Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

edogawa rando posted:

But it's made from fats extracted from the same cocoa bean.

Yes but at then I'd have to consider fish oil as fish and I'm not about to live in such a world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

I'll eat some pretty dark chocolate but I'm not a big fan after 70% or so. Does anyone actually eat just like, raw cooking chocolate?
I've got some 80% in front of me right now I've been snacking on. (From Theo Chocolate)

I'm not a fan of the 100% bars usually but if you get really high quality stuff some of the 90% bars can have beautiful, complex flavors.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Grey Cat posted:

Yes but at then I'd have to consider fish oil as fish and I'm not about to live in such a world.

It is fish from a vegetarian standpoint though?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I'm sure there's an equally rediculous example if people really want to find it.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Halloween Jack posted:

AITAH for solving my ex-girlfriend's problem without her consent? We broke up over this

Whilst I personally would claim OP is Not The Arsehole. (He politely and nicely asked for a reasonable thing, and got a polite reasonable response.)

I don't want to condemn the girlfriend either.

I am aware that I am making some pretty big inferences here but all of them are very possible.

The girlfriend is skittish around dogs at the best of times. So maybe there is some previous trauma there. i.e. she was bitten by a big angry dog when she was little.
She seems to be scared of the dogs owner, and also fixated on the potential conflict/consequences. So again, maybe there are traumatic past stories of abusive large tatted up men, and nasty consequences of looking at them funny in the past.
Also the whole "Don't help me /get involved without my consent." and "You are just making it difficult for me." stuff, whilst it sounds absurd the way OP tells it. It could be the result of previous escalating drama caused by well meaning outsiders.

But if all went down the way OP described, she does sound like she fully over reacted and has issues that he is better being well away from now.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

^^^ Yeah, there may be hidden stuff in her past, but at face value OP should just move on and consider a bullet dodged.

edogawa rando posted:

Anyone that puts that cares this much about "family tradition," which is little more than a big pile of ephemeral wank, isn't worth the time.

Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

BrigadierSensible posted:

I am aware that I am making some pretty big inferences here but all of them are very possible.

The girlfriend is skittish around dogs at the best of times. So maybe there is some previous trauma there. i.e. she was bitten by a big angry dog when she was little.
She seems to be scared of the dogs owner, and also fixated on the potential conflict/consequences. So again, maybe there are traumatic past stories of abusive large tatted up men, and nasty consequences of looking at them funny in the past.
Also the whole "Don't help me /get involved without my consent." and "You are just making it difficult for me." stuff, whilst it sounds absurd the way OP tells it. It could be the result of previous escalating drama caused by well meaning outsiders.

Yes, but you could apply that logic to literally everything posted ITT.

Like maybe the cousin's SIL reacted so strongly to the white chocolate cake due to secret past traumas. Like maybe the last dessert she ever served her late mother was a white chocolate cake, and then the mother died tragically in a car accident on her way home.

You gotta take these things at face value (within reason of course), because otherwise no one would be the rear end in a top hat ever, it'd just be an unending list of past traumas.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

Whilst I personally would claim OP is Not The Arsehole. (He politely and nicely asked for a reasonable thing, and got a polite reasonable response.)

I don't want to condemn the girlfriend either.

But if all went down the way OP described, she does sound like she fully over reacted and has issues that he is better being well away from now.

I mean, yeah, it's easy to see that she has problems. Boyfriend solved, apparently amicably, something that was an issue for her. The way she went off though, does make it very clear that she's got a multitude of issues and problems to overcome. It's easy to say "ah yes but" and defend her, but at the end of the day, we're not the ones who have her as part of our lives.

My general rule for these sorts of stories in which the other party loving goes off like that, probably due to mental illness, is "gently caress man, do you want that in your life?" And honestly, I can categorically say "nah, hell no."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
While there's definitely a lot of seemingly irrational behaviour that's often because of pretty specific and sad hang-ups and trauma, there's also some people who are drama addicts who imagine or engineer hysterical conflict in every aspect of their lives.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
White people even need their own lovely chocolate.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I'm not a professional, but this

quote:

what if he was a secret serial killer and by telling him to keep his dog indoors I made HER his next victim?????

does make me wonder.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
That's just silly. She's statistically much, much, much more likely to be murdered by the OP than some stranger across the hall.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I can only eat white chocolate; milk and dark sets off my Crohn's. So I'd be theoretically delighted except I wouldn't have gone to a chocolate party in the first place.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I may have had a very different idea as to what a chocolate party is.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Evil Willow posted:

AITA? My siblings and I want to keep our Christmas tradition, but our sister doesn’t want to comply.

I admit that when my sister told me that she was going to stay with her girlfriend’s family instead of us I said some things that I shouldn’t have said

oh word??

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

edogawa rando posted:

I'm not a professional, but this

does make me wonder.

What if she has trauma from that time she got serial killed?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

What if she's trapped in a time loop and the OP's efforts always end in a horrible Final Destination style death?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
White Chocolate is to chocolate what two buttered slices of bread put together are to a sandwich. You can argue that it has enough ingredients to technically count as a sandwich but ultimately we all know it's not.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

ReelBigLizard posted:

White Chocolate is to chocolate what two buttered slices of bread put together are to a sandwich. You can argue that it has enough ingredients to technically count as a sandwich but ultimately we all know it's not.

Butter sandwiches rule :btroll:

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Apparently no fat milk isn't actually milk then?

Also amusingly by US standards white chocolate needs to have a higher percentage derived from the extract of cacao beans than milk chocolate does.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Inceltown posted:

Butter sandwiches rule :btroll:

Butter sandwiches are awesome.

Mayo sandwiches are horrible.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Stoner Sloth posted:

Correct.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

ApplesandOranges posted:

AITA for bringing white chocolate cake when asked to bring chocolate dessert

There are a few people in the comments with the “well, actually, white chocolate isn’t REALLY chocolate”.

Another chapter in the soap opera “Tasty is the Hand Which Feeds”

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Stoner Sloth posted:

Also amusingly by US standards white chocolate needs to have a higher percentage derived from the extract of cacao beans than milk chocolate does.

Milk is an oil in water emulsion, so yes

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Evil Willow posted:

AITA? My siblings and I want to keep our Christmas tradition, but our sister doesn’t want to comply.

"The only good tradition is OUR tradition. gently caress yours!"

How much you wanna bet their precious tradition is just the blandest, most white bread poo poo imaginable? Like "then we open our presents the morning after!"

It's cool if you're into that, no problem, but maybe don't be a dick to people who're not or want to do something different during the holidays.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for not wanting to share my birthday with my dead twin anymore?

quote:

16 f here, soon to be 17 in 3 days. I was a twin. My brother died hour's after birth. He was 5 minutes older then me. I was told my mother went into deep depression, but with help got better over time. I've watched videos of my birthdays from 1-6 year old, and me sharing my birthday with my brother has started at my 1rst birthday. There's always that 5 minutes of remembrance in honor of him, and instead of having one candle on my cake there will be an extra or extras for him. For example, if I was 1 year, there will be 1 for him or if I was 2, then they would add another 2 and so on.

As a kid, I didn't really understand or minded, because I got to blow out extra candles. When I was 8, I did question it and they told me it was in remembrance for my brother since we share the same birthday. This carried on until my 16th, that I didn't get to celebrate, because I ended up in hostpital. My grandpa showed up at the hostpital while I was recovering with a gift and wished me and only me a happy birthday. After he left, I realized, I loved that he only acknowledged me. I realized, I didn't want to keep sharing my birthday with my brother. But then I felt guilty. I did try and speak to my parents about me just me celebrating my birthday this year. But I was brushed off.

Now we come to what happened 4 days ago and my grandpa, who is the official cake maker in my family, asked what type of cake did I want? I told him and added firmly with only 17 candles please. My parent's were in the next room and immediately they came in demanding to know what I was doing? That I should know that the other 17 candles were for my brother and I ended up crying and told them, that he's not even here and I am. I can't remember everything that was said but there was alot shouting with me and my parent's and grandpa and me getting told that I'm selfish and I need to stop being self-centered. Grandpa left with me. I've at his house since the big fight. I've been crying alot and Grandpa been here for me, but I feel so guilty and to need to ask AITA?

Debatable via spoilers there.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
"Chocolate Party" sounds like a euphemism for something I'd rather not be a part of

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

the holy poopacy posted:

"Chocolate Party" sounds like a euphemism for something I'd rather not be a part of

is it related to Lemon Party? because that's actually kinda quaint these days.

AITA for asking my daughters friend to leave my house

quote:

This happened last week but I still feel very weird about it. I (40m) have a 16 yo daughter Lucy who has a friend Britt (16f). Britt has been friends with Lucy for years and has been to our house countless times. But recently she has been starting to act out in different ways. She used to be such a nice girl but these days she can be quite sarcastic and mean.

We recently got a new carpet in our house and my wife made a rule that no one can wear shoes in the house. Britt came over last week and as she was coming in I asked her to take off her shoes. She answered saying “why do you have a foot fetish or something” which I just thought was a really weird and inappropriate response (and also I don’t… but even if I did what would that have to do with anything). I said no it’s just that we get this new carpet and we don’t want it to get dirty. I thought I heard her say your dad is so weird or something as they were going up the stairs.

Later when they came down for some food Britt was wearing some bright pink socks that I assume were Lucy’s as she wasn’t wearing any socks when she went upstairs. They caught my eye and she saw me glance down at them and she said to Lucy “see I knew I should cover them up” which to be fair Lucy replied something like “oh poo poo up Britt stop being dramatic”. Anyway I was feeling uncomfortable so I just said “Britt please can you go home now” she just laughed and said I’m going soon anyway and I said no I want you to leave now please. She got her stuff and left.

After that Lucy was mad with me. She said that Britt was only joking and I completely over reacted. My wife also said that she didn’t agree with the way I handled it. It all just felt really off to me though. I don’t know if I should just laugh it off or not.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

the holy poopacy posted:

Where's your sense of adventure?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

:thunk:

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Cowslips Warren posted:

Eh, she's not banned from their house or prevented from meeting the daughter or anything, so whatever really. The girl was acting like a dick, and someone has to tell her at some point. Your friends' parents are not your friends, they're casual acquaintances at best. You owe them basic decency and respect, and that includes not making remarks of a sexual nature.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
AITA for giving my son's stepdad a medical bill in a Xmas card?

quote:

Last month, I got a call from my ex that my 8yo son Ben was in the ER for a broken leg. I drove to the hospital and found out Ben was in surgery. His stepdad, Zack, said they were wrestling and he slipped on a plastic bag and landed on Ben's leg.

The hospital bill wasn't in my mind until they asked for my insurance. I got the final bill and it was $5000. $3,000 of it was my deductible which I didn't meet. I called my ex and said let's split the cost. She said no, I'm responsible for Ben's health-care costs. I said your husband broke his leg. She said she wasn't going to discuss it.

So I called Zach and said it was his fault Ben broke his leg. He felt awful about it and he's the one helping him dress, in the bath, carrying him long distances, etc. when Ben is there. I said that's all fine but you should help pay the bill. You have the money and you were reckless. You were wrestling in the dark and didn't make sure the area was clear. He said he'd talk to my ex and that "kids break bones all the time." I said I never broke a bone in my life.

Two weeks passed and I know he is consciously avoiding me so I put my son's hospital bill in an Xmas card and sent it with my son when he went to his mom's. My ex and Zach were pissed and told me that I should pay for the bill. I said would you pay your own hospital bill if someone ran you over and half the money but wanted to send thoughts and prayers instead?

seems like the kind of thing a lawyer or family judge might be interested in?

AITA for teaching my kids not to take games seriously unless we are playing for money. But to be bloodthirsty if money is involved.

quote:

I have three kids 18, 15, and 11. I always have hated how seriously some people take games and sports. When I started teaching all of my kids how to play games like Monopoly or Jenga or whatever or even sports like baseball and rugby, I taught them that unless money is involved all games should be fun for everyone playing.

During family visits they continually drive their relatives nuts because they don't get upset when they are losing. They also don't gloat when they are winning. They just try to have fun and enjoy the time visiting.

My brother finally snapped at them over Thanksgiving because they were playing Mario Kart and letting everyone take turns by losing by not driving their best. I told him to relax and that the kids just wanted to have fun and visit with their cousins and such.

He said that I was raising a generation of weak, woke, snowflakes. I told him that my kids could destroy him at any game he chose of he bet them. He chose not to believe me.

My daughter is my oldest. She spanked him at Mario Kart. My middle kid carried on a conversation with two of his little cousins while doing multiple rounds of Smash Bros. My youngest let his uncle pick his own character and let him pick for him as well. He did lose one round to Sub-Zero, a character in Mortal Kombat that my brother has been playing as since 1992. Literally three times as long as my youngest has been alive. One round out of five fights.

My brother says that I am an rear end in a top hat for teaching my kids to hustle people. I said that it isn't exactly a hustle if I literally say out loud that if there is money on the table my kids will go for the throat. I made him pay up on the bets. My kids went back to goofing off.

My dad laughed at the situation but my mom said I was mean to force him to pay off a debt that he as AN ADULT had entered into willingly.

I don't think I'm wrong. I have seen too many kids pitch fits if they are losing a game. And my brother.

AITAH for wanting the nicest bedroom at the family reunion?

quote:

My husbands family is extraordinarily difficult and has made their reunion really difficult for my MIL. We will be there over Christmas. There are lots of nuclear children of my MIL, spouses of the children, and grandchildren. She lays out five figures for these week long events at no cost to any member of her family. Lodging, food, activities, travel, absolutely everything is covered. In return she asked for some of her children to plan some meals/activities. After about a week with no responses, my MIL privately reached out to my husband to ask if we could plan some activities and meals because I am a planner by nature. I leaned in and proposed daily activities that ranged from “culture day” at the museum of biblical art and then science and technology museum to Christmas cookie baking competitions, and gingerbread house decorating. Enough to have at least one optional activity every day for the week. I got shut down by every other family group, my husbands siblings and their spouses. My SIL #1 is difficult to no end about her 4yo child. No added sugar or salt for her child, her child cannot be in a room with a television that’s on, absolutely no movies/tv shows media, you can’t touch or hug her kid, no photos of her kid, no alcohol around her kid, and her kid has been told that Santa isn’t real because lying is wrong. Said SIL also won’t be bringing Christmas presents for anyone.

In spirit of none of my MILs children participating except for me and my husband, my MIL wants to throw a baby shower for SIL #2 who is super pregnant. BIL #2 isn’t interested in helping, neither is fam group #1, so I have offered to help my MIL plan it. I have planned the entire theme, day, food, and bought all the decorations and I will be setting them up. I am happy to help my MIL, but god it is so exhausting to see her offer her love and money to her family and everyone ignore her except for me and my husband.

I think the above is important context.

My AITAH is about lodging. There are four bedrooms available, three with a king bed, one with a twin/queen bunk bed. Two king bed rooms have a private bathroom, the other two bedrooms share. My husband and I have no children and we are not pregnant. SIL #1 is the one listed above and has one child. SIL #2 is super pregnant and is notorious for sleeping all day and not interacting at family events. Family group #1 won’t let their child out of their sight and has such extreme rules for her that I have no interest in interacting with them or catering to any more of their insanity. Family group #2 endlessly takes from my MIL and from everyone around them. At past family events, they have gone out of their way to get the “best” room.

I’m really sick of it. I also want the best room, I put in more effort than every other member of the family combined except for my MIL, and I think it’s so stupid that I have to cater to rude, entitled people who have made this trip planning a nightmare for everyone else. SIL #1 is so difficult we had to have a phone call with her about us having coffee and alcohol in the house to make sure she would still come. SIL #2 is super pregnant, which sucks, but she is the most entitled person I’ve ever met.

I’m sick of it and my husband says I’m TA. He says the pregnant woman (SIL #2) should get the best room, and family group #1 should get whatever they want because they’re the most difficult of the group. My MIL is emphatically against picking first, even though I think she should. I told her months ago that I think she should have the best room because she is financing this event, she declined.

This....really sounds like literal hell on earth.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cowslips Warren posted:

It's not appropriate for a kid to joke about you having a fetish related to them, absolutely he was in the right to tell her to leave, she was being very disrespectful

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Cloacamazing! posted:

Milk is an oil in water emulsion, so yes

if this is true it means that black rhinos aren't mammals since they produce milk with less fat than what's defined as no fat milk

therefore white chocolate is chocolate :drugnerd:

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA for wearing white nail polish?

quote:

Idk if this is a big deal.

I am invited to the wedding of an old friend. We are currently at the location. The wedding is tomorrow.

Okay so. I have acrylics. They are white currently. Not like "super white" it is like an ombré with a "pearl" effect. I did not do them for the wedding. I do them every month because I like it and it prevents myself to scratch the poo poo out of my body.

My fiancé and I arrived at the hotel yesterday and we went to a group dinner. It is not a rehearsal dinner, that is not a thing here.

We say "Hi" to the couple, give hugs etc etc.

The bride grabs my hands, looks at my nails, and says "Wow!". Then she leaves to say Hi to our other friends.

It brings us to now. Like literally an hour ago. I get a text from the bride saying this:

"Hey there! Just a quick request: the dress code specifically avoids white attire. Please take off the white nail polish. Thanks "

Now I can not just take it off and there is not a nail studio in this resort.

But I feel bad that I did not even know that I was doing something wrong.

My fiance feels like I did nothing wrong, but the bride seems really upset at me.

so AITA?

Edit: I have found a black polish. My nails look hideous lol. My Fiancé called them bubonic plague nails. I want to scratch my eyes out!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

The Maroon Hawk posted:

When people say being gay is a choice I always ask why anybody would choose to be gay in a world where people like them exist, that gets some fun reactions

Firstly, I choose to be gay because girls pretty. Secondly, who in their right mind would choose to be straight when you could be living that hedonistic homophile lifestyle?

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Dr. Stab posted:

Firstly, I choose to be gay because girls pretty. Secondly, who in their right mind would choose to be straight when you could be living that hedonistic homophile lifestyle?

As a cis-het man, I completely agree. Girls are awesome. Men are gross. I don't understand how most women can put up with men.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

A thread favorite, but seen through an infuriating funhouse mirror

Wife(28f) left me(28m) when I asked for DNA test. She wants to reconcile, but I have kinda moved on. Not sure how to proceed

quote:

My wife was pregnant when I asked for DNA test. I have realized now that I should have broached the conversation before getting her pregnant. She just would not see it from my perspective however much I tried. I also could have talked about it in more tactful way. But its all in the past. We separated around one month before our son was born.

I went to court for DNA test and establishment of paternity. He is mine. I got temporary order for visitation pretty much straight away, and will get overnight custody after few months(she is still breastfeeding). We are in process of divorce and its pretty straightforward. We dont have any big assets to split. But court is talking its sweet time.

While I was in her house to meet my son, she told me that she is willing to give me another chance and she has booked couples counseling for us. She caught me by surprise and I didnt reply. She got pissed off and I ignored her. Then she started crying and I realize that I could not ignore her anymore. I asked her why now, its been 7 months since we have separated and she said she likes how I am with our son and she made a rash decision. I told her I will have to think about it.

After she kicked me out and refused to listen to me I made peace with the marriage ending and I have been rebuilding my life for past 7 months and I kinda like where I am heading. I have moved on months ago to a somewhat of a better life.

First few months of my separation were very dark and isolated times but I reached out to my friend and he told me to double down on positive and ignore the negative till it atrophies. He is a wise mo-fo. So I immersed myself in my career and gym instead of wallowing in self-pity. I always put my best foot forward when I was with my son and it all paid off. I am in best shape of my life, I just landed a new job about 2 weeks ago and reduced my work hours by 10 percent for same pay.

Should I go back to my wife or should I just keep moving ahead with my life. I really cant decide. I am not technically the man I was a year ago, I have different outlook of life, I generally dont tolerate negativity around me anymore, I used to be very accommodating, especially to my wife. I have raised standard for people around me, I have cut off half of my friends or anyone who is a net-negative and I try to be a net-positive to others too. So if she wants old me back she will be disappointed.

Although seeing my son everyday will be a blessing but I am not gonna bend over backwards for my wife. I dont even know whether my wife can handle the new me especially when she is dealing with childcare on top.

TL;DR!- Wife left me after I asked for DNA test, I have moved on and now she wants to reconcile BUT I am a different person now. Unsure how to proceed

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITAH for wanting the nicest bedroom at the family reunion?

This....really sounds like literal hell on earth.

This sounds like I'd find a way to spend time with my family instead of the nightmare inlaws even if I had to use a shovel and a ouija board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Bramble posted:

A thread favorite, but seen through an infuriating funhouse mirror

Wife(28f) left me(28m) when I asked for DNA test. She wants to reconcile, but I have kinda moved on. Not sure how to proceed

Is this paternity test poo poo something they are coming up with on their own or is some popular social media rear end in a top hat convincing men they need to do this?