Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

FuzzySlippers posted:

Thats Godzilla vs. Biollante?

ya. it's not as focused on that bureaucratic exploration/satirizing as shin godzilla is, obvi, but it's an ensemble cast who all have different responses/roles to godzilla, and to the cascading effects he has on the story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/godzilla231103/status/1737246450009153808?t=mGlv0AogiQuYsoBG-Demsw&s=19

A special release coming to Japanese theaters. Godzilla: Minus Colour.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Holy gently caress am I jealous of that it looks awesome

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

gently caress this better be an extra for the 4k disc

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

MuddyFunster posted:

Back from a second Minus One viewing. I kept it together the first time around, but the small scene where they're telling the kid to hang back and that he should be proud he's never been to war, I cried a bit this time. It's so loving good.

The film is so loving good.

I was a bit disappointed to see him show up at the end to save the day, because my immediate thought was that it undercut that ending to his character.

I think I've warmed on it somewhat since, as I think the film was trying to delineate that attacking Godzilla and saving Tokyo wasn't really war, and all those incapable of going to war showing up to help is indeed a good thing, but I'm not sure the film nails this.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

PriorMarcus posted:

I was a bit disappointed to see him show up at the end to save the day, because my immediate thought was that it undercut that ending to his character.

I think I've warmed on it somewhat since, as I think the film was trying to delineate that attacking Godzilla and saving Tokyo wasn't really war, and all those incapable of going to war showing up to help is indeed a good thing, but I'm not sure the film nails this.

I read that as it is not noble to fight a war of conquest, or to die for a goal that benefits none of the people actually fighting, while fighting Godzilla is honorable because it's risking your life for your family and community against an external existential threat.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

FuzzySlippers posted:

I have a dumb question Godzilla thread. Are any of the other kaiju movies like Shin Godzilla's weird focus on meetings and bureaucracy? I don't recall anything like that in the old old movies, but I haven't seen any of them in decades.

What Do With the Dead Kaiju? has a bit of this going on, but it's a weird comedy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Forgive the Last Jedi paraphrasing but I saw the Kid arriving to do a Dunkirk rescue as less of him wanting a chance to destroy something he hates and more as a way to save the people he loves.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

brocked posted:

What Do With the Dead Kaiju? has a bit of this going on, but it's a weird comedy.

There's also this short film wich deals with the same subject, but without the comedy. Would recommend!

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Minus One was very very good.

Might be the cleanest most accessible version of the core values Big G as a franchise is trying to communicate. I liked it a lot, this and Shin have been back to back really really excellent offerings.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Brandon Tenold has his Godzilla Millenium up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbZP2iqJ3MQ

Watch before Toho flags it. :lol:

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Mrs. Funny Pants took our 13 year old Godzilla nut out of school early today (last day before break) for a mother/son outing and Minus One was the choice. This was his second time and her first. I can't emphasize enough how little she gives a poo poo about Godzilla other than in her son's interest; she might have seen 2014, but I don't think she's seen any of the other Legendary movies and I'm positive that any exposure to Japanese versions has been through osmosis as my son has watched them on TV.

She thought it was great. She teared up. I really think Toho should have gambled some marketing money and given it a big, Hollywood level push. I'm obviously not talking a $100 million Marvel tier marketing campaign, but something resembling a mainstream movie. If someone like my wife liked it that much, and she's obviously not the only response like that we've all seen, I think this could have been an unqualified hit here.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They keep extending the theatrical runtime in the USA and I've seen more and more promotions for it coming to other countries on Twitter. No its not a 100 million dollar ad campaign but there's absolutely been word of mouth momentum building up in a way I haven't seen in a long time.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Minus One reminded me so much of GMK in themes, and a few specifics (very angry Godzilla, Atomic blast ray, the ray diffusing through Godzilla's body after an injury).

I need to watch it again, it's been years.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I convinced a friend to see Minus One a couple weeks ago and she loved it, so today we played hookie from work and took a mutual friend to see the matinee. This mutual friend had never seen any Godzilla film ever before today.

She loved it. She’s currently asking us if we want to watch G’54 next.

Minus One reigns supreme.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/14_kaiju/status/1737570814344691996?t=tVpF1kqKhEPGD6gJ6c3UCA&s=19

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

imagine owning that one individual house he steps on in that part. there's nothing around for miles, what the gently caress man! you did this on purpose!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

robot roll call posted:

imagine owning that one individual house he steps on in that part. there's nothing around for miles, what the gently caress man! you did this on purpose!

Pretty sure the owner got stomped immediately afterwards. They really do make you focus on just how many people die with every attack in this movie.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Dead link, have a screen shot?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Dead link, have a screen shot?

Twitter is loving up. I don't have a screenshot but Yamazaki said that the countryside scene in Minus One was meant to invoke older Godzilla movies and Ultraman movies in similar regions so someone took a bunch of Ultraman edits and pasted them into the background.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

They keep extending the theatrical runtime in the USA and I've seen more and more promotions for it coming to other countries on Twitter. No its not a 100 million dollar ad campaign but there's absolutely been word of mouth momentum building up in a way I haven't seen in a long time.

With the 8 new wide release movies coming out between now and Christmas it will probably lose most of its showings, sadly.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Desumaytah posted:

But also Spacegodzilla

You woke up choosing violence today.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

my godzilla showings are down to one show a day now at my nearest theatre.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
So once they drop two more we’ll be in business.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I've been doing my part to spread the gospel of "go see the new Godzilla, even if you aren't a fan you will like it, excellent film overall, etc etc".

My boss, like most folks, expressed surprise saying he hadn't seen any ads/trailers for it. I patiently explain for the umpteenth time that since it's a Toho film, not a Hollywood one, so it didn't have all the hype here in the US. To which he replied:

"Really? They make Godzilla movies in Japan?"

At this point my vision got blurry and my hearing was like my head was full of bees. This guy is 37 years old. How do you get that old and not know... I'm sorry, I think my brain is leaking out my ears again.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I've been doing my part to spread the gospel of "go see the new Godzilla, even if you aren't a fan you will like it, excellent film overall, etc etc".

My boss, like most folks, expressed surprise saying he hadn't seen any ads/trailers for it. I patiently explain for the umpteenth time that since it's a Toho film, not a Hollywood one, so it didn't have all the hype here in the US. To which he replied:

At this point my vision got blurry and my hearing was like my head was full of bees. This guy is 37 years old. How do you get that old and not know... I'm sorry, I think my brain is leaking out my ears again.

I think your boss is trying to get a rise out of you

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think their boss is just an idiot

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Big Mac posted:

I think your boss is trying to get a rise out of you

I thought so too, I even said verbatim "quit loving with me" (he's a cool boss). No he legit thought that Godzilla was somehow "a story from Japan", like Americans took some old Japanese myth and made monster movies out it or something. The conversation got cut short bc I had to ring up a customer. Trust me, I will be revisiting this discussion next time we're just chatting on downtime.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Here I thought the proud commuters in the Ginza district were the ones getting truly getting owned at work.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I thought so too, I even said verbatim "quit loving with me" (he's a cool boss). No he legit thought that Godzilla was somehow "a story from Japan", like Americans took some old Japanese myth and made monster movies out it or something. The conversation got cut short bc I had to ring up a customer. Trust me, I will be revisiting this discussion next time we're just chatting on downtime.

I can buy it. Lots of people flat out have no idea what goes on in pop culture unless it’s gigantic. So they probably saw the 1998 film because that poo poo was everywhere, and the new films because they’ve been popular enough.

When I was a kid I vaguely knew Godzilla and I saw the movies only because somehow my grandma or uncle or aunt, idk who, had a vhs pack of the films and talked about watching them and laughing at the bad dubs

I got into it bc of the 1998 mvoie big time. I had all the toys for Christmas lmao

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, Godzilla 98 hit at just the right time for child me to be super into it, so my parents also bought me a pack of VHS tapes that had Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla vs Hedorah and Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla. Thus making me into the person I am today.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My first Godzilla was the 98 movie because I was 5 years old and my brain hadn't sponged enough yet to know better so I was really confused when I saw Godzilla 2000 on TV and it wasn't a big velociraptor with spikes. After that Godzilla was something I was aware of but not well versed in. Then TCM played King of the Monsters! and I'm like "whoa this is actually really good."

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1737923095648747752?t=APEd6DeLVqvS7Z_uvq173g&s=19

It deserves it just for the Jaws scene alone.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 21, 2023

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

Stegosnaurlax posted:

You woke up choosing violence today.

I'm cool with choosing mathematically infinite times the number of interesting choices Spacegodzilla made.

Dimescale ambien crystal healing pauldron poisoning itself with colloidal silver-rear end Godzilla.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

At this point my vision got blurry and my hearing was like my head was full of bees.

Me after finding out everyone at work watched Squid Game in English and didn’t even know there was a Korean track

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A few years back when I worked in an office full of court reporters, I had my desk decked out full of Godzillas and one of the court reporters who was well into her 70s asked me what they were. She just plum never heard of Godzilla. I just couldn't fathom.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

I can buy it. Lots of people flat out have no idea what goes on in pop culture unless it’s gigantic.

And in this case, he's one of pop culture's most gigantic!!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

My copy of The Whale God finally shipped.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I hate to break it to you but most people aren't huge loving nerds like us.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

alright yeah he sounds cool, do it right and get him hooked. I wanna see matching Ghidorah tattoos posted here by the end of January

Gripweed posted:

My copy of The Whale God finally shipped.

Where did you order it from? I want to watch it, and I feel like the odds are good that I'll want to force others to, as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Big Mac posted:

alright yeah he sounds cool, do it right and get him hooked. I wanna see matching Ghidorah tattoos posted here by the end of January

Where did you order it from? I want to watch it, and I feel like the odds are good that I'll want to force others to, as well

SRS Cinema, they’re the ones doing the Blu-ray. They’re usually very good, this long delay is the only problem I’ve had with them.