Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Cessna posted:

One minor pet peeve of mine is the fact that Russian in greatcoats are often modeled with the coat open, unbuttoned:

This was against regulations; if it was on it was to be buttoned up. It's also uncomfortable to unbutton it then put the pack/pack straps back on, the straps don't sit right unless it's buttoned.

Yes indeed, there are a lot of tropes for minis that gets reenactors riled up. "Campaign dress" being one of those afaik, i.e. miniature armies tends to have a variation of distress when it comes to uniforms that just would not fly with NCOs and officers of the period. You would not see units where one guy is walking around in parade uniform and his neighbour wearing a fatigue cap during a major battle, as there would be at least division or brigade-wide orders on what to put on. And distress would be a little bit more even, i.e. most Frenchmen wearing close to rags in Italy in 1706 or december 1812, but not quite as mixed as you often see wargamers (including myself) going for in their armies.

I personally draw the line at putting men on the battlefield wearing the bonnet de police, which is wildly off, but that's more because I think it looks absolutely pants compared to a shako or bicorne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Cessna posted:

I use fender washers; they're cheap and readily available in different sizes.
100% this ^

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Major Isoor posted:

Huh, interesting - especially the tidbit about their packs not fitting well with an open coat! I'm not really into Napoleonics wargaming myself, (gonna save that level of painting for when I eventually retire :v:) but I do enjoy reading all the facts you guys post in here. It's interesting stuff! Even if the prevalent shakos and bicornes are inferior to tricornes, in every way

I promise, as soon as you go napoleonics, you will never go back

The brush touches shako and within a week you're hurling your useless, wrong sourcebook out the window, and seeking an accurate source for what colour you should paint your 6e Cuirassiers

(the standard blue coat, orange collars, blue cuffs, orange flaps)

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Cessna posted:

One minor pet peeve of mine is the fact that Russian in greatcoats are often modeled with the coat open, unbuttoned:

This was against regulations; if it was on it was to be buttoned up. It's also uncomfortable to unbutton it then put the pack/pack straps back on, the straps don't sit right unless it's buttoned.

The Perry twins have actually corrected their mistake with those old models and they now do metal packs on their own website of greatcoat wearing Russians that have their coats done up properly.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Endman posted:

The Perry twins have actually corrected their mistake with those old models and they now do metal packs on their own website of greatcoat wearing Russians that have their coats done up properly.

The step up from Perrys old 1812-1815 French (which was a very early box) and their new 1807-14 box is great and I wish I didn’t have a lot of battalions already when it came out.

But on the other hand, the new box will be great when I eventually set out to form a legere regiment for my army.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Siivola posted:

Oh those are delightful. :swoon: Does he recommend a game to go with them?

I don't think so, I saw them at Salute on a giant retro-themed table but not sure what they were playing - it wasn't evident it was an internal product. I guess at 30mm you're looking at something like A Tale of Drums and Shakos, or Sharp Practice? I know that Henry Hyde believes that 30mm is fine for massed battle games but I'm not convinced.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Southern Heel posted:

I don't think so, I saw them at Salute on a giant retro-themed table but not sure what they were playing - it wasn't evident it was an internal product. I guess at 30mm you're looking at something like A Tale of Drums and Shakos, or Sharp Practice? I know that Henry Hyde believes that 30mm is fine for massed battle games but I'm not convinced.

The equipment seems solidly inter-war tech, wouldn’t something like Bolt Action or CoC be closer to that?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Siivola posted:

The equipment seems solidly inter-war tech, wouldn’t something like Bolt Action or CoC be closer to that?

Ah yes, sorry - I was looking at some photographs of their tricorns - but yes you're right. One Hour Wargames Machine Age, maybe? I think they are pointedly not German/British/French inter-war although clearly inspired and that makes me happy also. If I could find a justification for a couple of dozen I totally would...

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Endman posted:

They're excellent!

If only I could go back in time and tell myself to wait to buy Russians with greatcoats until they come out in a few years.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

lilljonas posted:

The step up from Perrys old 1812-1815 French (which was a very early box) and their new 1807-14 box is great and I wish I didn’t have a lot of battalions already when it came out.

But on the other hand, the new box will be great when I eventually set out to form a legere regiment for my army.

The answer is always to buy more little dudes

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Endman posted:

The answer is always to buy more little dudes

this

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Finally caught up on the thread!

My LGS is starting to push Konflikt ‘47/Bolt Action, so I’ve got a good chance of getting some Winter War/Continuation War gaming in. CoC seems the logical choice for the era, and thankfully, the shop’s resident Soviet player is also into looking at historical sources and trying out new systems that don’t have linked model lines.

Might try to work on modeling analogues to Infantry Regiment 8 from the Continuation War, given that The Unknown Soldier is such a classic bit of literature.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Looking up the Chain of Command 1940 campaign book I've just realised snipers went down to List 2 and the battles have way more support points available - the corebook about tops out at 2d6, but there's stuff in 1940 for 2d6+6. Those are both interesting changes - I always thought snipers were a little bit too expensive and you usually can't take much support.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

spectralent posted:

Looking up the Chain of Command 1940 campaign book I've just realised snipers went down to List 2 and the battles have way more support points available - the corebook about tops out at 2d6, but there's stuff in 1940 for 2d6+6. Those are both interesting changes - I always thought snipers were a little bit too expensive and you usually can't take much support.

I think upping support points, especially for early-mid war, is a good thing. The rulebook was obviously written with late war in mind, where platoons have good anti-tank weapons organically. When I played 1941, it was not unusual for a low points game to see one side having a tank and the other side only having a single credible threat for it. So then the game often practically ends if the other side lose that single unit, as the tank can move around invincibly and just grind down any opposition.

Adding a handful of points means you can afford a second or third threat, but also sprinkle out satchel charges etc to at least have a last ditch chance and keep the tanks careful.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah - I honestly think that's an issue with the game being "set" in late war - especially because Germans are the universal enemy, and the Panzerfaust is actually extremely lethal against almost everything. It leads to this thing where tanks feel kind of trivial.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

spectralent posted:

Yeah - I honestly think that's an issue with the game being "set" in late war - especially because Germans are the universal enemy, and the Panzerfaust is actually extremely lethal against almost everything. It leads to this thing where tanks feel kind of trivial.

Indeed, it's jarring compared to 1940-41, where a single medium tank stands a decent chance to defeat a platoon singlehandedly if they don't bring another tank or a good AT gun. You need to be lucky to dent one of the better 40-41 tanks with a Pak36.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

lilljonas posted:

Good thing I’m such a nerd I wrote a blog post on french greatcoats:

https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/napoleonics-blog/painting-french-greatcoats

But yeah it was very common but got regulated about 1807(?ish), I don’t have the exact year at the top of my head.

On campaign, you’d wear your shako cover most of the time afaik, snd then take it off for major battles. The French were big on looking slick at the battlefield. You’d keep it on if it was very wet, dusty etc.

There are also the so called ”marie-louises”, 200 000+ hastily drafted recruits in late 1813, who were depicted as often wearing just greatcoats (not even boots!) as there were not enough time/materials to outfit them with proper uniforms. Shako covers could likewise cover up poorly made or damaged shakos. Infamously, a lot of the french uniforms in the Sharpe tv series look amazingly bad, and partly because of this - they stuffed burlap sacks with hay as makeshift covered shakos to save money!

Long story short - there are plenty of historical excuses to use shako covers and greatcoats if you like the look (and the time you save painting). There are also plenty of historical reasons NOT to use them if you don’t like them. If you are a super stickler to details, the men would typically be either all wearing them or all not wearing them for a battle. I myself have some units all in greatcoats, some all without, and some mixed. I tell you this - there is no way that even comes close to getting 28mm units on the table as quickly as getting a few boxes of minis in greatcoats.

oh that's your site, cool, i've checked some coc stuff there

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

in my experience the most entertaining coc fights have been infantry vs infantry

if tanks are involved usually the side who wins the tank fight wins the rest of the combat too

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
You can do more asymmetric stuff with CoC, but I think it works better in campaign mode. I wrote an entire Pint-Sized Campaign for CoC (Totensonntag, in the 2019 Lard Annual) that features an armored force against an infantry force. The campaign is highly asymmetric, but the balance is derived from the fact that the armored force has bigger fish to fry than just rolling around blasting infantry. In that campaign pretty much any enemy AT capability represents "A Problem (TM)" for the tanks. I've written up a play-though on Goonhammer, you can read the first article in the series here:
https://www.goonhammer.com/goonhammer-historicals-playing-a-chain-of-command-pint-sized-campaign-part-1-intro-to-totensonntag/

The campaign is still ongoing. I have Game 6 in the books, hope to finish the write-up for that in the next few weeks.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Are there any good resources for comparing different countries' styles of armor in the 16th century? I'm doing some Italian Wars stuff, and it looks like I can basically use the same models for either French Gendarmes or German reiters. Seems like France and Germany used a lot of the same armor smiths, but maybe Spanish and Italian armor looked different?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Reiters should be less fancy imo, and never have barding. I wouldn't use the two interchangeably. Your Italians should have older style armour, Milanesse looks great for this, plus it is what Don Quixote is usually depicted wearing, so that really sells the outdated look. The Condottieri being quite obsolete by the Italian Wars.

I'm by no means an expert, but I love the period and used to have a Spanish and French army. I don't have good resources, mostly I just looked at art from the period. This is the rough set of rules I developed, it could be very wrong, but is very much in line with popular depictions of the period.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

more henry turner ecw. this time i made what is supposed to be an actual historical unit. these guys are arthur haselrigs london lobsters. love the way the blacked out armour looks combined with the dark warhorses. here they are too alongside some of my first prints, some parliamentrian horse

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Wow, those look great. I really like your color choices.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Very, very nice. Are those also sliced and resized?

I still think that Pendraken wins out in terms of detail and overall look in 10mm, but you can't argue with the convenience of Henry's strips and the ability to scale up and down.

I have one of my 7YW armies done, but I just can't muster up the energy to do the other - I haven't got any armies down on the table in a while, but those Copplestone 30mm figures have really piqued my interest:

They look like things that would be perfect to 3D print with such simple designs, but maybe there is something to be said for lead - overall I've gone so hard into 10mm over the last couple of years that I'm reluctant to swap scales on a whim, though.

EDIT:

Is there a de-facto fun and simple WW1/inter-war/early WW2 game that would work well with multi-based 10mm scale figures?

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 19, 2023

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Any 2024 releases people are excited for? Trying to tee up some stuff and get abreast of whats on the horizon.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Cassa posted:

Any 2024 releases people are excited for? Trying to tee up some stuff and get abreast of whats on the horizon.

Midgard, Cold War Chain of Command, whatever Mustafa is working on, and other WW2 Chain of Command supplements for other theatres all pop up on my mind.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
The new WW2 skirmish thing from Studio Tomahawk they keep teasing on Facebook.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

3 Action Economist posted:

The new WW2 skirmish thing from Studio Tomahawk they keep teasing on Facebook.

Personally I'm excited for their 2022 Saga updates

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Looking forward to the next installment of Never Mind the Bill hooks, although I think it's going to be fantasy

Also the Dark Ages version of Clash of Spears/Clash of Katanas

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Got bored and tried knocking together a vehicle status dice for CoC or BA. Any inputs on what I covered or might be missing? Trying to keep it six-sided.

https://www.printables.com/model/687735-coc-vehicle-status-die

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Painted up a Henry Tudor for my Wars of the Roses project. Is he basically wearing Henry VIII's armor? Yes but who cares knights are cool.

Also lol I'm bad at freehanding flags but it looks fine enough from 3 feet away

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Count Thrashula posted:

Painted up a Henry Tudor for my Wars of the Roses project. Is he basically wearing Henry VIII's armor? Yes but who cares knights are cool.

it looks drat fine

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ChubbyChecker posted:

it looks drat fine

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Springfield Fatts posted:

Got bored and tried knocking together a vehicle status dice for CoC or BA. Any inputs on what I covered or might be missing? Trying to keep it six-sided.

https://www.printables.com/model/687735-coc-vehicle-status-die

Driver killed, loader killed, commander killed, gunner killed, immobilized, engine destroyed?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Count Thrashula posted:

This is the way.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Don't ask why, but:
From gameplay (not army building) perspective, which edition of Flames of War is the best and what downsides does it have?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Yorkist commander number 2 for NMTB. Surpring nobody, painting minis that are mostly metal is pretty quick!

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Ilor posted:

Driver killed, loader killed, commander killed, gunner killed, immobilized, engine destroyed?

Got these, except gunner/ loader/ out of ammo are all covered by the same icon. Wanted to differentiate between those and gunsight damage.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

JcDent posted:

Don't ask why, but:
From gameplay (not army building) perspective, which edition of Flames of War is the best and what downsides does it have?

From the POV of gaming? 4th, unpopular as that is to say. The big issues are in the list-building (especially the late-comer card system that made it all worse) and in the legacy stuff it brought over (an IGOUGO system, the buck wild ground scale, an obsession with making the USSR a "horde army" that gives them weird unique rules that barely work). From a gameplay perspective it's pretty cleaned up and plays smoothly with less weird gotcha poo poo from how all the special rules interact.