Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jedit posted:

Naive of you to think that he was joking.

Also: he left his wife and ran off with a young wan :mcrappe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

eleven extra elephants posted:

Michael Winner's restaurant reviews fall under this umbrella for me.

Ah. The good old days of Chefs applying “Winner’s Relish”

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

"Cunts Who Have Written Things That Amused Me"
That's a whole wing of the League of Disappointing Authors.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't know that HP Lovecraft is disappointing, he writes exactly the same way about foreigners as he does about aliens from the bottom of the sea. They're the same thing to him.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'd put him alongside Arthur Schopenhauer in that his opinions on perception and humanity are fascinating and his opinions on who falls outside of those are tepidly predictable cuntery.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Remind me who the bearded guy and Ernest are I forget

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Tesseraction posted:

Remind me who the bearded guy and Ernest are I forget

Hemingway and Orson Scott Card

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

grobbo posted:

There's a powerful Venn diagram of Fleet Street tossers here but I don't want to make it

the inner overlap being 'pedo oval office'

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

keep punching joe posted:

AA Gill the creator of Winnie the Pooh

Poor A A Milne, to be confused with that

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Guavanaut posted:

That's a whole wing of the League of Disappointing Authors.

What did Hemingway do besides being a sadbrained raging alcoholic?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

cat botherer posted:

What did Hemingway do besides being a sadbrained raging alcoholic?

Well according to Wikipedia he broke the Geneva Convention during WW2. Also he was American, that's always bad

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Sorry if anyone finds this post offensive I am posting it in good faith and if the language I use is bad the please drag me so I can correct it but i have a question for the trans people in this thread.

I was watching a YouTuber I like and he was having a debate on should trans women be allowed to compete in women's sport. It made me wonder how big an issue is that in the U.K. trans community? Because it seems to me that just getting basic respect and health care is a huge problem for trans people at the moment. Again if this is a badly done post tell me and I will willingly change it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

eleven extra elephants posted:

Michael Winner's restaurant reviews fall under this umbrella for me.

also the ending of death wish 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyXQp-HzLaE

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

forkboy84 posted:

Well according to Wikipedia he broke the Geneva Convention during WW2.

barely

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Well according to Wikipedia he broke the Geneva Convention during WW2. Also he was American, that's always bad

Being fair breaching it by pointing a bunch of Frenchmen at the Nazis seems like a pretty low mark on a person's record.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

bessantj posted:

I was watching a YouTuber I like and he was having a debate on should trans women be allowed to compete in women's sport. It made me wonder how big an issue is that in the U.K. trans community?

Only a small subset of UK people are trans and it's only a subset of them that do competitive sports and there's only a small subset of them where anyone has any problem with it, by which time you've got down to a vanishingly tiny number of cases.

I suspect it only gets the airtime in the press and on YouTube that it does because it's seen as a wedge issue that can easily be portrayed as being about 'fairness' rather than 'transphobia' which can then be exploited to draw people more deeply into gender critical craziness.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I tried to read a Hemingway book, twice.

Didn't enjoy it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bessantj posted:

Sorry if anyone finds this post offensive I am posting it in good faith and if the language I use is bad the please drag me so I can correct it but i have a question for the trans people in this thread.

I was watching a YouTuber I like and he was having a debate on should trans women be allowed to compete in women's sport. It made me wonder how big an issue is that in the U.K. trans community? Because it seems to me that just getting basic respect and health care is a huge problem for trans people at the moment. Again if this is a badly done post tell me and I will willingly change it.

As a rule the whole sport issue is fabricated by the right as the thin end of the wedge to try to frame their transphobia as a feminist issue. It's the same thing as "women only spaces" and bathrooms etc.

Like yeah there is a general question of "if you're going to segregate people into different sports leagues how do you actually do that other than just vibes" and so far the solution is "exclude a bunch of cis women from the women's leagues because you don't like how their bodies work just so you can be lovely to trans people" and "women's brains are biologically bad at chess"

Which a thinking person might say strikes at things like the entire legitimacy of sporting leagues founded on segregating people and whether or not we can or should be trying to make up categories so that we can say who is "objectively" the best at things. Perhaps the search for an objective best sporter is intrinsically stupid.

Similarly a thinking person might look at the intrinsic discomfort of communal bathrooms and say maybe we could just give everyone a real private room to poo poo in rather than the cheapest nastiest shithole we can bung together out of bits of plastic.

There are solutions to these problems because the problems are actually general problems, but the right only pretends to care about them insofar as they can be applied as a beating stick against their preferred targets and aren't interested in the actual solutions.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Like when Scientologists offer to give you a free mental wellness test: they know that if they start straight in on alien spaceships and spirits in volcanoes and stuff that they'll scare you off: they need to lead you into it in baby steps.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Dead Goon posted:

Didn't enjoy it.

I tried to read Farewell to Arms but he kept using 'thee' and 'thou' to try and give a sense of Spanish language in English and I found it really irritating.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

There are solutions to these problems because the problems are actually general problems, but the right only pretends to care about them insofar as they can be applied as a beating stick against their preferred targets and aren't interested in the actual solutions.
Yeah I think Shades of Gray is the best well sourced thing I last read on it and that may be outdated by now but the fact that it's a million words to just break the ice on the actual issue of gender and sports science and most trans people don't want to be powerlifters and most powerlifters aren't trans my general conclusion is that anyone writing less words on that specific issue who is not a trans athlete themselves can be safely assumed to be angling for guardian headlines rather than taking a serious position, and should be taken about as seriously as "but what if a gay rugby in the showers???" article from 30 years ago.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Tigey posted:

I can smell Boar Taint so

did not know you worked at Xformerlyknownastwitter, op

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Dead Goon posted:

Didn't enjoy it.

Hemingway sucks rear end, but Faulkner fucks

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

crispix posted:

did not know you worked at Xformerlyknownastwitter, op

That's boer taint.

That said, castration does work to get rid of the stench when it comes to pork... Perhaps they should try it with Elon too...:thunk:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Dead Goon posted:

Didn't enjoy it.

If the lad wrote anything worth reading there'll be a movie.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'll wait for the graphic novel adaptation of the movie, written by Kevin J. Anderson

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Pistol_Pete posted:

Only a small subset of UK people are trans and it's only a subset of them that do competitive sports and there's only a small subset of them where anyone has any problem with it, by which time you've got down to a vanishingly tiny number of cases.

I suspect it only gets the airtime in the press and on YouTube that it does because it's seen as a wedge issue that can easily be portrayed as being about 'fairness' rather than 'transphobia' which can then be exploited to draw people more deeply into gender critical craziness.

Yeah, I feared that would be the answer. Thank you very much for taking the time to reply, shamefully I don't really know enough about trans issues and the trans community.

OwlFancier posted:

This YouTuber is quite a leftist but I've noticed that there are enough on the left who seem to think a trans woman is some sort of madness.

Guavanaut posted:

anyone writing less words on that specific issue who is not a trans athlete themselves can be safely assumed to be angling for guardian headlines rather than taking a serious position, and should be taken about as seriously as "but what if a gay rugby in the showers???" article from 30 years ago.

One of the examples that the YouTuber used was a trans woman breaking the leg of a cis woman during rugby training, when he said that I had to give up on the video. I had payed rugby, in various forms, for nearly 20 years I've seen people break bones during training, I've gotten a bad injury in training. It felt like a very disingenuous thing to bring up.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Films_based_on_works_by_Ernest_Hemingway

???

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bessantj posted:

This YouTuber is quite a leftist but I've noticed that there are enough on the left who seem to think a trans woman is some sort of madness.

There's a strain of people who seem to be just ardent conservatives who happen to like the idea of a command economy. They seem to gravitate towards being self identified stalin fans or other authoritarian flavours of historical communism and spend a lot of time calling socially liberal positions "bourgeois" and has a conception of working class that would be shared with the daily mail.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

A lot of these look suspiciously like they'll be in black and white.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah I think Shades of Gray is the best well sourced thing I last read on it

As a fellow Fforde Ffan I was confused there for a second...

Sequel in February!

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

bessantj posted:

One of the examples that the YouTuber used was a trans woman breaking the leg of a cis woman during rugby training, when he said that I had to give up on the video. I had payed rugby, in various forms, for nearly 20 years I've seen people break bones during training, I've gotten a bad injury in training. It felt like a very disingenuous thing to bring up.

its (allegedly) about perceived unfair advantage, although nobody ever gave a hot gay gently caress that michael phelps was racking up the golds with more cheat code advantages than anyone. Including but not limited to having a body that was observed to produce only half as much lactic acid as any peer athletes, massively reducing fatigue and recovery times in comparison.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I don't think sports are pointless and I do value competition but I think worrying about transpeople in sports is like at the figure this out later end of the scale due to the numbers involved suggested earlier.

And by figure it out later I mean once you've figured out to respect people for who and what they identify as, cos probably once you've done that, the sporting rulebook edits are a much less difficult task.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

:toot: The govt have rolled back plans to raise the salary threshold for foreign dependants

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
For sale,
Geneva convention,
Barely breached.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

It's an effective wedge issue because it feels like it makes sense, and you can twist it so you feel like it's not a contradiction to say you support trans people but this is a special area that needs special consideration. Without knowing some of the effects of things like HRT it's understandable that some people would think "Trans women have an advantage because of their bone structure/male muscles/etc" and not realize that things are far more complex than that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They always phrase it like someone who looks like Fabio is going around drop kicking the girls' badminton team and nobody can stop it because they're afraid of the gender police.

Which I do lay a lot at the feet of people willing to believe that. I think you have to want to believe that sort of thing to not think "hang on that sounds daft"

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

fuctifino posted:

:toot: The govt have rolled back plans to raise the salary threshold for foreign dependants

Still 7 grand higher than a minimum wage salary (which is presumably supposed to be enough to support a family).

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Pretty hosed up that someone can get an indefinite hospital order for hacking

quote:

An 18-year-old hacker who leaked clips of a forthcoming Grand Theft Auto (GTA) game has been sentenced to an indefinite hospital order.
Arion Kurtaj from Oxford, who is autistic, was a key member of international gang Lapsus$.
The gang's attacks on tech giants including Uber, Nvidia and Rockstar Games cost the firms nearly $10m.

The court heard that Kurtaj had been violent while in custody with dozens of reports of injury or property damage.
x

I wonder why they might be violent while held in custody :iiam:

:lol: :science:

quote:

The jury was told that while he was on bail for hacking Nvidia and BT/EE and in police protection at a Travelodge hotel, he continued hacking and carried out his most infamous hack.

Despite having his laptop confiscated, Kurtaj managed to breach Rockstar, the company behind GTA, using an Amazon Firestick, his hotel TV and a mobile phone.

Also :jerkbag: at the judge for trying to make people care that some videogame clips got leaked / cost four companies an entire £10m. Nvidia alone made $4billion in profit this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

fuctifino posted:

This is a big relief, but its still far far too high for many families, and especially those based in the north of the UK. I hope that it gets legally challenged and thrown out because I feel totally awful for the people who are in my situation, but only a little bit behind on the timing. I just hope that my partners visa is approved first time round...