Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

kzin602 posted:

Conservatives have an interest in destroying the federal government as anything other than a mechanism to transfer public funds to corporations and the wealthy. The conservatives on the court will place that goal above preserving institutions.

Their personal power is the institution of the court. Again yeah Thomas and Alito would. But I don’t see the other conservatives undermining their own personal power. Robert’s has been especially interested in not doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Keisari posted:

But all of this is purely academic, of course. As I am certain the Supreme Court will overturn this as even the Colorado state court had only a 4-3 vote on this.

It’s worthy to note the 3 dissenters bailed on the initial jurisdictional questions of whether or not Colorado could adjudicate the federal Constitution so it’s not quite as split on the substance of the case as we might think.

quote:

The court’s extensive ruling ultimately boiled down to four questions:

Could Colorado resolve a Section Three disqualification claim?
Did Colorado authorize a Section Three disqualification claim?
Is the president covered by Section Three?
Is Trump disqualified under Section Three?
Only if all four of those questions are answered in the affirmative would the challenge to Trump being on the ballot succeed.

The majority — Justices Monica Márquez, William Hood III, Richard Gabriel, and Melissa Hart — on Tuesday held that the answers are yes, yes, yes, and yes.

The dissenting justices differed slightly on their reasons for rejecting the challenge, with one — Justice Carlos Samour — answering no to the first question and needing to go no further and the other two — Chief Justice Brian Boatright and Justice Maria Berkenkotter — answering no to the second question.

That said the SCOTUS Republican majority rules however the hell they want and will probably make the decision with the least amount of change so I’m guessing they decide not to hear the appeal at all to try to avoid any more media attention on them.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Combed Thunderclap posted:

That said the SCOTUS Republican majority rules however the hell they want and will probably make the decision with the least amount of change so I’m guessing they decide not to hear the appeal at all to try to avoid any more media attention on them.

If they refuse to hear it, the ruling stands and Trump loses. They might do this, but the right would freak the gently caress out.

GlobalMegaCorp
Jan 8, 2004

It’s amazing we’re all still dealing with this poo poo 3 years later because Mitch got cold feet on impeaching Trump because he thought the situation had resolved itself and he was worried about taking a stand on something that wasn’t necessary any more.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

KillHour posted:

If they refuse to hear it, the ruling stands and Trump loses. They might do this, but the right would freak the gently caress out.

There are any number of ways they could refuse to hear it while staying the ruling. SCOTUS can do what they want

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
If the Supreme Court decides not to overturn the decision, I would have to think the most concerned person in the world is Lauren Boebert.

She barely escaped defeat last time, and while I am sure Republicans in Colorado would be pissed if Trump gets struck, I doubt they'd be pissed in the sort of way that leads them to vote on a ballot Trump isn't on and was specifically excluded from.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GlobalMegaCorp posted:

It’s amazing we’re all still dealing with this poo poo 3 years later because Mitch got cold feet on impeaching Trump because he thought the situation had resolved itself and he was worried about taking a stand on something that wasn’t necessary any more.

The Republicans are cowards and Mitch McConnell is the biggest coward of them all

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Fart Amplifier posted:

There are any number of ways they could refuse to hear it while staying the ruling. SCOTUS can do what they want

Could you give an example of a way that they can overturn the ruling without hearing the case?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

KillHour posted:

Could you give an example of a way that they can overturn the ruling without hearing the case?

Unsigned ruling on the shadow docket

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

KillHour posted:

Punt on a technical ruling is a possibility. "The state of Colorado can't interpret the 14th Amendment, only a federal court can. Reversed."

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

GlobalMegaCorp posted:

There’s a reason he has a 6% approval rating right now

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
once invested, the office and the man become one, with and by divine provedence, all executive authority derives from them, is of then, and henceforth they are the executive, the embodiment or spirit of the executive and the individual.

President in three persons.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

KillHour posted:

Can’t they stay it until it is heard and schedule it after it would matter?

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
lol that the way the Justices rule might come down to this

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
The SC is well aware that if CO gets away with taking Trump off the ballot then there will be a cascade effect of states taking whichever candidate they dislike off their ballots and we will have a full blown constitutional crisis and disintegration of the country. For this reason I expect the SC to strike down CO. They will make up whatever argument they need to reach that goal.

And yes I know Biden hasn't been involved in any insurrection that could lead to him being 14thed in any state but red states will just make up whatever they need to make up to do it. Probably some border poo poo or something.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Charliegrs posted:

The SC is well aware that if CO gets away with taking Trump off the ballot then there will be a cascade effect of states taking whichever candidate they dislike off their ballots and we will have a full blown constitutional crisis and disintegration of the country. For this reason I expect the SC to strike down CO. They will make up whatever argument they need to reach that goal.

And yes I know Biden hasn't been involved in any insurrection that could lead to him being 14thed in any state but red states will just make up whatever they need to make up to do it. Probably some border poo poo or something.

I'm sorry, but the 'well, if we do the right thing then people might misuse it' line is bullshit. We should not have a court system afraid to make ruling because it could be misused by bad actors.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Cimber posted:

I'm sorry, but the 'well, if we do the right thing then people might misuse it' line is bullshit. We should not have a court system afraid to make ruling because it could be misused by bad actors.

I don’t think Charliegrs was saying that this is good and how it should work, just that this is probably what SCOTUS will end up doing because it and many of our governmental systems are currently broken.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Islamic Shock posted:

Wow. So if the courts decide that's what it comes down to they pretty much are gonna be saying "you can't touch this President and this very specifically only this President for this reason".

You may remember Bush v. Gore? They explicitly said that, except for vote-counting instead of disqualification.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I don’t think Charliegrs was saying that this is good and how it should work, just that this is probably what SCOTUS will end up doing because it and many of our governmental systems are currently broken.

Oh, I wasn't attacking Charliegrs, I was saying that if the USSC uses that as a way out that its a bullshit line. But they give no fucks so they probably would.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Charliegrs posted:

I know there's that murphy's law style rule that describes "conservatives do something and then the democratic party takes the blame for "letting" it happen so everything gets worse" or whatever

which rule is it that the courts always tryna stop people from using a law properly today because conservatives will then use the law improperly tomorrow

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Charliegrs posted:

Or, you know, each case could be decided on its own merits. The logical conclusion of your argument is that no law should constrain a would-be dictator, which is just another way of saying, "I hope our tyrant is benevolent."

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
The only way to avoid mass casualties is to keep the fascists scattered and unsure of when to strike, by not doing anything that bothers them too much, until they are all too old to fight. Obviously

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Cimber posted:

I'm not in disagreement with you. But I'm talking about the SC and like I said they will probably just do whatever they want. Just like they did with Roe Vs Wade.

Edit: I'm not the most articulate person out there. I wasn't saying I WANT the SC to come to a judgement based on total bullshit. I'm saying that I think that's what they will do. There's a big difference there.

Charliegrs fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 21, 2023

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Judge says Rudy Giuliani must pay $148 million judgment immediately

quote:

Rudy Giuliani must immediately pay the $148 million he owes two Georgia women he falsely accused of helping steal the 2020 election, a federal judge ruled Wednesday in a scathing order accusing the former Trump attorney of ongoing dishonesty.

Judge Beryl A. Howell wrote that there is a strong danger Giuliani is likely to hide his assets from plaintiffs Ruby Freeman and Wandrea ArShaye “Shaye” Moss and is unlikely to succeed in having last week’s the jury verdict overturned or cut down on appeal.

Attorneys for the two women still have to enforce the judgment against Giuliani, which may involve further court proceedings. But they do not have to wait the standard 30 days to begin trying to seize his assets.

“Giuliani has never denied that he has taken steps to hide his assets from judgment creditors, and has offered no affirmative pledge that he will take no steps to do so,” Howell wrote.

Giuliani has repeatedly said he does not have the funds to pay a high penalty for his defamatory comments. At trial, his lawyer said the $43 million sought by the plaintiffs was “the civil equivalent of the death penalty” and “would be the end of Mr. Giuliani.” The verdict was more than three times as much.

As Howell noted, it is unclear how much money Giuliani has because he ignored court orders that would have offered insight into his finances. But she said he has failed to “contend, let alone demonstrate with documentary or other proof” that he can’t pay at least some chunk of the hefty penalty. He owns property in New York and Florida and has multiple bank accounts, she pointed out. And, she added, his claims of penury “are difficult to square with the fact that Giuliani affords a spokesperson, who accompanied him daily to trial.”

Howell sanctioned Giuliani for his failure to turn over information by requiring him to pay some of the plaintiffs’ legal fees. She reminded him in Wednesday’s ruling that he “has simply ignored” those orders, “without ... making any excuse.”
The judge also ruled before trial that Giuliani had defamed the two women, because he chose not to contest their claims rather than give them information they were entitled to have about why he targeted them and whether he profited from doing so. He faces criminal prosecution in Georgia for his role in Trump’s effort to subvert the state’s election results, and anything he revealed in the D.C. case could be used against him there.

Attorneys for the former New York mayor wrote in a filing Tuesday that “if Giuliani had intentions of absconding with or fraudulently transferring assets, he has ample time to do it.” Howell dismissed that reassurance as “cheekily” made and “not persuasive.”

She also brushed aside Giuliani’s suggestion that he should have time to appeal the verdict against him. Considering his “past and continuing—including up to and during trial — defamation of” the two women, Howell wrote, the judgment was “conservative.”

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Charliegrs posted:

I'm not in disagreement with you. But I'm talking about the SC and like I said they will probably just do whatever they want. Just like they did with Roe Vs Wade.

Edit: I'm not the most articulate person out there. I wasn't saying I WANT the SC to come to a judgement based on total bullshit. I'm saying that I think that's what they will do. There's a big difference there.

I don't disagree. The ability of this court to do the absolute wrong thing that will resonate for decades to come and not give two fucks is astounding.

Though I am wondering if they are going to punt on this issue because saying he did insurrection things and shouldn't be on the ballot is basically declaring him guilty of the Washington DC criminal case against him.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Haha, the judge was obviously so sick of poo poo. Good for her tearing him a new one.

Hopefully the two ladies in the case do manage to get a good chunk of change. Rudy certainly doesn't have $148 million, but he might still have quite a bit hidden away.

Independence
Jul 12, 2006

The Wriggler

Cimber posted:

I don't disagree. The ability of this court to do the absolute wrong thing that will resonate for decades to come and not give two fucks is astounding.

Though I am wondering if they are going to punt on this issue because saying he did insurrection things and shouldn't be on the ballot is basically declaring him guilty of the Washington DC criminal case against him.

He offered to pardon people convicted of seditious conspiracy, is that giving aid and comfort to an insurrection?

Honestly, I don't know. We're looking for heroes and finding nothing of the sort from our institutions and officials. Just loving stacks of mewling sycophants, crazy people looking to bilk stupid people out of their money, and the political equivalent of Mark Wahlberg, who totally would have done something but I couldn't at the time but buy my book as I explain why.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

lol that his attempts to hide his assets from the court gave the court freedom to say "Well he's not shown us that he has lost all that money he used to have or that there's some kind of extenuating circumstance, so pay the loving piper Rudy :shrug:"

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Ms Adequate posted:

lol that his attempts to hide his assets from the court gave the court freedom to say "Well he's not shown us that he has lost all that money he used to have or that there's some kind of extenuating circumstance, so pay the loving piper Rudy :shrug:"

Its almost like the Alex Jones legal strategy of telling the judge to go gently caress himself is sub-optimal.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cimber posted:

Its almost like the Alex Jones legal strategy of telling the judge to go gently caress himself is sub-optimal.

But I heard judges looked really favorably upon you when you do that. Showing dominance and what not.

This is also why at the start of any case you should piss on the prosocutors table, the judges throne thingo, and the jury box, just to mark your territory. So yeah drink a lot before you go in.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Cimber posted:

The Buzz Hickey defense: Be the baboon with the biggest, reddest rear end.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

Cimber posted:

Nah, what you do is deliberately piss off the judge as much as possible, then when they get angry at you that means they’re being biased, then they’re not allowed to judge you!

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Asgerd posted:

Nah, what you do is deliberately piss off the judge as much as possible, then when they get angry at you that means they’re being biased, then they’re not allowed to judge you!

Mr. Trump I loved you in Home Alone 2

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Nash posted:

Mr. Trump I loved you in Home Alone 2

Those libs robbed him of an oscar.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

AtomikKrab posted:

Isn't the president also a military officer during his term in office? Specifically so he can order around the troops properly? That's a military office right there and well people can wear more than one hat, so even if the PRESIDENT is not an "officer" He was also a general at that time per the military chain of command... and thats an office of the USA right there.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A game following the events of Jan 5-7th as Donald Trump in the style of Disco Elysium would definitely be something with the potential to be very funny.

Dickhead Elysium

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

dr_rat posted:

But I heard judges looked really favorably upon you when you do that. Showing dominance and what not.

This is also why at the start of any case you should piss on the prosocutors table, the judges throne thingo, and the jury box, just to mark your territory. So yeah drink a lot before you go in.

Negging the judge

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

A game following the events of Jan 5-7th as Donald Trump in the style of Disco Elysium would definitely be something with the potential to be very funny.

Dickhead Elysium

Hell, a Disco Elysium-style game focusing on the court cases as well as the attempted coup would be... something.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Asgerd posted:

It's foolproof, as in it's proof that you're a fool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Madkal posted:

It's foolproof, as in it's proof that you're a fool!

I really want Trump to be reduced to going pro se