Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I listened, a few times, to My Back Was A Bridge For You To Cross. The top album in the list a little while back.

It's something. But it's not a rock album. The leading single has basically no rock influence or similarities to rock other than sharing some instruments. The song that follows sounds like rock... industrial rock. And it sounds inspired by industrial rock rather than being industrial rock. In the same way as some Kanye songs can be.

Also, the album is either coming from a place of deep hurt or is being way too edgy. Stuff like 'Go ahead, kill yourself. You are an addict. So go ahead and hate yourself' and 'You're so killable. Just so killable. It's not personal. It's just the way you were born.' That kind of stuff would shock me a little on an old NIN album.

So. A- leading single. :dafuq: rest of the album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzXMFvSbtHs

Letterman talks to Matt Berninger from The National for half an hour

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I was blessed to see Dinosaur Jr on Sunday in Brooklyn for one of their Where You Been 30th Anniversary shows. They've had killer guests at each show, members of MBV were at the London shows, I got to see Kurt Vile & Lee Ranaldo, last night they had Marissa from Screaming Females, another night Laura Jane Grace. Tonight's the last show of their Brooklyn run and I wish I could have made it out again.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I learned about BITW yesterday. Odd Welsh pop guy. I’ve been listening to his new album Rehearse all day and am really enjoying it.

https://youtu.be/IQpLXexMpiU?si=wtF3MGexAgitsN3n

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Yo dog. I come to you from the year 2056, to let you know that Nine Types of Light is still a superlative album. One that can be spoken of in the same sentences as Illinoise, Ys, What's the Story? Morning Glory (when you're 21 and lit the f up), and even that album that uses binaural beats to make you experience euphoria and release the chemicals of a thousand orgasms for an hour straight (that last one only comes out in 2025 so there's no point naming it for you).

If you haven't heard it, do it now. If you have heard it, listen again. Just make sure it's the official full-album video/movie. The songs are the same but they're in a different order which really improves the pace and raises it to an A+, Top-10 disc for me.

e: The first song in the video may be the weakest. I know everyone says to keep listening if you don't like the start of an album, that it gets good eventually. But this really picks up on the second track.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 11, 2023

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Dear Science is better

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
really like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBWGUgVHdbE

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I still to this day come across people talking about the Battle of Britpop being played out between Oasis championing working and lower-middle class musical tastes on one side, with Blur what the middle upper-middle classes liked to hear on the other.

And I wish that any journalist who does that gets kicked in the balls.

'Hey Mitzi! I got a raise! Throw the guitar I bought to play Wonderwall in the trash. We're a Song 2 family now!'

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 13, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

We're a Pulp family here.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Bright Bart posted:

and even that album that uses binaural beats to make you experience euphoria and release the chemicals of a thousand orgasms for an hour straight (that last one only comes out in 2025 so there's no point naming it for you).
that's one of King Gizzard's seven albums that will come out that year, isn't it

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Anyone into The Mall?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVEMv6Vr3GU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bright Bart posted:

I still to this day come across people talking about the Battle of Britpop being played out between Oasis championing working and lower-middle class musical tastes on one side, with Blur what the middle upper-middle classes liked to hear on the other.

And I wish that any journalist who does that gets kicked in the balls.

'Hey Mitzi! I got a raise! Throw the guitar I bought to play Wonderwall in the trash. We're a Song 2 family now!'

That sounds like 90s British music journalism which is some terrible rear end poo poo.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

exquisite tea posted:

The common people speak.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Nightmare Cinema posted:

The common people speak.

I went to university with someone whoes favorite song was common people, they were the son of a European multimillionaire. There never seemed to be any sense they made the connection.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Clearly they thought being poor was cool.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I put my insoles in a pair of boots and brought my earplugs to go see Deli Girls and Black Eyes. How fuckin old am I?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

bows1 posted:

I put my insoles in a pair of boots and brought my earplugs to go see Deli Girls and Black Eyes. How fuckin old am I?

You're responsible, not old :colbert:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utjIE80OXVI

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-AQffyRhlA

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Gladie is great. If you haven’t already you should check out the new ep with the acoustic versions of some of the songs from their latest album

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Hi guys. I know it will mean v little to you, but I’ve been making a point of my sharing my top songs of the year since 2015. I’m still dancing to songs I and we shared eight years ago but we go again.

These are my favourite ten songs of 2023. I’d love to hear yours.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6Gcyq2dt6S3f0F1OEKg8k9?si=ok9p8WuTSeumVQNeVAPpAg&pi=e-5rC9_rrhSp61

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

This is wonderful :)

Can't remember if I saw anyone post about this, especially when the album first hit earlier this year, but I saw Nourished by Time pop up on a few best-of lists and I can't believe I missed this before now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_wUnw6gkSQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIyr-j8s6sQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZE4vU0Oxjk

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

britishbornandbread posted:

Hi guys. I know it will mean v little to you, but I’ve been making a point of my sharing my top songs of the year since 2015. I’m still dancing to songs I and we shared eight years ago but we go again.

These are my favourite ten songs of 2023. I’d love to hear yours.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6Gcyq2dt6S3f0F1OEKg8k9?si=ok9p8WuTSeumVQNeVAPpAg&pi=e-5rC9_rrhSp61

I do the same as well, and it's become a thing I enjoy more so for myself putting together. And sometimes friends and family bounce stuff back.

I've branched out more since i first was in this thread, but I still have Indie staples.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7bOnGQbx1Lgk7vAmV4kgbO?si=a016064ad6dc4855

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I just read the Stereogum article about the emergence of shoegaze on TikTok and got super excited to check out seem new bands only to find that half of it was…not actually shoegaze? loving kids these days :arghfist::wal:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

resident posted:

I just read the Stereogum article about the emergence of shoegaze on TikTok and got super excited to check out seem new bands only to find that half of it was…not actually shoegaze? loving kids these days :arghfist::wal:

Kids also like Nirvana now but literally only the t-shirts

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Shoegazing does sound like a term for something that could be some dumb new TikTok trend

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Was at DC9, a small venue in DC, a few months ago and suddenly a bunch of underage kids showed up for a show. We asked the bartender who the artist was, and they explained that its somebody who went viral on TikTok, and he explained that it's becoming a thing now where these artists with only one actual song are becoming crazy successful because of TikTok, and are actually touring sold out shows, even with only one song under their belt.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

resident posted:

Yeah the farther into the article I got the less shoegazey the bands sounded.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Nihonniboku posted:

Was at DC9, a small venue in DC, a few months ago and suddenly a bunch of underage kids showed up for a show. We asked the bartender who the artist was, and they explained that its somebody who went viral on TikTok, and he explained that it's becoming a thing now where these artists with only one actual song are becoming crazy successful because of TikTok, and are actually touring sold out shows, even with only one song under their belt.

DC9 rules. other small venues are "nicer," but DC9 is my favorite

but yeah, I've never seen so many Xs on hands as I did at the Duster show at the Black Cat this April — a couple of dads pushing 50 whose main creative output predates 9/11 — just because they had a few popular songs on TikTok

I don't know, I think it's cool — artists used to try to get played on the radio; now TikTok can be just as good if not better — and no one pays attention to the year a song came out or genre

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
They were talking about Slowdive experiencing a boom in popularity due to tiktok, when I was listening to KCRW this morning. Funny to here that tiktokers will throw a bunch of bands on the wall waiting for a trend to stick.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I will admit that flyingfish sounds like they would be good if they let go of the ear bleedingly bad digital compression gimmick

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kramdar posted:

They were talking about Slowdive experiencing a boom in popularity due to tiktok, when I was listening to KCRW this morning. Funny to here that tiktokers will throw a bunch of bands on the wall waiting for a trend to stick.
Glad I got my ticket to see them in a few months before the TikTok kids grab them all.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Kramdar posted:

I'm glad the kids are hearing about the good news about Alison.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

priznat posted:

Kids also like Nirvana now but literally only the t-shirts

This has been a thing far longer than this generation of kids old man

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

This has been a thing far longer than this generation of kids old man

The shirts seem more popular than a long time, kids wearing em all over now!!

Back in my day you would make a nirvana shirt with a marker, that’s what Kurt woulda wanted smdh

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

DasNeonLicht posted:

DC9 rules. other small venues are "nicer," but DC9 is my favorite

Love the rooftop. Wish it had a toilet up there though, sucks to have to walk down two long flights of stairs to take a piss when there is a show going on that you're not attending, or when the second floor is just closed. The garlic fries are amazing though, and the burgers are always perfectly cooked.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
it is the platonic ideal of a small venue — a greasy kitchen for food before shows, a separate event space for concerts and dance parties, and a lowkey dive bar that attracts its own crowd during the week but also gives you a nice place to chill after a show. Johnny Brenda's in Philly impressed me for the same reason

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

priznat posted:

The shirts seem more popular than a long time, kids wearing em all over now!!

It’s because you can buy them at target and Walmart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Happy New Year, folks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSgHGFuPNus