Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest disappointment of 2023?
The Dallas Cowboys (gently caress 'em)
The New York Giants
The Philadephia Eagles
The Washington Washingtons
Myself for watching NFC East Clownball
View Results

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Sirianni was hired to be a yes man and hold the clipboard while the stacked roster and coordinators did the work. What does he even bring to the team to suggest he's responsible for the success? What does he even do here? Cause this entire season has shown 0 adjustment and says to me you could swap him out with Big Dom and you'd get the same results. Howie making miracles with the roster and this guy still out there calling qb draws with the dak Prescott of fumbles meanwhile the running backs sit on the bench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Eli signing the stadium and slaying the Patriots dragon in the Superbowl TWICE earned him a lifetime of appreciation and goodwill from me.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The eagles firing good head coaches is just their bit. Reid is a hall of famer. Pederson won a Super Bowl. sriracha got them to the Super Bowl. At this point there is no benchmark for success for an eagles coach and who in their right loving mind would want to coach there?

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Sickening posted:

The eagles firing good head coaches is just their bit. Reid is a hall of famer. Pederson won a Super Bowl. sriracha got them to the Super Bowl. At this point there is no benchmark for success for an eagles coach and who in their right loving mind would want to coach there?

Yeah, that's the other thing. Like, who do people think the Eagles would be able to get if they fired a coach who made the playoffs a season after taking them to the Super Bowl? And only a few years after a power struggle ousted a Super Bowl winning coach? The team would be untouchable for anyone with decent options.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Black Lighter posted:

Yeah, that's the other thing. Like, who do people think the Eagles would be able to get if they fired a coach who made the playoffs a season after taking them to the Super Bowl? And only a few years after a power struggle ousted a Super Bowl winning coach? The team would be untouchable for anyone with decent options.

I agree with that point yeah

He will probably get one more year

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Black Lighter posted:

this is the most absurd thing anyone has posted in this thread

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

why would any coach want to come work for the best GM in the league with one of the best rosters and the overwhelming probability of immediate playoff success they can then roll over into a huge contract for some desperate sucker organization. it boggles the mind

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
-Eagles hire new coach
-Hitch their wagon to flawed but athletic QB on a stacked team
-Eagles reach super bowl
-Offensive coordinator gets poached by the Colts
-New offense struggles, QB starts to fall apart
-People wonder if offensive coordinator was the actual good coach as Colts do well
-Team slides downhill
-HC ends up in power struggle and gets fired
-Eagles hire new coach
-hitch their wagon to a flawed but athletic qB on a stacked team
-Eagles reach Super Bowl
-Offensive coordinator gets poached by the Colts
New offense struggles, QB starts to fall apart
-People wonder if Offensive coordinator was the actual good coach as Colts do well
-Team slides downhill

I can only conclude that next year will involve a power struggle with Sirianni and Howie as the team flops around

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
yeah, like ... we see basically every offseason there's no shortage of coaches willing to leap into obvious garbage-tier situations with the expectation that they'll be able to turn things around or use it as a stepping stone for something greater. there's virtually nothing eagles leadership can do that would make filling sirianni's job particularly difficult. the trick would be finding someone who's actually good, because you'd be getting rid of a guy who narrowly lost a super bowl and has gone to the playoffs in all three of his seasons thus far. it'd be insane to get rid of him when there are glaring personnel issues that would be considerably easier and less franchise-altering to fix.

if next season the team backslides further into .500 or sub-.500 territory, maybe it's worth talking about then. imo.

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 21, 2023

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
Which AFC team will Sirianni elevate to perennial superbowl contenders? The Patriots are my bet.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

indigi posted:

why would any coach want to come work for the best GM in the league with one of the best rosters and the overwhelming probability of immediate playoff success they can then roll over into a huge contract for some desperate sucker organization. it boggles the mind

'Your job security will be so non-existent that you might get fired for having a winning record the season after you make the Super Bowl' isn't the sales pitch you seem to think it is.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Eagles no longer have the best roster. They have a really good one but their cracks are way too evident. Their DBs suck, their QB sucks, and their HB is a bit overrated even though he's finding success statistically.

Eagles last year relied on reading man defenses. Hurts is very good at that. He can find a guy beating his coverage and deliver a decent enough ball within 20 yards to take advantage of the insane YAC ability of A.J. Brown. This pulled guys from the box which made Miles Sanders the perfect HB for that offense. They had a zone blocking scheme that would spring him and he could eat up yards with his quickness. This year the Eagles have a bunch of injuries on their oline and a HB that benefits more from a gap assignment scheme due to not being very creative or having the greatest vision when picking through the initial blocking. This resulted in defenses switching to zone coverage against Hurts and Swift. If you can just sit back and force the bad QB to find open guys you can then put an extra guy in the box. Swift, while statistically decent, kind of lacks the pop and punishment you need to keep LBs from sitting back for the pass. If he can easily go down then opposing safeties and LBs can play the pass first, forcing more difficult throws from Hurts while accepting the 4-6 yard gains Swift can pump out.

This is a huge problem for the Eagles' redzone. They've dropped from a 68% success rate to a 60% success rate this year, which seems bolstered by the tush push. I'm not taking anything away from the Eagles, it just seems like they're really relying on a pedestrian run game over a lethal WCO now. That doesn't make them bad per se, it's just those types of offenses are almost never as successful or entertaining as Miami's 2 step offense or Cinci's spread offense.

They got old and bad on defense. Bradberry is cooked and Slay is just a guy now. Reed Blankenship is a cleanup guy and a complete liability in coverage. They're in the bottom 10 of the league in opponent's second half scoring which, in my opinion, is usually a knock on DBs. I believe that NFL coverages are a don't crack strategy. Play consistent over and over and you'll be a top rated player, have faults and it'll show eventually when the opponent's are bombing the ball against you to catch back up. They're dead last in opponent completions, bottom 5 in allowed passing yards, and experience the most passing attempts out of any other league. Teams know their DBs are poo poo and are just attacking them. What's more concerning is that they kind of lost to the 49ers run game more than the pass game. Purdy completely picked them apart and was just insanely efficient, but CMC was gashing them early and often. That's starting to spell bottom 5 defense. 2022 Vikings quality defense.

The coaching is miserably bad. I've seen a bunch of Eagles games this year but I've also been a hater watching Sirianni hate videos and tiktoks. They all say the same thing: he has no gameplan. The Eagles come out and try to establish the run, but then their passes don't help the run game. If guys are just leaking out and Hurts has to try to pick and pop then the defenses almost never have to change their coverages. They showed it with the Niners running their cover 6 all game long. Ideally if you're running a WCO you want to move the defenses away from where your runs will eventually occur. That's something Kyle Shanahan is fantastic at. Sirianni doesn't have that knack. I don't know what he's planning but it's not a cohesive offense. I'm just an armchair QB but I'd imagine you'd want to run mesh concepts a lot with their offense, not these lovely leak out routes while AJ Brown tries desperately to carry them all.

Sorry for the long post but I believe the best way to reinforce that Philadelphia is a garbage city with garbage people and a garbage football team is to explain why.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I’m sorry but the Eagles haven’t been consistently good for long enough for their fans to be this ridiculously entitled. The team is 10 and 4 and still in the running for the top seed in up the NFC. ffs

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Black Lighter posted:

'Your job security will be so non-existent that you might get fired for having a winning record the season after you make the Super Bowl' isn't the sales pitch you seem to think it is.

Pederson got a job elsewhere immediately. His situation isn't even bad right now, despite me and others thinking what we think of current Trevor

The only recent time I remember "coach fired after success has really hurt coach's long-term job prospects for head coaching in the league" is Jim Caldwell not HCing again since being fired after two 9-7 years. Even Lovie's had multiple teams hire him after "10-6 in Chicago isn't enough"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Doltos you nailed it and are 100% in that post

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Am I allowed to want Sirianni fired for the sole reason that he elevated that rapist rear end in a top hat to DC? It's loving gross, and I hate it.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

Pederson got a job elsewhere immediately. His situation isn't even bad right now, despite me and others thinking what we think of current Trevor

The only recent time I remember "coach fired after success has really hurt coach's long-term job prospects for head coaching in the league" is Jim Caldwell not HCing again since being fired after two 9-7 years. Even Lovie's had multiple teams hire him after "10-6 in Chicago isn't enough"

'When I inevitably get fired despite strong performance, it'll be cool because I'll be able to land an equivalent job elsewhere' is not a thing people seriously think when fielding job offers.

E:

WaffleZombie posted:

Am I allowed to want Sirianni fired for the sole reason that he elevated that rapist rear end in a top hat to DC? It's loving gross, and I hate it.

This is the correct reason to want Sirianni fired, but then you also have to fire Howie too, because no way he wasn't in on that decision.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Today: https://twitter.com/JClarkNBCS/status/1737594549197750535

Yesterday: https://twitter.com/Jeff_McLane/status/1737571545776632095

edit:

Black Lighter posted:

'When I inevitably get fired despite strong performance, it'll be cool because I'll be able to land an equivalent job elsewhere' is not a thing people seriously think when fielding job offers.

...Truly don't know what to tell you if you've never reacted "I'll bounce back somewhere" after either a firing, or quitting, or an interview not leading to acceptance. Definitely doesn't apply to just football, definitely isn't a thought exclusive to only online-forumers. It isn't and shouldn't be the end of the world, especially if you've done well regardless

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

Today: https://twitter.com/JClarkNBCS/status/1737594549197750535

Yesterday: https://twitter.com/Jeff_McLane/status/1737571545776632095

edit:

...Truly don't know what to tell you if you've never reacted "I'll bounce back somewhere" after either a firing, or quitting, or an interview not leading to acceptance. Definitely doesn't apply to just football, definitely isn't a thought exclusive to only online-forumers. It isn't and shouldn't be the end of the world, especially if you've done well regardless

...Truly don't know what to tell you if you think someone getting fired and being confident that they'll bounce back is the same thing as walking into a brand new job knowing they have almost no security but thinking it's cool because it'll all work out in the end. That's not a thing that happens.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Black Lighter posted:

😂

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My crackpot theory is the Eagles are really downplaying how hurt their offense is. There's the obvious missing-games type issues, but it also seems like Hurts, Smith, and Brown are all unable to get back to 100% but because they eventually get up and look good for a play or two it gets wiped away. Every game they are going down a few times and struggling to get back up immediately.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I don't think that's entirely off base. Hurts has had a knee issue practically all year and has spoken about them to a small degree, which might be what's limiting his running ability a bit. Devonta and AJ have had some moments where you think they're not getting back on the field and they do. But it adds up

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Doltos posted:

Philadelphia is a garbage city with garbage people and a garbage football team

All that really needed to be said.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

that's right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRScnoazYhM

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Chris James 2 posted:

Marty Schottenheimer never coached in the nfl again after taking the chargers 14-2, but he was 63, and that was 2006 so not sure if that counts as recent

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Also, even with Lawrence, Jacksonville was probably the least desirable coaching position in the league at that point - idiot GM, coming off a year of Meyer sabotaging the team and only a few years removed from the NFLPA openly warning players against signing there. And if Leftwich hadn't tried to insist on his own GM, Pederson wouldn't have been offered the job at all.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He had Trevor Lawrence tho

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

It gets to be a bit much sometimes, even for me

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

fartknocker posted:

I’m not saying all Eagles fans need this, cause some of y’all are good people (Quiet Feet always got my back with gently caress the Cowboys :cheers:) but some of them need a few years back on Chip Kelly’s Wild Ride, or a glorious return to the Ray Rhodes/Bobby Hoying years.

gently caress the Cowboys.

Some of you guys are nuts. This team looks shaky as hell yeah but they also beat the Chiefs, Dolphins, and Bills and split the series with the Cowboys. They're janky as poo poo but no, you should not fire your coach for their third winning season and a playoff spot, and after a trip to a Super Bowl like 10 months prior. And if Sirianni is just some random puppet hired by Howie, how in the gently caress is replacing him going to matter since it'll be the same guy hiring his replacement?

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Quiet Feet posted:

gently caress the Cowboys.

Some of you guys are nuts. This team looks shaky as hell yeah but they also beat the Chiefs, Dolphins, and Bills and split the series with the Cowboys. They're janky as poo poo but no, you should not fire your coach for their third winning season and a playoff spot, and after a trip to a Super Bowl like 10 months prior. And if Sirianni is just some random puppet hired by Howie, how in the gently caress is replacing him going to matter since it'll be the same guy hiring his replacement?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Quiet Feet posted:

And if Sirianni is just some random puppet hired by Howie, how in the gently caress is replacing him going to matter since it'll be the same guy hiring his replacement?

Welcome to the Jason Garrett zone

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

what is it about NFC East coaches and insanely punchable faces. Sirianni is just the latest in the line of McAdoos and Chip Kellys and Jay Grudens

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
People think I'm being ridiculous and entitled about calling for sirriani firing yet TODAY he promoted rapist to official DC.

I think yall are the ones that need to do some reevaluation imho.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Genuinely Patricia getting hired in the first place was a slap in the face, now having him come into the limelight is both validating what everyone who panned the hire feared and really loving depressing.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Asproigerosis posted:

People think I'm being ridiculous and entitled about calling for sirriani firing yet TODAY he promoted rapist to official DC.

I think yall are the ones that need to do some reevaluation imho.

i think it would be a totally fine firing if they said specifically that was the reason (but of course if ownership felt that way he could never have made the move at all)

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

epic bacon posted:

what is it about NFC East coaches and insanely punchable faces. Sirianni is just the latest in the line of McAdoos and Chip Kellys and Jay Grudens

it's the real reason doug was fired so fast: he just not a punchable guy.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007