Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Riker is sketchy on occasion.

Main two examples are the trial episode where he's accused of blowing up that station, the scientists wife accuses him of trying to force himself on her. Riker denies it. But Troi senses the wife believes what she is saying is true. She also doesn't sense Riker is lying either, his version of events is she came onto him and he declined. But both believe they were aggrieved and neither is lying.

The other one is the creepy psychic who intrudes on people's traumatic memories, he intrudes into a memory of Troi's where Riker is not taking no for an answer. And it's ambiguous, did his intrusion warp the memory or is that something that actually happened?

I think we're meant to conclude scientist wife is delusional due to trauma, and that Riker doesn't have a reason to "lie", but it is entirely possible he's a sex pest.

I must have completely surpressed your second example. What episode is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I always read Riker forcing himself on Troi in that memory as representative of the violation-in-progress by the telepath, not a real memory. Riker turns into the telepath character in that scene, even.

thotsky posted:

I must have completely surpressed your second example. What episode is that?

Violations

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 21, 2023

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Grey Cat posted:

So this is jamaharon?

"Hey baby wanna cyber"

This IS cybersex

Risa Home Edition for incel exhibitionists

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

redshirt posted:

Worf's greatest moment was fighting to the death over and over in the Dominion prison, with his fight coach Martok.

He was able to fully kick rear end, freed of the plot.

Worf, son of Mogh, House of Martok, slayer of Gowron, Jem'Hadar wrestling camp silver medalist.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Worf, son of Mogh, House of Martok, slayer of Gowron, Jem'Hadar wrestling camp silver medalist.

Dumb rear end Gowron had it coming too, like many times over!

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Squiggle posted:

I always read Riker forcing himself on Troi in that memory as representative of the violation-in-progress by the telepath, not a real memory. Riker turns into the telepath character in that scene, even.

Violations
That is what I remember too.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
TNG Worf is v different than DS9 Worf if only in terms of how much rear end they let him kick

Also like the Klingon Weeaboo thing coming to the surface more in DS9

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

TNG Worf is v different than DS9 Worf if only in terms of how much rear end they let him kick

Also like the Klingon Weeaboo thing coming to the surface more in DS9

His whole "I must sleep on the Defiant" thing was pathetic. He's a big baby.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Sleeping rear end cheek to rear end cheek on a rowdy klingon ship? No problem.
Sleeping in your own quarters on a space station? Can't be done.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I still want Worf prosecuted for his crimes on Risa.

#JusticeForRisa

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

redshirt posted:

I still want Worf prosecuted for his crimes on Risa.

#JusticeForRisa

Honestly that was loving ridiculous.
Vacations are for people that don't want to work anymore, better commit terrorism on this expensive weather system.
The fact Jadzia could even love someone so anti all expenses paid sex-vacation after that is impossible to believe.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Is there a cooler weapon than the Ferengi whip?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

Honestly that was loving ridiculous.
Vacations are for people that don't want to work anymore, better commit terrorism on this expensive weather system.
The fact Jadzia could even love someone so anti all expenses paid sex-vacation after that is impossible to believe.

Agreed 100%. Although maybe that says a lot more about Jadzia than we are willing to accept.

Worf did straight up terrorism on Risa, as a Starfleet officer! He should at minimum have been forced out of Starfleet for that.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

If you're going there think of all the stuff Data did. He always had an excuse but he pulled some serious poo poo.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Big rear end On Fire posted:

If you're going there think of all the stuff Data did. He always had an excuse but he pulled some serious poo poo.

Give one example equal to Worf intentionally loving up a planet's atmosphere controls cuz he was pissy.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Squiggle posted:

Violations

Given the other people's memories are also real, my take was always that the memory starts out real and then gets warped by the memory stealer guy cause he wants the traumatic feelings. Riker remembers sacrificing an ensign to contain a warp core breach, and then Jev's injection is constantly yelling at him "YOU KILLED HER" and Crusher's memory is of PIcard showing her Jack's corpse and Jev becomes her husband.

So yea, I figured they maybe got a bit intimate with the poker chips and riker was talking about missing her, and then when she said no he left cause anything else would be wildly out of character for him.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Does Riker ever do anything unethical in the entire series?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

punishedkissinger posted:

Depends if you count the other Riker becoming a terrorist.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

A Riker

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

redshirt posted:

Give one example equal to Worf intentionally loving up a planet's atmosphere controls cuz he was pissy.
I'm not saying Data's actions are worse than Worf's but here goes. Data stabbed Troi, stole a shuttle and abandoned the crew (of the ENT, his post etc), beat up other Starfleet personnel and exposed a Federation spying program (IX). I need to rewatch that Risa episode. I don't really remember it at all.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Big rear end On Fire posted:

I'm not saying Data's actions are worse than Worf's but here goes. Data stabbed Troi, stole a shuttle and abandoned the crew (of the ENT, his post etc), beat up other Starfleet personnel and exposed a Federation spying program (IX). I need to rewatch that Risa episode. I don't really remember it at all.

Under the influence of what?

You don't really need to watch the Risa episode, it's honestly one of the worst.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, each of those instances that I can recall Data was either acting under some kind of outside influence or was doing the right thing.

Worf was mad that Jadzia wanted to wear a sexxy bathing suit so he did a terrorism.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Riker is like Mr. Enthusiastic Consent. I bet he even let's the holodeck say no.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

CainFortea posted:

Yea, each of those instances that I can recall Data was either acting under some kind of outside influence or was doing the right thing.

Worf was mad that Jadzia wanted to wear a sexxy bathing suit so he did a terrorism.

I'd like to know if anyone died because of Worf's hijinks. It was never stated, but given the global severe storms, it's possible.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Arguably, one thing got retconned as bad after the fact: at one point Riker casually trades some bio-mimetic gel to an alien freighter captain. Later on that stuff was established to be extremely dangerous, and tightly controlled under Federation law.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

CainFortea posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Riker initially covers for Pressman during the Pegasus incident, that's pretty unethical

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Cookie Cutter posted:

Riker initially covers for Pressman during the Pegasus incident, that's pretty unethical

Wasn't he under orders to do so

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Wasn't he under orders to do so

Yes, but you aren't supposed to follow illegal orders.

The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth, whether it's scientific truth or historical truth or personal truth! It is the guiding principle on which Starfleet is based, and if you can't find it within yourself to stand up and tell the truth about what happened, you don't deserve to wear that uniform.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Riker phasered the poo poo out of some clones of himself

The cloning was illegal and unethical but it was already done

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
"One William Riker is unique, perhaps even special. But a hundred of him, a thousand of him diminishes me in ways I can't even imagine."

I wonder what Tom would have done

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

maybeadracula posted:

Riker phasered the poo poo out of some clones of himself

The cloning was illegal and unethical but it was already done

They weren't viable yet.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

CainFortea posted:

They weren't viable yet.

They didn't really check how sentient they were before they just started blasting though

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

maybeadracula posted:

They didn't really check how sentient they were before they just started blasting though

They weren't even fully formed yet, they were all jelly and goopy and not responding to outside stimulii

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Just watched the "killing your own clone is still murder!!" DS9 ep

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Let's all admit we've all broken Federation law once or twice.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That was Bajoran law

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

dr_rat posted:

Yeah going down the road of "why isn't this obviously available tech actually used how it 100% would be if available" is a road the Star Trek writers really don't want to go down.

I seem to recall there was discussions before TNG about them not having spaceships and just beaming to other planets, and when they thought it through it was just came down to, yeah that would be to hard to write for. Star Trek has always been pretty up front about the technology just being what ever it needs to be, to be in service of the plot. Which you know is 100% completely fine.

I like to justify in-universe that tech doesn't have 100% penetration, and that the Federation is deeply conservative about general adoption of powerful technologies especially when it comes to personal augmentations or cybernetics. Rutherford is probably a real outlier in that he has an implant and in a more serious show would probably get no small amount of flak for it. Strange New Worlds really emphasizes that the Federation is ball-shrinkingly terrified of any sort of genetic engineering and I would assume that that fear extends to cybernetics as well if not nearly as strongly. Prosthetics that are near-perfect replacements for limbs are ok, but a prosthetic that really boosts your capabilities is gonna get some side-eye.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Will and Tom Riker go through the transporter with an orchid and end up merged back together. He then gets in a shuttlecraft with Kira and goes warp 10 turning them both into salamanders. Their salamander babies base their culture on a box set of The Sopranos and go on to conquer the galaxy. At what point in the timeline is it most ethical to go back to in order to prevent it all from happening, and how?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mccavity has broken every federation law