Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
E: crappy page snipe with a crappy post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

skasion posted:

This is a franchise where the movie where they go to the 80s and save the whales is one of the “good ones”

Yeah, the movies are supposed to be bad, just have fun with em. One off Star Trek movies handed to people would be cool. They're not in an alternate universe, there's no interaction possible with the shows or "canon" it's just a unique take on Star Trek elements to tell a story.

Earth Day
Dec 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Memorable Moments!

Exhibit "A" in my Supreme Court case against pretty much everything that Secret Hideout has produced regarding Star Trek would be a lack of truly iconic moments or pieces of dialogue. But I am prepared to be convinced otherwise!

Please share your most potent examples of the Nu-Treks at their finest! No epic space battles (boring), but great scenes and quotes. ("Yum yum" does NOT count.)

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

dr_rat posted:

Hey he did direct and have a story by credit on this episode of CSI, and I haven't seen it but come on it's CIS it's got to be garbage!

I rest my case on why Tarantino is the worst writer/director of the 21st century, and would be awful at star trek.

The basic pitch of "R-rated Tarantino Trek" sounds absolutely awful, but his episode of CSI is actually a pretty good demonstration that he can work within constraints.

I haven't seen that CSI episode since it aired, but it was absolutely the television equivalent of PG-13, and honestly, iirc it was better than most of CSI in terms of pacing, writing, and especially the soundtrack. 18 years later, and I still remember it introduced me to The Turtles via Outside Chance.

So, tl;dr, there's no reason Tarantino would need to make an R rated Trek, because he's 100% capable of working at the PG/PG-13 rating.

Earth Day
Dec 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Bilirubin posted:

Oh great, ANOTHER Soong

:dance:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

OGS-Remix posted:

He can complete Roddenberry's vision of having Spock assassinate Kennedy.

Red Dwarf already had Kennedy assassinate Kennedy so it's hard to go on from there.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think this is probably the doomsday scenario for the Trek IP

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1737578064543109352?s=20

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Coming soon*, Star Trek: The Search For More Tax Write Offs.

*Never released for public consumption.

Seriously though Double :rip: Prodigy. Zaslav with take a chainsaw to it for a kickback even harder than Paramount already did.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Prodigy is over at Amazon now though so I doubt that would change. WBD has done a lot of that kind of thing themselves, with licensing certain shows or films to other companies to bring in revenue. That's usually why you see things like Westworld or the one season Watchmen show getting pulled from Max.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Haha, I said to myself that this was clearly in response to Disney buying everything and them trying to get bigger to compete. Then I looked at the market caps of all three and lol it's not that!

Star Trek just needs someone to start a poorly thought out new channel or media delivery service every once in a while that they need a big name for for. That's where Star Trek really brings its A game. This will give twice as many chances for people to come up with new badly thought out distribution plans!

It's actually funny that at least three star trek projects have started this way (arguably more if you consider the full current slate of shows as one big push for the online service rather than just discovery). Like, why don't you already have shows if you're so excited to start these things? I'm not complaining, but?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

T.C. posted:

Haha, I said to myself that this was clearly in response to Disney buying everything and them trying to get bigger to compete. Then I looked at the market caps of all three and lol it's not that!

Star Trek just needs someone to start a poorly thought out new channel or media delivery service every once in a while that they need a big name for for. That's where Star Trek really brings its A game. This will give twice as many chances for people to come up with new badly thought out distribution plans!

It's actually funny that at least three star trek projects have started this way (arguably more if you consider the full current slate of shows as one big push for the online service rather than just discovery). Like, why don't you already have shows if you're so excited to start these things? I'm not complaining, but?

So Discovery for P+, Voyager for UPN... What was the third one?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There was supposed to be a Star Trek Phase 2 for an aborted Paramount Network that was intended to launch in the 1970s

I think only two would apply

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

OGS-Remix posted:

He can complete Roddenberry's vision of having Spock assassinate Kennedy.

Red Dwarf had the best take on this I think

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

nine-gear crow posted:

So Discovery for P+, Voyager for UPN... What was the third one?

Babylon 5 for TNT

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

A good reminder I need to buy all the DVDs and Blu-rays next year

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

pyrotek posted:

A good reminder I need to buy all the DVDs and Blu-rays next year

SNW on UHD looks loving amazing.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Was the Red Dwarf JFK assassination episode based on Roddenberry's dream of Spock shooting him, or was it just a coincidence?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
My "The Inner Fight" LDS4E9 shirt finally shipped from Titmouse today. I was getting ready to fire off a "it's one week shy of two months, fellas, what the gently caress" email.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

FlamingLiberal posted:

There was supposed to be a Star Trek Phase 2 for an aborted Paramount Network that was intended to launch in the 1970s

I think only two would apply

I'm counting phase two being rolled over into TMP

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Earth Day posted:

Memorable Moments!

Exhibit "A" in my Supreme Court case against pretty much everything that Secret Hideout has produced regarding Star Trek would be a lack of truly iconic moments or pieces of dialogue. But I am prepared to be convinced otherwise!

Please share your most potent examples of the Nu-Treks at their finest! No epic space battles (boring), but great scenes and quotes. ("Yum yum" does NOT count.)

Are we talking just the 2009 onwards films or the new series?
Because LDS has loads of moments!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Discovery has a poo poo ton of memorable moments, it's an over the top melodrama most of the time.

For example: The Klingon chancellor decapitates a baby in front of the Senate. It's stupid but also hilarious and memorable as hell

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Discovery has a poo poo ton of memorable moments, it's an over the top melodrama most of the time.

For example: The Klingon chancellor decapitates a baby in front of the Senate. It's stupid but also hilarious and memorable as hell

Ironically I don't remember that at all.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

"This is the power of math, people!!"

Because even though I can't remember much of any given part of season 2, that bit will stick around forever

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

She didn't though? She threw a baby's head at the Senate, claiming it was her child, to cover up him joining the Time Monks. And I think the baby head was fake too, but the Senate didn't get a good look at it.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Pwnstar posted:

Farscape is cool because its an isekai where the main characters special power is being too crazy to deal with.

I also love how rather than having all the non human characters centre themselves around the human, he is constantly dismissed and belittled.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Eighties ZomCom posted:

She didn't though? She threw a baby's head at the Senate, claiming it was her child, to cover up him joining the Time Monks. And I think the baby head was fake too, but the Senate didn't get a good look at it.

It was fake but from the in universe audience perspective she just decapitated a baby and they cheered

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I also love how rather than having all the non human characters centre themselves around the human, he is constantly dismissed and belittled.

Congrats, you look like this region of the Galaxy's hated fascist species, but you don't even have their abilities. Or any abilities.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

Congrats, you look like this region of the Galaxy's hated fascist species, but you don't even have their abilities. Or any abilities.

Yeah well at least he can visit a sauna.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

As well he should, dude needs to relax

He's going crackers

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It’s not the species that’s fascist, it’s just the peacekeepers in particular. There’s a whole other empire of Sebaceans who are a completely different kind of rear end in a top hat (guys who turn their royals into statuary)

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Brawnfire posted:

As well he should, dude needs to relax

He's going crackers

fine, I'll bite.

CRACKERS... DON'T... MATTER!

Earth Day
Dec 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Taear posted:

Are we talking just the 2009 onwards films or the new series?
Because LDS has loads of moments!

LDS is stacking the deck. Live action only!

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

It was fake but from the in universe audience perspective she just decapitated a baby and they cheered

It's been a while since I watched it but I thought she blamed Voq/Tyler for the baby decapitation and had him "executed".

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I thought she was telling everybody she executed both of them to show how hardcore she was

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Burning_Monk posted:

fine, I'll bite.

CRACKERS... DON'T... MATTER!

i've always wondered if they 100% trashed that rigel puppet after it got crackered up

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Earth Day posted:

Memorable Moments!

Oh man, that's gonna be easy, there's so many great moments from Lower Decks-

Earth Day posted:

LDS is stacking the deck. Live action only!

... okay, that narrows it down considerably, but still doable with what little modern Trek I've seen!

SNW season 2, episode 7, "Those Old Scientists," the subplot with Una trying to figure out why Boimler is so nervous around her, only to find out from Mariner that it's because he has a poster of Una pinned up next to his bunk. Near the end of the episode, they clear up the misunderstanding, and reveal that it's a recruiting poster - Una was a major inspiration for Boimler to join Starfleet, and the existence of the poster shows that not only is she eventually accepted, but even held up as a standard for future generations to aspire to follow.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Earth Day posted:

Memorable Moments!

code:

LORCA: You'd take food out of the mouths of the only two men standing between you and death?
MUDD: drat right I would. Because this is all Starfleet has left me. I used to have a life, Captain. A good one. A respectable business. That all got blown up, because of your goddamn war.
LORCA: Starfleet didn't start this war.
MUDD: Of course you did. The moment you decided to boldly go where no one had gone before. What do you think would happen when you bump into someone who didn't want you in their front yard?
TYLER: You're siding with the enemy?
MUDD: I'm not siding with anyone. But I sure as hell understand why the Klingons pushed back. Starfleet arrogance. Have you ever bothered to look out of your spaceships down at the little guys below? If you had, you'd realise that there's a lot more of us down there than there are you up here, and we're sick and tired of getting caught in your crossfire.

I really like this exchange because it's a rare glimpse at a different perspective. Just two good actors stealing the scene.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PriorMarcus posted:

Ironically I don't remember that at all.

How could you forget? He cuts the baby's head off and then shouts "I F*CKING LOVE SCIENCE! FOR THE WIN LOL"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Cojawfee posted:

How could you forget? He cuts the baby's head off and then shouts "I F*CKING LOVE SCIENCE! FOR THE WIN LOL"

Tbh I wish the actual scene was this