QSV is amazing for transcoding.

Ryzens are a lot better power-wise - when I bench-tested my Ryzen 3700X on a cheap B550 board with 32GB ram and an NVMe drive, it pulled 22W from the wall idling in proxmox.

I was thinking a Zen 4 CPU (Ryzen 7700) + Rocketpoint HBA(s) would be perfect for a NVMe-based solution. I'm not crazy high IOPS so I don't mind chaining a bunch of NVMe drives via NVMe switch, but 28 lanes from a desktop CPU + ECC RAM would be pretty decent.

Without any PCIe switching, that is 7 x4 drives. Putting a high-bandwidth switch on x16 port from CPU, could go above that. EPYC or ThreadRipper has the most lanes but I feel like power consumption is a losing battle there.

Platonic ideal (?) -- ~150W NVMe NAS based on 6+ 61TB Solidigm drives (potentially set to power optimized, performance de-focus mode via tools someone mentioned earlier).

e: oops, I knew 28 sounded weird. x4 for chipset link, so its really just 16 + 8. Then you hang your 10Gb networking off the chipset.

movax fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 21, 2023

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Computer viking posted:

My boyfriend is currently using an AM4 Ryzen on an ASRock desktop board with ECC RAM, they unofficially support ECC and it does seem to be reported correctly to the OS. Though I have no idea where he found the ECC sticks, it's not like Komplett has a selection of them.

I am using a 5900X on X570 Taichi for TrueNAS and it's definitely reporting ECC errors because the first set of UDIMMs I got (NEMIX, from Newegg) threw a whole bunch of them when I ran Memtest as a precaution. The second, working pair was a 2x16G 3200MT/s Kingston set from Provantage (I assume not an option in the EU, sadly) and they have been flawless.

I'm not even sure if I would call the ASRock consumer boards' ECC support "unofficial", as they list "ECC & non-ECC" in the specs directly. The consumer processor ECC support is unofficial, though.

e: There are also a couple ASUS AM4 motherboards that explicitly support ECC, I know the WS X570-ACE is one.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 21, 2023

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Computer viking posted:

Yeah - I was referring to Intel :v:

I guess it might be time to grab an ASRock card and a cheap 5000-series CPU to replace my E5-2670 v3?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

see the advantage to just having kodi as the media centre app and using a plugin on that to interface with jellyfin/emby/plex is that you don't need to worry about codecs, subtitles, or anything. that'll handle anything you can throw at it and decode it properly (unless we go into the mess of hdr...). you really shouldn't be running a mysql backend these days for any of that, just have kodi act as a thin-client and hold any resume/watched data on the nas

hell even on my steamdeck i just have kodi running in desktop mode (with a shortcut from the main ui so its seamless) and that can be a plug and play media centre or watching/playing music outside. transcoding was a necessity a decade ago and only sits around now because of hevc<->browser problems and extremely low power devices that were never meant to do anything good to begin with (imo)

e: and subtitles are way more hosed up than you think when you get into the fine details. there's still really poo poo subtitles out there throwing in html tags, or using forks of subtitling software that is straight up encoding colours and placements wrong

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
I've got 3 Kodi clients using the emby plugin. Native mode does still proxy through emby via http, but its not transcoding anything. The clients do any transcoding fine. I actually just got a tivo stream 4k ($35) for an older TV that had a fire stick that died. It works great running 4k files at 1080p. The fire stick was awful.

Having the central emby service handle the metadata and everything works well. The nas I'm running emby on cannot transcode worth anything, no GPU and an ivy bridge cpu, but not a problem with even inexpensive clients.

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 21, 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Wibla posted:

Yeah - I was referring to Intel :v:

I guess it might be time to grab an ASRock card and a cheap 5000-series CPU to replace my E5-2670 v3?

It's not a bad platform, though it's annoying that you have to choose between ECC and an embedded GPU; it's apparently a Ryzen Pro feature to have both. Not an issue for us, since we use it in a gaming PC - but annoying for a server. I guess you could throw in a cheap Intel Arc, I think they do transcoding decently well while being small and low power? (And for the sheer novelty of a reverse AMD/Intel setup.)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Eletriarnation posted:

I'm not sure if this is determined by the source format, the ripping utility, or my Handbrake presets, but I checked just now and my Blu-Ray rip of LotR: Fellowship uses PGS subtitles. If I use the official Plex app then it doesn't need to transcode when subtitles are on but if I use app.plex.tv, it does.

So, maybe no one else is ripping their entire disc library using MakeMKV or has friends who might use app.plex.tv instead of the store app but it has the potential to be relevant at least in my experience.

e: It's not Handbrake since that seems to offer no ability to change subtitle format (at least, to change PGS) and I kind of doubt it's MakeMKV either since its whole shtick is that it just dumps the disc data straight to a file.

At the risk of really running this into the ground, I believe that the Plex web app always transcodes. I suspect if you try to play the same file without subtitles you'll see the same transcoding and if you disable transcoding completely it will give you an error message along the lines of the "server is not powerful enough to play."

It's been a very long time since I had issues with Plex and subtitles, and I have transcoding completely disabled.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
It may be something to do with the system the app is running on as well, but that is not the case for me - watching in the dashboard, if I switch the subtitles off on the stream which is using app.plex.tv then after a short time it will switch from "Transcode (hw)" to "Direct Stream".

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Computer viking posted:

It's not a bad platform, though it's annoying that you have to choose between ECC and an embedded GPU; it's apparently a Ryzen Pro feature to have both. Not an issue for us, since we use it in a gaming PC - but annoying for a server. I guess you could throw in a cheap Intel Arc, I think they do transcoding decently well while being small and low power? (And for the sheer novelty of a reverse AMD/Intel setup.)

I have a P400 that I can use, so that's not a problem. But I need a SAS HBA and a 10gbe NIC as well, that might be tough to fit in the more and more gimped PCIe layouts these cards come with...

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Eletriarnation posted:

e: It's not Handbrake since that seems to offer no ability to change subtitle format (at least, to change PGS) and I kind of doubt it's MakeMKV either since its whole shtick is that it just dumps the disc data straight to a file.
PGS is the Blu-ray subtitle format and is image-based (same with DVD subtitles). So the reason there's no one-click SRT convert button is that that would require OCR on every character.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Eletriarnation posted:

I'm not sure if this is determined by the source format, the ripping utility, or my Handbrake presets, but I checked just now and my Blu-Ray rip of LotR: Fellowship uses PGS subtitles. If I use the official Plex app then it doesn't need to transcode when subtitles are on but if I use app.plex.tv, it does.

So, maybe no one else is ripping their entire disc library using MakeMKV or has friends who might use app.plex.tv instead of the store app but it has the potential to be relevant at least in my experience.

See above. For more reading on the subject and why, etc.

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.3.0/advanced/subtitles.html

You are much much better off just downloading SRT based or similar subs from internet archives and injecting those. Plex can even often read the raw subtitle file if it’s just sitting separately next to the MKV. It should be preferable to PGS based subtitles for a ton of reasons, but mainly because it’ll not force transcodes AND you can customize the subtitle styling based on device.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Wibla posted:

I have a P400 that I can use, so that's not a problem. But I need a SAS HBA and a 10gbe NIC as well, that might be tough to fit in the more and more gimped PCIe layouts these cards come with...

The PCIe layout is one of the things that makes me want a Threadripper, they seem to be overflowing with lanes.

That said, the board CV2 is using is actually not an ASRock, but a Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P that also explicitly says it supports ECC. It has three x16 slots with some spacing between them, enough to fit a GPU, HBA, and NIC. You may be able to find a board with a 10Gbit NIC onboard, which would save a slot; this one only has 2x 2.5GBit .
Looking at it, the only Gigabyte card with a 10Gbit NIC seems to be the Aorus Xtreme (a cool 7.490,- ) and the ASRock X570 Creator is an even more hair-raising 10.564,- ... and out of stock until March.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 21, 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Comedy option: Lenovo will happily sell you a ThinkStation P620 with a Threadripper Pro, ECC RAM, an integrated 10Gbit NIC, four x16 slots, and I think you can fit five 3.5" drives in there if you pick the option to put one in the optical bay. You can configure it down to 27.500,- (about $2660 including Norwegian 25% sales tax) with 16 GB RAM and no drives or GPU.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Do also remember that raidz expansion is coming - as in, it's merged and being tested by folks.

I saw raidz_expansion got merged into master.

I'm assuming if folks testing with the master branch don't find any flaws, that said feature will move into the 2.2.3 release sometime around spring?

I'm currently taking my time (and making changes) on a new build, and may actually compile/test master and see how it handles expansion with some 18tb drives.

After waffling around on my expansion/new build, I think I'm going to retire all my aging 8tb disks. Probably going to pick up a few more drives and run two raid2z zpools.

Hell, maybe even try to reduce/reuse/recycle with those 8tbs and get an actual backup of all these Linux isos.

My current setup has 2x 4 disk raidz zpools, but out of the 58tb useable I currently have, im down to like 9.8tb free (83% ish used).

At what point does ZFS start to melt down performance wise because of it being a CoW filesystem? I recall 85% being a number tossed around.

Edit: my use case is pretty relaxed (just playing back those isos), no snapshots either. I guess even if performance started diminishing, I probably wouldn't notice until it's a well below gigabit sequential read speeds.

Edit 2: She's a wee bit fragmented

code:

root@Moey-TrueNAS[~]# zpool list
NAME        SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  CKPOINT  EXPANDSZ   FRAG    CAP  DEDUP    HEALTH  ALTROOT
Media      80.0T  66.4T  13.6T        -         -    16%    82%  1.00x    ONLINE  /mnt

Moey fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 21, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Moey posted:

I saw raidz_expansion got merged into master.

I'm assuming if folks testing with the master branch don't find any flaws, that said feature will move into the 2.2.3 release sometime around spring?

I'm currently taking my time (and making changes) on a new build, and may actually compile/test master and see how it handles expansion with some 18tb drives.

After waffling around on my expansion/new build, I think I'm going to retire all my aging 8tb disks. Probably going to pick up a few more drives and run two raid2z zpools.

Hell, maybe even try to reduce/reuse/recycle with those 8tbs and get an actual backup of all these Linux isos.

My current setup has 2x 4 disk raidz zpools, but out of the 58tb useable I currently have, im down to like 9.8tb free (83% ish used).

At what point does ZFS start to melt down performance wise because of it being a CoW filesystem? I recall 85% being a number tossed around.

Edit: my use case is pretty relaxed (just playing back those isos), no snapshots either. I guess even if performance started diminishing, I probably wouldn't notice until it's a well below gigabit sequential read speeds.

Edit 2: She's a wee bit fragmented

code:
root@Moey-TrueNAS[~]# zpool list
NAME        SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  CKPOINT  EXPANDSZ   FRAG    CAP  DEDUP    HEALTH  ALTROOT
Media      80.0T  66.4T  13.6T        -         -    16%    82%  1.00x    ONLINE  /mnt

It's targeted to be in v2.3 and is expected to be out in a years time or so.

As for melting down performance-wise, I've had pools get north of 95% and still be capable of satuating NFS over 1Gbps, so I really don't know - ultimately, it depends on the fragmentation of the data.

And speaking of that, the value you see in zpool list is not how fragmented the data is, it's how fragmented the free space is - ie. when you write data sequentially, and then later on delete part of it, there are going to be small segments which ZFS can once it's no longer capable of writing all its data sequentially.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I guess the BSD versions of TrueNAS are already one foot in the grave.

quote:

We have no plans for a FreeBSD 14-based TrueNAS at this time, and the 13.1 release will be a longer-lived maintenance train for those who want to continue running on the BSD product before migrating to SCALE later at some later date.

On the SCALE side, it is where the future of TrueNAS is going, all new features and development activities take place there now.

quote:

CORE we still will maintain with updates for a while as their are large enough numbers of users on 13.1 to justify it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/truenas/comments/18hfwcr/comment/kd7l36h/

I mean, the full quote might be subject to interpretation, but alas.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm happier than ever that I migrated, from FreeNAS 0.8 or whatever it was, to plain FreeBSD that can do everything I need, rather than an appliance that can be made to do most of it with way too much effort.

Not sure what the full quote is, since I don't refuse to use that site, but it sure seems like they've changed their tune.
Put not your faith in corporations, I guess.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Dec 21, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Well, poo poo. I'm about to stand up a big dumb storage box and I was planning on doing TrueNAS because I figured it'd be simpler, less fuss, and more reliable. This thing just has to serve NFS, that's it.

I guess I didn't need updates anyway, just feels bad to see them move away from support.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If you're not hung up on it being specifically BSD or Linux, it matters gently caress all because both Core and Scale do NFS.

That said, some people have strong opinions about that. If you qualify, I guess you're SOL. IIRC there's at least one other BSD based NAS distro, if you want it to come with an UI out of the box. But I can't remember what it was called. NAS4Free probably.

Personally I'm on Scale mainly just because the Linux kernel comes with a NVMe-oF target driver, that also does RDMA. The Kubernetes stuff irks me a lot, but it sounds like they're doing work to support containers via systems-nspawn or something like that, as alternative to k3s.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 21, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Well, poo poo. I'm about to stand up a big dumb storage box and I was planning on doing TrueNAS because I figured it'd be simpler, less fuss, and more reliable. This thing just has to serve NFS, that's it.

I guess I didn't need updates anyway, just feels bad to see them move away from support.
If you wanna stick with NFS because you're using NFSv4 ACLs (which are otherwise only available if you run a Illumos distro), there's always XigmaNAS.

It's the "also forked from FreeNAS", but it stayed much closer to FreeNAS in terms of UI and general experience, so it generally isn't mentioned by all the people who like pretty UIs.

Combat Pretzel posted:

If you're not hung up on it being specifically BSD or Linux, it matters gently caress all because both Core and Scale do NFS.

That said, some people have strong opinions about that. If you qualify, I guess you're SOL. IIRC there's at least one other BSD based NAS distro, if you want it to come with an UI out of the box. But I can't remember what it was called. NAS4Free probably.

Personally I'm on Scale mainly just because the Linux kernel comes with a NVMe-oF target driver, that also does RDMA. The Kubernetes stuff irks me a lot, but it sounds like they're doing work to support containers via systems-nspawn or something like that, as alternative to k3s.
How is TrueNAS Scale visa vis parity on NFSv4 support with FreeBSD and Illumos? And if there's parity, is it compatible with the other implementation?
Because that's always been the big sticking point for anyone doing NFS+SMB deployments who want to do permissions.

Ya, NAS4Free became XigmaNAS - it doesn't change much, but it's a NAS appliance, so that's probably for the better.

For what it's worth, jhb@ has been working on that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sSwkUZNqmc

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 21, 2023

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

As for melting down performance-wise, I've had pools get north of 95% and still be capable of satuating NFS over 1Gbps, so I really don't know - ultimately, it depends on the fragmentation of the data.

And speaking of that, the value you see in zpool list is not how fragmented the data is, it's how fragmented the free space is - ie. when you write data sequentially, and then later on delete part of it, there are going to be small segments which ZFS can once it's no longer capable of writing all its data sequentially.

Yeah, I did some reading about that frag value, interesting column title vs actual description.

I'm not really concerned since I'll me migrating the data to a different system. Guess I'll just grab one or two more 18tb and go from there.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

So is there a way to show data fragmentation?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Wibla posted:

code:
zpool get fragmentation

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Wibla posted:

Don't ask don't tell

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Wibla posted:

Unfortunately not, but there isn't much utility in knowing if it's fragmented or not - because the ARC more than makes up for any shortfalls where a traditional filesystem in a kernel with a LRU cache replacement policy in the VM would benefit from being defragmented.
Amusingly, to me anyway, the thread title is very apropos, as fragmentation doesn't happen if you don't delete things.

The way to ensure things are sequentially re-written is to use zfs send | receive on existing data, because anything else would violate copy-on-write semantics.

IOwnCalculus posted:

code:
zpool get fragmentation
That's free space fragmentation, as was just said above.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

This is comically bad communication IMO... don't "real" companies have iX stuff in prod? Now do I just do SCALE instead and say 'gently caress it, doesn't matter for my poo poo anyways'?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I don't understand what's prompting the outrage here - were you expecting that they would keep supporting both SCALE and CORE in parallel in perpetuity? It seemed obvious to me that SCALE would become the way forward if it turned out to be a successful alternative, otherwise I'm not sure why they would have bothered creating it at all.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I've been using TrueNAS CORE for a while. I run Debian on everything else though - I wonder if I should just go with Debian for my next NAS as well since ZFS on Linux has matured a lot over the years. My NAS is so basic that with just a few SMB & NFS shares and a cloud backup job, it would be easy to switch over to configuring it myself and scripting it all with Ansible while I'm at it. I think the homogeneity with the rest of my personal infrastructure would make things easier in the long run.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

movax posted:

This is comically bad communication IMO... don't "real" companies have iX stuff in prod? Now do I just do SCALE instead and say 'gently caress it, doesn't matter for my poo poo anyways'?

Sure? But like, they are giving plenty of notice, probably at least a couple of years.

Plus Scale is pretty much a drop-in replacement, at least for managing the actual ZFS pools. If you've got jails or whatever setup I guess you've got to start thinking of how to migrate that to another BSD box/vm or transform it into another container workflow. But it's not like it's going to stop working suddenly.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

I built a pure storage server less than a month ago and migrated my ZFS disks to it from my ESX host. TrueNAS CORE again, same the VM I had before. Beforehand, I tested SCALE, encountered the ARC memory size restriction/default configuration, read up on some of the reasons why it does that, and cheerfully hosed off back to CORE.

It just feels lovely I guess. It's the second badly communicated support pivot for a piece of software I use in my homelab in just the last couple months (pfsense was the first). I'm just waiting for Broadcom to clamp down on ESX and force me into having to migrate that as well to proxmox (ugh) or similar.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Can you elaborate on how it's badly communicated? CORE is still actively supported and has another promised version in the future, so this doesn't seem like some kind of sudden abandonment to me. Anyone who is still using it and relying on active support probably has at least a year or two to go before they really have to care, and as a homelab user it's unclear to me why you would have to care at all until you're deploying your next set of hardware. At that point, you just deploy SCALE instead and go on about your business... right?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
well here are a number of reasons why it sucks

- no more freebsd jails
- can't carry forward your old jails, you have to rebuild everything
- a decade+ of documentation
- usual linux vs bsd hardware support

ugh

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Someone from iX in reddit comments saying "this is the end of CORE" as the only way this is being communicated seems pretty sketch to me. I suppose we'll get more official notice from iX when they release whatever that version is next year? Was this announced somewhere more official and I just missed it?

I'm not claiming it's sudden abandonment. It's just regular, planned abandonment. It feels less lovely than a full on rug pull would be, but it still feels bad? I dunno I don't particularly blame them for the decision.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Wild EEPROM posted:

well here are a number of reasons why it sucks

- no more freebsd jails
- can't carry forward your old jails, you have to rebuild everything
- a decade+ of documentation
- usual linux vs bsd hardware support

ugh

Yeah, but it's not clear to me how iXsystems is doing anything wrong if they don't care about all that. This is the reality of using an open source project which depends on commercial backing. You always have the option to fork it and support it yourself, cold comfort though that may be.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Yeah it's free and we should be thankful we get anything at all I suppose, right?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I mean, again - did you really expect them to support both trains forever? There isn't even an EoL date for CORE yet, they are just indicating that there probably will be one.

Really, tell me what you would do differently if you were in charge of the decision and just decided "hey, we are not going to support CORE forever, how should we communicate this?"

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 22, 2023

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

A press release with their full EOL plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Well, again, the hypothetical is that they just decided that CORE will not be supported forever - so it is possible that this is as much of "their full EoL plan" as currently exists. Do you have a reason to believe that they're withholding information? Should they wait to say anything at all until the plan is more concrete?