Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Imagine they somehow got the go-ahead to remaster Unreal?

That’s mean. I’m going to send you this months therapy bill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

My interpretation of that tweet (repost? Whatever, gently caress off Elon) is that it's new code.

I think that would rule Unreal out, no? I thought the source code for Unreal was already "out there" with Epic's permission, and forms the basis of the current Unreal and UT99 fan projects?

I could be massively wrong on all of that. Either way something needs to be done about Timmy's terrible decisions from earlier this year so I hope it is Unreal (and UT99).

I still play UT99 regularly and it rocks. There's a lot to be said for official support, officially being able to buy it and the possibility of a renewed community, though.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm hoping for Ultima Underworld :getin:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Volte posted:

It's already $5 at full price, how cheap does it need to get?

I'm poor :twisted:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Thief remasters would be great just to cut back on some of the jank you have to deal with on modern systems. Such great games shouldn't be at the mercy of whether you can find the right thing on moddb.

Or maybe they're jumping straight from Dark Forces to Outlaws since Lucius has already done some of the work for them

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

Unironically this. Or Unreal, but that seems even more far-fetched.

Also, unrelated, but are you the person behind the Gun Bonsai mod? I'm having a lot of fun cheesing frustrating UV wads with that, cheers!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Which Doom games are you missing on Steam, Doom (1993) and Doom 2?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Guillermus posted:

Which Doom games are you missing on Steam, Doom (1993) and Doom 2?

Doom 1 for about 4 more hours. I made out like a bandit last year and I should have gotten it then tbh. Duke, Blood, Doom 2 all 2 bucks each

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat

ToxicFrog posted:

This would be cool, a remake/remaster with less clunky interface. Maybe add in a level designer too yes please

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"
Are the Crysis games worth playing? the remastered trilogy is on sale for 75% off

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

if they do i hope they reuse some of the marketing material

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Voodoo Cafe posted:

Are the Crysis games worth playing? the remastered trilogy is on sale for 75% off

I found Crysis 1 to be pretty fun for most of the game. Crysis 2 is a product of it's time, but still pretty entertaining in a COD/Michael Bay sort of way. Way more linear than Crysis 1 though; the huge environments where you can maneuver around and kinda experiment with your approach are pretty much gone.

I've started and bounced off Crysis 3 multiple times, never got more than 1/4 through I would say.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I found Crysis 1 to be pretty fun for most of the game. Crysis 2 is a product of it's time, but still pretty entertaining in a COD/Michael Bay sort of way. Way more linear than Crysis 1 though; the huge environments where you can maneuver around and kinda experiment with your approach are pretty much gone.

I've started and bounced off Crysis 3 multiple times, never got more than 1/4 through I would say.

the ALPHA CEPH!!!! is about all i remember of that whole trilogy

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

Unironically this. Or Unreal, but that seems even more far-fetched.

Also, unrelated, but are you the person behind the Gun Bonsai mod? I'm having a lot of fun cheesing frustrating UV wads with that, cheers!

Unreal is nice, but it's honestly not that high up my list compared to stuff like UUW, Thief, Ground Control, maybe Homeworld Cataclysm...

And yes, I am the author of Gun Bonsai! Glad to hear you're enjoying it; I've been getting back into it over the holidays, but I think it's probably going to be mostly maintenance updates and not new features. We'll see.

raccoon.bmp
Feb 16, 2023

🦝

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I'd take being able to buy any of them at this point

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ToxicFrog posted:

Unreal is nice, but it's honestly not that high up my list compared to stuff like UUW, Thief, Ground Control, maybe Homeworld Cataclysm...

And yes, I am the author of Gun Bonsai! Glad to hear you're enjoying it; I've been getting back into it over the holidays, but I think it's probably going to be mostly maintenance updates and not new features. We'll see.

Pretty sure I've said this in the thread before...not an FPS but I would kill for some additional C&C remasters.

Tiberian Sun/Firestorm and RA2/YR made up the bulk of my childhood gaming along with Half-Life1 and it's various mods.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A TibSun/RA2 remaster with the same quality standard as the C&C/RA remaster would bring world peace

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Thief 1/2 run flawlessly on modern systems with NewDark so I really don't see the need for a source port or enhanced edition right now when there's many other retro FPSes that could get one instead.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Tiny Timbs posted:

A TibSun/RA2 remaster with the same quality standard as the C&C/RA remaster would bring world peace

It really would be a slam dunk so it's no wonder EA is not in any hurry to do it. I was watching some comp matches recently it's a lot of fun. Some are very, very fast. MCV got terror droned and game won at 3 minute mark fast lol. Not having recorded games and obviously being pre-streaming really limited the growth of the scene back in the day but now with twitch and youtube I could see it sticking around for a while to come

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Lemon-Lime posted:

Thief 1/2 run flawlessly on modern systems with NewDark so I really don't see the need for a source port or enhanced edition right now when there's many other retro FPSes that could get one instead.

Remasters not only bring in new players, but also revive a community and give it a spotlight again. Quake1/2 ran fine on modern PCs with sourceports, but you didn't see many people complaining about those remasters. Plus, the ability to reach even more people via console ports.

Milo and POTUS posted:

It really would be a slam dunk so it's no wonder EA is not in any hurry to do it. I was watching some comp matches recently it's a lot of fun. Some are very, very fast. MCV got terror droned and game won at 3 minute mark fast lol. Not having recorded games and obviously being pre-streaming really limited the growth of the scene back in the day but now with twitch and youtube I could see it sticking around for a while to come

I'm hoping the upcoming mini RTS-revival will at least get them thinking about it again. Hopefully those games do well enough that they decide to take a shot at it. Unfortunately, those games will never be huge live-service money printers so it seems like they rather just not bother.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Lemon-Lime posted:

Yeah I’m playing Thief right now using mods and it plays amazing.

But, we live in an era where there’s an established precedent for studios doing amazing work to breath new life into old games, give them a renewed spotlight, make improvements etc and just generally give them a second wind - even if they’re already available. My position at this point in response to “Nightdive should do X” is “sure, let’s go”.

Echoing the call for more C&C. That first/RA remaster is amazing.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Bumhead posted:

But, we live in an era where there’s an established precedent for studios doing amazing work to breath new life into old games, give them a renewed spotlight, make improvements etc and just generally give them a second wind - even if they’re already available. My position at this point in response to “Nightdive should do X” is “sure, let’s go”.

Nightdive should do Pathways Into Darkness. I have the floppies but my old mac doesn't have a functioning floppy drive any more.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It would be pretty cool to get it totally remade with modern assets, but if you have a more recent Mac there's a port on the Mac App Store

Pathways is presumably owned by Sony now, along with the rest of Bungie. Although they may be getting a little desperate for money now, so who knows how an offer might be received...

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

1. Blood 2
2. Thief 1-2
3. SiN, and they're gonna redo and complete SiN Episodes
4. Kingpin

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Nightdive releasing their own remaster of Kingpin right now would be an extremely funny flex

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

haveblue posted:

It would be pretty cool to get it totally remade with modern assets, but if you have a more recent Mac there's a port on the Mac App Store

Pathways is presumably owned by Sony now, along with the rest of Bungie. Although they may be getting a little desperate for money now, so who knows how an offer might be received...

my most recent mac is from 1997

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

The Donut posted:

This would be cool, a remake/remaster with less clunky interface. Maybe add in a level designer too yes please

Coming in 2030...

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

I know I saw this video somewhere on the forums but didn't see it in the last couple of pages of this thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRB7iUCX4KQ
Cool find of a cheat to load burned discs hidden in that PS1 Alien FPS game - otherwise best known as the first FPS to have dual analog controls by default.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Got some links for those comp matches? Sounds fun!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Decent 1, 2, and 3

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Tiny Timbs posted:

Even a standard, no frills remaster would go a long way because playing those games on modern resolutions suck. The best part of the CNC remasters was that you could zoom in and out so it didn't feel like commanding ants.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

bbcisdabomb posted:

Nightdive should do Pathways Into Darkness. I have the floppies but my old mac doesn't have a functioning floppy drive any more.

Oh man, Pathways would be sick.

You don't need an old mac to play it, though; it runs fine in SheepShaver, and these days there's a port to Aleph One which is probably the most straightforward way to play it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

William Shatner's
Tekwar
Re-Shatnered

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Turok Evolution

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Joe Chill posted:

Even a standard, no frills remaster would go a long way because playing those games on modern resolutions suck. The best part of the CNC remasters was that you could zoom in and out so it didn't feel like commanding ants.

Lol, I'm the opposite, I love how those games (especially tibsun) look at high, gods-eye resolutions.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Voodoo Cafe posted:

I beat the first one a little while ago. It's ok, but its biggest problems are the fact that your suit energy is too limited so you never really feel like the badass from the intro cutscene, and the entire second half with the aliens is pretty bad. The first one's easier to handle, you'll eventually either fall into the groove or drop the game, but the second one really drags things down. That's where all the mandatory vehicle sections and "follow a guy through narrow corridors while he talks at you and moves faster than your walk speed but slower than your run speed" come in.

ZPC, bay-bee!

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Oh, can I play?
Sonic 2006.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I can't believe Nightdive is cancelling all their other projects to focus on the newly acquired TekWar source code!

The Thief games would be fine to release but for me that'd be somewhat disappointing since both games work pretty perfectly with TFix with or without high res textures or NewDark.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rocket Pan posted:

Oh, can I play?
Sonic 2006.

No you can't play

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Rocket Pan posted:

Oh, can I play?
Sonic 2006.

I guess you could play Sonic 2006 but there are easier ways to punish yourself for percieved sins.

ToxicFrog posted:

Oh man, Pathways would be sick.

You don't need an old mac to play it, though; it runs fine in SheepShaver, and these days there's a port to Aleph One which is probably the most straightforward way to play it.

I'll have to give the port a try, it's always sounded like a cool as hell game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

my steam unwrapped is mostly a reminder of how much adulthood has derailed my life of pleasant idleness